About the Sony VPL-VW695ES
With a dynamic contrast ratio of 350,000:1, every scene springs to life.
Taking 4K picture quality even higher
Compared to the more basic VPL-VW295ES, the VPL-VW695ES boosts brightness and contrast to produce a picture with more depth and pop. That's an advantage for any video source, but it's especially beneficial when watching HDR-enhanced content.
The VPL-VW695ES improves upon the features and technologies of its predecessor, the VPL-VW675ES, and still costs thousands less!
4K with HDR goes beyond the movie theater experience
The VPL-VW695ES is based on the same 4K Digital Cinema SXRD™ technology used in Sony's pro projectors. But even the $40,000 projectors at your local cineplex don't include HDR (High Dynamic Range). HDR significantly expands the picture contrast range with both deeper blacks and brighter highlights.
Sony's Advanced Iris dynamic iris helps this projector excel at reproducing the dramatic contrast swings of HDR-enhanced content. The iris opens and closes instantly, precisely controlling light output on a scene-by-scene basis. The projector's 350,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio can optimize both dark and bright scenes, to produce deep black levels with incredible detail.
There's lots of of HDR-encoded 4K movies and shows available from streaming services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video. Since the VPL-VW695ES has no built-in web apps, you'll need to connect a 4K media streamer to explore this great-looking content. Of course, for the large images of projector systems, the ultimate high-resolution source is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
4K is made for large screens
The VPL-VW695ES's 4K Ultra HD projection system has four times the detail of 1080p.
4K's improved picture detail is certainly visible on typical TV-sized screens, but Ultra HD really comes into its own on larger screens. When you're projecting onto a screen that's 100", 120" or even larger, the enhanced clarity and sense of depth and texture create an immersive viewing experience.
The amount of 4K content out there continues to grow, but this projector doesn't need 4K video to thrill. Sony has some of the best video processing available in a consumer projector. One of its biggest strengths is upscaling HD content to 4K. Sony calls this advanced processor Reality Creation, and it's based on years of experience upscaling movies to 4K in thousands of theaters worldwide.
Go with the Motionflow™
The larger the image, the more challenging it is to maintain a smooth, clear picture during fast-paced onscreen action. Sony's Motionflow is one of the most sophisticated and refined blur-reduction technologies available, and the VPL-VW695ES has a version with some unique capabilities.
Several presets, ranging from aggressive to mild, make it easy to reduce motion blur and judder without introducing the unnatural looking "soap opera effect." Some of the most effective modes make use of "dark frame insertion," which avoids the image artifacts created by motion compensation processing, but also reduces light output by about 25%. So, if your setup requires the projector's maximum light output, you may want to select one of the other Motionflow options.
Flexible setup for rooms large and small
Professional installation is a popular choice for projectors in this price range, but Sony designed the VPL-VW695ES for easy setup. It features a powered zoom lens and powered lens shift for adjusting the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement. Sony recommends a maximum screen size of 300", or 150" if you want to use the 3D feature. You'll also get amazing results with screens sized 100" or less.
And because Sony's super-quiet cooling fan is inaudible from more than a few feet away, you won't be distracted by fan noise in smaller rooms. Out-of-the-box picture settings are so spot on, you'll be tempted to leave them as-is. But if you like to tweak, you can fine-tune brightness, contrast, and color to suit a wide range of rooms, screens, and video sources.
