About the Sony STR-DN840
All roads lead to streaming music
All roads lead to streaming music
Get more access to more music right from your receiver. The Sony STR-DN840's wide range of wireless options makes it simple to enjoy streaming music through your stereo or surround sound speakers. It starts with built-in Wi-Fi, so you can get connected to your home network without a wired connection to your router. Once you're networked, you can stream music from your iPhone®, iPad®, or iTunes® on your computer with Apple AirPlay. Not an Apple user? Then stream over Bluetooth from your compatible smartphone or tablet. Or pull music from that networked PC in your basement or office. Even without supplying your own tunes, you can listen to free Internet radio from Pandora®, Slacker, and vTuner right on this versatile receiver.
Don't forget the movies
Of course, the 'DN840 is much more than the sum of its impressive streaming options. It's a powerful home theater receiver capable of driving a 7-channel surround sound system. Movie soundtracks will explode with realism, especially if you connect "surround back" or "front height" speakers to bring a more theater-like experience into your living room. Looking for a little more low-end rumble for your large room? A second subwoofer preamp output lets you add an extra sub, so movie sound effects will make you jump out of your seat. With 6 HDMI inputs, all the latest Dolby and DTS decoding, and plenty of digital and analog audio inputs, the 'DN840 has all you need to get the most out of your speakers, HDTV, and all your music and movie sources.
Automatic speaker setup and smartphone control
Want to get the most accurate, balanced sound from your speakers? Then plug in the included microphone and run Sony's automatic speaker calibration system. The receiver will walk you through the steps, so it's easy to optimize your system to fit your specific room and speaker placement. Once you're all hooked up and connected to your wireless network, be sure to download Sony's Media Remote app for your smartphone or tablet. It's the easiest way to control your receiver's most important features with touchscreen simplicity. Also try Sony's Network Audio Remote app for quick access to your digital music files.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 95 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding, including Dolby Pro Logic® IIz
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy, accurate speaker setup
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- Internet-ready for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for free Pandora, Slacker, and vTuner Internet radio (subscription required for some services)
- built-in Wi-Fi for wireless connection to a home network
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or computer running iTunes
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer
- DLNA certified for streaming music with compatible devices and computers
- front-panel USB input gives you a direct digital connection for your iPod for improved sound quality
- plays high-resolution digital music files via a compatible Sony USB storage device or a networked computer (up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution)
- HDMI 1.4a audio/video switching: 6 in, 1 out
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from an iPod, iPhone, or compatible Sony USB device
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo audio inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- Ethernet port for network connection
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- outputs for 7 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- "Surround Back" speaker outputs can be used as Front Height, Front B, or for bi-amping compatible Front A speakers
- full-sized headphone jack
- 3D and 4K HDMI pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows access to all HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver
- free Sony Media Remote app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi® remote
- free Sony Network Audio Remote app lets you stream music stored on your Apple or Android smartphone or tablet wirelessly to the receiver (not compatible with devices running Android 4.4; Sony is working on a solution to this problem)
- BRAVIA Sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- convenient on-screen display (via HDMI only)
- 60 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- 17"W x 6-3/16"H x 13"D
- weight: 18.74 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # STR-DN840
What's in the box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAU170)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone (ECM-AC2)
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna (w/ attached slip-on "F" connector)
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- US Warranty sheet
- Canada Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Sony STR-DN840 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony STR-DN840
Features & specs
Assignable 7-Channel Amplifier: The Sony STR-DN840 AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 95 watts (into 6-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels). The AV receiver's Surround Back/Front Height amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate your type of home theater setup.
- Surround Back: Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio) with 7.1 channel surround, using the Surround Back speaker channels.
- Front Height: You can enjoy vertical sound effects if you connect two additional Front-Height speakers in Dolby Pro Logic IIz mode. No Surround Back speakers in this configuration.
- B-Speakers: If you are only connecting a 5.1ch speaker system, you can use the Surround Back/Front Height amp channels as a Speaker B output, allowing you to place a pair of speakers in another room of the house. Speaker B can be played at the same time of Speaker A, or by itself. Speaker B uses the same volume control and source input as Speaker A.
- Front Bi-Amp: If you are not using the Surround Back/Front Height at all, you can connect them to your front speakers using a bi-amplifier connection (if applicable). This provides even better sound quality from your front speakers. Your home theater setup will be limited to 5.1ch.
Advanced Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) w/ A.P.M (Automatic Phase Matching): The Sony STR-DN840 is equipped with Advanced Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, check for phase, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) Mode: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode allows you to listen to high fidelity sound and select the decoding mode for listening to a 2-channel stereo sound as multi-channel. You can set the A.F.D. mode to Auto or Multi Stereo.
- A.F.D. Auto: Presets the sound as it was recorded/encoded without adding any surround effects.
