About the Sony VPL-VW715ES
True 4K provides movie theater picture detail at home
True 4K provides movie theater picture detail at home
The VPL-VW715ES is a true 4K projector with Full Digital Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160), which works out to 8.8 million pixels. By comparison, most pixel-shifting "4K-compatible" projectors typically have around 4 million pixels. True 4K accurately reveals the tiniest details and subtlest textures in 4K sources — it looks clearer, richer, and more dynamic.
Sony's Advanced Iris dynamic iris helps this projector excel at reproducing the dramatic contrast swings of HDR-enhanced content. The iris opens and closes instantly, precisely controlling light output on a scene-by-scene basis. The projector's 350,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio can optimize both dark and bright scenes, to produce deep black levels with incredible detail.
Sony's acclaimed X1™ video processor, now optimized for projection
Sony's powerful X1 series of video processors has helped establish their 4K LED and OLED TVs as top performing models in recent years. But it had been a while since Sony updated the processing in their home theater projectors. The VPL-VW715ES features an all-new version of the X1 that is optimized for 4K/HDR projection.
These days, a processor's most important task is upscaling non-4K video, and Sony's Advanced Reality Creation feature analyzes content frame by frame to enhance detail, color, and texture. Drawing on the power of the X1 chip, the 'VW715ES excels at upscaling, whether you're watching 720p sports on ESPN® or a 1080p Blu-ray movie. And you can select the amount of enhancement to be applied to each video source.
Also thanks to the new X1 processor, the VPL-VW715ES offers a major advance in HDR picture quality.
A new tone-mapping solution improves HDR picture quality
While today's premium 4K TVs look great showing HDR content, most projectors make HDR look a bit dark or dull. That's due to projectors' limited brightness compared to TVs, as well as the fact that 4K content is mastered for viewing on a TV, not a projector.
The VPL-VW715ES is one of the first Sony projectors that can measure the average and peak brightness of HDR10 content frame by frame, for precise dynamic tone mapping. A new feature called Dynamic HDR Enhancer — also powered by the X1 processor — combines precision tone mapping with the dynamic iris to deliver a dramatic improvement in HDR reproduction.
At this point, there's lots of of HDR-encoded 4K movies and shows available from streaming services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video. Since the VPL-VW715ES has no built-in web apps, you'll need to connect a 4K media streamer to explore this great-looking content. Of course, for the large images this projector is designed for, the ultimate high-resolution source is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
Flexible setup for rooms large and small
The VPL-VW715ES features a powered zoom lens and powered lens shift for adjusting the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement. Out-of-the-box picture settings are so spot on that most people can simply select the "Reference" preset, sit back and enjoy a picture that's nearly as accurate as a professional calibration would produce.
But if you like to tweak, you can fine-tune brightness, contrast, and color to suit a wide range of rooms, screens, and video sources. And the Picture Position Memory can store up to five sets of lens settings, which is great for serious movie fans with masking screens.
