About the Sony WH-XB900N EXTRA BASS™
Sleek noise-cancelers for true bass buffs
Sleek noise-cancelers for true bass buffs
The Sony WH-XB900N noise-canceling Bluetooth headphones are part of Sony's EXTRA BASS series, a popular choice for Crutchfield customers. If you're looking for absolutely flat and balanced sound, look elsewhere — Sony is playing to the bass crowd here. But these headphones sport a lighter, more streamlined design than previous EXTRA BASS models.
They also play music wirelessly from your phone and feature active noise cancellation to knock out external distractions. Sony's internal circuitry helps cancel out the commotion around you, so you can focus on the forceful bass. Our customers who prefer that low-end emphasis generally review the Sony EXTRA BASS series well. They describe the bass as tight and hard-hitting — not bloated or unruly — so it enhances the overall energy of the sound.
When you need to hear others, just place your hand over the right earcup.
A convenient way to hear others
These headphones share one of my favorite features of Sony's best-selling WH-1000XM3 headphones, called "Quick Attention." It lets you instantly hear important ambient noise or voices. Temporarily turn off all audio and noise-canceling technology by simply placing your hand on the earcup. Tiny built-in mics will pick up external sounds and voices.
The right earcup also has a snappy touch-sensitive panel. You swipe and tap your finger on the earbuds to control music, calls, and noise cancellation.
Mobile app and battery life
Download the free Sony Headphones Connect app to your phone, and you can customize the sound to suit your listening preferences. Tweak the equalization, sound presets, and more. You can even choose MORE bass.
The long-lasting battery is a great touch — you get up to 30 hours of wireless noise-canceling use on a full charge. You also get a 3.5mm audio cable if you ever want to go "old-school" and plug these babies into a headphone jack.
- closed-back, over-ear design
- 40mm dynamic drivers tuned for deep, punchy bass
- a dedicated bass duct for enhanced low-frequency response
- active noise-canceling circuitry to minimize external noise
- Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls with compatible smartphones
- aptX HD and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming from compatible sources
- NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- earcup controls let you answer calls, play/pause music, skip tracks, and control volume
- quickly turn off noise-canceling by covering the right earcup with your hand
- built-in microphone for making calls with a smartphone
- free Sony Headphones Connect app for Apple® and Android allows you to adjust bass levels
- select from sound presets like Outdoor Stage, Club, Hall, or Arena
General info and specs:
- streamlined design for on-the-go listening
- well-padded headband and earcups for comfort
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 30 hours of wireless use with noise cancellation
- 47-inch detachable cable with 3.5mm miniplug connector for wired use
- includes USB cable for charging
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (Bluetooth), 2-20,000 Hz (wired)
- sensitivity: 101 dB
- impedance: 50 ohms (when connected via headphone cable with noise-cancellation "on")
- weight: 8.96 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WHXB900N/B
What's in the box:
- Over-ear Bluetooth headphones (black)
- 9" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- 48" Audio cable (straight 3.5mm plug on one end and right-angle 3.5mm plug on other end)
- Reference Guide
- Operating Instructions
- Limited Warranty (US and Canada)
- Google Assistant connection sheet
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Sony WH-XB900N EXTRA BASS™ reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony WH-XB900N EXTRA BASS™
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.161" x 3.967"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||20-40k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony WH-XB900N Wireless Over-ear Headphones are lightweight and comfortable for long listening sessions. They have soft, cushioned ear pads and head band. With Active Noise Cancellation, you can block out the rest of the world and enjoy your tunes in peace. Built-in Bluetooth 4.2 and NFC let you easily connect without the wires. The headphones have Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice controls built-in. The WH-XB900N comes with a 4-foot cable, a USB-C charging cable, and folds flat for storage in the included carrying pouch.
Noise Cancellation: The headphones feature Active Noise Cancellation to reduce external ambient noise, so you hear more of your music and less of the world around you. Built-in microphones pick up sound around you, and the headphones produce an equal-but-opposite sound that cancels out the noise. The noise cancelling function works best for low frequency noise. While listening to music with Noise Cancelling turned on, you can activate the Ambient Sound Mode whenever you need to hear a conversation or public announcement. Ambient Sound Mode reduces the Noise Cancelling effect allowing external sound to be heard in the headphones. Pressing the Custom button on the back of the left ear cup to cycle through the modes: Noise Cancelling on > Ambient Sound Mode on > Noise Cancelling off.