- Multi Stereo: Outputs 2-channel left/right signals from all speakers.
Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic: The Sony STR-DN840 AV receiver features Dolby Digital and DTS-HD decoding, as well as offers Dolby Pro Logic audio processing.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx, Dolby Pro Logic IIz
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the AV receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process. You can choose from four HD-D.C.S movie modes (Dynamic, Theater, Studio, or Sport) and six music modes (Berlin P.Hall, Concertgebouw, Musikverein, Jazz Club, Live Concert, or Portable Audio),
Direct Modes: The Sony AV receiver offers two Direct audio modes for higher fidelity sound.
- Analog Direct: The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
- Pure Direct: To further enhance sound quality, the receiver's Pure Direct mode not only bypasses the tone and DSP processing, but also turns off the front-panel display to suppress any noise which may affect sound quality.
Headphone Modes: The receiver offers two distinct headphone sound modes.
- HP 2CH: Sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
- HP Direct: Amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Advanced Audio Settings: These advanced audio settings allow you to tailor the sound to your source content, listening conditions, and your personal preferences.
- Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass & treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
- D.L.L. (Digital Legato Linear): The Digital Legato Linear function is a Sony proprietary technology that allows low quality digital audio signals and analog audio signal to be played back with high quality sound.
- Sound Optimizer: The Sound Optimizer lets you enjoy clear and dynamic sound at low volume levels. It automatically calibrates the sound which cannot be heard well when you turn down the volume level. After Auto Calibration is performed, the sound level is optimized to suit your environment.
- Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
- Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjust the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
- Center Lift Up: By using front high speakers, you can lift up the sounds of the center speaker to an appropriate height on the screen, allowing you to enjoy a more natural representation.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Sony STR-DN840 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital inputs (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
- Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use speakers with a 6- to 16-ohm impedance.
- Dual Sub Outputs: The AV receiver is fitted with two subwoofer preamp outputs to connect dual powered subs.
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted. No sound is output from the headphones when iPod or iPhone is connected to the receiver.
6 HDMI (v.1.4) Inputs: The receiver is equipped with six HDMI (v.1.4) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video component; such as your satellite/cable receiver, Blu-ray/DVD player, and game system. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable (via its ARC-compatible HDMI monitor output), reducing cable clutter. The receiver's HDMI v.1.4 jacks are compatible with 1080p/24Hz and 4K video, 3D video signals, Deep Color & x.v.Color technology; as well as LipSync, ARC, and HDMI control.
- 4K Pass-Through: 4K Pass Through allows the Sony STR-DN840 to receive super high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K compatible TV or display monitor. This ensures compatibility with the latest super high resolution video formats.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony STR-DN840 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
- Deep/x.v.Color Support: The Sony AV receiver also supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture.
- A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300 ms or set to Auto.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver .
HDMI Preview: This feature provides a live picture-in-picture preview on your HDMI-connected TV of HDMI inputs connected to the receiver. HDMI Preview is not compatible with 4K and 3D video signals.
Composite Video Inputs: The Sony STR-DN840 is also fitted with two analog composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. The composite video jacks support 480i video signals only.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony STR-DN840 AV receiver features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in WiFi that allow you to connect the receiver to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the AV receiver to your home network you are able to stream select Internet Radio services and audio files stored on your window-based PC to your home audio system. The Sony AV receiver offers an on-screen setup wizard to configure the receiver to your home's network. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this receiver.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the receiver.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 b/g compatible wireless router for WiFi connection.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
DLNA Certified Media Player: By connecting the Sony STR-DN840 to your home's network, you can listen to music stored on your DLNA compliant PC through your home's entertainment system. The Sony STR-DN840's media player function supports Windows-based PCs only. If you have a Windows 7/8-based computer, use the Windows Media Player 12 bundled with Windows 7/8. If you have a Windows XP or Windows Vista-based computer, install Windows Media Player 11 software. The receiver supports the following media files.
|MP3||Sampling Rate: 32-48 kHz |
Bit Rate: 32-320 kbps
|WMA||Sampling Rate: 8-48 kHz |
Bit Rate: 40-320 kbps
|AAC||Sampling Rate: 8-48 kHz |
Bit Rate: 16-320 kbps
|WAV (LPCM)||Sampling Rate: 8-192 kHz, |
Quantization: 16-bit, 24-bit
|FLAC||Sampling Rate: 8-192 kHz, |
Quantization: 16-bit, 24-bit
Party Streaming: You can play music in other rooms simultaneously by connecting Sony products which are compatible with DLNA and the Party Streaming function.
