About the Sony STR-DH540
Give home theater a chance to wow you
Give home theater a chance to wow you
If you own a large HDTV, you know how fantastic movies and shows can look. Don't you want them to sound just as good? The Sony STR-DH540 receiver is an easy and cost-effective entry into home theater that will open your eyes and ears. With connections for sources like Blu-ray and CD players, network streaming devices, cable boxes, and gaming consoles, this receiver will help bring all your components together for better sound and picture quality. Best of all, it routes all of those sources to your TV through a single HDMI cable, simplifying setup and operation. Connections for 5 speakers and 2 subwoofers allow you to enjoy enveloping surround sound that will bring TV, movies, and games to life.
Easy customized setup
Worried about setting up surround speakers to get evenly balanced sound? Sony does the heavy lifting for you. The STR-DH540 features Digital Cinema Auto Calibration. That means the receiver can configure your speakers for optimum sound once you have them placed where you want them. Just plug in the included setup mic and follow the on-screen instructions for sound tailored to your room and speakers.
Don't forget your iPod®
It's easy to get your iPod or iPhone® into the picture with the STR-DH540. Just plug it into the front-panel USB port and this receiver can play your music files through your system. Thanks to advanced digital processing, you can even enjoy your stereo music in multichannel surround sound, for a musical experience those earbuds could never touch.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 90 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy, accurate speaker setup
- HDMI audio/video switching: 4 in, 1 out
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from an iPod, iPhone, or USB flash drive
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo audio inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- outputs for five speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- full-sized headphone jack
- 3D and 4K HDMI pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- BRAVIA Sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- convenient on-screen display (via HDMI only)
- 60 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- 17"W x 6-1/8"H x 13-1/8"D
- weight: 17 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # STR-DH540
What's in the box:
- 5.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAU168)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone (ECM-AC2)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (w/ attached slip-on "F" connector)
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- US Warranty sheet
- Canada Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Sony STR-DH540 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony STR-DH540
Features & specs
5.2ch AV Receiver: The Sony STR-DH540 AV Receiver is equipped with a 5-channel amplifier rated at 90 watts (into 6-ohms, at 20-20kHz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels) which provides high dynamic power with low-impedance drive capability. The STR-DH540 also includes dual LFE (mono-subwoofer) outputs for connecting two powered subs.
Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC): The Sony STR-DH540 is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Auto or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Auto: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic: The Sony STR-DH540 AV receiver features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding, as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the AV receiver via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1ch surround sound (via HDMI), it will only output 5.1ch surround, because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process. You can choose from the following HD-D.C.S modes - Dynamic, Theater, Studio, Hall, Jazz Club, Live Concert, Stadium, Sports, or Portable Audio.
Pure Direct: The receiver's Pure Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Headphone Modes: The receiver offers two distinct headphone sound modes.
- HP 2CH: Sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
- HP Direct: Amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Advanced Audio Settings: These advanced audio settings allow you to tailor the sound to your source content, listening conditions, and your personal preferences.
- Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass & treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
- Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjust the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
- Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
- Night Mode: This function allows you to retain a theater like environment at low volume levels. When watching a movie late at night, you will still be able to hear the dialog clear even at a low volume level.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Sony STR-DH540 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital inputs (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
- Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use speakers with a 6- to 16-ohm impedance.
- Dual Sub Outputs: The AV receiver is fitted with two subwoofer preamp outputs to connect dual powered subs.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted. No sound is output from the headphones when iPod or iPhone is connected to the receiver.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DH540 has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
4 HDMI (v.1.4) Inputs: The receiver is equipped with four HDMI (v.1.4) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video component; such as your satellite/cable receiver, Blu-ray/DVD player, and game system. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable (via its ARC-compatible HDMI monitor output), reducing cable clutter. The receiver's HDMI v.1.4 jacks are compatible with 1080p/24Hz and 4K video, 3D video signals, Deep Color & x.v.Color technology; as well as LipSync, ARC, and HDMI control.
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K Pass Through allows the Sony STR-DH540 to receive super high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor. This ensures compatibility with the latest super high resolution video formats.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony STR-DH540 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The Sony AV receiver also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay is fixed at 60 ms.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver .
HDMI Preview: This feature provides a live picture-in-picture preview on your HDMI-connected TV of HDMI inputs connected to the receiver. HDMI Preview is not compatible with 4K and 3D video signals.
Composite Video Inputs: The Sony STR-DH540 is also fitted with two analog composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. The composite video jacks support 480i video signals only.
Sony Compatible USB Port: You can enjoy music from select Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series) by connecting the device to the receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port. The Sony USB device must be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32. You can playback the following music files; MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (48-320kbps), and WAV(16-bit) The receiver can recognize up to 256 folders and 256 audio files in each folder, per device. You are able to control Play/Pause/Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Skip Previous/Next), and Folder (up/down) functions of your connected Sony USB device.
Note: See page 36 of the AV receiver's Operating Instructions for compatible Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series). Other USB devices cannot be used on this receiver.
iPod/iPhone Direct: The Sony STR-DH540 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your compatible Apple device by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. You also have access to Repeat (One/All/Off) and Shuffle (Songs/Albums/Off) functions. Song/artist information from stored music on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI. The receiver offers limited control (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) of music apps on your iPod/iPhone and no song/artist information. Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad. The Sony STR-DH540 is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 9/24/2013).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
On-Screen Menu (via HDMI): You can display the menu of the receiver on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Input Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps - Dim Max, Dim Mid, and Dim Off.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Wireless Remote: The supplied IR remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
The Sony STR-DH540 replaces these items
- 7-channel amplifier; 90 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- 4 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output
- Dolby TrueHD, Pro logic IIz, DTS-HD, and HD Digital Cinema Sound
6 questions already asked