EXTRA BASS: The XB900N features EXTRA BASS with enhanced low-end performance. The PET (Mylar) dome-type 40mm drivers provide deep, punchy bass, while maintaining vocal clarity.
Bluetooth/NFC: The WH-XB900N has Bluetooth 4.2 for wireless listening from your smartphone, tablet, or Bluetooth music player. The headphones are compatible with A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, and HSP profiles, and feature SBC, AAC, and aptX codecs for enhanced wireless sound quality. For NFC-enabled devices, you can easily pair to the headphones by simply touching the device to the N-mark on the left earcup of the headphones. The Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 30 feet.
Touch Controls: The right earcup has a touch sensitive area that is sensitive to tap and swipe actions to control music playback and phone calls. During music playback, you can tap the touch panel for play/pause, swipe horizontally for skip forward or backward, and swipe vertically to raise or lower the volume. When a call comes in, you can tap the touch panel to answer and end a call. Holding your palm over the touch panel activates the Quick Attention function, which instantly reduces the music volume so you can engage in a conversation, or need to be more aware of your surroundings.
Voice Guidance: The WH-XB900N features Voice Guidance that confirms when certain functions are activated or the headphone status changes. Voice Guidance can be heard when you power on/off, pair or unpair with a Bluetooth device, turn on/off the noise cancelling function or Ambient Sound Mode, or need the battery level status. The default Voice Guidance language is English.
Passive Operation: The headphones offer a passive option for those times when you can't listen wirelessly or the built-in battery is exhausted. Simply plug the included 4' cable into your source device and the headphones, and you can listen without worry. If the headphones are turned off, the onboard controls are disabled.
DSEE: Sony's Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) is used to makes your compressed audio files sound better. When audio files are compressed, much of the high-frequency sounds are lost, making your music sound flat and lifeless. DSEE restores both high-frequency signals and fine fade-out sound, giving your music a more natural and expansive quality.
Voice Assistant: You can access your favorite Voice Assistant directly through the headphones. The WH-XB900N is compatible with both Alexa and Google Assistant. Using the built-in microphone, you can connect to your smartphone's voice assistant access entertainment and information, listen to music, set reminders, get notifications, and connect with friends, all with the power of your voice.
Sony Headphones Connect App: The Sony Headphones Connect app gives you control over the sound of your headphones right on your smartphone or tablet. The app lets you select from available presets for the Surround VPT, such as Arena, Club, Outdoor Stage, and Concert Hall. The Sony Headphones Connect app is compatible with iOS devices (iOS 11.0 or later) and Android devices (Android 5.0 and up).
Note: Not all features of the app are compatible with the WH-XB900N headphones.
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony WH-XB900N over-ear headphones are equipped with a 3.7-volt Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery to power the Bluetooth wireless functions. The battery fully charges in approximately 7 hours via USB using the included USB-C cable. With a 10-minute Quick Charge, you can get about 60 minutes of music playback. (See battery life estimates below in Specifications.)
- Frequency Response:
- Wired: 3Hz to 22kHz
- With Bluetooth: 20Hz to 20kHz (44.1 kHz sampling); 20Hz to 40kHz (LDAC 96kHz sampling, 990 kbps)
- Sensitivity: 101dB/mW (wired - unit on); 103dB/mW (wired - unit off)
- Impedance (1 kHz): 50Ω (wired - unit on); 25Ω (wired - unit off)
- Full Charging Time: approx. 4 hours
- Battery Life (estimated):
- Music Playback: 30 hours max (NC On or Ambient Sound Mode); 35 hours max (NC off)
- Communications: 30 hours max (NC On or Ambient Sound Mode); 32 hours max (NC off)
- Standby: 50 hours (NC On or Ambient Sound Mode); 300 hours (NC off)
- Connected via headphone cable with NC On: 40 hours max
- Ear Cups: Width 3.161", Height 3.967", Depth 1.924"
- Headband: Width 0.955"
- Weight: 8.9 ounces (w/o cable)
The Sony WH-XB900N EXTRA BASS™ replaces these items
- over-ear headphones with active noise-canceling circuitry to minimize external noise
- Bluetooth connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls
- analyzes outside noise and optimizes noise-cancellation