For the best picture quality from this 4K projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- 3 SXRD panels with Full Digital Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels each)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10 and HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness with HDR sources
- widescreen 16:9/17:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- Picture Position Memory makes it easy to watch movies in the ideal aspect ratio, including Cinemascope, without an anamorphic lens
- recommended image size: 60" to 300"
- light output: 1800 ANSI lumens
- Advanced Iris dynamic iris for outstanding picture contrast and black levels
- 350,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
- 4K Reality Creation upscaling sharpens high-definition video sources to near-4K quality
- TRILUMINOS™ technology for a wider color range
- 10-bit processing enables over one billion colors
- 4K Motionflow™ frame interpolation for improved motion clarity, even on 4K sources
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced 4K/HDR content (via future firmware update)
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (Sony TDG-BT500A active 3D glasses sold separately)
- reduced input lag shortens response time for better video game performance
- 2.1X powered zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- 2 HDMI 2.0b
- Ethernet port supports network monitoring and control protocols
- USB input for firmware updates
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- two 12V trigger outputs for controlling a motorized screen or other device
- detachable power cord
- 280-watt UHP lamp (lasts up to 6000 hours in Eco mode)
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (26 dB)
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 19-1/2"W x 8-1/8"H x 18-1/4"D
- weight: 31 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # VPLVW695ES
What's in the box:
- 4K Video front projector
- 8' AC power cord
- Remote control (RM-PJ24)
- Two "AA" batteries
- Lens cap (installed)
- Operating Instructions on CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Manual
- Warranty Sheet
Sony VPL-VW695ES reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony VPL-VW695ES
Features & specs
|Resolution (pixels)||4096 x 2160|
|Approximate Lamp Life||2000-6000|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||1800white/1800color|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||No|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Total Video Inputs||2|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||---|
|Composite Video Inputs||---|
|USB Media Port||No|
Advanced SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display): Advanced SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) panels with an ultra-fast response rate of 2.5 milliseconds minimize the space between pixels for a smoother, more detailed image. Consisting of a thin LCD layer backed with a highly reflective silicon plate, SXRD splits the white light of the lamp into different colors using mirrors and sends them to a red, green, and blue panel in 4K resolution. Light passes in and out of each panel, allowing more effective light blocking for exceptionally deep blacks.
- Full Digital Cinema 4K: Sony's VPL-VW695ES SXRD 4K video projector offers Full Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI)-based 4096 x 2160 resolution, delivering a cinematic 4K experience in your home. With 4096 x 2160 resolution and pixels one quarter the size of those from traditional 1080p projectors, the Sony 4K projector delivers smooth, lifelike images with fewer artifacts, even on home theater screens up to 300" in 2D (or 150" in 3D). Now you can sit closer to the action, while jagged edges and revealed pixels are eliminated.
- 4K Reality Creation Upscaling: Sony's exclusive Reality Creation technology analyzes images right down to the pixel level. It then employs pattern-matching algorithms developed over years of movie production to enhance crispness even without increasing digital picture noise. It also upscales existing Full HD Blu-ray Disc and DVD movies to near 4K quality
Note: Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view HDR content.
Dual HDMI 2.0b Inputs (HDCP 2.2 Compatible): The Sony VPL-VW695ES is outfitted with two HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI 2.0b inputs to connect your high-definition and ultra-high definition sources; such as Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray player, Satellite/Cable receiver, game system, or AV receiver. In addition, the HDMI inputs can be used to connect a PC to this projector. The HDMI inputs will accept 4K/60Hz (4:4:4; BT.2020), 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported only by the projector's HDMI 1 & 2 inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All HDMI 2.0a inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTV and early generation 4K Ultra HDTV covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: The projector does not offer any analog video inputs.
HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video: HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail. The Sony VPL-VW695ES supports two HDR formats - including HDR10 which is the most widely used format and is installed from the factory, plus HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) which is designed for over-the-air broadcast and requires an over-the-network firmware update.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the projector that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
Note: This projector does not support Dolby Vision.
Color Technologies: The Sony VPL-VW695ES incorporates Triluminos Color, Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020), Deep Color, & x.v.Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: Discover true-to-life colors and tones with Triluminos color technology. The VPL-VW695ES incorporates Triluminos color, reproducing more tones and textures than a standard projector system. Hard-to-reproduce crimson reds, aqua blues, and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces also look better with skin tones more faithfully reproduced.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- Deep Color: The projector also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
- x.v.Color: The 4K projector also supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
4K MotionFlow: The powerful video processor in the VPL-VW679ES offers Motionflow for smooth and clear motion, even when viewing 4K content. Motionflow is best for fast-moving sports content as it adds frames to reduce blur, while maintaining brightness. Movie theater purists can choose True Theater mode to retain the original 24fps.
280W High Pressure Lamp w/ Dynamic Lamp Control: The Sony VPL-VW695ES employs a 280W high pressure. Enjoy up to 6,000 hours of watch time (in low mode) from this long-lasting mercury lamp. This means fewer lamp swaps, simpler maintenance, and lower running costs. Sony's dynamic lamp control technology perfectly establishes vibrant, cinema-quality brightness levels on your favorite 2D or 3D movies and TV shows.
Note: When replacing the lamp, use Sony's LMP-H280 Projector Lamp (sold separately). The air filter is supplied with the LMP-H280 Projector Lamp.
High Brightness & Contrast: The video projector's Advanced Dynamic IRIS provides up to a 350,000:1 contrast ratio by optimizing both dark and bright scenes to produce deep black levels with incredible detail. The Sony VPL-VW695ES video projector outputs 1,800 lumens of white light and 1,800 lumens of color light (ANSI rating) for a bright and dynamic picture.
Motorized Lens: The Sony VPL-VW695ES features a F3.0-F4.0 lens with a focal length of 21.7mm to 44.7mm. Installing the VPL-VW695ES is easy with its motorized lens and wide throw distance range. The 2.06x powered zoom lens and a wide lens shift range provide further installation flexibility and remarkable performance in nearly every screening room. The Sony VPL-VW695ES video projector can produce a 4K image that is adjustable between 60" and 300". The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities for a given screen size.
|Screen Size||Throw Distance|
|80"||91" - 187"|
|100"||115" - 235"|
|120"||138" - 282"|
|150"||173" - 353"|
|200"||231" - 472"|
Note: Check out Sony's Projection Simulator App (for Apple iOS 6.0+ and Android OS 4.0+) to help you choose the right screen size for your preferred viewing distance and projector location, plus get other helpful installation tips.
Installation Adjustments: During the initial setup, or subsequent adjustment, these features help optimize performance and offer placement flexibility.
- Lens Shift: Lens Shift lets you raise, lower, or reposition the projected image without changing the angle relationship between the projector and the screen. It also reduces the need to physically move the projector horizontally or vertically to fit the image within the borders of the screen. This projector has a vertical lens shift of +85% -80% and a horizontal lens shift of +/-31%.
- Image Flip: Flips the image vertically or horizontally.
- Blanking: Allows you to adjust the displayable region within the four directions of the screen.
- Panel Alignment: This feature allows you to adjust the gaps in the color of characters or the picture.
Note: Sony does not offer Keystone correction for this projector because it degrades the image. When applying the digital process of keystone correction to an image it uses compression and scaling to manipulate the shape of the projected image so the number of individual pixels used is reduced, lowering the resolution and thus degrading the quality of the image projected.
Picture Calibration: Quickly calibrate your picture to the type of content you're enjoying with a variety of adjustments.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select an aspect ratio best
suited for the video signal received. Choose from the following -
- 1.85:1 Zoom: a 1.85:1 aspect ratio picture is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged so that black bands do not appear at the top and bottom of the screen
- 2.35:1 Zoom: a 2.35:1 aspect ratio picture is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged so that black bands at the top and bottom of the screen are as small as possible
- Normal: input video is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged to fill the screen; this mode is suitable for viewing 1.78:1 (16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) video
- Stretch: displays video that has been squeezed to 1.33:1 (4:3) as 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio
- V Stretch: this is the most suitable mode for using a 2.35:1 screen to view 2.35:1 video with a commercially available anamorphic lens
- Squeeze: with this setting, 1.78:1 (16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) video will be displayed in their correct aspect ratios when you use a commercially available anamorphic lens
- Picture View Mode: You can select the picture viewing
mode that best suits the type of video source or room
conditions. You can save and use different preset modes for 2D/3D respectively.
