About the Sony WF-SP800N
Wire-free, sweat-proof earbuds help knock out the noise
The sweatproof Sony WF-SP800N true wireless earbuds include three sizes of ear tips and a pair of winged "arch supporters" to keep the secure and stable.
Wire-free, sweat-proof earbuds help knock out the noise
I've seen very few sports headphones with built-in noise cancellation — and even less are truly wireless. The sweatproof WF-SP800N boast a substantial battery life and have no connecting cable to get in the way of your workout. And Sony's adaptive noise-canceling circuitry helps hush loud, unpleasant gym distractions.
Wireless music with hard-hitting sound
Music and podcasts play wirelessly from your phone via Bluetooth 5.0. Sony also uses a state-of-the-art Bluetooth chip for easy pairing and a stronger wireless connection. They tuned the sound to keep you focused on your training, with powerful, punchy bass.
And for those times you need to be aware of your surroundings? Tap the remote on the connecting cable to activate Sony's Ambient Sound Mode — this lets in some external sound, even while you keep your earbuds in.
Sony's free mobile app lets you fine-tune the sound — and noise cancellation
When you download the free Headphones Connect app to your Apple® or Android™ device, the noise-cancellation really gets intuitive. The app uses your phone's sensors to detect if you're walking, running, or sitting still — and adjust the noise cancellation accordingly.
The app gives you a few other controls, too. For instance, you can customize the sound characteristics and level of noise cancellation — or even choose to prioritize sound quality or connection stability. (That's helpful when competing with other wireless signals in a high-traffic area like an office or mall.)
Long-lasting battery life and charging case
These earbuds are designed to go the distance for marathon gym sessions. When fully charged, the Sony WF-SP800N earbuds offer up to nine hours of music listening with noise cancellation, and 13 hours without it. That is excellent battery life for this category.
The included charging case can bank up to nine more hours of powers. And 10 minutes inside the case gives you 90 minutes of wireless music and noise canceling.
A convenient way to hear others
These earbuds also have one of my favorite Sony features, called "Quick Attention." It lets you instantly hear important conversations — no need to remove the earbuds. Temporarily turn off all audio and noise-canceling technology by simply placing your finger over the left earbud. Tiny built-in mics will pick up external sounds and voices, then you can get right back to your workout.
Each oblong earbud has a snappy touch-sensitive panel. You swipe and tap your finger on the earbuds to control music, calls, and noise cancellation. The Headphone Connect app also lets you set up touch controls on the earbuds to summon Google Assistant for voice commands though your paired smartphone.
- 100% wire-free headphones with active noise cancellation
- no connecting cord between left and right earbuds
- Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless music listening and phone calls
- wireless chip designed for connection stability and low latency with video
- Adaptive noise cancellation:
- active noise-canceling technology reduces external sounds and distractions
- Ambient Mode lets in external sounds without removing your earbuds
- button on left ear bud toggles from noise cancellation to Ambient mode
- free Sony Headphones Connect app for Apple and Android lets you adjust settings
- customize the sound and manually choose the level of noise cancellation
- personalized Sony 360 reality audio experience with select music services (firmware update required)
Designed for use during workouts and running
- 6.1mm dynamic drivers tuned to deliver clear, detailed sound
- Extra Bass boost delivers enhanced low-frequency response
- IPX5-rated sweatproof design
- 3 sizes of silicone ear tips for a customized, comfortable fit
- 1 pair of winged "arc supporters" to help further stabilize the earbuds
- one-button remote on right earbud for controlling music playback and calls from your phone
- built-in microphone for making calls or voice commands with a smartphone
Charging case, battery information and specs
- built-in rechargeable battery offers 9 hours of listening with noise cancellation (13 hours without)
- carrying case banks up to 9 hours of power to wirelessly recharge headphones
- USB-C charging cable included
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- weight: .6 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WFSP800N/L
What's in the box:
- Left and right in-ear true wireless headphones (blue)
- Charging case (black)
- 4 Pairs of silicone ear tips (1 pair installed)
- 2 Pairs of Arc supporters (1 pair installed)
- 9" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and USB-C on other end)
- Reference Guide
- Operating Instructions
- "For the noise cancelling function" sheet
- Headphones Connect app sheet
- Limited Warranty (US + Canada)
Sony WF-SP800N reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony WF-SP800N
Features & specs
|Fit Style||True Wireless|
|Earcup Width x Height||0.74" x 1.285"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Voice Assistant Access|
|Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony WF-SP800N Wireless Noise Cancelling In-ear Headphones are a stylish way to enjoy your music as you work out. These "true wireless" headphones feature separate left and right ear buds with no connecting wires to get in your way. They have an IP55 rating for dust, moisture, and sweat resistance, so you can work out without worry. The headphones include a protective Charging Case, charging cable, two pairs of "arc supporters," and four pairs of silicone rubber ear tips.
True Wireless Design: The WF-SP800N includes separate left and right ear buds that sit securely in your ears. The Bluetooth pairing, noise cancellation, music playback, and phone controls are located on the outside of each ear bud. When using the Sony Headphones Connect app, you can control many more functions and features on your device.
