About the Sony SRS-ZR5
High-resolution sound in a small speaker
High-resolution sound in a small speaker
The Sony SRS-ZR5 wireless powered speaker has a sleek, compact design that blends with any décor. But the full, richly detailed sound it delivers makes it stand out in any room. This speaker can play high-resolution audio files, such as those available through HDtracks. And because the ‘ZR5 has both built-in Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, an entire world of wireless music is at your disposal.
Multi-room audio with SongPal Link
With Sony's free SongPal app downloaded to your smartphone, you can make your SRS-ZR5 part of a Sony multi-room audio system at home. Remotely control your ‘ZR5 and other compatible Sony speakers — such as the SRS-ZR7 — on your home Wi-Fi network through the built-in SongPal Link. Group your connected speakers so that the same song plays throughout the house, or only certain speakers play it. Or even have every speaker accessing a different source and playing a different song.
More ways to listen
With a future firmware update scheduled for the summer of 2016, you'll be able to pair two SRS-ZR5s together for high-quality stereo sound. Or you can create a simple A/V system with just a TV and the SRS-ZR5. The speaker has an HDMI (ARC) jack specifically designed for connecting to a TV, for better sound with movies and shows.
Entertainment options with SongPal
The SongPal app makes it easy to select music from a variety of sources. If you're a Spotify® Premium subscriber, you can wirelessly access all of your favorite playlists and albums. Google Cast (now called Chromecast built-in) lets you stream audio over Wi-Fi from a range of compatible apps on compatible mobile devices. And you can easily access popular online music services such as Pandora®, Deezer, and TuneIn Radio. The SRS-ZR5 is DLNA-compatible, so you can access your digital music library on your PC or server, using the SongPal app — even high-resolution audio files.
- Wi-Fi connection for playing music stored your phone or tablet, and streaming from services including Pandora® and Spotify®
- Bluetooth-compatible with LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming
- DLNA for streaming music from Android smartphones, tablets, and compatible PCs
- one 9/16" tweeter, one 2-7/16" woofer, and dual passive radiators for reinforced bass
- free Sony SongPal app:
- available from Apple® Store and Google Play
- features Google Cast (now called Chromecast built-in) for audio streaming over Wi-Fi with compatible devices and apps
- control playback, volume, and EQ
- connect to compatible Sony wireless speakers and components
- remotely access music stored on your PC or NAS drive
- access streaming music services such as Pandora, Spotify, Deezer, and TuneIn Radio
- SongPal Link groups linked speakers to play the same song simultaneously, or control each individually
- NFC touch pairing with compatible Android phones
- DSEE HX and ClearAudio+ sound modes for restoring compressed music
- minijack auxiliary input
- HDMI (ARC) jack for audio input from your TV
- accepts stereo PCM signals only; Dolby Digital not supported
- USB Type A input for connecting a USB drive or compatible Sony Walkman
- Ethernet jack for connection to a wired home network
- AC power required, adapter included
- 3-15/16"W x 6-3/8"H x 3-15/16"D
- weight: 3.75 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # SRSZR5
What's in the box:
- Wireless active speaker
- 5' AC power cord
- Operating Instruction
- Software Update Information
- Warranty Information. End User License Agreement
Sony SRS-ZR5 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony SRS-ZR5
Two-Way/Dual Passive Radiator Speaker System: The Sony SRS-ZR5 Bluetooth speaker utilizes a two-way driver and dual passive radiator system for immersive sound. The speaker is equipped with a 0.5625" dome tweeter, one 2.75" cone woofer, and dual side-firing 3.25" x 2" oval passive radiators. The dual passive radiators allow the SRS-ZR5 to deliver dynamic bass, despite its compact size.
Sony Audio Technologies: The SRS-ZR5 incorporates three Sony-unique audio technologies for high-resolution audio playback and to revitalize your favorite compressed digital music tracks.
- S-Master HX Digital Amplifier: S-Master HX digital amp technology, developed for high-resolution audio, reduces distortion and noise across a wide frequency range for rich, full-bodied sound.
- DSEE HX: DSEE-HX enhances high-frequency audio response and upscales existing audio signals from MP3, AAC, and WMA music file to high-resolution levels (available through Sony SongPal app for Apple iOS and Android).
