About the Sony STR-DE897
The STR-DE897 is your ticket to wraparound home theater sound! If you've been impressed by 5.1-channel home theater systems, wait 'til you hear what 7.1 surround adds to the experience it creates even more expansive, realistic soundfields that totally immerse you in the movie experience. The 'DE897 packs 100 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 7 channels of clean Sony power, guaranteeing room-rocking multichannel sound for all your music and movies. And if you've got a 7.1 speaker system, you can set this receiver to transform 5.1 and 6.1 Dolby® Digital and DTS® soundtracks into 7.1 surround sound automatically!
The STR-DE897's learning/multibrand remote gives you convenient control of your entire system. It's even got programmable macros that let you easily execute a whole series of commands with the press of a single button, you can fire up your whole home theater system and have it ready to go.
You get plenty of connectivity for hooking up all your audio/video components, including 6 digital inputs, 5 A/V inputs, and HDTV-compatible component video switching. The front panel offers A/V and optical digital inputs, for quick, easy hookup of camcorders, game systems, and portable audio players. Composite-to-S-video conversion simplifies connection to your TV. This receiver even offers two multichannel inputs, for hooking up high-resolution audio components like SACD and DVD-Audio players. One of these is a 7.1-channel input, which keeps you prepared for future formats, too.
- 100 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000Hz) at 0.09% THD
- Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo:6, and Dolby Pro Logic® II processing
- Digital Cinema Sound modes
- 32-bit processor
- dual-room/dual-source audio (preamp stereo output for 2nd room)
- learning/multibrand remote with macros
- composite-to-S-video conversion
- analog direct mode
- two multichannel inputs (one 7.1, one 5.1)
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out, 80MHz bandwidth)
- digital inputs: 4 optical (including 1 front-panel), 2 coaxial
- optical digital output
- 3 audio inputs (including phono) and 5 A/V inputs (including 3 S-video and 1 front-panel)
- Control A1II for simpler control of compatible Sony components
- 30 AM/FM presets
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- banana plug-compatible binding posts for all main-room speakers
- 16-7/8" W x 6-3/16"H x 15-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # STR-DE897S
What's in the box:
- Silver AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-PG413)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with attached coax connector
- Operating Instructions
- Easy Setup Guide
- Important Safeguards
- Owner Registration Card
- Warranty sheet
- Caution sheet concerning proper way to connect speaker wires (taped to top of receiver)
- Sheet on correct loudspeaker connections using the binding posts (taped to top of receiver)
Sony STR-DE897 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony STR-DE897
Features & specs
Composite-to-S-Video Upconversion: The STR-DE897 receiver can convert standard (composite) video signals to S-Video signals for output from the S-Video monitor jacks.
Dual Room/Dual Source Operation: The receiver has a set of fixed-level 2nd zone stereo RCA line outputs, allowing you send analog audio signals to another zone. For the 2nd zone audio source, you can select one of the following sources: MD/Tape, SA-CD/CD, Tuner, or "Source" (the currently selected source in the main zone). Since the 2nd zone line output level is fixed, the 2nd zone audio signal must be fed to a separate amplifier or self-powered speakers equipped with a volume control.
Note: When a source connected solely via the multi-channel inputs or a digital input is selected, no audio is output from the 2nd zone jacks.
32-Bit Processor: This receiver employs dual 32-bit processors, providing precise surround decoding for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS Neo:6, Dolby Pro Logic, and Dolby Pro Logic II, plus Sony's Digital Cinema Sound modes.
Surround Back Decoding: This function lets you select the decoding mode for the surround back signals of the multi-channel input stream. When you select "SB Auto" and the input stream contains 6.1-channel information, the appropriate decoder is applied to decode the surround back signal (Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES Matrix, or DTS-ES Discrete decoder). When you select "SB Matrix", Dolby Digital EX is applied to decode the surround back signal regardless of the 6.1-channel (or 5.1-channel) information. In either mode, if two surround back speakers are connected, the output will be 7.1 channels. When "Off" is selected, no surround back decoding is performed.
Digital Cinema Sound (DCS): Digital Cinema Sound is the concept name of the surround technology for home theater developed by Sony. DCS uses the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) technology to reproduce the sound characteristics of an actual cinema cutting studio in Hollywood. When played at home, DCS will create a powerful theater effect that mimics the artistic combination of sound and action as envisioned by the movie director. The DCS soundfields used in this receiver include:
- Digital Cinema Sound EX A: Reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio. This mode is great for watching most any type of movies.
