About the Sony SA-RS5
Level up your Sony sound bar
The SA-RS5 speaker kit helps your Sony sound bar deliver even bigger, more immersive surround sound.
Level up your Sony sound bar
The SA-RS5 wireless speaker kit offers a big upgrade for Sony's HT-A7000 and HT-A5000 sound bar systems. They add sound that wraps around behind and above you, without the complexity of a traditional home theater system. These speakers feature a battery-powered design, so it's easier than ever to get immersive surround sound. They also work with compatible Sony A/V receivers for a convenient rear-speaker option.
If you've updated your sound bar with the latest firmware, you can experience Sony's popular 360 Spatial Sound Mapping feature. This powerful processing simulates multiple "phantom speakers" to make you feel like the sound is coming from every direction.
Each speaker comes equipped with a front-firing woofer and tweeter to provide clear surround-channel effects, plus an up-firing driver for overhead effects. Dual passive radiators boost each speaker's bass output. And the omnidirectional block design provides wider dispersion to help fill your room with sound.
Easy, flexible setup
This speaker pair connects to your sound bar or receiver wirelessly, so you don't need to run any wire across your floor. You can place the speakers on a tabletop or wall-mount them, depending on your preference. The speakers automatically pair up with the HT-A7000 or HT-A5000, and a simple press of a button quickly calibrates them to your space.
There are two ways to set the speakers up. You can either plug them into an AC outlet directly, or you can use their extensive 10-hour battery life to go completely cable-free. Charge 'em up, watch a movie, then tuck them out of sight when you're done. That's as easy as it gets.
- wireless surround speakers for select Sony sound bars and receivers (sold separately)
- works with compatible Sony A/V receivers
- works with HT-A7000 and HT-A5000 sound bars
- not compatible with other sound bars
- 90-watt built-in amplifier per speaker (180 watts total power)
- delivers rear-channel surround and overhead effects
- each speaker has an up-firing driver and two-way front-firing woofer and tweeter
- omnidirectional block design for wider sound dispersion
- dual passive radiators enhance bass output
- 360 Spatial Sound Mapping simulates multiple "phantom speakers" to make you feel like the sound is coming from every direction
- requires firmware update for compatible sound bar
- activate Active Sound Field Optimization with a single button press for easy setup
- dual microphones built into each speaker
- connect to AC power or operate cable-free on battery power
- battery life: 10 hours
- quick charging: 10-minute charge for 90 minutes of use
- keyhole slot for wall mounting
- dimensions (measured by Crutchfield) 5-3/4"W x 9-7/8"H x 5-3/8"D
- weight: 5.5 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SARS5
What's in the box:
- 2 Wireless rear speakers
- 2 AC power adapters (attached 6.5' DC cords)
- 2 Cable-guides
- 2 Mounting covers (pre-installed)
- Operating Instrutions
- Warranty Information
- Product Registration
Sony SA-RS5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sony SA-RS5
Features & specs
|Bipole or Dipole||No|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||0.5625|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||---|
|Power Range||up to 90|
|Frequency Response||200-20k Hz|
|Height (inches)||9 7/8|
|Width (inches)||5 3/4|
|Depth (inches)||5 3/8|
|Bracket Included||Fixed keyhole mount|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Wireless Rear Speakers: The Sony SA-RS5 wireless rear speakers, featuring 360 Spatial Sound Mapping, are designed specifically for Sony's HT-A7000 and HT-A5000 active soundbar speakers (sold separately). The SA-RS5 connects wirelessly to the compatible soundbar speaker via 5GHz RF. The wireless rear speakers provide the HT-A7000 or HT-A5000 soundbar with dedicated Dolby Atmos enabled left & right surround channels that enhance your home theater experience.
- Since the SA-RS5 wireless rear speakers were built specifically for use with the Sony HT-A7000 or HT-A5000 soundbar, setup is quick and easy. The wireless rear speakers automatically connect to the HT-A7000 or HTA-5000 soundbar when you power them up, so you can enjoy 360-degree surround right away.
