About the Sony STR-DN1060
Take charge of your home entertainment
Take charge of your home entertainment
The Sony STR-DN1060 puts the excitement of a theater-like experience at your fingertips, filling your living room with sound and making movies pop with color and clarity. With multi-room capabilities plus near-limitless ways to play music, it can be the hub from which all of your entertainment flows. Built-in Wi-Fi gives you access to your own digital music library, along with free Internet radio stations from around the world. And there are several ways you can use your smartphone or tablet to access even more content. Sony's SongPal app lets you integrate all of your music sources in one convenient interface, and the receiver's intuitive onscreen user interface gives you easy command over your system.
Unlock more content with your phone or tablet
The STR-DN1060 plays nicely with both Apple® and Android™ phones and tablets. You can connect an iPhone®, iPod®, or iPad® directly to the front-panel USB port to access music and charge the device, or use AirPlay for convenient wireless streaming. Compatible Android phones and tablets can be connected to the front-panel MHL port for access to apps or stored music files, photos and videos. This connection displays your apps onscreen, charges your device, and lets you use your TV or receiver remote to control it. NFC touch pairing lets you tap a compatible Android phone or tablet to the receiver for an instant wireless connection. Any Bluetooth-equipped device can be used to stream music to the STR-DN1060 for even more flexibility.
Google Cast gives you new ways to listen
The Google Cast music feature lets you stream music from any Cast-enabled app on a compatible phone or tablet directly from the cloud to the STR-DN1060, bypassing your device's processing for better audio quality. One touch sends the app of your choice to the receiver and lets you use the controls within the app to browse, play, pause, skip tracks and control volume. Since your phone or tablet acts as a controller only, you'll save battery life, and you can take calls, send texts, play games, and even take it out of the room without interrupting the music you have playing. The list of Cast-enabled apps is growing, and already includes some of the most popular music apps like Pandora®, Google Play Music, and iHeart Radio®.
Treat yourself to better sound
The STR-DN1060 gives you high-quality audio performance for TV, movies, and music. Using the included setup microphone, Sony's Advanced Digital Cinema Automatic Calibration system walks you through the process of optimizing your audio settings for your speakers and space. Circuitry inside the receiver measures the efficiency of your speakers and makes adjustments to give you rich, clear sound that's tailored to your room, even at lower volumes. With decoding for lossless surround sound formats, you'll get engaging, lifelike sound from your Blu-ray movies. The STR-DN1060 also supports playback of high-resolution audio formats including DSD, FLAC, ALAC, and WAV.
Add music to any room
When you feel like listening to music, you won't just be confined to your living room for the best audio experience. The STR-DN1060 has multi-zone capabilities so you can have a 5.2 surround system in your main room, and connect a pair of speakers in a second zone. With simultaneous control for two source inputs, you can enjoy music on your patio while others watch a movie in the living room. Thanks to Sony's SongPal Link technology, you can build a whole-home audio system starting with the STR-DN1060. Add compatible Sony sound bars and wireless speakers, and you'll be able to stream music to each one, creating separate audio zones throughout your home that can be controlled independently with the app.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 100 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy, accurate speaker setup
- upscales standard-definition video signals to HD and Ultra HD (up to 4K)
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Wi-Fi for listening to music from a networked PC, free Internet radio, and music services
- includes support for Spotify, Pandora Internet radio, Music Unlimited, and TuneIn Internet radio (subscription required for some services)
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or computer running iTunes
- Google Cast enabled for streaming music from the cloud with compatible mobile apps
- includes support for Spotify, Pandora Internet radio, Music Unlimited, and TuneIn Internet radio (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA-certified for streaming music from compatible networked computers and devices
- plays high-resolution DSD and PCM digital music files via USB storage device or a networked computer (DSD: 2.8MHz; PCM: up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from a compatible smartphone, tablet, or computer
- LDAC™ technology enables transfer of high-resolution audio content via Bluetooth connection
- NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible smartphones
- front- and rear-panel MHL-ready HDMI inputs for accessing content from select Android smartphones and tablets
- front-panel USB input gives you a direct digital connection for your iPod for improved sound quality
- one-touch screen mirroring with Miracast™ enabled smartphones and tablets