- ClearAudio+: ClearAudio+ renders a vibrant soundfield with immersive bass, full mids, and pronounced highs for all your music tracks (available through Sony SongPal app for Apple iOS and Android).
192kHz/24-bit High-Resolution Audio Playback: The Sony SRS-ZR5 speaker system supports a wide variety of compressed, uncompressed, and high resolution music files (up to 192kHz/24-bit).
- Compressed Music Files:
- MP3 with a sampling frequency of 32/44.1/48 kHz and a bit-rate of 16-320 kbps
- WMA with a sampling frequency of 32/44.1/48 kHz and a bit-rate of 16-320 kbps
- AAC with a sampling frequency of 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz and a bit-rate of 16-320 kbps
- High Res Music Files:
- WAV with sampling frequency of 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz and bit-depth of 16/24-bit
- FLAC with sampling frequency of 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz and bit-depth of 16/24-bit
- AIFF with sampling frequency of 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz and bit-depth of 16/24-bit
- ALAC with sampling frequency of 32/44.1/48/88.2/96/176.4/192 kHz and bit-depth of 16/24-bit
- DSD with sampling frequency of 2.8/5.6MHz and bit-depth of 1-bit
Wireless Stereo Pair: You can pair two Sony SRS-ZR5 speakers together to create a wider, stereo soundstage. A firmware update (version 3.01) may be necessary for the Wireless Stereo function.
Wireless Surround: You can pair two Sony SRS-ZR5 speakers together with a compatible Sony soundbar (HT-CT800) or receiver (STR-DN1070) for wireless rear surround. A firmware update to the speakers and the soundbar or receiver may be necessary.
Wired or Wireless Network Connectivity: The Sony SRS-ZR5 features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and a built-in 2.4/5GHz dual-band WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n) receiver that allows you to connect the speaker system to your home network via a wired or wireless connection. By connecting the system to your home network you are able to stream select online music services and internet radio from Google Cast, as well as access music files on your DLNA music server or Windows PC. A WiFi network connection can be configured using your computer, Sony's SongPal app, an Apple iOS device, or WPS (WiFi Protected Setup).
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 a/b/g/n compatible wireless router for WiFi connection (2.4GHz or 5GHz).
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
- WiFi Security: WPS, WEP 64-bit, WEP 128-bit, WPA/WPA2-PSK (AES), or WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP)
Chromecast Built-in: Chromecast Built-in lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your from your Android (OS 2.3+) smartphone tablet, Apple iOS (7.0+) device, Mac computer, Windows PC, or Chromebook to the Sony wireless speaker system and your speakers. Chromecast Built-in certified apps include Google Play Music, TuneIn, Pandora, iHeart Radio, and more (click here for a complete list of compatible apps). Chromecast Built-in streams your music directly from the cloud instead of from your phone, so you won't lose any sound quality. Additional Chromecast Built-in features include:
- Simple-to-Use: Chromecast Built-in allows you to search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system or draining your battery. Friends and family can even use their own Chromecast Built-in compatible phone or tablet to cast music to your system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
- Google Home: Multiple Chromecast Built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast Built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase the Google Home Wireless Speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Sony SRS-ZR5 & the Google Home Speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Spotify Connect: With the Spotify app on your Apple iOS or Android smartphone, you've got instant access to millions of songs. And now you can stream those same songs from your smartphone to the Sony SRS-ZR5 by using Spotify Connect; simply hit play on the app to start streaming music. What's more, when you've been listening to Spotify on your smartphone outside and come inside, the song immediately begins to stream to the speaker system for uninterrupted music enjoyment. You can also personalize playlists and receive phone calls while listening to music. The Spotify app for Apple iOS/Android devices and a premium account are required.
DLNA: The Sony SRS-ZR5 speaker system is DLNA certified. By connecting the Sony SRS-ZR5 to your home's network, you can wirelessly listen to music stored on your Windows Vista/7/8 PC or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server. Compatible music formats include MP3/WMA/AAC (32-48kHz; 16-320kbps) and WAV/FLAC/ALAC/AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit).
Bluetooth Music Streaming: The Sony SRS-ZR5 features built-in Bluetooth (version 4.2) with support for A2DP wireless audio streaming and multiple audio codecs like LDAC, AAC, and SBC.
