About the Sony SRS-RA5000
Room-filling sound with easy controls
Room-filling sound with easy controls
The SRS-RA5000 is the bigger brother to the Sony's SRS-RA3000 and it packs a serious punch. It has seven precisely placed speakers inside: a trio of up-firing speakers, three side-firing speakers, and a subwoofer at the bottom. The sound spreads out horizontally and vertically, essentially creating a large musical "bubble." When you're setting the speaker up, you can calibrate it for your room using the internal microphone. It'll play a few test tones and tune the sound for your listening area. It has easy-to-use function and volume touch controls on the side. And it can even adjust the volume automatically for you, keeping those more aggressive tracks at an acceptable volume level.
Envelop yourself in a sphere of music
If you want to take the immersion to the next level, the 'RA5000 also supports Sony's 360 Reality Audio format.
Tracks recorded in this format really put you in the middle of the studio or on the stage with the artist. They have instruments, vocalists, and in some cases the audience "mapped" inside of a 360° sphere by sound engineers. From there, those engineers adjust each band member's distance and angle in relation to the center of the sphere.
If you don't have any 360 Reality Audio tracks, don't worry— you can achieve roughly the same effect by pressing the Immersive Audio Enhancement button. That'll trigger the speaker to process the incoming audio track using a unique Sony algorithm that simulates a 3D soundfield so your regular music sources will still have plenty of depth and three-dimensionality.
There's no shortage of ways to get your tunes going. The speaker is Wi-Fi enabled. It supports Chromecast, Spotify® Connect, and Sony's Music Center app. The Music Center app also lets you adjust sound settings, including the EQ. Don't feel like going over Wi-Fi? Pair your device up to the RA5000 over Bluetooth and stream away. Taking that a step further, you can pair it up to a compatible Sony BRAVIA® TV and enjoy enhanced sound with your shows and movies
This Sony speaker works with Amazon Alexa and Google Home for convenient voice control. Add the speaker to a speaker group in the Google Home or Amazon Alexa app and from there, you can use your voice (and voice controller) to get your tunes going.
When I unboxed the SRS-RA5000, the first thing I noticed was its elegant design — it's the kind of speaker that makes a visual as well as an aural impression. Setup was straightforward and didn't take much time at all. After getting the ‘RA5000 connected to my Google Home assistant over Wi-Fi, I pulled up TIDAL and got to work.
Being a metalhead at heart, I began with “Shiroyama” by Sabaton, streaming at 16-bit/44.1 kHz. Certainly not the heaviest song in my "Frequently Played" list, but I know it well. With its crunchy guitars, layered synths, and Joakim Brodén's unique baritone voice, there's a lot to unravel. I was pleasantly surprised when the first few notes came in and everything was well separated. The synths were placed behind the guitars and the mix's layers felt well balanced. The bass was punchy and helped to accentuate the music without taking center stage. When Joakim's vocals came in, the energy was dialed up even further. I found it hard to not bang my head while the song played.
After that promising opener, I was ready to play some 360 Reality Audio tracks, since that's what this speaker was made for. TIDAL has a bunch of 360 RA playlists on tap, and I found some songs I was familiar with. Unashamedly, the first one I played was “Toxic” by Britney Speakers (complete 180, am I right?)
There was a great deal of airiness to the track that almost made me feel like I was in the studio. The iconic opening violin sample played loud and clear without being shrill or harsh, and then the beat kicked in and brought the bass along with it. The amount of clean, tight lows the SRS-RA5000 reproduced left me smiling. Before I knew it, I was grooving right along with the song. Britney's vocal performance really shined, too, with her breathy lines coming through cleanly above the beat.
The last song I tried was a classic: David Bowie's “Space Oddity.” The acoustic guitar that starts the track off had body and richness that I was surprised the speaker could show off. When Bowie's famous “Ground control to Major Tom” line came in, a chill went through my body. I hadn't heard the song in a long time and it was suddenly surrounding me in all its splendor. The speaker did a fantastic job of putting me in the middle of the music and making it feel realistic, showcasing the emotion in both David Bowie's voice and the instruments accompanying it.