- dual-room/dual-source output
- powered and line-level stereo audio output for 2nd room (using powered 2nd-room output allows 5.2 home theater in main room)
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching HD content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- AirPlay and optical/coaxial digital sources cannot be output to Zone 2
- HDMI 2.0 audio/video switching: 6 in, 2 out (including 2 MHL-compatible inputs)
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K UltraHD sources and TVs (SAT/CATV input and main output only)
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from an iPod, iPhone, or USB memory device
- component video switching: 1 in, 1 out
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo audio inputs
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- stereo RCA Zone 2 outputs
- outputs for seven speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- Surround Back channel outputs can also be used as Front High or Front B speakers, Zone 2 speakers, or to bi-amp compatible Front speakers
- IR/remote in/out for use with IR repeaters or external control systems
- Ethernet port
- 1/4" headphone jack
- 4K and 3D pass-through
- free Sony SongPal app lets you use your Apple or Android device as a Wi-Fi remote; SongPal Link wirelessly connects compatible Sony components for whole-home audio
- BRAVIA Sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- IP Control lets you operate the receiver from a web browser control screen on a Windows PC connected to your home network
- intuitive on-screen user interface (via HDMI only)
- dual Wi-Fi antennas
- 30 FM presets
- remote control
- 17"W x 6-13/16"H x 13-5/8"D
- weight: 22.9 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 11665899
What's in the box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- Wireless remote control (RMT-AA130U)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone (ECM-AC2)
- FM wire antenna
- Reference Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- Startup Guide (En/Fr/Sp)
- "Updating The Software" instructions
- "Notes On Connecting The Speakers" sheet
- "To Use Google Cast/SongPal Link" sheet
- Google Cast Setup Instructions
- "How To Setup The SongPal App" instructions
- "Listening To Audio With Bluetooth Headphones" sheet
- US Warranty sheet
- Canada Warranty sheet
- On-line registration sheet
Sony STR-DN1060 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony STR-DN1060
Features & specs
Quality Construction & Circuitry: Borrowing construction and circuitry design from Sony's ES line, the STR-DN1060 AV receiver utilizes selected audio-grade components and parts that together add up to high-quality sound performance.
- New Pre-Amplification Volume IC: Newly developed for the STR-DN1060, the pre-amplifier IC CXD90035, completely separates the ground in the IC and draws it outside of the IC. As a result, interference between each stage is eliminated, enabling high stability amplification to realize high-quality sound with rich low frequencies. In addition, the internal amplification circuit's new design improves excess properties and reduces distortion, for sound with a more open and airy feel.
- Stable Power Amplifier: The STR-DN1060 offers improved structural stability for better sound via the analog signal path. This circuit is located on a glass epoxy board in order to achieve higher speed and power.
- Localized Analog Power Supply: The supply-ground path around the devices is voltage regulated locally to ensure that high frequency elements are minimized, thereby reducing electromagnetic radiation from the circuit and keeping the analogue signal path and amplifier circuit noise free. This design delivers an improvement in the signal-to-noise ratio of digital audio and digital video signals so low frequency sound is more defined, with greater purity and reality.
- Large Capacity Power Transformer: A process of vacuum varnish achieves flat and even varnishing on internal wiring for the power transformer. Inclusion of both a copper short-ring and steel hum-proof belt around the coil and the core prevents noise leakage. This achieves rich bass and fine reproduction of image detail plus more powerful bass and lower frequency drive. The level of detail helps deliver more accurate acoustic bass and vocals, offering a new sense of clarity with space.
- Sony Tuned Electrical Components: Large sized custom made block electrolytic capacitors are used for the main power supply. Selected audio grade resistors are used in all analogue signal paths. Large sized resistors are used together with the original type at selected critical locations. A bigger sized body offers less impedance drift from any thermal effect caused by current flow. This helps the amplifier to achieve a higher grade of sound imaging.
- Premium Construction: For optimum audio-visual performance, the STR-DN1060 uses the highest quality components and design. The rigid steel chassis uses a frame and beam design to reduce external speaker pressure for more focused sound. While a resin-coated circuit board improves structural stability and enables greater output from the power amplifier. The unique heat sink design maximizes air intake into the amplifier circuit, helping to withstand unwanted sound pressure; all combining to deliver powerful, refined sound.