- Digital Cinema Sound EX B: Reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio. This mode is ideal for watching science fiction or action movies with lots of sound effects.
- Digital Cinema Sound EX C: Reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment scoring stage. This mode is ideal for watching musicals or films where orchestra music is featured in the soundtrack.
- Headphone Theater: Allows you to experience a theater-like environment while listening through a pair of headphones.
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital EX
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music)
- DTS-ES (Discrete 6.1 and Matrix 6.1)
- DTS Neo:6 (Cinema and Music)
- Cinema Studio Ex. A (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Cinema Studio Ex. B (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Cinema Studio Ex. C (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Jazz Club
- Live Concert
Headphone Sound Fields: When headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:
- HP 2CH: outputs the sound in stereo. Standard 2-channel sources completely bypass the sound field processing. Multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2-channels.
- HP Direct: outputs the analog signals without processing by the equalizer, sound field processor
- HP Multi 1/2: outputs the analog signals input to the Multi Channel Input 1 or 2 jacks
- HP Theater (Digital Cinema Sound): allows you to experience a theater-like environment
Sound Field Customizing: Depending on the Mode selected, you can adjust the following parameters:
- Front Balance: Left +8 to +1, Center Balance, Right +1 to +8 (17 steps)
- Center Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Surround Left Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Surround Right Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Surround Back Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments (if only 1 surround back speaker is connected)
- Surround Back Left Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments (if 2 surround back speakers are connected)
- Surround Back Right Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments (if 2 surround back speakers are connected)
- Subwoofer Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Dynamic Range Compressor: allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You may select standard or maximum compression or off. Note: This feature only works with Dolby Digital sources.
Auto Format Direct: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to select the decoding mode you want for your audio sound. When you select A.F.D. Auto, the receiver automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, or standard 2-channel stereo) and performs the proper decoding if necessary. You can also select Pro Logic, Pro Logic II Movie, Pro Logic II Music, Neo:6 Cinema, or Neo:6 Music to apply the appropriate decoding for movies or normal stereo sources such as CDs.
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of the front speakers from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB steps.
Multi-Channel Inputs: Although this unit features built-in Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS processing, it also has two multi-channel inputs: a 5-1-channel input and a 7.1-channel input for use with external multi-channel decoders.
Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and program source may be given an index name of up to 8 characters. For example, two VCRs can be displayed as 8MM and VHS.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 30 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps.
Remote Control: This receiver is equipped with the RM-PG413 wireless remote control. The remote's dimensions are: Length=8.268", Height=1.031", Width=1.913".
Pre-Programmed: The remote is pre-coded to operate this receiver, plus multiple brands of components, such as VCRs, DVDs, MDs, DAT decks, cassette decks, TVs, CDs, Laserdiscs, DSS, Cable boxes, and tuners.
Learning Function: When a remote control code is not included in the presets stored in the remote, it is possible for the remote to learn the code. You can program up to 80 keys for the Learning function.
Macros: The remote features 2 Macro Play functions, each allowing you to link up to 10 IR codes in sequential order as a single command.
Assignable Digital Inputs: The 4 optical digital and 2 coaxial digital inputs are assigned to specific sources (DVD, SA-CD/CD, TV/SAT, VIDEO 3, MD/TAPE). If desired, you can re-assign any of them to the Video 1 or Video 2 inputs.
Front Panel Inputs: The STR-DE897 features a set of front panel inputs with stereo RCA jacks, a composite video input and an optical digital input.
Speaker Outputs: There are binding post connectors for the Front A left and right, Front B left and right, Center, Surround left and right and Surround Back speaker outputs. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs. The front A and B speaker pairs are wired in parallel.
SACD Output: No sound is output from the receiver when you play a Super Audio CD on an SACD player connected to the Optical digital input labeled "SA-CD/CD In." You must connect an SACD player via the analog input labeled "SA-CD/CD In" or one of the multi-channel analog inputs.
Control A1 II: The Control A1 II Control System was designed to simplify the operation of audio systems composed of separate Sony components. Control A1 II connections provide a path for the transmission of control signals, which enable automatic operation and control features usually associated with integrated systems. This receiver has a single Control A1 II mini-jack output.
HD Component Video Pass-Through: This unit features 2 component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals.
The Sony STR-DE897 replaces these items
- 100 watts x 6 full-bandwidth rated
- Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, and Pro Logic II
- learning/multibrand remote with macros