About the Sony VPL-VW995ES
Ultra-pure laser light delivers ultra-crisp images
Ultra-pure laser light delivers ultra-crisp images
The VPL-VW995ES is Sony's second-generation laser projector designed for home theaters. Advantages of a laser light source include extraordinary light purity, plus cool, efficient operation, and no lamp to replace. This projector addresses two limitations of its predecessor, the VPL-VW885ES. It provides greater light control, and upgrades the lens to Sony's super high-resolution ARC-F lens.
This is a true 4K projector. When I say "true," I mean that the 'VW995ES's picture has a full 8.8 million pixels, to accurately reveal the tiniest details and subtlest textures in 4K sources. By comparison, pixel-shifting "4K-compatible" models typically have around 4 million pixels. Full 4K creates that "looking-through-a-window" sense of depth and realism.
Closing the gap between movie theater and home theater
Before our sales advisors begin working with customers, they devote several weeks to classroom study and hands-on time with A/V gear. But there are also some fun field trips, and I got to tag along with a group of trainees on a fascinating behind-the-scenes tour of the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema here in Charlottesville.
Tech-wise, the heart of the multiplex is a large second-floor hallway where the projectors live — all Sony 4K models. The VPL-VW995ES is based on the same 4K Digital Cinema SXRD™ technology used in Sony's professional projectors. But even Sony's cinema projectors haven't made the switch to laser yet.
Sony's powerful Hollywood-honed video processing
The VPL-VW995ES's Advanced Reality Creation video processing is based on Sony's years of experience upscaling movies to 4K in thousands of theaters worldwide. You can select the amount of processing to be applied to each video source. The improvement is easily visible on everything from Blu-ray discs to streamed Netflix® movies to satellite or cable TV feeds.
HDR adds realism to every pixel
HDR (High Dynamic Range) expands the projector's picture contrast range when you watch HDR-enhanced content. You'll notice deeper blacks and brighter highlights, and colors have more pop, too. The VPL-VW995ES's laser light source and dual-level light control can deliver truly spectacular HDR effects.
Light is controlled in two ways to maximize contrast without losing subtleties like shadow detail. Dynamic Laser Control adjusts the output of the laser on the fly, while the mechanical Advanced Iris simultaneously fine-tunes light output on a scene-by-scene basis.
There's lots of of HDR-encoded 4K movies and shows available from streaming services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video. Since the VPL-VW995ES has no built-in web apps, you'll need to connect a 4K media streamer to explore this great-looking content. Of course, for the large images of projector systems, the ultimate high-resolution source is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
Flexible setup for rooms large and small
With large, heavy, expensive projectors like this one, many customers will opt for professional installation, but Sony did design the VPL-VW995ES to be fairly easy to install and set up. It features a powered zoom lens and powered lens shift for adjusting the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement. Sony recommends a maximum screen size of 300", but you'll also get amazing results with screens sized 100" or less.
Out-of-the-box picture settings are so spot on, you'll be tempted to leave them as-is. But if you like to tweak, you can fine-tune brightness, contrast, and color to suit a wide range of rooms, screens, and video sources.
For the best picture quality from this 4K projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- Z-Phosphor™ laser light source delivers ultra-pure light with zero maintenance
- three 0.74" SXRD panels with Full Digital Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels each)
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10 and HLG) for extremely wide contrast and high brightness levels with HDR content
- widescreen 16:9/17:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- 4K All-Range Crisp Focus (ARC-F) lens minimizes distortion and ensures high precision and detail in all corners of the image
- 18-piece all-glass design features extra-low dispersion glass
- recommended image size: 60" to 300"
- light output: 2200 ANSI lumens
- independently adjustable Dynamic Laser Control and Advanced Iris optimize light output for deep blacks and bright highlights
- Advanced Reality Creation upscaling sharpens high-definition video sources to near-4K quality
- TRILUMINOS™ technology for a wider color range
- 4K Motionflow™ frame interpolation for improved motion clarity even on 4K sources
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced 4K/HDR content (via future firmware update)
- auto calibration uses a built-in color sensor to maintain color accuracy
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (Sony TDG-BT500A active 3D glasses sold separately)
- Gaming Mode reduces input lag for better video game performance
- 2.06X powered zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- Digital Focus Optimizer actively corrects and refines image quality so any content always looks tack-sharp
- Picture Position Memory lets you store focus, zoom, and lens shift settings for up to five screen formats
- 2 HDMI 2.0b inputs
- RJ-45 LAN port supports network monitoring and control protocols
- USB input for firmware updates
- 9-pin RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- two 3.5mm 12V trigger outputs for controlling a motorized screen, motorized shades, or other device
- 3.5mm IR input for use with an external IR receiver
- detachable power cord
- laser diode light source lasts up to 20,000 hours
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (24 dB)
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 22-1/16"W x 8-15/16"H x 19-9/16"D
- weight: 49 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- MFR # VPLVW995ES
Sony VPL-VW995ES reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony VPL-VW995ES
Features & specs
|3D-Capable||Active (emitter built in)|
|Resolution (pixels)||4096 x 2160|
|Approximate Lamp Life||20,000|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||2200|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||No|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port|