- supports 360 Reality Audio tracks for three-dimensional sound
- delivers ambient, room-filling sound by spreading sound vertically and horizontally
- seven speakers total:
- three 1-7/8" up-firing speakers
- three 1-7/8" side-firing speakers
- one 2-3/4" down-firing subwoofer
- Immersive Audio Enhancement, a unique Sony algorithm, helps to create 3D sound fields when 360° Reality Audio tracks aren't available
- speaker can calibrate itself to your room using its built-in microphone
- maintains consistent volume level across tracks by analyzing music data
- humidity resistant — works well in bathrooms and kitchens
- plays high-res audio files
- built-in Wi-Fi
- Bluetooth for wireless audio streaming from compatible devices
- connects wirelessly via Bluetooth to Sony BRAVIA TVs to enhance TV audio
- works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice controllers
- 3.5mm analog input for hardwired connection
Wireless music options:
- Chromecast built-in for music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, or laptops
- play Spotify directly through your speaker using the Spotify Connect app on your device for full remote control
- can be added to a speaker group through the Google Home or Amazon Alexa app for multi-room audio
- compatible with the Sony Music Center app for music playback, EQ adjustment, and control
- 9-1/4"W x 12-7/8"H x 8-7/8"D
- weight: 10.8 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SRSRA5000
What's in the box:
- Wireless audio speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 57" DC cord)
- 22" AC power cord
- Operating Instructions
- Precautions/Specifications booklet
- Product Registration
- Warranty Information
Sony SRS-RA5000 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony SRS-RA5000
Features & specs
|Wi-Fi Bands||2.4, 5GHz|
|Tweeter Size (Inches)||1.8125|
|Midrange Size (Inches)||1.8125|
|Woofer Size (Inches)||2.875|
|Watts RMS (Continuous)||56|
|Watts Maximum (Peak)||Not given|
|Frequency Response||Not given|
|Max. Digital Audio Bit Depth||24-bit|
|Max. Digital Audio Sample Rate||96 kHz|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Bose Home Speaker||No|
|Amazon Music||Amazon Music HD|
|Control by app||Apple iOS, Android|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Variety Of Sources
Omni-Directional Sound: The Sony's SRS-RA5000 delivers ambient room-filling sound that envelops you in wall-to-wall and floor-to-ceiling audio. A trio of up-firing 1.8125" tweeters spread music vertically while three 1.8125" side-firing midrange drivers spread sound horizontally. These are complemented by single 2.875" woofer which floods the room with rich, deep bass.
360 Reality Audio: Immerse yourself in sound all around you with 360 Reality Audio; as real as if you are there at a live concert or with the artist recording in a studio - music has never been so immersive and so real. Because 360 Reality Audio tracks incorporate three-dimensional sound location data, they're able to deliver the ultimate in ambient room-filling sound. You'll need to subscribe to a 360 Reality Audio music streaming service (including Amazon Music, Tidal, or Nugs.Net) to enjoy this new music experience. You'll also need to download the Sony Music Center app onto your Apple iOS or Android device, as well as connect your compatible mobile device and the Sony SRS-RA5000 speaker to the same WiFi network.
Note: You can't play 360 Reality Audio music using a Bluetooth® connection.
Immersive Audio Enhancement: If the soundtrack you want to listen to is not available in 360 Reality Audio, you can use Sony's Immersive Audio Enhancement, a unique and proprietary algorithm that effectively delivers your favorite stereo tracks as ambient room-filling sound.
Auto Sound & Volume Calibration: No matter where you setup the Sony SRS-RA5000 speaker, it automatically calibrates for optimum audio performance using an internal microphone and unique Sony algorithm. Even if you change the location of the speaker, when you turn it on and play music, the speaker automatically calibrates the sound to suit the location. The Sony SRS-RA5000 will also analyze every music track and automatically playing them at a consistent volume, so you don't have to keep adjusting the volume level.
Note: The effectiveness of the Auto Sound Calibration will vary depending on the surround environment and music being played back.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Sony SRS-RA5000 speaker can be positioned on a desk, night stand, shelf, counter or other flat tabletop surface. With its compact size and small footprint you can fit the speaker just about anywhere. Where ever you put it, automatic calibration and volume control ensures optimum audio performance.
Note: There is no included bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.
AC Power Adapter: The Sony SRS-RA5000 comes with an AC power adapter and cord that plugs into the back of the speaker and into an AC wall outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Note: The Sony SRS-RA5000 speaker is not battery powered.
Variety Of Sources
WiFi Certified: The Sony SRS-RA5000 is WiFi certified and features 2.4/5.0GHz Dual-Band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) support for connection to your home or office WiFi network router and ISP (internet service provider). By connecting the Sony speaker to your WiFi network and ISP, you can access Chromecast built-in apps and Spotify Connect, as well voice control using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa device (sold separately). The Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) or the Sony Music Center App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) can be used for WiFi network setup.
