About the Sony VPL-VW995ES
Ultra-pure laser light delivers ultra-crisp images
Ultra-pure laser light delivers ultra-crisp images
The VPL-VW995ES is Sony's second-generation laser projector designed for home theaters. Advantages of a laser light source include extraordinary light purity, plus cool, efficient operation, and no lamp to replace. This projector addresses two limitations of its predecessor, the VPL-VW885ES. It provides greater light control, and upgrades the lens to Sony's super high-resolution ARC-F lens.
This is a true 4K projector. When I say "true," I mean that the 'VW995ES's picture has a full 8.8 million pixels, to accurately reveal the tiniest details and subtlest textures in 4K sources. By comparison, pixel-shifting "4K-compatible" models typically have around 4 million pixels. Full 4K creates that "looking-through-a-window" sense of depth and realism.
Closing the gap between movie theater and home theater
Before our sales advisors begin working with customers, they devote several weeks to classroom study and hands-on time with A/V gear. But there are also some fun field trips, and I got to tag along with a group of trainees on a fascinating behind-the-scenes tour of the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema here in Charlottesville.
Tech-wise, the heart of the multiplex is a large second-floor hallway where the projectors live — all Sony 4K models. The VPL-VW995ES is based on the same 4K Digital Cinema SXRD™ technology used in Sony's professional projectors. But even Sony's cinema projectors haven't made the switch to laser yet.
Sony's powerful Hollywood-honed video processing
The VPL-VW995ES's Advanced Reality Creation video processing is based on Sony's years of experience upscaling movies to 4K in thousands of theaters worldwide. You can select the amount of processing to be applied to each video source. The improvement is easily visible on everything from Blu-ray discs to streamed Netflix® movies to satellite or cable TV feeds.
HDR adds realism to every pixel
HDR (High Dynamic Range) expands the projector's picture contrast range when you watch HDR-enhanced content. You'll notice deeper blacks and brighter highlights, and colors have more pop, too. The VPL-VW995ES's laser light source and dual-level light control can deliver truly spectacular HDR effects.
Light is controlled in two ways to maximize contrast without losing subtleties like shadow detail. Dynamic Laser Control adjusts the output of the laser on the fly, while the mechanical Advanced Iris simultaneously fine-tunes light output on a scene-by-scene basis.
There's lots of of HDR-encoded 4K movies and shows available from streaming services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video. Since the VPL-VW995ES has no built-in web apps, you'll need to connect a 4K media streamer to explore this great-looking content. Of course, for the large images of projector systems, the ultimate high-resolution source is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
Flexible setup for rooms large and small
With large, heavy, expensive projectors like this one, many customers will opt for professional installation, but Sony did design the VPL-VW995ES to be fairly easy to install and set up. It features a powered zoom lens and powered lens shift for adjusting the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement. Sony recommends a maximum screen size of 300", but you'll also get amazing results with screens sized 100" or less.
Out-of-the-box picture settings are so spot on, you'll be tempted to leave them as-is. But if you like to tweak, you can fine-tune brightness, contrast, and color to suit a wide range of rooms, screens, and video sources.
