About the Sony STR-DG920
Sony's STR-DG920 delivers the full high-def experience to your home theater system. You'll get crisp, detailed images and room-rocking multichannel sound for all your entertainment options from movies and TV shows to music and video games. It even includes built-in decoding for Dolby® TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio two high-resolution surround sound formats available with some newer Blu-ray players and discs. You also get digital video upconversion and HDMI switching to keep your sources looking their best, and make system hookup easier.
Streamlined video connections and maximum picture quality
Four 1080p-compatible HDMI inputs let you connect your high-definition video components and switch easily between them, while maintaining pristine digital purity for the picture and sound. Analog-to-HDMI conversion allows you to send all of your older video sources to an HDMI-capable TV using a single digital cable. Plus, sophisticated digital video upconversion can upgrade any non-HD video source to an HDMI digital signal with resolution up to 1080p, to more closely match the capabilities of your HDTV.
Simplified system operation
This future-ready receiver's HDMI connections provide simplified one-touch operation with compatible Sony A/V components. Just press play on the remote, and watch as the receiver, television, and disc player all automatically power up and switch to the appropriate settings.
Easy and accurate setup
Sony's auto calibration makes home theater setup quick, simple, and accurate. Just plug in the included microphone, place it in your favorite seat, and the 'DG920 automatically adjusts the volume and delay settings for each speaker in your system. The result is precise, well-balanced home theater sound, custom-tailored for your specific room and speakers.
More digital entertainment options
The STR-DG920's "digital media port" lets you play music stored on your iPod® or PC when you connect additional Sony accessories. An optional PC adapter allows you to send tunes to the receiver through your home's wired or Wi-Fi® computer network. If you're a fan of XM Radio, you'll really appreciate how easily you can add it to the 'DG920. Just connect an optional XM Mini-Tuner package package and an XM subscription to enjoy instant access to your favorite XM satellite radio channels. This receiver also tunes in XM HD Surround channels, which deliver music in full surround sound. Plus you can use Sony's special digital processing mode to enhance the sound of your MP3s and other compressed music files.
- 100 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD
- Dolby® True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High Resolution Audio, Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES, Pro Logic® IIx, DTS Neo:6 decoding, and Digital Cinema Sound processing
- BRAVIA Theater Sync for simplified operation with compatible Sony components (HDMI-CEC)
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy speaker setup (microphone included)
- Digital Cinema Sound modes
- Portable Audio Enhancer for improved sound quality with MP3s and other digital music files
- A/V Sync helps align out-of-sync audio and video for digital sources
- on-screen display
- 30 AM/FM/XM presets
- A/V remote
- 16-15/16"W x 6-3/16"H x 15-1/4"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital audio/video switching (4 in, 1 out)
- analog-to-HDMI video upconversion with scaling up to 1080p
- supports Deep Color and x.v.Color with compatible video sources and TVs
- Digital Media Port for adding an optional Sony iPod dock or wireless PC music player
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- 5 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite video
- 4 rear-panel inputs with composite video
- 3 audio-only inputs (including phono)
- digital inputs: 3 optical, 2 coaxial
- 7.1-channel analog audio preamp input
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- MFR # STRDG920
What's in the box:
- Black AM/FM/7.1 Channel receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAP023)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone with attached 18' cord (terminates into a 3.5mm miniplug)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with attached slip-on "F" connector
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Operating Instructions (Spanish)
- Quick Setup Guide (English/Spanish)
- Quick Setup Guide (French)
- Important Safeguards
- Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
- Sheet on correct loudspeaker connections using the binding posts (taped to top of receiver)
- Digital Media Port brochure
- GUI Menu List (English/Spanish)
Sony STR-DG920 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony STR-DG920
Features & specs
Overview: The STR-DG920 7.1 channel A/V receiver creates an entertainment hub for the most demanding HD experience. It integrates the latest audio and video technologies while making operations simple to command and easy to follow using the receiver On-screen display menu. Inside its chassis is a video processor that can upscale all video sources (less than 1080p) up to 1080p. The STR-DG920 also features HDMI with "Active Intelligence", plus x.v.Color. Deep Color and 1080/24p signal capability. In addition to decoding uncompressed audio (LPCM via HDMI), the STR-DG920 decodes the latest audio formats from Dolby Labs and DTS making this model fully compatible with Blu-ray Disc. The STR-DG920 features four HDMI inputs that allow for future expansion. BRAVIA Sync provides a one button operation (via HDMI) of your entire A/V experience with a select number of BRAVIA televisions. Because no room is perfect, Sony's Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (and its supplied microphone) simplifies speaker set up and optimizes speaker performance with the push of one button in just 30 seconds. This full featured A/V Receiver expands its ability to playback music from various audio sources (iPod, Walkman, or PC) with the DIGITAL MEDIA PORT and one of the various accessories (sold separately). The XM Connect-and-Play Ready feature of the STR-DG920 provides the ability to access XM satellite radio programming in surround sound via an optional XM home tuner kit (sold separately).