- Heat Sink Design: By studying the fin shape and controlling the uniformity, good and stable sound can be achieved. The amplifier circuit is able to better withstand unwanted sound pressure.
- Digital Circuit Board: The circuit board for the digital stage is secured with strong metal frames to protect the board from speaker sound pressure. The heat sink bracket takes on the duty of shielding the digital circuit from unwanted radiation, and shields the high impedance circuit in the main body from unnecessary noise, thereby realizing clearer sound quality.
- Second Generation ES Solder: Years of sound engineering experience and continuous sound testing by Sony helped to create an ES-grade sound quality solder. A high purity tin base is mixed with small amounts of specially chosen metal elements to create a special alloy capable of delivering sound that is responsive and very smooth.
Assignable 7-Channel Amplifier: The Sony STR-DN1060 AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 100 watts (into 6-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels). The AV receiver's Surround Back/Front Height amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate your type of home theater setup.
- Surround Back: Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio) with 7.2 channel surround, using the Surround Back speaker channels.
- Front Height: You can enjoy vertical sound effects if you connect two additional Front-Height speakers; no Surround Back speakers in this configuration.
- B-Speakers: If you are only connecting a 5.2ch main speaker system, you can use the Surround Back/Front Height/Front B channels as a Speaker B output, allowing you to place a pair of speakers in another room of the house. Speaker B can be played at the same time of Speaker A, or by itself.
- Zone 2: If you are only connecting a 5.2ch main speaker system, you can use the Surround Back/Front Height/Front/Zone 2 channels as a Zone 2 output, allowing you to place a pair of speakers in another room of the house. Zone 2 can be play the same source or a different source as your main zone.
- Zone 2 + Zone: 3: If you are only connecting a 3.2ch main speaker system, you can use the Surround Back/Front Height/Front/Zone 2 channels as a Zone 2 and the Surround/Zone 3 channels as a Zone 3 output, allowing you to place multiple pairs of speakers in different rooms of the house. Zone 2 and Zone 3 can be play the same source or a different source as your main zone.
- Bi-Amp: If you are not using the Surround Back/Front Height/Front B channels at all, you can connect them to your front speakers using a bi-amplifier connection (provides better sound quality for front speakers). A bi-amplification connection uses two amplifiers for one speaker. One amplifier is connected to the woofer section of a loudspeaker while the other is connected to the combined midrange and tweeter section. With this arrangement each amplifier operates over a limited frequency range, making its job easier.
Advanced Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) w/ A.P.M (Automatic Phase Matching): The Sony STR-DN1060 is equipped with Advanced Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position, check for phase, and distinguish frequency characteristics of each speaker. The microphone has an 15' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver. You can select between three auto calibration modes.
- Full Flat: Makes the measurement of frequency from each speaker flat.
- Engineer: Sets to "the Sony listening room standard" frequency characteristics.
- Front Reference: Adjusts the characteristics of all of the
speakers to match the characteristics of the front
- Off: No auto calibration is applied.
Note: You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Digital Signal Processing (DSP): The STR-DN1060 incorporates a powerful DSP that supports the latest surround sound formats and ensures the highest accuracy in the decoding of a variety of Dolby Digital, DTS, and Dolby Pro Logic multi-channel formats.
- Dolby Digital: Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD
- DTS: DTS, DTS-ES, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS 96/24, DTS Neo: 6
- Dolby Pro Logic: Dolby Pro Logic II, Dolby Pro Logic IIx
Note: Dolby Digital and DTS listening modes can only be selected if your audio source is connected to the A/V preamplifier via a digital audio connection (HDMI, optical, or coaxial). To enjoy true 7.1ch Dolby Digital TrueHD and DTS-HD surround sound, the AV receiver must be connected to your Blu-ray player via HDMI.
Direct Stream Digital (DSD): Enjoy studio-quality sound thanks to the Direct Stream Digital (DSD) audio codec; designed specifically for High-Resolution Audio. This 1-bit format utilizes a stream of very high frequency 1s and 0s to recreate audio waveforms at a higher resolution than conventional codecs. The result is clearer, crisper, High-Resolution Audio quality. The STR-DN1060 supports DSD 2.8MHz (2ch) decoding thru USB, as well as DSD 2.8MHz (up to 5ch) decoding thru HDMI.
HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD D.C.S): HD Digital Cinema Sound (HD-D.C.S.) is Sony's new innovative home theater technology using the latest acoustic and digital signal processing technologies. It is based on precise response measurement data of a mastering studio. With this mode, you are able to enjoy Blu-ray and DVD movies at home with not only the high quality of sound, but also the best sound ambience, just as the movie's sound engineer intended in the mastering process.
- For Movies:
- Dynamic: This setting is suitable for an environment which is reverberant but lacks a spacious feel (where sound absorption is not sufficient). It emphasizes the reflection of sound and reproduces the sound of a large, classic movie theater. This emphasizes the spacious feel of a dubbing theater and creates a unique acoustic field.
- Theater: This setting is suitable for a general living room. It reproduces the reverberation of sound just like in a movie theater (dubbing theater). It is most appropriate for watching content recorded on a Blu-ray Disc when you want the atmosphere of a movie theater.
- Studio: This setting is suitable for a living room with the appropriate sound devices. It reproduces the reverberation of sound provided when a theatrical sound source is remixed for a Blu-ray Disc to a volume level suitable for home use. The level of reflection and reverberation of sound is kept to a minimum, while dialogues and surround effects are reproduced vividly.
- For Music:
- Berlin Philharmonic: Reproduces the sound characteristics of the Berlin Philharmonic Hall
- Concertgebouw Amsterdam: Reproduces the sound characteristics produced by the reflectivity of a concert hall in Amsterdam, Netherlands that features a large sound stage.
- Musikverein Vienna: Reproduces the sound characteristics of a concert hall in Vienna, Austria that features a resonant and unique reverberative sound.
- Jazz Club: Reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club.
- Live Concert: Reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live house.
- Stadium: Reproduces the feel of a large open-air stadium.
- Sports: Reproduces the feel of sports broadcasting.
- Portable Audio: Reproduces clear enhanced sound from your portable audio device. This mode is ideal for MP3s and other compressed music.
Direct Modes: The Sony AV receiver offers two Direct audio modes for higher fidelity sound.
- Analog Direct: The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
- Pure Direct: To further enhance sound quality, the receiver's Pure Direct mode not only bypasses the tone and DSP processing, but also turns off the front-panel display to suppress any noise which may affect sound quality.
Headphone Modes: The receiver offers two distinct headphone sound modes.
- HP 2CH: Sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. Two channel sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
- HP Direct: Amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Audio Enhancements: The Sony STR-DN1060 incorporates many different types of audio technologies to help your system sound its best whether you are enjoying high-resolution or compressed audio files, or even listening late at night at low volume levels.
- DSEE HX: The Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX) upscales your compressed digital music files (MP3, ACC, ATRAC and WMA) and takes it closer to the quality of High-Resolution Audio. By restoring the high-range sound lost in the compression process, DSEE HX produces your digital music files in rich, natural sound, closer to the quality of the original recording.
- D.L.L. (Digital Legato Linear): The Digital Legato Linear function is a Sony proprietary technology that allows low quality digital audio signals and analog audio signal to be played back with high quality sound.
- Sound Optimizer: The Sound Optimizer lets you enjoy clear and dynamic sound at low volume levels. It automatically calibrates the sound which cannot be heard well when you turn down the volume level. After Auto Calibration is performed, the sound level is optimized to suit your environment.
- Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
- Auto Volume: Auto Volume adjust the volume automatically depending on the input signal or content from the connected equipment. This function is useful, for example, when the sound of a commercial is louder than the TV programs.
Speaker Settings: The Sony AV receiver offers several audio settings for Front, Center, Surround, and Surround Back speakers; as well as the powered sub.
- Equalizer: You can adjust bass & treble level of the front, center, surround/surround back and front high speakers.
- Center Lift Up: By using front high speakers, you can lift up the sounds of the center speaker to an appropriate height on the screen, allowing you to enjoy a more natural representation.
- LFE Time Alignment: The LFE Time Alignment function allows you to shift the output timing of the LFE channel forward for other channels. This function is effective for adjusting content in which there is a gap between the LFE channel phase and other channel phases.