- Wireless Audio Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows Phone/PC, or Mac computer to the Sony SRS-ZR5 speaker system. The speaker automatically selects the optimum compatible codec for your Bluetooth device so you can enjoy high-grade wireless sound. You'll continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device for music navigation and song/artist information display.
- LDAC Codec Support: In addition to support for Bluetooth standard SBC codec and Apple's AAC codec, the speaker system also supports Sony's newest LDAC codec. LDAC is a new audio technology from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth. With 3x the data transmitted (compared to regular Bluetooth), LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music.
Pairing: The speaker system also offers Simple Secure Pairing (SSP) and Near Field Communication (NFC). Once paired, the speaker system will automatically re-connect to your device when within range (up to 33'). The unit can pair with up to 9 devices, but only one device can be connected and used at a time.
- Simple Secure Pairing (SSP: The SRS-ZR5 pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth enabled devices with a single press of a button thanks to SSP (Simple Secure Pairing); there is no PIN to enter.
- Near Field Communication (NFC): The SRS-ZR5 pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth enabled devices (up to 9) with a single press of a button thanks to SSP (Simple Secure Pairing). Bluetooth-enabled devices (like Android 2.3.3 or later) that have Near Field Communication (NFC) are even easier to pair with; simply touch the device to the NFC logo on the speaker and they're paired. NFC Easy Connect app is needed for your Android device, unless you have Android OS 4.1 or later installed.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony SRS-ZR5 system.
SongPal Remote App: By downloading Sony's free SongPal remote app (from Apple's App Store or Google Play), you can use your Apple iOS (7.0+) or Android (4.0.3+) device to control the Sony SRS-ZR5 speaker system via a WiFi network connection. From the SongPal remote app, you can select music sources and customize sound settings of the speaker system. You'll be able to browse music stored on your DLNA music server or connected USB device. You can also access the system's GoogleCast online music services. The SongPal app will display song/artist information and album art on your compatible smartphone or tablet. The SongPal app also provides WiFi connection setup for the SRS-ZR5 system from your smartphone.
SongPal Link: Use SongPal Link to group selected Sony soundbars and speakers together to stream the same or different music content to multiple rooms of your home or office. Choose from online music services, Apple iOS/Android devices, Windows/Mac computers, or your DLNA network. This feature requires the SongPal Remote App on your Apple iOS or Android device, plus at least a 2.4Ghz wireless band on your wireless router. For a better experience, Sony recommends configuring your wireless band router to a 5Ghz wireless band.
USB-A Port: The SRS-ZR5 is also equipped with a rear-panel USB-A port that allows you to connect a USB mass storage class (MSC) memory device; such as your Sony Walkman or USB thumbdrive. You can enjoy MP3/WMA/AAC (32-48kHz; 16-320kbps), WAV/FLAC/ALAC/AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), and DSD (2.8/5.6MHz; 1-bit) music files on your USB device through the Sony speaker system. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the unit's USB port (5V/1A).
Note: This USB port does not support Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad and Android smartphone/tablets.
HDMI ARC: The SRS-ZR5 is fitted with a rear-panel HDMI ARC jack for connection to your TV. You'll be able to listen to your TV programs and Smart TV apps through the SRS-ZR5 speaker system. The speaker's HDMI ARC jack only supports 2ch PCM audio.
Aux Input: In addition to Bluetooth and Network connectivity, the Sony SRS-ZR5 is fitted with a 3.5mm auxiliary input for connection of almost any portable audio player with a headphone output.
Top-Panel Controls: The Sony SRS-ZR5 speaker features top-panel controls for easy access to Power, Function (Source), & Volume Up/Down.
Mounting Options: The Sony SRS-ZR5 speaker is fitted with four rubber feet so it can sit safely and securely on a flat surface; like a table-top, shelf, desk, or stand. There is also one 1/4"-20 threaded insert on the rear-panel of the speaker, so you can wall mount it using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately).
Power Requirements: The Sony SRS-ZR5 wireless speaker operates off of standard household current using its internal power supply and detachable AC power cord. This unit is not battery powered.
Auto Standby Mode: The SRS-ZR5 automatically enters the Standby mode, if the speaker does not sense an audio signal or there is no operation of the speaker for more than 15 minutes.
Software/Firmware Updates: You can update to the latest software version of the SRS-ZR5 through its wireless network connection.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked