About the Sony STR-DE995
7.1-channel home theater excitement, Sony reliability, and loads of user-friendly convenience features the STR-DE995 delivers it all at a breakthrough price! 100 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 7 creates an enveloping, 360º soundfield that fully immerses you in the movie action. Surround processing options abound you get Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, Dolby Pro Logic® II, DTS Neo:6, and Sony's Digital Cinema Sound modes. And, if you've got a 7.1 speaker system, this receiver can transform 5.1 and 6.1 Dolby Digital and DTS soundtracks into 7.1 surround automatically!
Dual-room/dual-source output lets a housemate listen to a 2nd stereo source in another room while you enjoy surround sound in your main room (receiver or shelf system required in 2nd room). The learning/multibrand LCD remote offers intuitive control of all your A/V gear, and even programmable macros that let you execute a series of system commands with a single button press.
Convenient front-panel buttons give you easy access to every playback option this receiver offers. Want to watch a movie? Just press the A.F.D. ("Auto Format Decoding") button the receiver automatically detects the surround format of the incoming source, and plays back multichannel sound through your home theater speakers. When you want to listen to stereo sources exactly as recorded, press the "2-channel" button.
You get plenty of connectivity for hooking up all your A/V components, including 5 digital inputs and 5 A/V inputs, plus HDTV-compatible component video switching. The front panel sports an A/V (with S-video) input and an optical digital input, for quick, easy hookup of camcorders, game systems, and portable audio players. Composite-to-S-video conversion simplifies connection to your TV. A 7.1 input keeps you ready for future formats.
- 100 watts x 7 into 8 ohms (20-20,000Hz) at 0.09% THD
- Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES and Dolby Pro Logic II decoding
- DTS Neo:6 modes
- Digital Cinema Sound modes
- 32-bit processor
- dual-room/dual-source audio (preamp stereo output for 2nd room)
- learning/multibrand LCD remote with macros
- composite-to-S-video conversion
- analog direct mode
- 2 multichannel inputs (one 7.1, one 5.1)
- component video switching (2 in, 1 out, 80MHz bandwidth)
- digital inputs: 4 optical (including 1 front-panel), 1 coaxial
- optical digital output
- 3 audio inputs (including phono) and 5 A/V inputs (including 4 S-video and 1 front-panel)
- on-screen display (requires TV with A/V input)
- Control A1II
- Control S
- 30 AM/FM presets
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- banana plug-compatible binding posts for all main-room speakers
- 16-15/16" W x 6-1/4"H x 15-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
What's in the box:
- Black AM/FM/Dolby Digital/DTS receiver
- RM-LG112 Wireless remote control
- 2 "AA" batteries
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with attached coax connector
- Operating Instructions
- Easy Setup Guide
- Important Safeguards
- Owner Registration Card
- Warranty sheet
- Sheet on correct loudspeaker connections using the binding posts (taped to top of receiver)
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony STR-DE995
Features & specs
32-Bit Processor: This receiver employs a 32-bit processor, providing precise surround decoding for Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, DTS, DTS-ES, DTS Neo:6, Dolby Pro Logic, and Dolby Pro Logic II, plus Sony's Digital Cinema Sound modes.
7-channel Amplifier: This receiver drives 100 full-bandwidth-rated watts x 7 channels of power.
7.1-Channel Decoding: This unit is equipped to decode 7.1-channel signals. In addition to the standard 5.1 channels, some movies now encode surround back channels. The surround back channels improve the realism of sounds panned across the rear soundstage.
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
- Dolby Digital
- Dolby Digital EX
- Dolby Pro Logic
- Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie and Music)
- DTS-ES (Discrete 6.1 and Matrix 6.1)
- DTS Neo:6 (Cinema and Music)
- Cinema Studio Ex. A (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Cinema Studio Ex. B (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Cinema Studio Ex. C (Digital Cinema Sound)
- Jazz Club
- Live Concert
Headphone Sound Fields: When headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:
- 2CH: outputs the sound in stereo. Standard 2-channel sources completely bypass the sound field processing. Multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2-channels.