- In-Ceiling Speaker Mode: This feature will virtually re-locate the Front and Center speakers of your in-ceiling speakers to around the screen. Now you will hear their characters' voices coming from the screen instead of the ceiling. This mode also makes music sound more natural and rich in the room with in-ceiling speakers.
Audio Inputs/Outputs: The Sony STR-DN1060 offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs/outputs.
- Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital inputs (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel. All of the digital audio jacks are compatible with 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, and 96 kHz sampling frequencies.
- Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (single only). Use speakers with a 6- to 16-ohm impedance.
- Dual Sub Outputs: The AV receiver is fitted with two subwoofer preamp outputs to connect dual powered subs (the subwoofer outputs share the same input signal and are not discrete).
- Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted. No sound is output from the headphones when an iPod or iPhone is connected to the receiver.
HDMI 2.0: The receiver is equipped with five HDMI (v.2.0) inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped audio/video component; such as your satellite/cable receiver, Blu-ray/DVD player, and game system. In addition, there are two HDMI v.2.0 outputs (ARC capable) that feed audio/video signals to up to two TVs. You can toggle or simultaneously output the same video between two displays, such as two televisions or a television plus a projector. Or you can setup the second HDMI output as a Zone 2 output, so you can view a different audio/video source in another room of your home. The receiver's HDMI v.2.0 jacks are compatible with 4K/60Hz and 1080p video, 3D video signals, Deep Color & x.v.Color technology; as well as LipSync, ARC, and HDMI control.
- 4K/60Hz + HDCP 2.2: 4K/60Hz Pass Through allows the Sony STR-DN1060 to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K/60Hz compatible TV or display monitor. One of the six HDMI inputs (labeled "SAT/CATV") and the main HDMI mounitor output also support HDCP 2.2 which ensures compatibility with the latest ultra high resolution video formats from online and broadcast providers, as well as 4K Blu-ray discs.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver's HDMI 2.0 jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 color subsampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony STR-DN1060 is compatible with 3D-ready Blu-ray disc movies, video games, and other 3D content through its HDMI (v.1.4) connections. 3D viewing requires 3D-ready source with 3D content, 3D-ready HDTV, 3D glasses, and high-speed HDMI cable. Other 3D accessories may also be needed.
- A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300 ms or set to Auto.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to your receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
HDMI Upscale (4K): The Sony AV receiver's HDMI upscale function improves image quality of non-4K sources to ultra-HD. You can upscale HDMI Input video signals (480/720p/1080i/1080p) to 4K and output them through the HDMI Out jack of the receiver.
Color Technologies: The Sony STR-DN1060 incorporates Triluminos Color, Super Bit Mapping, Deep Color, and x.v.Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: The Sony receiver incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to create a heightened sense of depth and incredibly true, natural shades of colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better too, with natural skin tones.
- Super Bit Mapping: SBM (Super Bit Mapping) is a function that processes and outputs a smooth gradation video signal from the HDMI output jack.
- Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
- x.v.Color: The AV receiver supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
Dual MHL Ports: The receiver's front-panel HDMI input and one of the rear-panel HDMI inputs are MHL compatible, which provides direct connection of MHL compatible smartphones, like your Android smartphone. The front-panel HDMI input is MHL 2.0 certified, while the rear-panel HDMI input is MHL 3.0 certified. Playback of up to 4K (from rear-panel HDMI input) or up to 1080p (from front-panel HDMI input) video and multi-channel audio from your Android smartphone is supported. The receiver will also charge (5V/1A) your connected phone. Play, Stop, and other basic operations can be controlled from the AV receiver's remote control.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
Analog Video Inputs: The Sony STR-DN1060 features a single component video input and one component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals (up to 1080i). The receiver is also fitted with two analog composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. The composite video jacks support 480i video signals only.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Sony STR-DN1060 AV receiver features a rear-panel Ethernet (RJ-45) port and built-in WiFi that allow you to connect the receiver to your home network via a hardwired or wireless connection. By connecting the AV receiver to your home network you are able to stream select online music services from Google Cast and audio files stored on your window-based PC to your home audio system. The Sony AV receiver offers an on-screen setup wizard to configure the receiver to your home's network. The following system environment is required to use the network function of this receiver.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required in order to listen to select online music services and to use the software update function of the receiver.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network. 802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz compatible wireless router for WiFi connection.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Google Cast Audio: Google Cast Audio, the same technology behind Chromecast, lets you cast many of your favorite music apps from your from your Android (OS 2.3+) smartphone tablet, Apple iOS (7.0+) device, Mac computer, Windows PC, or Chromebook to the Sony AV receiver and your speakers. Google Cast Audio certified apps include Google Play Music, TuneIn, Pandora, iHeart Radio, and Rdio (click here for a complete list of compatible apps). Google Cast Audio streams your music directly from the cloud instead of from your phone, so you won't lose any sound quality. Additional Google Cast Audio features include:
- Google Cast Audio allows you to search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop.
