About the Sony STR-DH510
Add high-impact excitement and realistic, wraparound sound to all of your movies, TV shows, music, and video games. Sony's STR-DH510 can drive five home theater speakers for engaging surround sound with every entertainment source in your system. Three 1080p-compatible HDMI inputs let you hook up your best high-def components to enjoy easy switching along with crystal-clear digital picture and sound. The 'DH510's Audio Return Channel function even allows audio signals to be sent from your compatible HDTV's tuner back to the receiver via HDMI eliminating the need for extra cables.
Power and Processing:
- 90 watts x 5 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD
- Dolby® Digital, DTS®, Dolby Pro Logic® II, and Digital Cinema Sound processing
Digital Music Options:
- iPod®/iPhone® integration (requires optional Sony iPod® dock)
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital video switching (3 in, 1 out) with support for Deep Color, x.v.Color, and 24Hz refresh rates
- Audio Return Channel function receives digital audio signals from a compatible HDTV's tuner via HDMI
- BRAVIA Sync for simplified operation with compatible Sony components (HDMI-CEC)
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out)
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical, 1 coaxial
- 3 audio/video inputs with composite video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- 1 set of main speaker outputs
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- A/V remote
- 60 AM/FM presets
- 16-15/16"W x 6-1/4"H x 12-13/16"D
- weight: 16 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # STRDH510
What's in the box:
- Black AM/FM/5.1 Channel receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAU071)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with attached slip-on "F" connector
- Operating Instructions (English)
- Operating Instructions (Spanish)
- Quick Setup Guide (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Sony STR-DH510 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony STR-DH510
Features & specs
Surround Modes: The Sony STR-DH510 home theater receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital (5.1): Dolby Digital is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround format which consists of front (left/right), center, surround (left/right) and sub-woofer channels.
- DTS: DTS Digital Surround is a 5.1 multi-channel digital surround sound format used for both commercial/theatrical and consumer grade applications.
- Dolby Pro Logic: Center and mono surround information is matrixed into two stereo channels. When reproduced, audio is decoded and output in 4 channel surround sound.
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music): Dolby Pro Logic II technology processes any high quality stereo (two-channel) movie and music audio into five playback channels of full-bandwidth surround sound. A matrix surround decoding technology, Dolby Pro Logic II detects the directional cues that occur naturally in stereo content and uses these elements to create a five-channel surround sound playback experience. You can choose from the following Dolby Pro Logic II formats - Movie or Music
- Digital Cinema Sound (DCS): Digital Cinema Sound is the
concept name of the surround technology for home theater developed by Sony.
DCS uses the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) technology to reproduce the
sound characteristics of an actual cinema cutting studio in Hollywood. When
played at home, DCS will create a powerful theater effect that mimics the
artistic combination of sound and action as envisioned by the movie
director. The receiver features Movie and Music DCS soundfields:
- Movie Mode: Movie mode recreates a movie theater experience:
- Cinema Studio EX A: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio, great for watching most any type of movie
- Cinema Studio EX B: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio, ideal for watching science fiction or action movies with lots of sound effects
- Cinema Studio EX C: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment scoring stage, ideal for watching musicals or films where orchestra music is featured in the soundtrack
- V. Multi Dimension: creates multiple virtual speakers from a single pair of actual surround speakers
- Music Mode: Music mode recreates a live music experience:
- Hall: reproduces the acoustics of a classical concert hall
- Jazz Club: reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club
- Live Concert: reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live concert house
- Stadium: reproduces the feeling of a large open-air stadium
- Sports: reproduces the feeling of sports broadcasting
- Portable: reproduces a clearer sound image from your portable audio device; ideal for MP3 and other compressed music
- Movie Mode: Movie mode recreates a movie theater experience:
- 2-Channel Sound Mode:
You can switch the output sound to 2-channel sound regardless of the
recording formats of the software you are using, the playback component
connected, or the soundfield settings of the receiver. The AV receiver
offers two 2-channel audio modes.
- Two Channel Stereo Mode: The 2 channel button sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two-channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi-channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
- Analog Direct: The direct feature amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
- Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode:
The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows
you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for
listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the
A.F.D. mode to Auto or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Auto: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
- Headphone Sound Fields: When
headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:
- Headphone 2CH: outputs the sound in stereo, 2-channel sources bypass the sound field processing, multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels
- Headphone Direct: outputs analog signals with no sound field or tone processing
Effect Level: The Effect Level feature lets you adjust the presence of the surround effect for soundfields selected with the Movie or Music mode or Headphone Theater mode. You can choose from Minimum effect, Standard effect or Maximum effect.
Speaker Setup: The Speaker Setup menu allows you to set the size, distance from your seating position, and location of the speakers connected to the receiver. The following adjustments are available:
- Speaker Pattern: 3/2.1, 3/2, 2/2.1, 2/2, 3/0.1, 3/0, 2/0.1, 2/0
- Speaker Size: Front, Center, and Surround (Large or Small)
- Speaker Distance: Front, Center, Surround, and Subwoofer (3 to 23 feet, in 1 foot steps)
- Crossover Frequency: Sets crossover point for speakers set to small (40 to 200 Hz, in 10 Hz steps).
- Level Adjustment: The receiver employs a test tone with a frequency centered at 800Hz which allows you to adjust the speaker levels and balance while listening to the audible tone from your listening position. You can adjust the level of the front left/right speakers from -10 dB to +10 dB, in 0.5 dB steps. For all other speakers and the subwoofer, you can adjust the level from -20 dB to +10 dB, in 0.5 dB steps.
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Night Mode: This function allows you to retain a theater like environment at low volume levels. When watching a movie late at night, you will still be able to hear the dialog clear even at a low volume level.
Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post speaker terminals for the front channel speakers and spring clip terminals for the surround an center channel speakers.
Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital inputs. You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receive, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DH510 has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
5 HD Inputs: The Sony STR-DH510 is equipped with five HD inputs. Three HDMI inputs (up to 1080/24p capable) let you connect a high-definition satellite receiver, Blu-ray Disc player, and game system for high definition video and audio. Two component inputs (1080/60i capable) provide added HD-capable connectivity and versatility.
- HDMI: The receiver is equipped with three HDMI (ver.1.3) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video components. All three HDMI inputs are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and video up to 1080p. There is also an HDMI (v.1.4) output which supports the ARC function that feeds audio/video signals to an HDTV.
- HD Component Video: This unit features 2 component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals.
Note: The receiver does not convert video signals. It can only output the same type of signals that it receives. The receiver is capable of receiving and sending HDMI, Component Video, and Composite Video signals. There are no S-Video jacks.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver .
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
x.v.Color: The AV receiver supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed. For the Deep Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
Note: x.v. Color and Deep Color technology are supported only when source product, HDMI cable, media and HDTV all support those features.
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay is fixed at 60 ms.
Input Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps - Dim Max, Dim Mid, and Dim Off.
Wireless Remote: The supplied remote (RM-AAU071) is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. You can also change the initial settings of the input buttons on the remote control to suit the components in your system.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel) Function: If your TV is compatible with the Audio Return Channel (ARC) function, the television's sound will output from the speakers connected to this AV receiver via the receiver's HDMI TV Out connection.
Optional iPod/iPhone Dock: The Sony TDM-iP50 Digital Media Port adapter (158TDMIP50, sold separately) for iPod/iPhone lets you enjoy your iPod/iPhone's audio, video, and photo content through your entertainment system by connecting the TDM-iP50 to the Sony audio/video receiver's Digital Media Port interface. For added convenience, the dock also charges your compatible iPod's battery. You can operate your iPod/iPhone by its own click-wheel or touch-screen, the control buttons of the Sony receiver, or the IR wireless remote control supplied with the Sony receiver.