About the Sony WF-1000XM3
100% wire-free headphones with top-flight noise cancellation
This exploded view shows the cutting-edge wireless, noise-canceling, and audio circuitry packed into each earbud.
100% wire-free headphones with top-flight noise cancellation
The Sony WF-1000XM3 headphones are one of the few true wireless earbuds to offer active noise cancellation. And Sony happens to have some of the most powerful, adaptive noise-canceling technology available. Music plays wirelessly from your phone via Bluetooth, and there is no cable connecting the left and right cable.
These wire-free in-ears include the same stellar processor chip as their best-selling siblings — the WH-1000XM3 over-ear headphones. I've seen the noise cancellation in those over-ears raise eyebrows among Crutchfield Advisors. (And trust me, that's a tough crowd to "wow.") Sony's sophisticated circuitry can read the type and amount of external sound around you, and automatically serve up the proper amount of noise cancellation for the situation.
Sony's free mobile app lets you fine-tune the sound — and noise cancellation
You get that smart, high-tech noise cancellation right out of the box. But when you download the free Headphones Connect app to your Apple® or Android™ device, things really get intuitive. The app uses your phone's sensors to detect if you're walking, running, or sitting still — and adjust the noise cancellation accordingly.
The app gives you a few other controls, too. For instance, you can customize the sound characteristics and level of noise cancellation — or even choose to prioritize sound quality or connection stability. (That's helpful when competing with other wireless signals in a high-traffic area like an office or mall.)
The app also lets you set up touch controls on the earbuds to summon Google Assistant for voice commands though your paired smartphone.
Better Bluetooth performance
Sony also uses a state-of-the-art Bluetooth chip for easy pairing and a stronger wireless connection. It allows each earbud to make an independent Bluetooth connection to your phone or other audio device. That makes it less of a hassle for you to use. You can grab either earbud to make a quick call, or use both to listen to music.
And the stronger connection means better sound. Each earbud makes an independent connection to your phone, instead of having a "parent-and-child" relationship to one another. That means that each can dish out well-rounded sound with tight bass from its built-in 6mm driver.
When you need to hear others, just put your finger on the left earbud.
A convenient way to hear others
These earbuds share one of my favorite features of the WH-1000XM3 over-ears, called "Quick Attention." It lets you instantly hear important ambient noise or voices. Temporarily turn off all audio and noise-canceling technology by simply placing your finger over the left earbud. Tiny built-in mics will pick up external sounds and voices.
Each oblong earbud has a snappy touch-sensitive panel. You swipe and tap your finger on the earbuds to control music, calls, and noise cancellation.
Carrying case that recharges your earbuds wirelessly
When fully charged, the Sony WF-1000XM3 earbuds offer up to six hours of music listening with noise cancellation, and eight hours without it. That is very good battery life for this category. The included charging case can bank up to 18 hours of power — or three full charges. And 10 minutes inside the case gives you 90 minutes of wireless music and noise canceling.
- 100% wire-free headphones with active noise cancellation
- no connecting cord between left and right earbuds
- Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless music listening and phone calls
- 6mm dynamic drivers tuned for clear, detailed sound
Adaptive noise cancellation:
- includes Sony's sophisticated HD Noise Cancelling Processor QN1 chip
- strengthens noise cancellation for human voices and other higher-frequency sounds
- keeps noise-cancelling circuitry from interfering with audio circuitry
- active noise cancellation circuitry adjusts to the level of external sound
- dual noise sensors in each earbud catch more ambient sounds of your surroundings
- free Sony Headphones Connect app for Apple® and Android™ lets you adjust settings
- customize the sound and manually choose the level of noise cancellation
- prioritize sound quality or connection stability (helpful when competing with other signals in high-traffic area)
- personalized Sony 360 reality audio experience with select music services (firmware update required)
- Adaptive Sound Control uses your phone's movement sensors to adapt noise cancellation
- detects whether your running, walking, standing still, or riding in car (app required)
- Quick Attention lets in external sounds without removing your earbuds
- touch controls on each earbud let you answer calls, control music playback, and adjust noise cancellation
- quickly turn off noise-canceling circuitry by covering either earbud with your finger
- touch controls on each earbud for summoning the Google Assistant on your smartphone or tablet
- ask questions, dictate texts, and control music by voice
- available for Apple and Android
- must repurpose the earbud touch control using the Headphone Connect app
- dual-microphone system for clear phone calls with a smartphone
Charging case, battery information and accessories:
- built-in rechargeable batteries offers 6 hours of listening with noise cancellation
- up to 8 hours of listening without noise cancellation
- carrying case banks up to 18 hours of power to wirelessly recharge headphones
- 10 minutes of recharging provides enough power for 90 minutes of listening
- includes 6 pairs of ear tips for a customized, comfortable fit
- 3 sizes of long, spongy silicone rubber ear tips
- 3 sizes of silicone ear tips
- USB-C cable included for charging case
- weight: 0.6 ounces (both earbuds) 2.8 ounces (case)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WF1000XM3/B
What's in the box:
- Left and right true wireless ear buds (Black)
- Charging case
- 9" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- 4 Pairs of long hybrid silicone ear tips (1 pair installed)
- 3 Pairs of Triple-comfort ear buds
- Operating Instructions
- Reference Guide
- Noise-cancelling function instructions
- Google Assistant diagram
- Warranty (US + Canada)
Sony WF-1000XM3 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony WF-1000XM3
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||1.31" x 0.723"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony WF-1000XM3 Wireless Noise Cancelling In-ear Headphones are a major upgrade from the original Sony WF-1000X true wireless headphones. The "Mark 3" version has the QN1e HD Noise-cancelling Processor, Google Assistant, Bluetooth 5.0 and simultaneous BT transmission to both ear buds, and improved battery life with USB-C charging. The headphones include a Charging Case, USB-C charging cable, and seven pairs of ear tips.