For the best picture quality from this 4K projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- Z-Phosphor™ laser light source delivers ultra-pure light with zero maintenance
- three 0.74" SXRD panels with Full Digital Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels each)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10 and HLG) for extremely wide contrast and high brightness levels with HDR content
- widescreen 16:9/17:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- 4K All-Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens minimizes distortion and ensures high precision and detail in all corners of the image
- 18-piece all-glass design features extra-low dispersion glass
- recommended image size: 60" to 300"
- light output: 2200 ANSI lumens
- independently adjustable Dynamic Laser Control and Advanced Iris optimize light output for deep blacks and bright highlights
- Advanced Reality Creation upscaling sharpens high-definition video sources to near-4K quality
- TRILUMINOS™ technology for a wider color range
- 4K Motionflow™ frame interpolation for improved motion clarity even on 4K sources
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced 4K/HDR content (via future firmware update)
- auto calibration uses a built-in color sensor to maintain color accuracy
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (Sony TDG-BT500A active 3D glasses sold separately)
- Gaming Mode reduces input lag for better video game performance
- 2.06X powered zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- Digital Focus Optimizer actively corrects and refines image quality so any content always looks tack-sharp
- Picture Position Memory lets you store focus, zoom, and lens shift settings for up to five screen formats
- 2 HDMI 2.0b inputs
- RJ-45 LAN port supports network monitoring and control protocols
- USB input for firmware updates
- 9-pin RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- two 3.5mm 12V trigger outputs for controlling a motorized screen, motorized shades, or other device
- 3.5mm IR input for use with an external IR receiver
- detachable power cord
- laser diode light source lasts up to 20,000 hours
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (24 dB)
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 22-1/16"W x 8-15/16"H x 19-9/16"D
- weight: 49 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # VPLVW995ES
What's in the box:
- 4K Video front projector
- 8' AC power cord
- Remote control (RM-PJ24)
- Two "AA" batteries
- Lens cap (installed)
- Operating Instructions on CD-ROM
- Quick Reference Manual
- Warranty Sheet
Sony VPL-VW995ES reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony VPL-VW995ES
Features & specs
|3D-Capable||Active (emitter built in)|
|Resolution (pixels)||4096 x 2160|
|Approximate Lamp Life||20,000|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||2200|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||No|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port|
Laser Light Source with 4K SXRD Panel: The Sony VPL-VW995ES home projector combines an advanced Z-Phosphor laser light source with Sony's 4K SXRD panel technology to give you stunning 4K HDR laser clarity with 2,000 lumens, infinite contrast ratio, rich cinematic colors, smooth motion, and dazzling brightness.
- High Efficient Z-Phosphor Laser Light Source: The VPL-VW995ES's ultra-pure, reliable Sony-developed Z-Phosphor laser light source lets you enjoy perfectly clear 4K pictures with the right brightness level for a very long time. With its Z-Phosphor laser light source, the light output power is automatically adjusted depending on the brightness of a scene in content for high dynamic infinite contrast. With an impressive 2,200 lumens brightness and a spectacularly high contrast range, 4K images are clear and bright with sparkling highlights and rich, deep blacks. The ultra-pure, highly efficient laser light source provides long lasting brightness releasing you from the worries of brightness decay typical of lamps. In addition to long lasting brightness, you'll enjoy reduced operating costs compared with conventional projection systems, plus less worry of lamp failure half way through a show. The ultra-pure, highly efficient laser light source provides gives you years of illumination with a 20,000 hour lamp.
- Advanced SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display): The advanced Silicon X-tal Reflective Display (SXRD) panel technology featured in our digital theater projectors delivers native 4K (4096 x 2160) resolution images, with more than four times the detail of Full HD. Fine details are wonderfully clear and natural, without jagged edges or visible pixels. This latest SXRD panel delivers even better contrast, as well as native 4K resolution. With SXRD projection, you'll see rich, inky blacks, clear cinematic motion and smooth images. Improvements to the reflective silicon layer now mean even better light control, for precisely delivered shadows and blacks.
Sony X1 Video Processor: The X1 for projector takes Sony's acclaimed BRAVIA TV video processing and optimizes it for projection. The X1 processor for projector is an innovative technology that uses advanced algorithms to cut noise and boost detail with high-precision frame analysis.This processor combines innovative technologies like the Dynamic HDR Enhancer, Super Resolution, and 4K Motionflow.
- Dynamic HDR Enhancer: The Dynamic HDR Enhancer powered by X1 for projector delivers the best contrast by processing HDR content scene by scene. It further enhances the contrast in combination with iris light-output control, which makes bright scenes brighter and dark scenes darker to deliver bright 4K HDR images
- Super-Resoolution Reality Creation: Sony's exclusive Reality Creation technology analyzes images right down to the pixel level. It then employs pattern-matching algorithms developed over years of movie production to enhance details without increasing digital picture noise. It also upscales existing Full HD Blu-ray Disc and DVD movies to near-4K quality.
- 4K Motionflow: The powerful video processor in the VPL-VW715ES offers Motionflow for smooth and clear motion, even when viewing 4K content. Motionflow is best for fast-moving sports content, as it adds frames to reduce blur while maintaining brightness. Cinema purists can choose True Theater mode to retain the original 24fps.
Full Digital Cinema 4K: With more than 4x the resolution of Full HD, native 4K offers 8.8 million pixels (4096 x 2160) for a picture that's so incredibly lifelike, it's like looking at the real thing. Sony's VPL-VW995ES SXRD 4K video projector offers Full Digital Cinema Initiative (DCI)-based 4096 x 2160 resolution, delivering a cinematic 4K experience in your home. With 4096 x 2160 resolution and pixels one quarter the size of those from traditional 1080p projectors, the Sony 4K projector delivers smooth, lifelike images with fewer artifacts, even on home theater screens up to 300" in 2D (or 150" in 3D). Now you can sit closer to the action, while jagged edges and revealed pixels are eliminated. It also provides 4K Upscaling for non-UHD source and supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) video.
- 4K Reality Creation Upscaling: Sony's exclusive Reality Creation technology analyzes images right down to the pixel level. It then employs pattern-matching algorithms developed over years of movie production to enhance crispness even without increasing digital picture noise. It also upscales existing full HD Blu-ray DiscTM and DVD movies to near 4K quality. Dramatically improving your viewing experience, the projector's Reality Creation engine for 4K upscaling enhances both the "Mastered in 4K" Blu-ray Discs and high definition 1080p content including 3D video. Now you can watch all your favorite HD movies and television shows in 4K (3840 x 2160).
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): The VPL-VW995ES lets you take full advantage of the latest content produced with HDR (High Dynamic
Range) for extremely wide contrast range with an even higher range of brightness
levels and volume of colors. The Sony projector's HDMI
2.0b inputs support HDR (High Dynamic Range) content; including HDR10, HDR Refrence, and
HLG. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness
levels, bringing greater contrast to the screen. This increased contrast
reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to
the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR10: HDR10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It supports 10-bit color and 1,000 nits. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and the projector that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- HDR Reference (available firmware update): HDR Reference provides even brighter and richer video images with greater contrast and color for HDR 10 content.
- HLG: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
Dual HDMI 2.0b Inputs: The Sony VPL-VW995ES is fitted with two HDMI 2.0b inputs to connect your high-definition and ultra-high definition sources; such as Blu-ray/DVD player, Satellite/Cable receiver, game system, or AV receiver. In addition, the HDMI inputs can be used to connect a PC to this projector.
- Supported Video Resolution: The HDMI inputs will accept 4K/60Hz, 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p, and 480i signals.
- HDCP 2.2 Compatible (HDMI Input 2 Only): HDCP 2.2 is supported only by the projector's HDMI 2 input. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with 4K Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
Note: The projector does not offer any analog video inputs.
Color Technologies: The Sony VPL-VW995ES incorporates Triluminos Color, 4:4:4 Color Subsampling, Wide Color Gamut (BT.20.20), Deep Color, and x.v.Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- TRILUMINOS Display: The VPL-VW995ES incorporates TRILUMINOS Display color, reproducing more tones and textures than a standard projector system. Hard-to-reproduce crimson reds, aqua blues, and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better, too, with skin tones more faithfully reproduced. As a result, you'll discover true-to-life colors and tones.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: All HDMI 2.0b inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTV and early generation 4K Ultra HDTV covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
- Deep Color: The projector also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
- x.v.Color: The 4K projector also supports x.v.Color, offering a wider color range than the current broadcast standard. For the x.v.Color feature to be useful, the entire video production chain must be compatible (camera-editing-format-player-display).
High Brightness & Infinite Contrast with Dual Contrast Control Engine: With its laser light source and real-time laser light control, the light output power is automatically adjusted depending on the brightness of a scene in content for high dynamic infinite contrast. The Sony VPL-VW995ES video projector outputs 2,000 lumens of white light and 2,200 lumens of color light (ANSI rating) for a bright and dynamic picture. In adition to dynamically-controlled laser output, an Advanced Iris with Dual Contrast Control (requires available firmware update) is also incroproated. Both the irsis control and laser can be adjusted independently, and dynamically, to optimize light output for both dark and bright well-lit scenes. The result is deeper black s, as well as bright, bibrant colors when needed.