- Cinema Film 1: picture quality suited to reproducing the highly dynamic and clear images typical of master positive film
- Cinema Film 2: picture quality suited to reproducing the rich tone and color typical of a movie theater
- Reference: picture quality setup suitable for when you want to reproduce faithfully the original image quality, or for enjoying image quality, without any adjustment
- TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, etc
- Photo: ideal for projecting still images taken with a digital camera
- Game: picture quality suited to gaming, with well-modulated colors and fast response
- Bright Cinema: picture quality suited for watching
movies in a bright environment, such
as a living room
- Bright TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, and other video images in a bright environment, such as a living room
- User: adjust the picture quality settings manually to suit your taste then saves the setting; adjust brightness, color, hue, color temperature, sharpness, and noise reduction
- Picture Quality: You can easily adjust the picture
quality that suits your taste by selecting the adjustment.
items with the remote control. The adjusted data can be stored in each calibrated preset.
- Reality Creation: adjusts the detail and noise processing of images; the texture and detail of the picture become sharper. while the noise (picture roughness) becomes less prominent
- Cinema Black Pro: increase the brightness in order to project brighter images or decrease the brightness in order to enhance blacks
- Clear White: emphasizes vivid whites
- Color Space: converts the color space best suited for your video content
- Color Correction: Adjusts Hue, Saturation or Brightness of the selected color - Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, and Magenta
- Contrast Enhancer: corrects the level of bright and dark parts automatically to optimize contrast according to a scene
- Smooth Gradation: smoothes the gradation of the flat parts of images
- Gamma Correction: adjusts the response characteristics of the tone of the picture
- MPEG Noise Reduction: reduces block noise and mosquito noise, in particular in digital signals
- Input Lag Reduction: reduces the delay of the display for a video
Auto Calibration & Picture Position Memory: Over time, the aging of components like the lamp make changes to the look on the screen. A built in RGB sensor and software allow you to quickly adjust your picture to the way it looked when first installed. You can also store lens, zoom, and shift settings for up to five screen formats for easy recall. Picture Position Memory remembers key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16:9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector.
3D Ready: The VPL-VW695ES has a built-in 3D transmitter that supports 3D video in a variety of formats, and can even simulate your 2D movie classics to high-quality 3D immersive video. The optional glasses (TDG-BT500A, sold separately) use an industry-standard RF connection, making it easy to upgrade to a 3D theater experience.
- 3D Adjustment: You can adjust the depth of the 3D image to your personal preference, as well as set the image brightness when using the 3D display mode.
- 2D-to-3D Conversion: To ensure that you can enjoy 3D any time you want, Sony has incorporated 2D-to-3D conversion, which allows you to watch your favorite 2D movies, TV programs, or games in virtual 3D.
Gaming Mode: Reduced input lag creates a better response time between control input and on-screen action, making video games perform better than ever before. Immerse yourself in your favorite games and beat your opponent to the punch
IMAX Enhanced Technology (via Firmware Update): Get the most premium at-home entertainment experience with IMAX Enhanced; the latest technology program from IMAX that sets a new standard for image, sound, scale and content quality. This new certification and licensing program combines IMAX digitally re-mastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies to offer a new level of quality in immersive sight and sound experiences in the home. IMAX Enhanced lets you experience premium content digitally remastered by IMAX, so you can watch the highest-quality 4K movies with immersive audio delivered by DTS. Not only will IMAX Enhanced content look and sound amazing, but other audio/video content will also look and sound great too.