For the best picture quality from this 4K projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- three 0.74" SXRD panels with Full Digital Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels each)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10 and HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness with HDR sources
- frame by frame HDR tone mapping
- Dynamic HDR Enhancer processes HDR content scene by scene, enhancing both brightness and black levels
- widescreen 16:9/17:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- recommended image size: 50" to 300"
- light output: 1800 ANSI lumens
- dynamic contrast ratio: 350,000:1
- Advanced Iris dynamic iris for outstanding picture contrast and black levels
- X1™ for projector video processor is optimized for projection and allows high-precision frame analysis
- Advanced Reality Creation upscaling sharpens HD video sources to near-4K quality
- TRILUMINOS™ technology for a wider color range
- 10-bit processing enables over one billion colors
- Motionflow™ frame interpolation for improved motion clarity on 4K and HD sources
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (Sony TDG-BT500A active 3D glasses sold separately)
- reduced input lag provides better video game performance
- 2.06X powered zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- Digital Focus Optimizer actively corrects and refines image quality so any content always looks tack-sharp
- Picture Position Memory lets you store focus, zoom, and lens shift settings for up to five screen formats
- 2 HDMI 2.0b inputs
- RJ-45 LAN port supports network monitoring and control protocols
- USB input for firmware updates
- 9-pin RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- two 3.5mm 12V trigger outputs for controlling a motorized screen, motorized shades, or other device
- 3.5mm IR input for use with an external IR receiver
- detachable power cord
- 280-watt UHP lamp (lasts up to 6000 hours in Eco mode)
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (26 dB)
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 19-1/2"W x 8-1/8"H x 18-1/4"D
- weight: 31 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # VPLVW715ES/W
What's in the box:
- 4K Video front projector
- 8' AC power cord
- Remote control (RM-PJ24)
- Two "AA" batteries
- Lens cap (installed)
- Operating Instructions on CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Manual
- Warranty Sheet
Sony VPL-VW715ES reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony VPL-VW715ES
Features & specs
|3D-Capable||Active (emitter built in)|
|Resolution (pixels)||4096 x 2160|
|Contrast Ratio||350,000:1 dynamic|
|Approximate Lamp Life||2000-6000|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||1800|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||No|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port|
Native 4K SXRD Panel: The advanced SXRDTM (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) panel technology featured in Sony's home theater projectors delivers native 4K-resolution (4096 x 2160) images with 8.8 million pixels for an incredibly lifelike picture. SXRD projection offers rich blacks as well as clear cinematic motion and image smoothness, and can reproduce vibrant colors with more tones and textures than a standard projector system. With 4096 x 2160 resolution and pixels one quarter the size of those from traditional 1080p projectors, the Sony 4K projector delivers smooth, lifelike images with fewer artifacts, even on home theater screens up to 300" in 2D (or 150" in 3D). Now you can sit closer to the action, while jagged edges and revealed pixels are eliminated.
Note: Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view 4K/HDR content.
Sony X1 Video Processor: The X1 for projector takes Sony's acclaimed BRAVIA TV video processing and optimizes it for projection. The X1 processor for projector is an innovative technology that uses advanced algorithms to cut noise and boost detail with high-precision frame analysis.This processor combines innovative technologies like the Dynamic HDR Enhancer, Super Resolution, and 4K Motionflow.
- Dynamic HDR Enhancer: The Dynamic HDR Enhancer powered by X1 for projector delivers the best contrast by processing HDR content scene by scene. It further enhances the contrast in combination with iris light-output control, which makes bright scenes brighter and dark scenes darker to deliver bright 4K HDR images
- Super-Resoolution Reality Creation: Sony's exclusive Reality Creation technology analyzes images right down to the pixel level. It then employs pattern-matching algorithms developed over years of movie production to enhance details without increasing digital picture noise. It also upscales existing Full HD Blu-ray Disc and DVD movies to near-4K quality.
- 4K Motionflow: The powerful video processor in the VPL-VW715ES offers Motionflow for smooth and clear motion, even when viewing 4K content. Motionflow is best for fast-moving sports content, as it adds frames to reduce blur while maintaining brightness. Cinema purists can choose True Theater mode to retain the original 24fps.
4K Aspherical Lens: The Sony VPL-VW715ES features a 4K projection lens that utilizes a large-diameter aspherical element for corner-to-corner sharpness. The 4K alpherical lens offers motorized zoom, digital focus, and lens shift.
- Motorized Zoom: Installing this projector in your room is easy with a 2.06x motorized zoom and a wide lens shift range.
- Digital Focus Optimizer: Optimum focus is achieved not only optically, but also digitally, with the Digital Focus Optimizer. By analyzing every pixel of the images with our own algorithm and detecting possible optical degradation in advance, the Digital Focus Optimizer performs optimum image quality correction so that the focus is better than ever, even in the corners
- Lens Shift: Adjust the position of the projector by up to 85% vertically and 31% horizontally using lossless optical adjustments, to get just the right angle for your movies.
Note: Store focus, zoom, and lens shift settings for up to five screen formats for easy recall. Picture Position Memories store key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16:9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector.