ARC-F Lens with Digital Focus Optimizer: For pristine image quality across the entire screen, the VPL-VW995ES features an All-Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens. This large-aperture lens adopts an all-glass design for its 18 elements, including six extra low-dispersion (ELD) elements. This ensures optimal convergence of the red, green and blue primaries even at the extreme edges of the image for a clear and vivid image wherever you look. Optimum focus is achieved, not only optically, but also digitally, by the Digital Focus Optimizer. It compensates in advance from the possible optical degratdation of the lens, then outputs the optimum correcte images, so that even the fouc in the corners is better. The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities for a given screen size. The Sony VPL-VW995ES video projector can produce a 4K image that is adjustable between 60" and 300".
|Screen Size (16:9 Format)||Throw Distance|
|100"||117" - 254"|
|120"||141" - 305"|
|150"||176" - 383"|
|200"||236" - 511"|
Note: Check out Sony's Projection Simulator App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) to help you choose the right screen size for your preferred viewing distance and projector location, plus get other helpful installation tips.
Installation Adjustments: During the initial setup, or subsequent adjustment, these features help optimize performance and offer placement flexibility.
- Lens Shift: Lens Shift lets you raise, lower, or reposition the projected image without changing the angle relationship between the projector and the screen. It also reduces the need to physically move the projector horizontally or vertically to fit the image within the borders of the screen. This projector has a vertical lens shift of +/-80% and a horizontal lens shift of +/-31%.
- Image Flip: Flips the image vertically or horizontally.
- Blanking: Allows you to adjust the displayable region within the four directions of the screen.
- Panel Alignment: This feature allows you to adjust the gaps in the color of characters or the picture.
Note: Sony does not offer Keystone correction for this projector because it degrades the image. When applying the digital process of keystone correction to an image it uses compression and scaling to manipulate the shape of the projected image so the number of individual pixels used is reduced, lowering the resolution and thus degrading the quality of the image projected.
Auto Calibration & Picture Position Memory: Over time, the aging of components like the lamp make changes to the look on the screen. A built in RGB sensor and software allow you to quickly adjust your picture to the way it looked when first installed. You can also store lens, zoom, and shift settings for up to five screen formats for easy recall. Picture Position Memory remembers key settings so you can quickly watch movies in the ideal format. Match aspect ratios, including 16:9 and Cinemascope, and store these settings in the projector.
Motionflow XR & True Cinema 24p: Whatever you're watching, you'll enjoy a silk-smooth on-screen look in fast-moving action sequences with Motionflow XR. This innovative technology creates and inserts extra frames between the original frames by first comparing key visual factors on successive frames, then calculating the split second of missing action in the sequences. True Cinema 24p mode mimics true movie projection for cinema purists.
IMAXED Enhanced: Sony 4K projectors are compatible with IMAX Enhanced content, making them ready to deliver the bigger, more breathtaking IMAX visuals you love in compatible content. Take advantage of the size of your projector screen with movies that become even more immersive with IMAX Enhanced.
Picture Calibration: Quickly calibrate your picture to the type of content you're enjoying with a variety of adjustments. Thanks to an available firmware update, certain adjustments and settings can be applied to SDR and HDR content.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select an aspect ratio best
suited for the video signal received. Choose from the following:
- 1.85:1 Zoom: a 1.85:1 aspect ratio picture is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged so that black bands do not appear at the top and bottom of the screen
- 2.35:1 Zoom: a 2.35:1 aspect ratio picture is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged so that black bands at the top and bottom of the screen are as small as possible
- Normal: input video is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged to fill the screen; this mode is suitable for viewing 1.78:1 (16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) video
- Stretch: displays video that has been squeezed to 1.33:1 (4:3) as 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio
- H Strech (requires available firmware update): stretches a 16:9 image into 2.35:1 linearly, so the full-screen is utilized
- V Stretch: this is the most suitable mode for using a 2.35:1 screen to view 2.35:1 video with a commercially available anamorphic lens
- Squeeze: with this setting, 1.78:1 (16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) video will be displayed in their correct aspect ratios when you use a commercially available anamorphic lens
- Picture View Mode: You can select the picture viewing
mode that best suits the type of video source or room conditions.