Note: The SRS-RA5000 is not equipped with a hard-wired Ethernet connection.
Chromecast built-in: Use the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) to enable Chromecast built-in. Chromecast built-in gives you access to hundreds of online music streaming services, internet radio, and podcasts. Chromecast built-in streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the 24-bit/96kHz sound quality and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app on your Apple iOS or Android OS device to start streaming to the Sony SRS-RA5000 speaker. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible smartphone or tablet. Chromecast built-in supports FLAC, WAV, AAC, and MP3 music files. While you cast your music, you can still use your smartphone to answer a call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Sony speaker.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services and search by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps i include Apple Music, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, YouTube Music, iHeart Radio, and more (subscriptions and fees will apply). You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the Sony speaker. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in. If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome web browser to the speaker.
- Multiroom Audio: Add more Chromecast built-in speakers throughout your home to create a whole house audio experience. You can play the same or different Chromecast built-in compatible music app (like Tidal, Spotify, or Pandora) on all speakers or groups of speakers in different rooms of your home. You'll be able control the multiroom audio system from the Google Home app on your Apple iOS or Android device, or with your voice using a Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Assistant enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Sony speaker and your Google Assistant device must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Note: Chromecast built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service. Click here for a complete list of Chromecast built-in compatible apps.
Sony Music Center App with Alexa: With the Sony Music Center App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), you can link the SRS-RA5000 speaker with an Amazon Alexa enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) for access to select music apps that support Alexa voice control. Compatible music apps include Amazon Music, Apple Music, Tidal, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, and more. By simply talking to an Alexa enabled device (sold separately), you can stream these music apps to the Sony speaker.
Spotify Connect: If you have a premium subscription to Spotify and have the Spotify App on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device, you can stream Spotify to the Sony SRS-RA5000 speaker. Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists
Built-In Bluetooth 4.2: The Sony SRS-RA5000 incorporates Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). It offers SSP (Simple Secure Pairing) and NFC (Near Field Communication) for fast and easy connection to your Bluetooth-enabled source devices.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music, music apps and other audio content from your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer to the Sony speaker. In addition, to the Bluetooth standard SBC music codec, the SRS-RA5000 also supports AAC for better audio performance with Apple iOS devices. You can control Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track functions from the speaker. Advanced music browsing and song/artist/album information will still be done from your Bluetooth-enabled source device.
- Sony TV Control: You can also connect the SRS-RA5000 speaker to your compatible Sony TV via Bluetooth. When connecting a compatible Sony TV via Bluetooth, you can listen to sound of the TV or source device that is connected to the TV through the Sony SRS-RA5000 speaker. You can also turn the speaker on/off, adjust the volume, and mute the sound by using the TV remote control when connecting your compatible Sony TV to the speaker wirelessly via Bluetooth.
Note: This speaker does not support Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls.
Aux Input: In addition to WiFi and Bluetooth connectivity, the Sony SRS-RA5000 is equipped with a rear-panel 3.5mm Aux input for connection of an external audio source with an analog or headphone output.
Top-Panel Controls: Capacitive touch controls on the top-panel of the speaker include Power, Source, Volume, Play/Pause, and Sound Mode.
Google Home App: Download the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) onto your compatible smartphone or tablet device. The Google Home app is used to connect the speaker to your WiFi network router, access Chromecast built-in apps, offer support for multiroom audio distribution with other Chromecast built-in speakers, and provide voice control when connected to an external Google Assistant enable device (sold separately).
Sony Music Center App: Download the Sony Music Center App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to your smartphone and enjoy wireless control of the Sony SRS-RA5000. The Sony Music Center app supports Power on/off functions, Volume up/down control, linking of Amazon Alexa devices (sold separately), and a variety of audio settings (including 360 Reality Audio, Immersive Audio Enhancement, and Preset EQ).
Voice Control: The Sony SRS-RA5000 offers support for voice control using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa enabled device (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). With the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 12.0+ and Android OS 6.0+) and Chromecast built-in, you can use a Google Assistant enabled device to control music playback with only your voice. With the Sony Music Center App (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+), you can link an Amazon Alexa device to control music apps and group other Amazon Alexa devices.
Note: Voice command operations are not available solely on the speaker. By using a Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa enable device (sold separately), you can use voice commands to control music playback.
Auto Power On/Off: The speaker can be setup so it will automatically turn on if a Bluetooth device or network device is operated. The start-up time becomes shorter and the speaker will become operational sooner than in normal start-up. The Sony speaker can also be setup to automatically turn off if there is no audio playback or no operation for approximately 15 minutes.