- Direct: outputs the analog signals without digital processing
- Multi 1/2: outputs the analog signals input to the Multi-channel input jacks
- Theater (Digital Cinema Sound): allows you to experience a theater-like environment
Analog Direct: Analog direct mode bypasses all digital signal processing for maximum audio purity from any analog source.
Sound Field Customizing: Depending on the Mode selected, you can adjust the following parameters:
- Front Balance: allows you to adjust the balance between the front left and right speakers from L+16 to R+16
- Center Level: the level may be adjusted from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Left Level: the level may be adjusted from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Right Level: the level may be adjusted from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Back Left Level: the level may be adjusted from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Surround Back Right Level: the level may be adjusted from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Subwoofer Level: the level may be adjusted from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB increments
- Dynamic Range Compressor:
allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You may select
standard or maximum compression.
- Note: This feature only works with Dolby Digital sources.
- Effect Level: the "presence" of the surround effect may be set to Minimum, Standard, or Maximum
2nd Audio Output: This unit is equipped with stereo RCA jacks to send a stereo audio signal to a receiver or amplifier in another room. The same source or different sources may be played in the main room and the 2nd room. Only signals from components connected to the analog input jacks are passed through the 2nd audio output jacks.
Note: If "2nd Room" is set to "Source" and you select the Multi CH 1 or 2 input, you will get no output from the 2nd audio jacks. Additionally, you cannot select Phono as the second audio source.
Dual Multichannel Inputs: Although this unit features built-in Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS processing, it also has a 5.1 multichannel input and a 7.1 multichannel input for use with external multichannel decoders.
Station and Source Naming: Each preset station and program source may be given an index name of up to 8 characters. For example, two VCRs can be displayed as 8MM and VHS.
Composite to S-Video Conversion: This receiver automatically converts composite video signals to S-video signals. Although video can be sent to your television using the composite and S-Video monitor outputs of the receiver, you have the option to relay video from composite and S-Video sources to your television using only the S-Video monitor output and an S-Video cable (sold separately).
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 2 hours, 1 hour and 30 minutes, 1 hour, or 30 minutes.
Dimmer: You can choose from 3 levels of display brightness.
Learning/Multibrand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-coded to control Sony A/V equipment and most brands of CD players, DAT decks, MD recorders, tape decks, LD players, video CD players, VCRs, DVD players, TVs, DSS receivers, and cable boxes. In addition, this remote can learn up to 80 infrared commands from remotes of other components. A single-line LCD at the top of the remote shows the source currently being controlled. The LCD has an amber backlight that stays illuminated for 3 seconds after a new source is selected.
Macro Play: Up to 2 macros, each with a maximum of 10 steps, can be stored in the remote, allowing you to perform a series of operations at the push of a button.
DVD Digital Input: The digital audio connection assigned to the DVD audio and video inputs is a coaxial digital connection. Although the optical digital inputs on this receiver can be assigned to various sources, they cannot be assigned to the connections labeled "DVD". If the only digital output on your DVD player is an optical output, you may assign one of this receiver's optical inputs to the "TV/SAT", "Video 1" or "Video 2" inputs, then you may use those connections for your DVD player. If you want to route component video from your DVD player to this receiver and your DVD player only has an optical digital audio output, you'll need to connect your DVD player to the TV/SAT inputs of this receiver.
Speaker Outputs: There are binding post connectors for the left front A, right front A, left front B, right front B, center, left surround, right surround, left surround back, and right surround back speakers. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs.
Control A1 II: The Control A1 II Control System was designed to simplify the operation of audio systems composed of separate Sony components. Control A1 II connections provide a path for the transmission of control signals, which enable automatic operation and control features usually associated with integrated systems. This receiver has a single Control A1 II mini-jack output.
Control S: This receiver has one Control S mini-jack output and one mini-jack input for use with compatible Sony components.
The Sony STR-DE995 replaces these items