About the Sony VPL-XW7000ES
A big, bright 4K picture
A big, bright 4K picture
If you want to create a truly theater-like experience at home, Sony's VPL-XW7000ES is an excellent option. Its premium Advanced Crisp-Focused (ACF) lens widens the focus area to deliver a crisp, clear image from corner to corner. And this projector is a full 60% brighter than its predecessor with a long-lasting laser light source that puts out 3,200 lumens. It's also smaller and lighter than prior generations of Sony Native 4K projectors thanks to the new 0.61-inch SXRD™ panels and compact Wide Dynamic Range Optics.
Sony processing — optimized for projection
Sony's powerful X1™ series of video processors has helped establish their 4K LED and OLED TVs as top-performing models in recent years. The VPL-XW7000ES uses a version of the X1 that is optimized for 4K/HDR projection. Its object-based Super Resolution technology detects individual objects in a picture and enhances each one for exceptional accuracy and detail.
The X1 Ultimate processor also uses two powerful image databases that work together to improve picture quality in real time — one helps reduce on-screen noise, while the other is used to upscale the resolution.
Excellent HDR picture quality
While today's premium 4K TVs look great showing HDR content, some projectors can make HDR look a bit dark or dull. That's due to projectors' limited brightness compared to TVs, as well as the fact that 4K content is mastered for viewing on a TV, not a projector.
The VPL-XW7000ES has a few features — powered by the X1 Ultimate processor — that improve its HDR reproduction. Dynamic HDR Enhancer combines detailed tone mapping with precise control of the ultra-bright laser light source to deliver bright HDR images without losing shadow detail. And its object-based HDR Remaster analyses the color of individual objects on-screen and adjusts the contrast for a more realistic picture with greater depth and texture.
The newly developed Live Color Enhancer selectively expands the color gamut, for vivid HDR images without unnatural oversaturation. That means skin tones are more realistic even in vibrant, colorful scenes.
Banish blur with Motionflow™
The larger the image, the more challenging it is to maintain a smooth, clear picture during fast-paced on-screen action. The VPL-XW7000ES uses Sony's Motionflow — one of the most sophisticated and refined blur-reduction technologies available.
Want to upsize your screen real estate for more immersive gaming? The VPL-XW7000ES supports 4K at 60Hz with an input lag under 21ms. Or opt for 2K at 120Hz for an even quicker response time of less than 13ms.
Sony designed the VPL-XW7000ES to be fairly easy to install and set up. It features a powered zoom lens and powered lens shift for adjusting the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement.
It also has a 3-setting Picture Position Memory that makes it easy to watch movies in the ideal aspect ratio, including Cinemascope, without an anamorphic lens. But it is compatible with anamorphic lenses if you have one you'd like to use. Its V-stretch function lets you watch content — even 4K content — in your favorite formats.
For the best picture quality from this 4K projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- three 0.61" SXRD panels with 4K resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels each)
- Z-Phosphor™ laser light source delivers ultra-pure light with zero maintenance for years
- 70mm aspherical Advanced Crisp-Focused (ACF) lens widens the focus area, ensuring clear images from corner to corner
- floating focus system uses two moving lens groups and extra-low dispersion glass for distortion-free images with accurate color reproduction
- High Dynamic Range (HDR10, HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness with HDR sources
- widescreen 16:9 aspect ratio
- recommended image size: 60" to 300"
- throw ratio: 1.35:1 to 2.84:1
- light output: 3,200 ANSI lumens
- X1 Ultimate video processor enables Dynamic HDR Enhancer and Super Resolution
- dual database processing reduces noise and improves upscaling
- Digital Focus Optimizer corrects the image quality so that the focus is better than ever, even in the corners
- TRILUMINOS™ technology for a wider color range
- covers 95% of the DCI-P3 space
- Live Color Enhancer expands the color gamut for vivid HDR without oversaturation
- Motionflow frame interpolation for improved motion clarity on 4K and HD sources
- IMAX Enhanced certification for improved performance with IMAX Enhanced 4K/HDR content
- Gaming Mode reduces input lag for better video game performance
- supports 4K at 60Hz with an input lag under 21ms
- supports 2K at 120Hz with an input lag under 13ms
- lens shift: horizontal +/-36% and vertical +/-85%
- Picture Position Memory makes it easy to watch movies in the ideal aspect ratio, including Cinemascope, without an anamorphic lens
- 2 HDMI 2.1 inputs
- both inputs are HDCP 2.3 compatible for connecting to a 4K video source
- to view 4K and HDR content from connected sources, use a compatible high-bandwidth HDMI cable
- RJ-45 LAN port supports network monitoring and control protocols
- USB Type-A input for firmware updates
- 9-pin RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- 3.5mm 12V trigger output for controlling a motorized screen or other device
- 3.5mm IR input for use with an external IR receiver
- 3D sync output
- detachable power cord
- compatible with a wide range of lenses, including anamorphic models
- V-stretch function lets you watch content in your favorite formats with a full-size picture
- laser diode light source lasts up to 20,000 hours
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (26 dB)
- supports integration with Control4, Crestron, Savant, AMX, OvrC, and Domotz systems
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- this projector does not include any type of built-in TV tuner
- 18-1/8"W x 8-3/8"H x 20-3/8"D
- weight: 31 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # VPLXW7000ES
What's in the box:
Sony VPL-XW7000ES owner's manual
- Video projector
- 8' AC power cord
- Remote control (RM-PJ24)
- Two "AA" batteries
- Lens cap (installed)
- Quick Reference Manual
- Warranty Sheet
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sony VPL-XW7000ES
Features & specs
|Native Resolution (pixels)||3840 x 2160|
|Resolution with Pixel Shift||N/A|
|Picture Size Range||60 to 300 inches|
|3D-Capable||Active (req. optional emitter)|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||3200|
|Mounting Options and Design|
|Ultra Short Throw||No|
|HDR (High Dynamic Range)|
|Next-gen Gaming Features|
|VRR (Variable Refresh Rate)||No|
|ALLM (Auto Low Latency Mode)||No|
|4K/120Hz HDMI Inputs||None|
|Smart TV Features|
|Apple TV App||No|
|Apple AirPlay 2||No|
|Audio Return Channel||No|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|USB Media Port||Service/Update|
|Approximate Lamp Life||20,000 hrs.|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||No|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
4K Video Projector
Mounting & Placement Options
Control & Convenience Features
4K Video Projector
Native 4K SXRD Panel: The Sony VPL-XW7000ES delivers native 4K (3840 x 2160) resolution with 8.3 million pixels for an incredibly lifelike picture and image that is truly immersive. Thanks to an all-new 0.61-inch SXRD (Silicon X-tal Reflective Display) panel, you’ll enjoy high brightness, inky blacks, vibrant colors, rich tones and textures, plus clear cinematic motion and image smoothness. Within the Native 4K SXRD panel is a a reflective silicon layer that provides better light control for precisely delivered shadows and blacks and improves light durability and reflectance. This high contrast and high resolution capability delivers an immersive viewing experience.
Z-Phosphor Laser Light Source: With up to 3,200 lumens of high brightness, generated by a long-lasting laser light source you'll enjoy vibrant images on the big screen. The VPL-XW7000ES uses an ultra-pure and reliable Z-Phosphor laser light source, which lets you view perfectly clear 4K pictures at optimal brightness for up to 20,000 uninterrupted hours. You'll never have to worry about changing the lamp in this Sony cinema projector with no lamp replacement and virtually no maintenance required.
Advanced Crisp-Focused (ACF) Lens: Experience flawless clarity across the entire projection screen, thanks to Sony's Advanced Crisp-Focused (ACF) Lens. The 70-mm aspherical front lens widens the focus area, ensuring clear images from corner to corner. A floating focus system utilizes two moving lens groups and extra-low dispersion glass for distortion-free images with accurate color reproduction
Wide Dynamic Range Optics: Enjoy spectacular brightness and stunning realism, thanks to Sony's new Wide Dynamic Range Optics that achieve a 95% DCI-P3 wide color gamut. Sony's Wide Dynamic Range Optics contribute to better light control by maximizing the potential of the laser light source. The resulting higher color volume means naturally colorful images, even at high brightness levels, and stunning, immersive contrast.
- Triluminos Pro: Sony's unique Triluminos Pro lets you see over a billion colors that come to life on your projection screen. Triluminos Pro uses an advanced and unique algorithm that can detect color from saturation, hue and brightness to reproduce natural shades in every detail and image. As a result, you'll enjoy colors that are closer to those seen in the real world.