- While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room, all without interrupting what's playing on the receiver's speaker system or draining your battery.
- Friends and family can even use their own Google Cast Audio compatible phone or tablet to cast music to you system by connecting to your home's WiFi network.
Note: Google Cast needs to be set up initially using Sony's "SongPal" app on your Apple iOS or Android device.
Miracast Technology: Miracast is a "screen mirroring" function which lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Windows 8.1+ or Android 4.2+ device (with support for Miracast) through the AV receiver to your TV. This allows you to view pictures and videos that are playing on your compatible Windows or Android device on your TV screen. No wireless router or access point required.
SongPal Link: With SongPal Link, a feature of Sony's SongPal app for Apple iOS and Android, you can link multiple Sony SongPal Link compatible devices (sold separately) together to create zones, allowing you to stream select online music services from Google Cast Audio and the SongPal app to different rooms throughout your house over your home's WiFi network.
DLNA Certified: The Sony STR-DN1060 is DLNA certified. By connecting the Sony STR-DN1060 to your home's network, you can listen to music and view photos stored on your Windows PC (w/ Windows Media Player 11 or 12) or a DLNA (ver.1.5) compatible media server. Compatible music formats include - MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (48-320kbps), WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit), FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), and ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit). Compatible still image formats include JPEG, PNG, and GIF. This eliminates the need to copy your and music files to a separate USB storage device.
FM Tuner: The STR-DN1060 has 30 presets FM radio stations. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name. There is no AM tuner on this receiver.
Software Update: By downloading the latest version of software from Sony, you can take advantage of the newest functions. The receiver accesses the Sony server to update the software through its hardwired network connection. Visit the Sony eSuport website for the latest software updates.
Front-Panel USB Port: This AV receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy MP3 (32-320kbps), WMA (48-192kbps), AAC (48-320kbps), WAV (8-48kHz; 16/24-bit), FLAC (44.1-192k; 16/24-bit), AIFF (32-192kHz; 16/24-bit), ALAC (32-96kHz; 16/24-bit), and DSD (2.8MHz) music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as your Android smartphone (Froyo/Gingerbread OS only), Sony Walkman, or USB thumbdrive. The receiver can recognize up to 500 folders and 500 files in each folder. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The STR-DN1060 AV receiver supports iPod, iPhone, and iPad connectivity via its front-panel USB port and HDMI input, as well as built-in AirPlay.
- AirPlay: AirPlay lets you stream your favorite songs directly from your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad, or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac to the Sony STR-DN1060, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple's free Remote app onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the components or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. You will even see the iTunes music information, including your track titles and artist info via the Sony receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI). To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch, iPhone, and iPad must have iOS 4.3.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
- USB Direct: The Sony STR-DN1060 supports digital music playback from an iPod, iPhone, or iPad using its front-panel USB (type-A) port. Simply plug your compatible Apple device into the receiver's front-panel USB port, using the cable that came with your iPod/iPhone/iPad. Stored music and music apps from your connected Apple device can be played through the AV receiver, bypassing the iPod/iPhone D/A converter for better sound quality. The iPod/iPhone/iPad can be controlled by the receiver's remote, or you can continue to use the Apple device's clickwheel or touchscreen. You can search for stored music on your compatible Apple device by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. You also have access to Repeat (One/All/Off) and Shuffle (Songs/Albums/Off) functions. The receiver offers limited control (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) of music apps on your iPod/iPhone. Song/artist information from stored music and music apps on your iPod/iPhone will display on your connected TV via HDMI. Your Apple iPod/iPhone's battery will be charged while connected to the receiver (max. 1A). This unit will not charge the iPad.
