About the Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G
For a broader worldview
For a broader worldview
This ultra-wide-angle zoom from Sony is perfect for capturing sprawling landscapes, along with architecture and interior shots. With a minimum focus distance of eleven inches, you can also use it for beautiful close-ups with spacious backgrounds. A constant f/4 maximum aperture throughout the zoom range ensures your images will be consistently well-exposed by allowing you to change focal lengths without having to adjust exposure settings once you've gotten them dialed in.
This ultra-wide-angle lens captures expansive scenes with outstanding resolution and clarity.
Great photos indoors or out
While this lens's light-gathering ability makes it well-suited for indoor shooting, its rugged construction lends itself nicely to outdoor photography in just about any conditions. If you're out shooting on the beach and the wind starts kicking up sand, you won't have to worry — the dust- and moisture-resistant design means you can keep shooting even when the weather gets dicey.
- lens type: E-mount full frame (FE)
- compatible with Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras
- effective focal length:
- 12-24mm with full-frame sensor cameras
- 18-36mm with APS-C sensor cameras
- constant f/4 maximum aperture for consistent low-light performance throughout zoom range
- Nano AR anti-reflective coating for effective reduction of lens flare and ghosting
- dust- and moisture-resistant
- built-in petal-type lens hood
- 4 aspherical lens elements, 3 ED (extra-low dispersion) elements, and 1 Super ED element for better sharpness and contrast
- linear motor for precise focus control
- inner focus mechanism maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- focus hold button for added control
- minimum focus distance: 11"
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 17 elements in 13 groups
- 7-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- includes front and rear lens caps and lens case
- lens is 3-1/2" in diameter and 4-5/8" long
- weight: 20 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SEL1224G
What's in the box:
- FE 12-24mm F4 G zoom lens
- Front lens cap (installed)
- Rear lens cap (installed)
- Soft lens case
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions Before Using
- For Customers Using an A-series camera
- Limited Warranty
- European Guarantee Information Document
Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G reviews
I was looking for a wide angle zoom that didn't break the bank. I hesitated with this lens as it was a f/4 and I worried that it would come up short in low light. It performed wonderfully. While it is lighter weight and has a lighter feel to the lens, I did not mind as I pack this gear up steep hills.
Pros: Great value. Versatile.
Cons: Lighter construction. Shorter f/stop range.
0 of 1 found this helpful
More details on the Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G
Overview: The Sony FE 12-24mm f/4 G Master lens is a full frame (35mm) ultra-wide-angle zoom lens that is ideal for landscape and cityscape photography, as well as architecture and other wide-angle subjects. G Master lenses feature the most advanced optical technology to achieve spectacular resolution. The SEL1224G has a 7-blade circular aperture for beautiful bokeh (blurred background elements). The lens comes with front and rear lens caps, an integrated lens hood, and a soft storage case with a drawstring closure.
Compatibility: The SEL1224G has a Sony E-mount, and is compatible with α-series Interchangeable Lens Cameras with the E-mount, and works best with cameras with full frame (35mm) image sensors:
- Compatible Full Frame Cameras: The lens is fully compatible with the α9 (ILCE-9), α7 II (ILCE-7M2), and α7R II (ILCE-7RM2). It will work (with some restrictions) with the α7S II (ILCE-7SM2), α7S (ILCE-7S), α7R II (ILCE-7RM2), α7R (ILCE-7R), and α7 (ILCE-7).
- Other E-mount Cameras: The lens will fit these E-mount cameras, but because they are not full frame cameras, the image will be cropped: α6500 (fully compatible), α6300, α6000, α5100, α5000, α3500, α3000, NEX-3, NEX-3N, NEX-5, NEX-5N, NEX-5R, NEX-5T, NEX-6, NEX-7, NEX-C3, and NEX-F3.
Lens Elements: The SEL1224G has 17 lens elements in 11 groups, including three ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and one Super ED glass element to minimize chromatic aberration. Sony's original Nano AR Coating suppresses spurious reflections that cause flare and ghosting.
Focusing System: The lens features an advanced inner-focus mechanism with a Direct Drive Super Sonic-wave Motor (DDSSM). The focusing system quickly and accurately positions the large focusing elements inside the lens to give you precise and fast auto focusing.
Controls: The FE 12-24mm lens has two controls on the lens barrel: a focus hold button and an AF/MF switch. The focus hold button is customizable, and can be assigned other functions if needed. The AF/MF switch lets you switch between Auto Focusing and Manual Focusing.
Integrated Lens Hood: The SEL1224G has a built-in lens hood for blocking incidental light that may cause flare and ghosting to maintain optimum clarity and contrast. The supplied lens cap slips over the integrated lens hood.
- Focal Length: 12-24mm
- 35mm Equivalent for APS-C Cameras: 18-36mm
- Mount: Sony E-mount
- Maximum Aperture: f/4
- Minimum Aperture: f/22
- Angle of View: 122°-84° (35mm), 99°-61° (APS-C)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 0.92' (11.04")
- Maximum Magnification: 0.137x
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.426", Length 4.836" (5.281" with lens caps)
- Weight: 20 ounces