Music Services: You can listen to select music services offered on the internet with this receiver. You'll be able to enjoy some of the web's most popular internet radio services; vTuner, Music Unlimited, Pandora, and Slacker (as of 5/22/2012). The STR-DN840 will display station name and program-related information on your TV, via the receiver's on-screen menu (HDMI only). You can store up to 20 of your favorite internet radio stations.
|Online Music Services||Description|
|vTuner||The Sony A/V Receiver uses the free online vTuner service to allow easy browsing of internet radio stations and podcasts. vTuner enables access to web-based radio stations and podcasts via an extremely reliable online database with a wide variety of content. You can browse content by Local Stations, Location, Genre, New Stations, Recently Played Stations, Popular Stations, Editor's Pick, and Favorites.|
|Music Unlimited||Music Unlimited offers you unlimited access to millions of songs from every major label. Forget syncing MP3 files across multiple devices; simply connect to the cloud to instantly experience the music you love anytime, anyplace. Enjoy timeless favorites or dare to try something new; all without paying for each track or album.|
|Pandora||Free, personalized internet radio playing only music you love. Pandora brings an effortless personal soundtrack into your living room. Enter your favorite artists and enjoy stations created just for you. Rate songs as they play, because Pandora caters to your tastes and adapts stations to your feedback on the spot.|
|Slacker||Slacker is a free personalized radio service with millions of songs from thousands of artists. Simply select your favorite type of music from one of over 120 expert-programmed genre stations. As you listen, give feedback and the station becomes personalized just for you.|
Note: Broadband Internet connection required. Audio quality will vary and is dependent upon broadband speed and delivery by content provider. Select content provided subject to change. Premium content may require additional fees, a subscription, and/or PC registration.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-DN840 has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
Software Update: By downloading the latest version of software from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. The receiver accesses the Sony server to update the software through its hardwired network connection. The AV receiver tested featured software version s9327.1003.0 (as of 5/22/2013). Visit the Sony eSuport website for the latest software updates.
Sony Compatible USB Port: You can enjoy music from select Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series) by connecting the device to the receiver's front-panel USB (type-A) port. The Sony USB device must be formatted with FAT16 or FAT32. You can playback the following music files; MP3 (32-320kbps; VBR), WMA (40-320kbps; VBR), AAC (16-320kbps; VBR), WAV(16/24-bit; 8-192kHz), and FLAC (16/24-bit; 8-192kHz). The receiver can recognize up to 256 folders and 256 audio files in each folder, per device. You are able to control Play/Pause/Stop, Fast Forward/Rewind, Skip Previous/Next), and Folder (up/down) functions of your connected Sony USB device.
Note: See page 45 of the AV receiver's Operating Instructions for compatible Sony USB devices (Walkman/MicroVault/NWZ-series). Other USB devices cannot be used on this receiver.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony STR-ND840 features built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0) with support for profiles A2DP 1.2 and AVRCP 1.3. You'll be able to wirelessly stream music from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple device, Android smartphone/tablet, portable audio player, laptop, or PC to the Sony receiver. You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. There is no song/artist information display on the receiver or connected TV. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info. Up to 9 devices can be paired with the Sony AV receiver (only one can be used at a time).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony receiver.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The STR-DN840 AV receiver supports iPod, iPhone, and iPad connectivity via its front-panel USB and built-in AirPlay.
- AirPlay Technology: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac to the Sony STR-DN840, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free Remote app onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles and artist info via the Sony receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.1 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.2 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
- USB Direct: The Sony STR-DN840 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your compatible Apple device by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. You also have access to Repeat (One/All/Off) and Shuffle (Songs/Albums/Off) functions. Song/artist information from stored music on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI. The receiver offers limited control (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) of music apps on your iPod/iPhone and no song/artist information. Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Sony STR-DN840 is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 5/22/2013).
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connection Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
On-Screen Menu (via HDMI): You can display the menu of the receiver on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Input Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for music stored on your network PC or available from the included network apps. Simply enter in the song or artist name.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps - Dim Max, Dim Mid, and Dim Off.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 20 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
Wireless Remote: The supplied IR remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders.
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Home Theater Control: You can switch an input of the receiver or switch soundfields by using your Sony TV's remote control.
Remote App Control: Download Sony's free Media Remote and Network Audio Remote apps from the iTunes or Google play app stores and use your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to control volume, inputs and receiver function with the Media Remote app; and control your network music with the Network Audio Remote app.
- Apple iOS Remote Apps: Media Remote App + Network Audio Remote App (compatible with iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad; requires iOS 4.3 or later)
- Android Remote Apps: Media Remote App + Network Audio Remote App (compatible with Android 2.2-up--except for Android 4.4)
Note: The Media & Network Audio Remote apps require that the Sony AV receiver and your Apple iOS, Android, or Sony remote device be connected to the same wireless network with the remote device connected through an 802.11 access point (802.11n recommended).
9 questions already asked