About the Sony WI-1000X
Neckband headphones with noise-canceling smarts
Neckband headphones with noise-canceling smarts
The lightweight Sony WI-1000X headphones feature a sturdy neckband that rests on your shoulder. This allows your head to move more freely — as music plays wirelessly from your phone via Bluetooth. And Sony has developed some really effective noise-canceling technology. Their adaptive circuitry adjusts to the level of external sound around you — it even takes into account your movement.
Sony's free mobile app lets you fine-tune the sound — and noise
- earbud cables connect to a rigid neckband
- neckband vibrates for phone call notification
- built-in Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls
- aptX-HD® and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming from compatible sources
- hybrid dual-driver technology combines balanced armature and dynamic drivers for realistic and robust sound
- 9mm dynamic driver for mids and bass
- single balanced armature driver for highs
- S-Master® HX amplification offers detailed playback of wireless music
Adaptive Noise Cancellation:
- active noise cancellation circuitry adjusts to the level of external sound
- free Sony Headphones Connect app for Apple and Android lets you adjust settings
- customize the sound and manually choose the level of noise cancellation
- Adaptive Sound Control uses your phone's movement sensors to adapt noise cancellation
- detects whether you're running, walking, standing still, or riding in car (app required)
- barometric pressure sensor in neckband
- optimizes noise-canceling and sound to your altitude when in flight
- NFC-compatible for one-touch Bluetooth pairing with compatible devices
- neckband controls for music playback, phone calls, and other features
- quickly choose the level of noise-cancellation
- built-in microphone for making calls with a smartphone
General Info and Specs:
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 10 hours of wireless use with noise cancellation
- up to 17 hours of wireless use without noise cancellation
- 15 minutes of recharging provides enough power for 70 minutes of listening
- includes USB cable for charging
- 3.5mm stereo mini cable for wired use
- airline adapter included for in-flight entertainment systems
- travel-friendly design with neat cable storage and carrying case included
- frequency response: 20-40,000 Hz (wireless)
- weight: 2.5 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WI1000X/B
What's in the box:
- Neckband in-ear headphones (black)
- 4 Pairs of Hybrid Silicone rubber ear buds (1 pair installed)
- 3 Pairs of Triple Comfort ear buds
- 42" Audio cable (Micro-B USB plug on one end and a right-angled 3.5mm plug on other end)
- 20" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and a Micro-B USB on other end)
- Airline adapter (1 female 3.5mm jack to 2 male 3.5mm plugs)
- Zippered storage pouch
- Instruction Manual
- Reference Guide
- Limited Warranty (US and Canada)
- Headphones Connect card
Sony WI-1000X reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony WI-1000X
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||0.476" x 0.628"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||3-40k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony WI-1000X Wireless Noise Cancelling In-ear Headphones feature a neckband style that lets you enjoy your music and leave your phone in your pocket or purse. With Digital Noise Cancellation, Adaptive Sound Control, and onboard controls, the headphones make it easy to get the sound you want from your digital music files. The headphones include an audio cable for wired listening, an airline audio adapter, a USB charging cable, seven pairs of ear tips, and a zippered storage pouch.
Neckband Design: The WI-1000X has a padded neckband that rests comfortably on your collarbone with 8" wires to each ear bud. You can control the amount of slack in the wires by tucking them into a groove along the top and bottom of the neckband. The playback and phone controls are located on the neckband. All of the electronics and power components for Digital Noise Cancellation and Bluetooth are located inside the neckband.
Supplied Ear Tips: The in-ear headphones come with seven pairs of ear tips. The proper fit of the ear tips into your ear canals maximizes the audio performance, and the noise cancellation system. Four sizes of hybrid silicone rubber ear tips are provided (large, medium, small, and super-small). The slightly thicker triple-comfort ear tips provide a snug fit for effective attenuation of ambient noise. The triple-comfort tips come in three sizes (large, medium, and small).
Bluetooth/NFC: The WI-1000X has Bluetooth 4.1 for wireless listening from your smartphone, tablet, or Bluetooth music player. Compatible profiles include A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, and HSP, with SBC, AAC, LDAC, aptX, and aptX HD codecs. LDAC transmits approximately three times more data than conventional Bluetooth, with a maximum transfer rate of 990 kbps for exceptional sound quality. For NFC-enabled devices, you can easily pair to the headphones by simply touching the device to the N-mark on the right side of the neckband. Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 30 feet.
Digital Noise Cancellation: The headphones are equipped with built-in microphones on the top of the ear buds that capture outside noise and send and equal-but-opposite cancelling signal to the unit. You'll be able to hear more of your music and less of the outside distractions. The Sony Headphones Connect app has a Noise Cancelling Optimizer that detects the surrounding atmospheric pressure to make the noise cancelling effect even better.
Adaptive Sound Control: Sony's Adaptive Sound Control can detect your activity and adjust the sound settings to you. When traveling, you can immerse yourself in your music with the highest level of noise cancellation. If you're walking, the noise cancellation adapts so you can stay aware of your surroundings while listening to music. While waiting, such as in an airport or train station, the noise cancellation is reduced so you can hear important announcements. These settings can be customized to your personal tastes in the Sony Headphones Connect app.
Sony Headphones Connect App: The Sony Headphones Connect app gives you control over the sound of your headphones right on your smartphone or tablet. In addition to Adaptive Sound Control and Noise Cancelling Optimizer (mentioned above), the app's Sound Position Control lets you choose the direction from which you hear your music (Front, Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, or Rear Left). You can select from available presets for the Surround VPT and Equalizer features, control your music (play/pause, skip forward/backward, fast forward/backward), and set the Clear Bass and DSEE HX (high range compensation for compressed music files) levels. The Sony Headphones Connect app is compatible with iOS devices (iOS 9.0 or later) and Android devices (Android 4.4 and up).
Onboard Controls: Using the controls on the inside of the neckband, you can easily control all your music and calls. On the left side, you'll find the power button as well as the playback and phone call controls. On the right side is the button to turn on/off Noise Cancelling. You can also control many of the same functions, and more, from the Sony Headphones Connect app on your device.
High Resolution Audio: The headphones are compatible with Hi-Res Audio, allowing you to hear all of the subtle details of your music. For true Hi-Res audio reproduction, the included 42" audio cable must be used in a wired connection to your Hi-Res-capable playback device.
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony WI-1000X in-ear headphones are equipped with a 3.7-volt Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery to power the Bluetooth and ANC functions. The battery fully charges in approximately 3.5 hours via USB using the included Micro USB cable. With a 15-minute Quick Charge, you can get about 70 minutes of music playback. (See battery life estimates below in Specifications.)
- Frequency Response:
- Wired: 3Hz to 40kHz (with or without NC)
- Wireless: 20Hz to 20kHz (44.1kHz sampling); 20Hz to 40kHz (LDAC 96kHz sampling, 990 kbps)
- Sensitivity: 101dB/mW (wired, NC on); 97dB/mW (wired, NC off)
- Impedance: 22Ω (wired, NC on); 24Ω (wired, NC off)
- Full Charging Time: approx. 3.5 hours
- Battery Life (estimated):
- Music Playback: 10 hours (NC on), 13 hours (NC off); 70 minutes (after 15 min quick charge)
- Communications: 10 hours (NC on), 12 hours (NC off)
- Standby: 17 hours (NC on), 100 hours (NC off)
- Noise Cancelling with Headphone Cable Connected: 14 hours
- Microphone Frequency Range: 50Hz to 8kHz
- Ear Buds: Width 0.476" Height 0.628" Depth 1.119"
- Neckband: Width 0.658"
- Weight: 2.5 ounces (w/o cable)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?