- HDMI Video: You can also view video from stored movies and movie apps from select iPods, iPhone, and iPads by connecting your Apple device to the AV receiver's front-panel USB and HDMI input. Use the Apple Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter (472LT2HDMI sold separately), the Apple Lightning-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your Lightning connector iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad to the AV receiver. Use the Apple Dock-to-Digital AV Adapter (47230PHDMI, sold separately), the Apple Dock-to-USB cable that came with your device, and a HDMI cable (sold separately) to connect your iPod touch (4th gen), iPhone 4/4S, or iPad (1/2/3). Using the HDMI input, video from your iPod/iPhone/iPad can only be navigated from your Apple device's touchscreen (select Simple mode on receiver).
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Sony STR-DDN1060 is "made for iPod/iPhone" and supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 6/11/2015):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Connection Type||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|USB||AirPlay||Bluetooth||Audio||Video||Remote||iPod/iPhone||Album Art||Artist/Song Text||Track Info|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Advanced On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard (via HDMI): You can display the receiver's on-screen menu on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. You can easily access and manage your input devices and settings with this intuitive 5-panel "activity based" on-screen menu. The STR-DN1060 on-screen, set-up wizard will take you through everything you need to create and control your home theater experience. The on-screen menu is only available from the receiver's HDMI output. If your TV is connected to the composite video monitor output, you will need to use the AV receiver's front-panel display when changing settings.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Multi-Source/Multi-Zone: In addition to the receiver's main audio/video zone, the Sony STR-DN1060 allows you to enjoy the same or different audio/video sources in the multiple rooms of your home. The AV receiver offers Zone 2 with line-level and speaker-level outputs for audio in a second room, Zone 3 with speaker-level outputs for audio in a third room, and a HDMI Zone for audio/video in a fourth room.
- Zone 2: Zone 2 features line-level and speaker-level
outputs. Zone 2 can be powered by a
separate amplifier (keeping 7.2ch playback in your main room) or by the
STR-DN1060's built-in amplifier (limiting the main room to 5.2ch). The
volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Sony receiver using either
configuration or from your add-on integrated amplifier when using the
- Compatible Sources: Tuner, Analog, USB, Home Network, Music Services and Bluetooth input sources are supported in Zone 2 via line-level or speaker-level output. When selecting USB, Home Network, Music Services, or Bluetooth from the main zone and Zone 2, priority is given to the choice which has most recently been selected; even if a different choice has already been selected in one of the zones. The same AM/FM station will be played back in the Main Zone and Zone 2.
- Incompatible Sources: Analog video, HDMI, and Optical/Coaxial input sources are not output to Zone 2 via line-level or speaker-level.
- Zone 3: Zone 3 features speaker level outputs for amplification
of a pair of speakers in a third room of your home. By reassigning the
receiver's Surround channels for Zone 3, you limit the main listening room
to 3.2ch. Volume will be controlled from the Sony receiver.
- Compatible Sources: Tuner, Analog, USB, Home Network, Music Services and Bluetooth input sources are supported in Zone 3 via line-level or speaker-level output. When selecting USB, Home Network, Music Services, or Bluetooth from the main zone and Zone 3, priority is given to the choice which has most recently been selected; even if a different choice has already been selected in one of the zones. The same AM/FM station will be played back in the Main Zone and Zone 3.
- Incompatible Sources: Analog video, HDMI, and Optical/Coaxial input sources are not output to Zone 3 via line-level or speaker-level.
- HDMI Zone: The Sony AV receiver provides a HDMI Zone
output, so two different HDMI audio/video input feeds can be sent to two
different displays at the same time directly from the receiver. The HDMI Zone
will also output 2ch audio signals (multi-channel audio is downmixed) for
the HDMI input source selected. If you connect TVs that have different
resolutions in the Main Zone and HDMI Zone, but select the same HDMI input
for both zones, the video signals output to each TV are limited to the lower
- Compatible Sources: Only HDMI input sources are supported by the receiver's HDMI Zone function.