True Wireless Design: The WF-1000XM3 includes left and right ear buds that sit securely in your ears. The Bluetooth pairing, noise cancellation, music playback, and phone controls are located on the outside of each ear bud. When using the Sony Headphones Connect app, you can control many more functions and features on your device.
Driver: Each ear bud has an advanced 0.24" (6mm) dynamic driver for excellent sound quality. The driver features high quality CCAW (copper-clad aluminum wire) voice coils for optimum signal transfer.
Ergonomic Tri-hold Structure: The WF-1000XM3's new design features an Ergonomic Tri-hold Structure with a high-friction rubber surface material that touches three different points on your ear to give you a comfortable, but secure fit.
Supplied Ear Tips: The in-ear headphones come with seven pairs of ear tips. The proper fit of the ear tips into your ear canals maximizes the audio performance, and the noise cancellation system. Four sizes of long hybrid silicone rubber ear tips are provided (large, medium, small, and super-small). The slightly thicker triple-comfort ear tips provide a snug fit for effective attenuation of ambient noise. The triple-comfort tips come in three sizes (large, medium, and small).
Bluetooth/NFC: The WF-1000XM3 has Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless listening from your smartphone, tablet, or Bluetooth music player. The ear buds feature a new optimized antenna design and placement to provide a more stable connection with your device for uninterrupted streaming. Unlike its predecessor, the WF-1000X, the "Mark 3" receives the Bluetooth signal simultaneously to both ear buds, rather than a left-to-right relay connection. Compatible profiles include A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, and HSP, with SBC and AAC codecs. For NFC-enabled devices, you can easily pair to the headphones by simply touching the device to the N-mark on the front of the charging case when the ear buds are nearby. Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 30 feet.
Digital Noise Cancellation: The headphones are equipped with dual microphones (one feed-forward and one feed-back) on the surface of each ear bud to capture more of the ambient sounds. The environmental sounds are sent to the QN1e Noise-Cancelling Processor to cancel out the noise across almost all frequencies. The processor also works much more efficiently, using less power, and extending battery life.
Note: You can use the Digital Noise Cancellation feature without being connected to an external device. You must first change the "Auto Off" setting in the Sony Headphones Connect app, so that you can block out external noise, even without playing music.
DSEE HX: Sony's Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX) upscales the compressed sound source data, such as CD or MP3, to quality that is close to Hi-Res Audio. DSEE HX reproduces the clear high-frequency sounds that are often lost in the compression of the music files. The DSEE HX function is switchable in the Sony Headphones Connect App.
Adaptive Sound Control: Sony's Adaptive Sound Control can detect your activity and adjust the sound settings to you. When traveling, you can immerse yourself in your music with the highest level of noise cancellation. If you're walking, the noise cancellation adapts so you can stay aware of your surroundings while listening to music. While waiting, such as in an airport or train station, the noise cancellation is reduced so you can hear important announcements. These settings can be customized to your personal tastes in the Sony Headphones Connect app.
Voice Assistant Function: The Sony WF-1000XM3 lets you use your favorite voice assistant, including Google Assistant. You can assign the functionality of the control button of the left or right ear bud to communicate with your selected voice assistant. The Google Assistant app must be loaded on your smartphone to use the Google Assistant function.
Sony Headphones Connect App: The Sony Headphones Connect app gives you control over the sound of your headphones right on your smartphone or tablet. In addition to Adaptive Sound Control (mentioned above), you can switch on/off the Digital Sound Enhancement Engine HX (DSEE HX) to make your compressed music sources sound closer to Hi-Res audio quality. You can select from available presets for the Equalizer, and control your music (play/pause, skip forward/backward, fast forward/backward). The Sony Headphones Connect app is compatible with iOS devices (iOS 11.0 or later) and Android devices (Android 5.0 and up), as well as Windows and Mac.
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony WF-1000XM3 in-ear headphones are equipped with 3.7-volt Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries in each ear bud to power the Bluetooth and ANC functions. The ear bud batteries are charged in the included charging case, which includes its own rechargeable battery. The ear buds cannot be charged without the case. The ear buds require approximately 1.5 hours to fully charge, while the case takes about 3.5 hours. A 10-minute quick-charge provides enough power for approximately 90 minutes of playback time. The batteries charge via USB using the included USB-C cable. With a fully charged battery in the charging case, you can charge the ear buds about 2 additional times for a total of 24 hours of listening, even with Noise Cancelling on. (See battery life estimates below in Specifications.)
- Battery Life (estimated):
- Music Playback:
- Noise Cancelling On: 6 hours max.
- Noise Cancelling Off: 8 hours max.
- Ambient Sound Mode: 6 hours max.
- Communication Time:
- Noise Cancelling On: 4 hours max.
- Noise Cancelling Off: 4.5 hours max.
- Ambient Sound Mode: 4 hours max.
- Standby Time:
- Noise Cancelling On: 9 hours max.
- Noise Cancelling Off: 15 hours max.
- Ambient Sound Mode: 8.5 hours max.
- Music Playback:
- Bluetooth Transmission Range (A2DP): 20Hz - 20kHz (44.1 kHz sampling)
- Ear Buds: Width 1.31" Height 0.723" Depth 1.162"
- Charging Case: Width 3.11" Height 2.122" Depth 1.122"
- Ear Buds: 0.3 ounces each
- Charging Case: 2.7 ounces (empty)
10 questions already asked