Driver: Each ear bud has an advanced 6mm dome-type dynamic driver for excellent sound quality. Equipped with Sony's EXTRA BASS™, the WF-SP800N gives you solid and deep bass performance.
Supplied Ear Tips: The in-ear headphones come with four pairs of long hybrid silicone rubber ear tips (large, medium, small, and super-small). The proper fit of the ear tips into your ear canals maximizes the audio performance, and the noise cancellation system. In addition to the ear buds, two pairs of silicone "arc supporters" tuck behind the folds of your outer ear to make sure the headphones stay put.
Bluetooth 5.0: The WF-SP800N has Bluetooth 5.0 for wireless listening from your smartphone, tablet, or Bluetooth music player. Compatible profiles include A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, and HSP, with SBC and AAC supported codecs. Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 30 feet.
Digital Noise Cancellation: While you're listening to music, the microphones on each ear bud capture ambient sounds. When you turn on the Digital Noise Cancellation, an equal-but-opposite cancelling signal is mixed in with the ambient sound, so all you hear is the music. The noise cancelling function is most effective primarily in the low frequency band. You can switch between Digital Noise Cancellation, Ambient Sound Mode, or off using the power button on the left ear bud.
Ambient Sound Mode: Ambient Sound Mode uses the the microphones to amplify the ambient noise picked up by the microphones to make you more aware of your surroundings. Normal mode lets you hear ambient sound as if you were not wearing the headphones. Voice mode allows you to hear voice announcements, such as in an airport or train station. You can switch between the Normal and Voice settings of Ambient Sound Mode using the Sony Headphones Connect app on your smartphone. There is also a Quick Attention Mode, which lets you activate the Ambient Sound Mode quickly by touching and holding the touch pad on the left ear bud. Releasing the touch pad deactivates the Quick Attention Mode.
Sound Quality/Stable Connection Modes: In the Sony Headphones Connect app, you can switch the connection mode, depending upon your listening needs. If you have a weak wireless signal, you can set the headphones to the Priority on Stable Connection Mode. If your signal is strong, you can optimize the sound by switching to the Priority on Sound Quality Mode.
SENSE ENGINE™: The headphones feature SENSE ENGINE™, which automatically detects your activity and your surroundings to adjust the settings for the best listening experience. It has Atmospheric Pressure Optimizing to keep your music sounding great when flying at high altitudes. In the Sony Headphones Connect app, you can customize the settings to allow you to hear more or less of your surroundings as you desire.
360 Reality Audio: The WF-SP800N allows you to enjoy 360 Reality Audio, a new music experience using Sony's object-based spatial audio technology. Individual instruments and vocals are placed in a 360° spherical sound field to give you an immersive listening experience. Music content created in 360 Reality Audio format can be enjoyed through the Sony Headphones Connect app and available music streaming service apps, such as deezer and Tidal.
Voice Assistant Function: The Sony WF-SP800N lets you use your favorite voice assistant, including Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Siri. You will need to set up your Voice Assistant in the Sony Headphones Connect app. You can access your Voice Assistant by pressing and holding the power button on the assigned ear bud touch pad.
Sony Headphones Connect App: The Sony Headphones Connect app gives you control over the sound of your headphones right on your smartphone or tablet. Through the app, you can turn noise cancellation on/off and set the Ambient Sound Mode. You can also select from available presets for the Equalizer, and control your music (volume up/down, play/pause, skip forward/backward, fast forward/backward). The Sony Headphones Connect app is compatible with iOS devices (iOS 11.0 or later) and Android devices (Android 5.0 and up), as well as Windows and Mac.
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony WF-SP800N in-ear headphones are equipped with 3.7-volt Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries in each ear bud to power the Bluetooth and Noise Cancelling functions. The ear bud batteries are charged in the included charging case, which includes it own rechargeable battery. The ear buds cannot be charged without the case. The ear buds require approximately 2.5 hours to fully charge, while the case takes about 3 hours. A 10-minute quick-charge provides enough power for approxomately 60 minutes of playback time. The batteries charge via USB using the included USB-C cable. With a fully charged battery in the charging case, you can fully charge the ear buds 1 additional time for a total of 18 hours of listening (with Noise Cancelling on) or 26 hours (NC off). (See battery life estimates below in Specifications.)
- Battery Life (estimated):
- Music Playback:
- Noise Cancelling On: 9 hours max.
- Ambient Sound Mode On: 9 hours max
- Noise Cancelling/Ambient Sound Mode Off: 13 hours max.
- Communication Time:
3.5 hours max.
- Noise Cancelling On: 7 hours max.
- Ambient Sound Mode On: 7 hours max
- Noise Cancelling/Ambient Sound Mode Off: 8 hours max.
- Standby Time:
- Noise Cancelling On: 15 hours max.
- Ambient Sound Mode On: 15 hours max
- Noise Cancelling/Ambient Sound Mode Off: 35 hours max.
- Bluetooth Transmission Range (A2DP): 20Hz - 20kHz (44.1 kHz sampling)
- Ear Buds: Width 0.74" Height 1.285" Depth 1.053"
- Charging Case: Width 3.361" Height 2.056" Depth 1.348"
- Ear Buds: 0.35 ounces each
- Charging Case: 2.05 ounces (empty)