- Incompatible Sources: Tuner, Analog video, USB, Bluetooth, Home Network, Music Services, and Optical/Coaxial sources are not supported by the receiver's HDMI Zone function.
Custom Presets: The Sony AV receiver features 3 Custom Preset buttons (1-2-3) on the remote control to make operating the receiver easier. Pressing a Preset button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode. These buttons are pre-configured, but can also be manually reconfigured to your preference.
Input Mode: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch.
Input Name: You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 20 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
IR Remote + Bravia Theater Sync: The supplied IR remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders. Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
- Theater Mode Sync: Allows you to switch the AV receiver's Theater mode from the receiver's, TV, or connected Blu-ray disc player's remote control, while pointing the remote toward your television.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Sony STR-DN1060 AV receiver features built-in Bluetooth (version 3.) for wireless audio streaming. The receiver can act as a Bluetooth receiver in order to wirelessly stream music from an audio device, or a Bluetooth transmitter in order to wirelessly stream music to a set of BT-enabled headphones.
- Receiver Mode: The Sony STR-DN1060 incorporates Bluetooth A2DP
1.2/AVRCP 1.5, so you can stream music wirelessly from a BT-enabled device
(like your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad), Android smartphone/tablet, Windows
Phone/PC, or Mac computer/laptop) to the AV receiver.
- Wireless Audio Streaming & Control: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your BT-enabled device to the Sony receiver. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Song/artist information is displayed on the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI).
- LDAC Codec Support: In addition to support for Bluetooth standard SBC codec and Apple's AAC codec, the receiver also supports Sony's newest LDAC codec. LDAC is a new audio technology from Sony that allows you to enjoy high quality wireless audio via Bluetooth. With 3x the data transmitted (compared to regular Bluetooth), LDAC provides an enhanced wireless listening experience for all your music.
- Transmitter Mode: In Transmitter mode, you can enjoy listening to audio from the AV receiver's built-in FM tuner, network streaming content, online music services from Google Cast Audio and SongPal, as well as connected sources through a set of Bluetooth headphones. The receiver's connected speakers are muted when transmitting audio wirelessly over Bluetooth to a set of headphones.
- SSP + NFC Pairing: The STR-DN1060 pairs wirelessly and effortlessly with Bluetooth-enabled devices and headphones (up to 9) with a single press of a button. Bluetooth-enabled devices (like Android 2.3.3 or later) that have Near Field Communication (NFC) are even easier to pair with; simply touch the device to the NFC logo on the receiver and they're paired. NFC Easy Connect app is needed for your Android device, unless you have Android OS 4.1 or later installed. Once paired, the AV receiver will automatically re-connect to your device or headphone when within range (up to 33').
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony receiver.
Remote Apps: The Sony STR-DN1060 offers remote control from your Apple iOS or Android device via Sony's SonyPal or TV SideView apps.
- SongPal App: By downloading Sony's free SongPal remote app (from Apple's App Store or The Google Play Store), you can use your Apple iOS (6.0+) or Android (2.3+) device to control the AV receiver via Bluetooth or WiFi connection. From the SongPal remote app, you can select input sources and customize sound settings of the Sony AV receiver. You'll also be able to browse music stored on your Network, Computer, or a USB mass storage class device from the SongPal remote app on your compatible smartphone. You'll even be able to access the AV receiver's built-in online music services; like Pandora, TuneIn, and Music Unlimited. In addition, you can access stored music and other apps on your smartphone using the SongPal remote app. The SongPal app will display song/artist information and album art.
- TV SideView App: You can also control the receiver using Sony's TV SideView app on your Apple iOS (7.0+) or Android (4.0.3+) mobile device. Search for TV SideView on Google Play or the App Store and download to your mobile device. You need to register your mobile devices in which TV SideView is installed to the receiver before you use TV SideView for the first time.
The Sony STR-DN1060 replaces these items
- 7-channel amplifier; 100 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless music listening from networked computers, smartphones, and online music services like Spotify®
- independent zone 2 HDMI output for enjoying digital A/V sources in a second room
8 questions already asked