- Live Color Enhancer: With the newly developed Live Color Enhancer, you'll enjoy lifelike skin tones and vivid images for all your entertainment. The Live Color Enhancer selectively expands the color gamut, for vivid HDR images without unnatural oversaturation. Whether you're watching in daylight or a dark room, you can count on vibrant, true-to-life colors.
X1 Ultimate Video Processor: The VPL-XW7000ES employs Sony's X1 Ultimate video processor for projection. The incredible power of this video engine enables advanced data processing, with real-time enhancement of each on-screen object. The result is high dynamic range imagery with texture, color, contrast and realism.
- Dual Database Processing: Two powerful image improvement databases work together to improve picture quality in real-time. Once database helps reduce on-screen noise, while the other is used to upscale the resolution.
- Object-Based Super Resolution: Object-based Super Resolution technology detects individual objects in a picture and enhances each one for exceptional accuracy and detail.
- Digital Focus Optimizer: By analyzing every pixel and detecting possible degradation in advance, the Digital Focus Optimizer correct the image quality so that the focus is better - even in the corners.
HDMI 2.1: The Sony VPL-XW7000ES projector is outfitted with two HDMI 2.1 inputs that support up to 4k/60Hz video resolution, HDR (High Dynamic Range), HDCP 2.3, 4:4:4 color subsampling, and Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020). Make sure to use a premium high-speed HDMI cable for optimum 4K video performance.
- 4K/60Hz Video: Both HDMI 2.1 inputs will accept 4096x2160p (24/60Hz), 3840x2160p (24/30/60Hz), 1080p (24/30/60/120Hz), 1080i (60Hz), 720p (24/30/60Hz), and 480p (480i is not supported).
- HDCP 2.3: HDCP 2.3 is supported by both HDMI 2.1 inputs. HDCP 2.3 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: Both HDMI inputs will support up to 4:4:4 chroma subsampling for full color data rendering of 4K video (30/60fps). 4:2:2 (30/60fps) and 4:2:0 (60fps) are also supported by all HDMI inputs. With 4:4:4 color, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTV and early generation 4K Ultra HDTV covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: The projector does not off any analog audio/video inputs or outputs.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail. The Sony VPL-XW7000ES supports two HDR formats - including HDR10 which is the most widely used format and is installed from the factory, plus HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) which is designed for over-the-air broadcast and requires an over-the-network firmware update.
- Object-Based HDR Remaster: The Object-based HDR Remaster analyzes the color of individual objects on screen ad adjusts the contrast, resulting in more realistic pictures and images with greater depth and texture.
- Dynamic HDR Enhancer: The Dynamic HDR Enhancer processes HDR content scene by scene and enhances the contrast in combination with laser output control, giving you bright 4K HDR images.
Note: The VPL-XW7000ES does not support Dolby Vision or HDR10+.
IMAX Enhanced: The Sony 4K projector is compatible with IMAX Enhanced content, making it ready to deliver the bigger, more breathtaking IMAX visuals you love with compatible content. Take advantage of the size of your projector screen with movies that come to life and become even more immersive with IMAX Enhanced.
Note: IMAX Enhanced certified devices meet strict performance standards across viewing mode, resolution, color, brightness, and contrast. Defined by a certification committee of IMAX, DTS and Hollywood’s leading technical specialists, IMAX Enhanced certified projectors deliver an IMAX signature picture in the home.
4K Motionflow: The powerful video processor in the VPL-XW7000ES offers Motionflow for smooth and clear motion, even when viewing 4K content. Motionflow is ideal for fast-moving sports content, as it adds frames to reduce blur while maintaining brightness. Cinema purists can choose True Theater mode to retain the original 24fps.
Input Lag Reduction: The Sony VPL-XW7000ES lets you enjoy the latest games lag-free on the big screen. The Sony 4K projector includes input lag reduction that enables the player's input to be reflected on screen without delay. The VPL-XW7000ES supports 4K/60 Hz input with an input lag under 21ms, and 2K/120 Hz input with an input lag under 13ms.
Picture Calibration: Quickly calibrate your picture to the type of content you're enjoying with a variety of adjustments.