1080p HDMI Video Upscaling: The Sony STR-DG920 receiver features a built-in Faroudja DCDI Cinema 1080p video upscaler. The Sony STR-DG920 is able to convert composite video and component video signals to HDMI video at resolutions of 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i or 1080p. You can also convert analog composite video signals to component video at resolutions of 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i. The receiver will not down-convert video signals.
Note: The STR-DG920 is not equipped with any S-video inputs or outputs.
Surround Modes: The Sony STR-DG920 home theater receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital (5.1): Dolby Digital is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format which consists of front (left/right), center, surround (left/right) and sub-woofer channels.
- Dolby Digital EX: Dolby Digital EX is a 6.1 multi-channel digital surround format. Surround back information is matrixed into regular left and right surround channels so that the sound can be reproduced in 6.1 channel.
- Dolby Digital Plus: Dolby Digital Plus is an improved Dolby Digital surround format that is compatible with up to 7.1-channels of discrete digital sound and also improves sound quality due to extra data bit rate performance.
- Dolby TrueHD: Dolby TrueHD is a high definition audio technology, using lossless coding technology to faithfully reproduce the sound of the studio masters.
- Dolby Pro Logic II: Dolby Pro Logic II technology processes any high quality stereo (two-channel) movie and music audio into five playback channels of full-bandwidth surround sound. A matrix surround decoding technology, Dolby Pro Logic II detects the directional cues that occur naturally in stereo content and uses these elements to create a five-channel surround sound playback experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic II formats - Movie, Game or Music.
- Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Pro Logic IIx expands any existing stereo- or 5.1-channel audio for a 6.1- or 7.1- channel playback, creating a seamless, natural surround soundfield that immerses you in the entertainment experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic IIx formats - Movie, Game or Music.
- DTS: DTS Digital Surround is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround sound format used for both commercial/theatrical and consumer grade applications.
- DTS-ES Extended Surround: DTS-ES features two 6.1
- DTS-ES Discrete 6.1: DTS-ES Discrete 6.1-channel is a 6.1-channel discrete digital audio format adding a surround back channel to the DTS digital surround sound.
- DTS-ES Matrix 6.1: DTS-ES Matrix 6.1-channel is a discrete 6.1 channel digital audio format inserting a surround back channel to the DTS surround sound through matrix encoding.
- DTS-HD High Resolution Audio: DTS-HD High Resolution Audio is an improved version of the conventional DTS, DTS-ES and DTS 96/24 signal formats that is compatible with sampling frequencies of 96 or 48 kHz and up to 7.1-channels of discrete digital sound. High data bit rate performance provides high quality sound.
- DTS-HD Master Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio is a lossless audio format compatible with up to 96 kHz and up to 7.1-channels. The lossless audio coding technology faithfully reproduces the sound of the studio master.
- DTS Neo:6 Surround: DTS Neo:6 is a matrix decoding technology for achieving 6.1-channel surround playback with 2-channel sources. You can choose from two DTS Neo: 6 Surround formats - Neo: 6 Cinema and Neo: 6 Music.