- Cinema Film 1: picture quality suited to reproducing the highly dynamic and clear images typical of master positive film
- Cinema Film 2: picture quality suited to reproducing the rich tone and color typical of a movie theater
- Reference: picture quality setup suitable for when you want to reproduce faithfully the original image quality, or for enjoying image quality, without any adjustment
- TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, etc
- Photo: ideal for projecting still images taken with a digital camera
- Game: picture quality suited to gaming, with well-modulated colors and fast response
- Bright Cinema: picture quality suited for watching
movies in a bright environment, such
as a living room
- Bright TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, and other video images in a bright environment, such as a living room
- User: adjust the picture quality settings manually to suit your taste then saves the setting; adjust brightness, color, hue, color temperature, sharpness, and noise reduction
- Picture Quality: You can easily adjust the picture
quality that suits your taste by selecting the adjustment.
- HSV: an advanced HSV (Hue Saturation Value) color tuning tool gives you even more control over the color tones
- Reality Creation: adjusts the detail and noise processing of images; the texture and detail of the picture become sharper. while the noise (picture roughness) becomes less prominent
- Cinema Black Pro: increase the brightness in order to project brighter images or decrease the brightness in order to enhance blacks
- Clear White: emphasizes vivid whites
- Color Space: converts the color space best suited for your video content
- Color Correction: Adjusts Hue, Saturation or Brightness of the selected color - Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, and Magenta
- Contrast Enhancer: corrects the level of bright and dark parts automatically to optimize contrast according to a scene
- Smooth Gradation: smoothes the gradation of the flat parts of images
- Gamma Correction: adjusts the response characteristics of the tone of the picture
- MPEG Noise Reduction: reduces block noise and mosquito noise, in particular in digital signals
- Input Lag Reduction: reduces the delay of the display for a video
Active 3D Technology: The Sony VPL-VW995ES gives you the option to enjoy 3D (three-dimensional) pictures and graphics. You can enjoy an immersive, realistic movie and gaming experience in Ultra-HD 4K using Sony's active 3D glasses (TDG-BT500A, sold separately). Enjoy 3D content from your HDMI connected Blu-ray player, satellite receiver, or gaming console (all sold separately). When using the active shutter glasses, the on-screen image is precisely synchronized and delivered with the full high-definition image intact, for an optimum 3D viewing experience. Sony's 3D technology displays high speed synchronized left- and right-eye images to deliver an amazing 3D experience. And since each frame you see is shown in high-definition, the 3D action still offers razor-sharp detail. You can adjust the following 3D settings.
- 3D Adjustment: You can adjust the depth of the 3D image to your personal preference, as well as set the image brightness when using the 3D display mode.
- 2D-to-3D Conversion: To ensure that you can enjoy 3D any time you want, Sony has incorporated 2D-to-3D conversion, which allows you to watch your favorite 2D movies, TV programs, or games in virtual 3D.
Remote Control: The supplied IR remote allows you to wirelessly control many of the projector's functions. The Sony VPL-VW995ES also features an IR remote input, dual 12V triggers, RS-232 port, and LAN jack for custom installations and applications.
- IR Input: The video projector has a 3.5mm minijack input for use with an external IR receiver (sold separately).
- 12V Triggers: Use the 12-volt triggers outputs (3.5mm) to trigger on a motorized screen and other components.
- RS-232C Port: Seamlessly integrate the VPL-VW995ES into virtually any major automation system via the bi-directional, industry-standard RS-232C connection.
- RJ-45: The RJ-45 (LAN) port supports network monitoring and control protocols (SDAP, SDCP, DDDP).
Mounting Options: The VPL-VW995ES can be placed on a table top or ceiling mounted (mounting bracket sold separately). The projector has two adjustable rubber feet to angle the unit when projecting from a table. There are three 5mm threaded inserts that allow you to use a projector ceiling mount (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to mount the unit from your ceiling.
Whisper-Quiet Fan: Due to the VPL-VW995ES advanced air discharge system, Sony's whisper-quiet fan emits only 24db during show. time. Plus, having a front air intake and exhaust allows the VPL-VW995ES to be positioned near a wall without having to worry about cooling issues.
Power Saving Modes: If no signal is input for 10 minutes, power is turned off automatically and the projector goes into standby mode.
USB Port (Software Updates Only): You can download files to update the software of the unit from Sony's Online Support Site. Simply copy the downloaded files to a USB thumbdrive, then insert the USB thumbdrive into the USB port of the projector and perform the update.
Warranty: The projector is covered by a 3-year parts and labor warranty, while the lamp is covered for 90 days.