- Aspect Ratio: You can select an aspect ratio best suited for the video signal received.
- Full: 4096 x 2160 images are projected across the entire screen while maintaining the aspect ratio
- Normal: input image is projected on the entire screen with the aspect ratio maintained; suitable for viewing 1.78:1 (16:9) and 1.33:1 (4:3) images.
- Zoom: a 1.85:1 or 2.35:1 aspect ratio picture is displayed in its original aspect ratio, enlarged so that black bands do not appear at the top and bottom of the screen
- V Stretch: most suitable for viewing the 2.35:1 image on the 2.35:1 screen with a commercially available anamorphic lens (sold separately)
- Squeeze: view a 1.78:1 (16:9) or 1.33:1 (4:3) image with a commercially available anamorphic lens (sold separately); the image is projected with the correct aspect ratio
- Stretch: image is squeezed to 1.33:1 (4:3) is projected with 1.78:1 (16:9) aspect ratio
- Picture View Mode: You can select the picture viewing mode that best suits the type of video source or room
conditions. You can save and use different preset modes for 2D/3D respectively.
- Cinema Film 1: picture quality suited to reproducing the highly dynamic and clear images typical of master positive film
- Cinema Film 2: picture quality suited to reproducing the rich tone and color typical of a movie theater
- Reference: picture quality setup suitable for when you want to reproduce faithfully the original image quality, or for enjoying image quality, without any adjustment
- TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, etc
- Photo: ideal for projecting still images taken with a digital camera
- Game: picture quality suited to gaming, with well-modulated colors and fast response
- Bright Cinema: picture quality suited for watching movies in a bright environment, such
as a living room
- Bright TV: picture quality suited for watching TV programs, sports, concerts, and other video images in a bright environment, such as a living room
- User: adjust the picture quality settings manually to suit your taste then saves the setting; adjust brightness, color, hue, color temperature, contrast, sharpness, and noise reduction
- Picture Quality: You can easily adjust the picture quality that suits your taste by selecting the adjustment.
items with the remote control. The adjusted data can be stored in each calibrated preset.
- Reality Creation: adjusts the detail and noise processing of images; the texture and detail of the picture become sharper. while the noise (picture roughness) becomes less prominent
- Cinema Black Pro: increase the brightness in order to project brighter images or decrease the brightness in order to enhance blacks
- Color Space: converts the color space best suited for your video content
- Color Correction: Adjusts Hue, Saturation or Brightness of the selected color - Red, Yellow, Green, Cyan, Blue, and Magenta
- Contrast Enhancer: corrects the level of bright and dark parts automatically to optimize contrast according to a scene
- Smooth Gradation: smooths the gradation of the flat parts of images
- Gamma Correction: adjusts the response characteristics of the tone of the picture
- MPEG Noise Reduction: reduces block noise and mosquito noise, in particular in digital signals
- Dynamic Range: sets the image input level (Auto, Limited, Full) for the HDMI inputs
3D Sync Out: The VPL-XW7000ES features a 3D Sync Out (3.5mm) that can connect to a 3D sync transmitter (sold separately) to enjoy a 3D image when watching a 3D movie on a 3D-ready player with 3D-glasses (all sold separately). 3D video is only available in 1080p/i or 720p (not compatible with 4K).
Anamorphic Lens Compatibility: Anamorphic lens compatibility with 4K signals means you can can use your legacy anamorphic lenses, even when you’re watching 4K content. The V-Stretch mode for 4K ensures your favorite formats are displayed correctly.
Mounting & Placement Options
Projector Placement & Mounting: The Sony VPL-XW7000ES can be positioned in front of or behind the projection screen. It can be placed on a flat tabletop surface or ceiling mounted (mounting bracket sold separately). The projector has two adjustable rubber feet to angle the unit when projecting from a table. There are three 5mm threaded inserts that allow you to use a projector ceiling mount (sold separately - see Accessories Tab) to mount the unit from your ceiling.
- Make sure the projector is level for optimum image. If the unit is tilted up or down, the image on the screen may be trapezoidal. Position the unit so that the lens is always parallel to the screen. There is no keystone correction.
- When using the unit in a location at an altitude of approximately 3280' or higher, set the projector to "High Altitude Mode" in the Setup Menu.
Note: For optimum ventilation, leave at least 11.875" of clearance around the projector.