- Only one set of SA-RS5 wireless rear speaker can be connected to the Sony HT-A7000 or HT-A5000 soundbar speaker system.
360 Spatial Sound Mapping: Sony's revolutionary 360 Spatial Sound Mapping technology creates multiple phantom speakers from a set of Sony SA-RS5 wireless powered rear speakers and a compatible Sony active soundbar speaker (including the HT-A7000 and HT-A5000 - sold separately). With multiple phantom speakers all around you arranged in the optimal soundfield for your space, you'll experience immersive Dolby Atmos and DTS:X effects. 360 Spatial Sound Mapping creates a wide listening area that fills every part of your room so your family and friends get the same sound experience. No longer is the listening area limited to just the front of the TV, but encompasses a much wider space.
Note: Available software update on the compatible Sony soundbar is required to to use the 360 Spatial Sound Mapping feature.
Sound Field Optimization: You can activate The SA-RS5's Sound Field Optimization feature by pressing the "OPTIMIZE" button on one of the speakers. The SA-RS5 wireless rear speakers, along with a compatible Sony soundbar will intelligently measure the distance between speakers and ceiling using dual microphones in each speaker for smart and easy set up.
2-Way Driver Design: Each wireless rear speaker utilizes a 2-way driver design that also incorporates an up-firing driver and dual passive radiators to create a rich and expansive soundstage with exceptional clarity. The SA-RS5 features a front-firing 0.5625" soft-dome tweeter and 2.875" x 3.25" cone woofer for your surround and surround back movie effects. There is also an upfiring 1.8125" x 2.25" driver that reflects sound off your ceiling for overhead effects from your Dolby Atmos and DTS:X movie soundtracks. In addition, there are dual "race-track" passive radiators that enhance low-end tones, giving the speakers and your system a boost in bass.
S-Master Digital Amplifier: Each wireless rear speaker employs a Sony designed S-Master digital amplifier rated at 90 watts for for dynamic, clear sound with low distortion. 10 watts is delivered to the tweeter, 40 watts to the woofer, and 40 watts to the up-firing driver in each speaker.
Mounting & Placement Options: Each wireless powered rear speaker features a keyhole slot to mount the speakers flat against a wall (screws sold separately). In addition, each speaker features a M5 threaded insert for using with optional articulating wall-mount brackets (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). You can also simply mount the wireless powered rear speakers on stands (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) or open shelves.
- The wireless powered speakers are labeled on the bottom for Right or Left channel location.
- The wireless rear speakers should be positioned behind or directly to the side of your main listening area. The speakers should be mounted a little bit above ear level when in your seated position. The wireless rear speakers can be positioned up to 30' from the soundbar.
- Do not install the rear speakers in bookshelf, right below the ceiling, or any location where the front, side, and up-firing drivers are obstructed.
Note: The keyhole slot and M5 threaded insert are hidden behind a plastic cover that must be removed to wall-mount the speakers.
AC or Battery Powered: The Sony SA-RS5 wireless speakers can be powered via AC or battery. Each speaker comes with an AC power adapter (attached 6.5' DC cord) that will plug into the back of the speaker and an AC wall outlet or surge protector/line conditioner (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). Each speakers also features a built-in rechargeable battery that can provide up to 10 hours of playback. The built-in batteries can be recharged using the included AC power adapters. It takes 4 hours to full charge each battery. Just 10 minutes of charge will provide up to 90 minutes of use.
Note: You can use the rear speakers during charging. In this case, it may take longer to charge the built-in batteries compared to when the speakers are turned off depending on the conditions of use. Therefore, it is recommended to turn off the speakers when charging.
2 questions already asked
I initially purchased the RS3 surround speakers but I just wasn't liking the sound. These speakers were an instant hit and I am now happier with my overall system. I appreciate the ease of exchange and upgrade. Another great reason I love Crutchfield!
Ronald from Kyle, TX