Screen Size & Throw Distance: Installing the VPL-VW715ES is easy with its motorized lens and wide throw distance range. The 2.06x powered zoom lens, digital focus optimizer, and a wide lens shift range provide further installation flexibility and remarkable performance in nearly every screening room. The Sony VPL-VW715ES video projector can produce a 4K image that is adjustable between 60" and 300". The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities for a given screen size.
|Screen Size||Throw Distance|
|80"||91" - 187"|
|100"||115" - 235"|
|120"||138" - 282"|
|150"||173" - 353"|
|200"||231" - 472"|
Note: Check out Sony's Projection Simulator App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to help you choose the right screen size for your preferred viewing distance and projector location, plus get other helpful installation tips.
High Brightness (1,800 Lumens) & Dynamice Contrast (3500,000:1): A 280 W ultra-high pressure lamp generates the brightness required for vibrant images on screens up to 300" (762 cm) diagonally. You can enjoy up to 6,000 hours of viewing time (in low mode) from a long-lasting mercury lamp. A dynamic contrast of 350,000:1 makes every scene spring to life with fine detail and realism. The powerful video processor is combined with lens iris control to achieve both deep, inky blacks and vibrant color.
Dual HDMI 2.0b Inputs (HDCP 2.2 Compatible): The Sony VPL-VW715ES is outfitted with two HDCP 2.2 compliant HDMI 2.0b inputs to connect your high-definition and ultra-high definition sources; such as Ultra HD Blu-ray/Blu-ray player, Satellite/Cable receiver, game system, or AV receiver. In addition, the HDMI inputs can be used to connect a PC to this projector. The HDMI inputs will accept 4K/60Hz (4:4:4; BT.2020), 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported only by the projector's HDMI 1 & 2 inputs. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All HDMI 2.0b inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTV and early generation 4K Ultra HDTV covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: The projector does not offer any analog video inputs.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): Get the most from today's UHD Blu-ray discs and streaming services with HDR (High Dynamic Range). HDR video offers an expanded brightness range that delivers more realistic high-contrast images and brilliant color. Compatible with both HDR10 and HLG (Hybrid Log-Gamma) formats, Sony's home cinema projectors reproduce color and contrast that's faithful to the creators' intent.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the projector that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HLG: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
Note: This projector does not support Dolby Vision or other HDR formats not listed above.
Color Technologies: The Sony VPL-VW715ES incorporates Triluminos Color, Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020), Deep Color, & x.v.Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: Discover true-to-life colors and tones with Triluminos color technology. The VPL-VW715ES incorporates Triluminos color, reproducing more tones and textures than a standard projector system. Hard-to-reproduce crimson reds, aqua blues, and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces also look better with skin tones more faithfully reproduced.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- Deep Color: The projector also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
- x.v.Color: The 4K projector also supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
3D Ready: The VPL-VW715ES has a built-in 3D transmitter that supports 3D video in a variety of formats, and can even simulate your 2D movie classics to high-quality 3D immersive video. The optional glasses (TDG-BT500A, sold separately) use an industry-standard RF connection, making it easy to upgrade to a 3D theater experience.
- 3D Adjustment: You can adjust the depth of the 3D image to your personal preference, as well as set the image brightness when using the 3D display mode.
- 2D-to-3D Conversion: To ensure that you can enjoy 3D any time you want, Sony has incorporated 2D-to-3D conversion, which allows you to watch your favorite 2D movies, TV programs, or games in virtual 3D.
Gaming Mode: Reduced input lag creates a better response time between control input and on-screen action, making video games perform better than ever before. Immerse yourself in your favorite games and beat your opponent to the punch
Picture Calibration: Quickly calibrate your picture to the type of content you're enjoying with a variety of adjustments.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select an aspect ratio best suited for the video signal received. Choose from the following -
- 1.85:1 Zoom: a 1.85:1 aspect ratio picture is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged so that black bands do not appear at the top and bottom of the screen
- 2.35:1 Zoom: a 2.35:1 aspect ratio picture is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged so that black bands at the top and bottom of the screen are as small as possible
- Normal: input video is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged to fill the screen; this mode is suitable for viewing 1.78:1 (16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) video
- Stretch: displays video that has been squeezed to 1.33:1 (4:3) as 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio
- V Stretch: this is the most suitable mode for using a 2.35:1 screen to view 2.35:1 video with a commercially available anamorphic lens
- Squeeze: with this setting, 1.78:1 (16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) video will be displayed in their correct aspect ratios when you use a commercially available anamorphic lens
- Picture View Mode: You can select the picture viewing mode that best suits the type of video source or room
conditions. You can save and use different preset modes for 2D/3D respectively.