Projection Screen Size & Throw Distance: Installing the VPL-XW7000ES is easy with its motorized lens and wide throw distance range. The 2.1x motorized zoom lens, digital focus optimizer, and a lens shift feature provide further installation flexibility and remarkable performance in nearly every screening room. The Sony VPL-XW7000ES video projector can produce a 4K image that is adjustable between 60" and 300". The projector's adjustable lens provides a wide range of placement possibilities for a given screen size.
|Screen Size||Throw Distance|
|60"||70" to 147"|
|80"||94" to 197"|
|100||118" to 247"|
|150"||178" to 372"|
|200"||238" to 496"|
|300"||357" to 746"|
Note: The installation distance between the projector and a screen varies depending on the screen size (projection size). Install the projector according to the screen size
Installation Adjustments with Picture Position Memory: During the initial setup, or subsequent adjustment, these features help optimize performance and offer placement flexibility. Lens focus, zoom, and shift settings for up to five screen formats can be stored for easy recall.
- Motorized Zoom: The projector is equipped with a F2.50 to F3.24 projection lens with 1.35:1 to 2.84:1 throw ratio and a 2.1x motorized zoom to fit the video image to the size of the screen.
- Focus Ring:: The focus is not stable immediately after turning on the power. To adjust the focus more precisely, it is recommended to adjust the focus after 30 minutes or more have elapsed since the projector has been turned on, and after the lens adjustment window (test pattern) has been displayed for 2 minutes or more.
- Lens Shift: Lens Shift lets you raise, lower, or reposition the projected image without changing the angle relationship between the projector and the screen. It also reduces the need to physically move the projector horizontally or vertically to fit the image within the borders of the screen. This projector has a vertical lens shift of +/-85% and a horizontal lens shift of +/-36%.
- Image Flip: Flips the image vertically or horizontally.
- Blanking: Allows you to adjust the displayable region within the four directions of the screen.
- Panel Alignment: This feature allows you to adjust the gaps in the color of characters or the picture.
Note: Sony does not offer Keystone correction for this projector because it degrades the image. When applying the digital process of keystone correction to an image it uses compression and scaling to manipulate the shape of the projected image so the number of individual pixels used is reduced, lowering the resolution and thus degrading the quality of the image projected.
Control & Convenience Features
IR Remote: The Sony VPL-XW7000ES comes with an IR remote that allows you to wirelessly control many of the projector's functions. There are also five push-button controls (Power, Input, Menu, Enter, Lens) on the side of the projector.
Custom Home Remote Integration: The Sony VPL-XW7000ES projector integrates seamlessly with today's home automation systems. Support for Control4, Crestron, Savant and AMX lets you enjoy a smarter, more convenient entertainment experience.
Custom Install Connection: The Sony VPL-XW7000ES features an IR remote input, a 12V trigger, RS-232 port, and LAN jack for custom installations and applications.
- IR Input: The video projector has a 3.5mm minijack input for use with an external IR receiver (sold separately).
- 12V Trigger: Use the 12-volt trigger output (3.5mm) to trigger on a motorized projection screen.
- RS-232C Port: Seamlessly integrate the VPL-XW7000ES into virtually any major automation system via the bi-directional, industry-standard RS-232C connection.
- RJ-45 (LAN): The RJ-45 (LAN) port supports network monitoring and control protocols (SDAP, SDCP, DDDP).
Whisper-Quiet Fan: Due to the VPL-XW7000ES advanced air discharge system, Sony's whisper-quiet fan emits only 24db during show. time. Plus, having a front air intake and exhaust allows the projector to be positioned near a wall without having to worry about cooling issues.
Power Saving Modes: If no signal is input for 10 minutes, power is turned off automatically and the projector goes into standby mode.
USB Port (Software Updates Only): You can download files to update the software of the unit from Sony's Online Support Site. Simply copy the downloaded files to a USB thumbdrive, then insert the USB thumbdrive into the USB port of the projector and perform the update
The Sony VPL-XW7000ES replaces these items
- three 0.74" SXRD™ panels with Full Digital Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels each)
- Z-Phosphor™ laser light source delivers ultra-pure light with zero maintenance for years
- Auto Tone Mapping and Dynamic HDR Enhancer automatically optimize HDR image quality
2 questions already asked