- DTS 96/24: DTS 96/24 is a digital audio format enabling high sound quality playback in 5.1-channels with a sampling frequency of 96 kHz and 24 bit quantization of DVD-video.
- Neural THX: 360-degree 7.1 surround sound playback from neural-THX surround encoded content such as certain programming on XM satellite radio.
- Digital Cinema Sound (DCS): Digital Cinema Sound is the
concept name of the surround technology for home theater developed by Sony.
DCS uses the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) technology to reproduce the
sound characteristics of an actual cinema cutting studio in Hollywood. When
played at home, DCS will create a powerful theater effect that mimics the
artistic combination of sound and action as envisioned by the movie
director. The DCS soundfields used in this receiver include:
- Cinema Studio EX A: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio, great for watching most any type of movie
- Cinema Studio EX B: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio, ideal for watching science fiction or action movies with lots of sound effects
- Cinema Studio EX C: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment scoring stage, ideal for watching musicals or films where orchestra music is featured in the soundtrack
- V.Multi Dimension: creates virtual surround sound from a single pair of actual surround speakers
- Hall: reproduces the acoustics of a classical concert hall
- Jazz Club: reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club
- Live Concert: reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live concert house
- Stadium: reproduces the feeling of a large open-air stadium
- Sports: reproduces the feeling of sports broadcasting
- Portable Audio: reproduces a clearer sound image from your portable audio device; ideal for MP3 and other compressed music
- Headphone Sound Fields: When
headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:
- Headphone 2CH: outputs the sound in stereo, 2-channel sources bypass the sound field processing, multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels
- Headphone Direct: outputs analog signals with no sound field or tone processing
- Headphone Theater (Digital Cinema Sound): allows you to experience a theater-like environment
- Multi-Channel Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
- Analog Direct: The direct feature amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
- Two Channel Stereo Mode: The 2 channel button sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two-channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi-channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
Auto Format Direct: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode presents the sound as it was recorded or encoded without adding any surround effects. When you select A.F.D. Auto, the receiver automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, or standard 2-channel stereo) and performs the proper decoding if necessary. You can also select Pro Logic II Movie, Pro Logic II Music, Noe:6 Music, Neo:6 Cinema, or Multi Stereo to apply the appropriate decoding for movies or normal stereo sources such as CDs. The receiver will generate a low frequency signal for output to the subwoofer when there is no LFE signal.
Auto Calibration: The STR-DG920 is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, and calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position. The microphone has an 18' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver and has a threaded insert on the bottom so it can be mounted to a tripod.
Test Tone Level Adjustment: The receiver also employs a test tone with a frequency centered at 800Hz which allows you to adjust the speaker levels and balance manually while listening to the audible tone from your listening position. You can adjust speaker and the subwoofer level and the balance of just the front speakers from left to right.
- Front Level: -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Center Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Left Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Right Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Back Left Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Back Right Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Subwoofer Level: -20dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
Speaker Setup: The Speaker Setup menu allows you to set the size, distance from your seating position, and location of the speakers connected to the receiver. The following adjustments are available:
- Speaker Configuration: 3/4.1, 3/4, 3/3.1, 3/3, 2/4.1, 2/4, 4/2.1, 3/2, 2/3.1, 2/3, 2/2.1, 2/2, 3/0.1, 3/0, 2/0.1, 2/0
- Speaker Sizes: Large or Small
- Speaker and Subwoofer Distance: 3'3" to 32'9" in 1" steps
- Crossover Frequency: set crossover point for speakers set to small, choose 40 to 200 Hz in 10 Hz increments.
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of all the speakers from -10dB to +10dB in 1dB steps.
Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard, maximum or auto compression; or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Effect Level: The Effect Level feature lets you adjust the presence of the surround effect for soundfields selected with the Movie or Music mode or Headphone Theater mode. You can choose from 50%, 80%, 100% or 150% effect level.
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0 to 300 milliseconds in 10 millisecond increments.