- Cinema Film 1: picture quality suited to reproducing the highly dynamic and clear images typical of master positive film
- Cinema Film 2: picture quality suited to reproducing the rich tone and color typical of a movie theater
- Reference: picture quality setup suitable for when you want to reproduce faithfully the original image quality, or for enjoying image quality, without any adjustment
- TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, etc
- Photo: ideal for projecting still images taken with a digital camera
- Game: picture quality suited to gaming, with well-modulated colors and fast response
- Bright Cinema: picture quality suited for watching movies in a bright environment, such
as a living room
- Bright TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, and other video images in a bright environment, such as a living room
- User: adjust the picture quality settings manually to suit your taste then saves the setting; adjust brightness, color, hue, color temperature, sharpness, and noise reduction
- Picture Quality: You can easily adjust the picture quality that suits your taste by selecting the adjustment.
items with the remote control. The adjusted data can be stored in each calibrated preset.
- Reality Creation: adjusts the detail and noise processing of images; the texture and detail of the picture become sharper. while the noise (picture roughness) becomes less prominent
- Cinema Black Pro: increase the brightness in order to project brighter images or decrease the brightness in order to enhance blacks
- Clear White: emphasizes vivid whites
- Color Space: converts the color space best suited for your video content
- Color Correction: Adjusts Hue, Saturation or Brightness of the selected color - Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, and Magenta
- Contrast Enhancer: corrects the level of bright and dark parts automatically to optimize contrast according to a scene
- Smooth Gradation: smoothes the gradation of the flat parts of images
- Gamma Correction: adjusts the response characteristics of the tone of the picture
- MPEG Noise Reduction: reduces block noise and mosquito noise, in particular in digital signals
- Input Lag Reduction: reduces the delay of the display for a video
Remote Control: The Sony VPL-VW715ES comes with an IR remote control for wireless operation of the projector. It also offers offers custom integration remote inputs and outputs - including an IR remote input, dual 12V triggers, RS-232 port, and LAN jack for custom installations and applications.
- IR Input: The video projector has a 3.5mm minijack input for use with an external IR receiver (sold separately).
- 12V Triggers: Use the 12-volt triggers outputs (3.5mm) to trigger on a motorized screen and other components.
- RS-232C Port: Seamlessly integrate the VPL-VW715ES into virtually any major automation system via the bi-directional, industry-standard RS-232C connection.
- RJ-45: The RJ-45 (LAN) port supports network monitoring and control protocols (SDAP, SDCP, DDDP).
Mounting Options: The VPL-VW715ES can be placed on a table top or ceiling mounted (mounting bracket sold separately). The projector has two adjustable rubber feet to angle the unit when projecting from a table. There are three 5mm threaded inserts that allow you to use a projector ceiling mount (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to mount the unit from your ceiling.
Whisper-Quiet Fan: Due to the VPL-VW715ES advanced air discharge system, Sony's whisper-quiet fan emits only 26db during show. time. Plus, having a front air intake and exhaust allows the VPL-VW715ES to be positioned near a wall without having to worry about cooling issues.
Power Saving Modes: If no signal is input for 10 minutes, power is turned off automatically and the projector goes into standby mode.
USB Port (Software Updates Only): You can download files to update the software of the unit from Sony's Online Support Site. Simply copy the downloaded files to a USB thumbdrive, then insert the USB thumbdrive into the USB port of the projector and perform the update.
Warranty: The projector is covered by a 3-year parts and labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days.