About the Sony STR-DE998
The STR-DE998 delivers compelling 360° surround sound for all your movies, TV shows, and music. This receiver teams up powerful seven-channel amplification and advanced processing to take full advantage of all your home theater speakers. Sony's also loaded the 'DE998 with plenty of helpful features that add convenience and flexibility to your system.
Dual-room/dual-source output lets you enjoy surround sound in your main room while a housemate listens to stereo music in a second room. The 'DE998 can power speakers in both rooms at the same time, so no additional amplifier is necessary. For main-room listening, analog direct mode lets you bypass the tone controls and digital circuitry for the cleanest possible sound from analog sources.
The 'DE998's sophisticated video conversion lets you connect all your video gear to your TV with one component video connection. This streamlines hookup, while letting you view each source in its best possible picture quality. And Sony's A/V Sync feature lets you correct those occasional instances where the sound and picture aren't correctly synchronized on a DVD or HDTV program.
The STR-DE998 gives you plenty of digital and analog inputs for building an impressive system including front-panel inputs for easy hookup of camcorders, game systems, and portable audio players. The learning/multibrand LCD remote offers intuitive control of all your audio/video components.
- 110 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000Hz) at 0.09% THD
- Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES® and Dolby Pro Logic® IIx processing
- Sony Digital Cinema Sound modes
- dual-room/dual-source audio (powered and fixed line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room; using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.1 home theater in main room)
- learning/multibrand LCD remote with macros
- A/V Sync helps align out-of-sync audio and video for digital sources
- analog direct mode
- 7.1-channel analog input for connecting an SACD or DVD-Audio player
- component video conversion
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out, 80MHz bandwidth)
- digital inputs: 4 optical (including 1 front-panel), 2 coaxial
- optical digital output
- 3 audio inputs (including phono) and 5 A/V inputs (including 4 S-video and 1 front-panel)
- on-screen display (requires TV with A/V input)
- 30 AM/FM presets
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- 16-7/8"W x 6-3/16"H x 16-7/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # STRDE998
What's in the box:
- Black AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAE001)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with attached slip-on coax connector
- Operating Instructions
- Easy Setup Guide
- Important Safeguards
- Product Registration sheet
- Warranty sheet
- Sheet on correct loudspeaker connections using the binding posts (taped to top of receiver)
Sony STR-DE998 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sony STR-DE998
Features & specs
Inputs and Outputs Notes
Digital Cinema Sound (DCS): Digital Cinema Sound is the concept name of the surround technology for home theater developed by Sony. DCS uses the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) technology to reproduce the sound characteristics of an actual cinema cutting studio in Hollywood. When played at home, DCS will create a powerful theater effect that mimics the artistic combination of sound and action as envisioned by the movie director. The DCS soundfields used in this receiver include:
- Digital Cinema Sound EX A: Reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio. This mode is great for watching most any type of movies.
- Digital Cinema Sound EX B: Reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio. This mode is ideal for watching science fiction or action movies with lots of sound effects.
- Digital Cinema Sound EX C: Reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment scoring stage. This mode is ideal for watching musicals or films where orchestra music is featured in the soundtrack.
- Headphone Theater: Allows you to experience a theater-like environment while listening through a pair of headphones.
Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Dolby Pro Logic IIx furthers the matrix decoding of Dolby Pro Logic II to decode audio signals recorded on two channels into up to 7.1 playback channels, including the surround back channel. Dolby Pro Logic IIx also allows 5.1-channel sources to be played in up to 7.1 channels. The mode can be selected according to the source. There are 3 Dolby Pro Logic IIx modes: Music, Cinema and Game. (The Game mode is for 2-channel sources only.)
Auto Format Direct: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to select the decoding mode you want for your audio sound. When you select A.F.D. Auto, the receiver automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, or standard 2-channel stereo) and performs the proper decoding if necessary. You can also select Pro Logic, Pro Logic II Movie, Pro Logic II Music, Pro Logic II Game, Pro Logic IIx Movie, Pro Logic IIx Music, Pro Logic IIx Game, Neo:6 Cinema, Neo:6 Music, or Multi Stereo to apply the appropriate decoding for movies or normal stereo sources such as CDs.
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital EX
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie, Music, and Game)
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx (Movie, Music, and Game)
- DTS-ES (Discrete 6.1 and Matrix 6.1)
- DTS Neo:6 (Cinema and Music)
- Cinema Studio Ex. A (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Cinema Studio Ex. B (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Cinema Studio Ex. C (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Jazz Club
- Live Concert
Headphone Sound Fields: When headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:
- HP 2CH: outputs the sound in stereo. Standard 2-channel sources completely bypass the sound field processing. Multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels.