- Remastered 4K/HDR Video: It utilizes a sophisticated, advanced algorithm designed to produce the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images. This advanced process accurately reduces noise and grain under the filmmaker's guidance to best optimize the content for a much higher quality, higher brightness 4K HDR display format. Select IMAX Enhanced titles that were shot with IMAX cameras or specially formatted for IMAX theatres will also include an expanded aspect ratio for the film's home release to show your more picture on your TV. IMAX Enhanced certified projectors must support for HDR10 and dynamic, as well as specific calibration, resolution, color, brightness, contrast, and scale of image capabilities.
- Remastered DTS:X Audio: IMAX and DTS will also partner with award-winning Hollywood sound mixers to use a special variant of its DTS:X codec technology integrated in home audio equipment to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience that is dynamic, immersive, theatrical, and powerful. IMAX Enhanced supports both 5.1 and 11.1 formats, but the recommended speaker layout for an IMAX Enhanced system is 7.2.4 with seven horizontal speakers, two subwoofers and four height speakers; 5.1.4 is the minimum layout for IMAX Enhanced. However, due to various constraints you may opt to install only a 5.1ch speaker system. In such cases, DTS Virtual:X is required to properly render and remap audio to the available speakers.
- Available IMAX Content: IMAX is working with its global studio and other content partners to build a steady stream of IMAX Enhanced versions of movies and other programming using the newest, proprietary post-production process developed by IMAX. IMAX will be announcing and releasing IMAX Enhanced versions of a wide range of films both for 4K/HDR streaming and Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs.
- To take full advantage of IMAX Enhanced, you need an IMAX Enhanced certified 4K/HDR TV (65"-up) or Projector and an IMAX Enhanced certified DTS:X enabled AV receiver or soundbar.
- IMAX and DTS developed the IMAX Enhanced program out of their decades of combined expertise in image and sound science to make it easier for consumers to select the products and content that will deliver the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images and powerful, immersive sound at home.
- To qualify and carry the IMAX Enhanced logo, the highest-end TVs, AV receivers, projectors, and sound bars must meet stringent performance standards established by IMAX, DTS and Hollywood's leading colorists in order to create a consistent and higher bar for image and sound performance on premium devices.
Mounting Options: The VPL-VW695ES can be placed on a table top or ceiling mounted (mounting bracket sold separately). The projector has two adjustable rubber feet to angle the unit when projecting from a table. There are three 5mm threaded inserts that allow you to use a projector ceiling mount (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to mount the unit from your ceiling.
IR Remote: The supplied IR remote allows you to wirelessly control many of the projector's functions.
Custom Installation Inputs: The Sony VPL-VW695ES features an IR remote input, dual 12V triggers, RS-232 port, and LAN jack for custom installations and applications.
- IR Input: The video projector has a 3.5mm minijack input for use with an external IR receiver (sold separately).
- 12V Triggers: Use the 12-volt triggers outputs (3.5mm) to trigger on a motorized screen and other components.
- RS-232C Port: Seamlessly integrate the VPL-VW695ES into virtually any major automation system via the bi-directional, industry-standard RS-232C connection.
- RJ-45: The RJ-45 (LAN) port supports network monitoring and control protocols (SDAP, SDCP, DDDP).
Power Saving Modes: If no signal is input for 10 minutes, power is turned off automatically and the projector goes into standby mode.
Whisper-Quiet Fan: Due to the VPL-VW695ES advanced air discharge system, Sony's whisper-quiet fan emits only 26db during show. time. Plus, having a front air intake and exhaust allows the VPL-VW695ES to be positioned near a wall without having to worry about cooling issues.
USB Port (Software Updates Only): You can download files to update the software of the unit from Sony's Online Support Site. Simply copy the downloaded files to a USB thumbdrive, then insert the USB thumbdrive into the USB port of the projector and perform the update.
Warranty: The projector is covered by a 3-year parts and labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days.
The Sony VPL-VW695ES replaces these items
- 4K Ultra HD 3D-ready home theater projector
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10 and HLG)) for extremely wide contrast and high brightness levels with HDR content
- dynamic iris for excellent picture contrast (350,000:1)
1 question already asked