Night Mode: This function allows you to retain a theater like environment at low volume levels. This function can be used with other soundfields. When watching a movie late at night, you will be able to hear the dialogue clearly even at a low volume level.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select Bravia televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the recover and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
Tuner: The STR-DG920 has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency.
Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and program source may be given an index name of up to 8 characters.
On-Screen Menu: The STR-DG920 provides an on-screen menu when connected to your television through its HDMI or component video connections.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps: 0% dim, 60% dim, or 100% dim.
Remote: The supplied remote (RM-AAP023) is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. You can also program the remote to control non-Sony audio/video components. You can change the factory settings of the input buttons on the remote to suit the components in your system. For example, if you connect a DVD recorder to the Video 1 input jacks, you can set the Video 1 buttons on the remote to control the DVD recorder.
x.v. Color 1080/24p HDMI: The Sony receiver features four 1080p HDMI inputs and one 1080p HDMI output. The receiver transmits both audio and video through the HDMI monitor output to your TV or you can choose for the HDMI monitor out terminal to only output video to your television. Video signal that is input through HDMI input can only be output through the HDMI monitor output terminal. The receiver's HDMI inputs and output also support x.v.Color which is a new color standard that can express a wider color range than the currently used broadcast standard. The unit's HDMI inputs and output also support 1080/24p video signals.
HD Component Video: This unit features three component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals. The unit's component video connections support up to 1080p.
Note: There are no S-Video jacks.
Digital Inputs: The receiver has three optical digital inputs and two coaxial digital inputs. You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel. All the digital audio jacks will support 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, and 96 kHz sampling frequencies. These digital inputs are assignable.
Multi-Channel Inputs: The receiver's 7.1-channel multi-channel inputs allow you to connect an external multi-channel decoder as well as a DVD or Super Audio CD player equipped with multi-channel output jacks.
Note: No sound is output from the receiver when you play a Super Audio CD on an SACD player connected to the Optical digital input or Coaxial digital input. You must connect an SACD player via the analog input labeled "SA-CD/CD In" or the Multi-Channel input.
XM Port: You can take advantage of the variety and sound quality of XM Satellite Radio by connecting the optional XM Mini Tuner and Mini Tuner Home Dock and subscribing to the XM Satellite service. XM offers over 150 channels of music, news, sports, and talk radio and even has weather and traffic information in several major markets. The channel number, channel name, channel category, artist name, and song title are listed on the STR-DG920's display. Up to 30 XM stations can be stored as presets and recalled in the same way AM and FM stations are.
Digital Media Port: Sony's proprietary DMP allows you to integrate a wide variety of music into your home theater system. The Digital Media Port allows you to connect optional DMP accessories to play music from a PC, Bluetooth devices, Network Walkman music players or iPod music players. You can connect the following adapters (sold separately).
- DMP iPod Dock (TDM-IP1): Allows you to dock and play your iPod through the DMP compatible BRAVIA audio receiver. For added convenience, the dock also charges your iPod's battery. The DMP iPod dock is compatible with iPod nano (1st and 2nd generation), iPod (4th and 5th generation) and iPod mini.
- DMP Media Port Wi-Fi client (TDM-NC1): Allows you to stream digital music from your PC to the DMP compatible BRAVIA audio receiver and view song information on your connected television or monitor. Requires PC with Microsoft Window XP SP2 operating system or newer.
- DMP Bluetooth Interface (TDM-BT1): Allows you to wirelessly receive and play music through the DMP compatible BRAVIA audio receiver from your Bluetooth compatible notebook, MP3 player or mobile phone. The Bluetooth interface has a range up to 30 feet.
- DMP Walkman Cradle (TDM-NW1): Allows you to dock and play your Sony NW-S705F or NW-S703F Network Walkman through the DMP compatible BRAVIA audio receiver. For added convenience the cradle also charge your Walkman's battery.
Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post speaker terminals for the front channel A and B speakers, the surround, surround back, and center channel speakers.
Front Panel AV Inputs: The STR-DG920 features a set of front panel inputs with left and right RCA audio jacks and a RCA composite video jack.
Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.