- HP Direct: outputs the analog signals without processing by the equalizer, sound field processor
- HP Multi: outputs the analog signals input to the Multi Channel Input jacks
- HP Theater (Digital Cinema Sound): allows you to experience a theater-like environment
Surround Back Decoding: This function lets you select the decoding mode for the surround back signals of the multi-channel input stream. When you select "SB Auto" and the input stream contains 6.1-channel information, the appropriate decoder is applied to decode the surround back signal (Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES Matrix, or DTS-ES Discrete decoder). When you select "SB On", Dolby Digital EX is applied when the output channel is 6.1 and Dolby Digital EX or Dolby Pro Logic IIx is applied when the output channel is 7.1. When "Off" is selected, no surround back decoding is performed.
Sound Field Customizing: Depending on the Mode selected, you can adjust the following parameters:
- Front Balance: Left +1 to +8, Center Balance, Right +1 to +8 (17 steps)
- Center Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Surround Left Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Surround Right Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Surround Back Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments (if only 1 surround back speaker is connected)
- Surround Back Left Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments (if 2 surround back speakers are connected)
- Surround Back Right Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments (if 2 surround back speakers are connected)
- Subwoofer Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Dynamic Range Compressor:
allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You may select
standard or maximum compression, or off.
- Note: This feature only works with Dolby Digital sources.
Analog Direct: Analog direct mode bypasses all digital signal processing for maximum audio purity from any analog source.
Bass Management: The Speaker Setup menu allows you to set the size, distance, and location of the speakers connected to the receiver. The Easy Setup lets you set up your speakers automatically based on a pre-defined speaker pattern (5.1, 6.1, 7.1, etc.). You can also set up the speakers manually by indicating the size and presence of each speaker or speaker pair. The speaker high pass crossover frequency can be set between 40Hz and 160Hz. A test tone is available to assist you in determining the speakers' level and balance settings.
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. Note: A/V Sync cannot be used when the Multi Channel input or Analog Direct function is used.
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of the front speakers from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB steps.
Dual Zone/Dual Source Operation: There are two ways to listen to audio in another zone. You can hook up the 2nd Zone preamp output jacks to a stereo amplifier in another zone, or assign the surround back speakers to another zone. The 2nd zone line output level is fixed, so the 2nd zone audio signal must be fed to a separate amplifier or self-powered speakers equipped with a volume control. If you are using the surround back speakers for Zone 2, you can adjust the volume using the receiver's remote control. For the 2nd zone audio source, you can select one of the following sources: MD/Tape, SA-CD/CD, Tuner, or "Source" (the currently selected source in the main zone).
Note: When a source connected solely via the multi-channel input or a digital input is selected, no audio is output from the 2nd zone jacks.
Multi-Channel Input: Although this unit features built-in Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, and DTS processing, it also has a 7.1-channel input for use with an external multi-channel decoder.
Video Conversion: The STR-DE998 offers the following video conversion: composite to S-video, composite to component, and S-video to component.
Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and program source may be given an index name of up to 8 characters. For example, two VCRs can be displayed as 8MM and VHS.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 30 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps.
Learning/Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-coded to control Sony A/V equipment and most brands of CD players, DAT decks, MD recorders, tape decks, LD players, video CD players, VCRs, DVD players, TVs, DSS receivers, and cable boxes. In addition, this remote can learn up to 80 infrared commands from remotes of other components. A single-line LCD at the top of the remote shows the source currently being controlled. The LCD has an amber backlight that stays illuminated for 3 seconds after a new source is selected. The remote has two command modes (AV1 and AV2), allowing you to change modes if the remote is causing interference with other components.
Macro Play: Up to 2 macros, each with a maximum of 10 steps, can be stored in the remote, allowing you to perform a series of operations at the push of a button.
Assignable Digital Inputs: The 4 optical digital and 2 coaxial digital inputs are assigned to specific sources (DVD, SA-CD/CD, TV/SAT, VIDEO 3, MD/TAPE). If desired, you can re-assign any of them to the Video 1 or Video 2 inputs.
Front Panel Inputs: The STR-DE998 features a set of front panel inputs with left and right RCA audio jacks, an RCA composite video jack, an S-Video jack, and an optical digital input.
Speaker Outputs: There are binding post connectors for the Front A left and right, Front B left and right, Center, Surround left and right, and Surround Back left and right speaker outputs. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs. The front A and B speaker pairs are wired in parallel. The Surround Back speakers can be used for Zone 2 operation, if desired.
SACD Output: No sound is output from the receiver when you play a Super Audio CD on an SACD player connected to the Optical digital input or Coaxial digital input labeled "SA-CD/CD In." You must connect an SACD player via the analog input labeled "SA-CD/CD In" or the multi-channel analog input.
Assignable Component Video Inputs: The receiver has 2 component video inputs which can be assigned to specific sources such as DVD-VIDEO 1, DVD-VIDEO 2, DVD-VIDEO 3, DVD or TV/SAT.
HD Component Video Pass-Through: This unit features 2 component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals.
The Sony STR-DE998 replaces these items
- 110 watts x 7 full-bandwidth rated
- Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, and Pro Logic IIx
- dual-room/dual-source audio output