About the Sony WH-XB700 EXTRA BASS™
Bring the bass, not the cord
The Sony WH-XB700 EXTRA BASS headphones play music wirelessly and deliver head-nodding bass.
Bring the bass, not the cord
We all need a little extra bass now and then. Earlier this year I interviewed Tomo Sato, the current head of Sony's Walkman division, and we swapped memories of the old-school Walkman cassette player. I fondly remember mashing that MEGA BASS button on my Walkman when I bumped Nas, Biggie, and Wu-Tang tapes back in the day. Fast forward to today, and Sony's still bringing that low-end excitement.
The Sony WH-XB700 on-ear Bluetooth headphones are arguably some of the best we carry when it comes to producing deep, powerful bass. And they offer up to 30 hours of battery life. So you can listen as you move through your busy day — or night — without worrying about recharging.
How much bass? You choose
Of couse it's not always about getting more bass, but getting just the right amount. What plays well with Pusha T may not register with Radiohead. When you listen in "standard" mode, the MDR-XB700s deliver solid, complementary low end. But when you need your music to knock, push the Bass Boost button on the earcup.
Made to feel and sound good
Both the earpads and cushioned headband are built for optimal comfort and acoustics. The fit is pressure-free, so you can wear these 'phones for long periods of time. They're also built sturdy, which minimizes vibration, and creates a tight seal for serious bass impact.
Easy earcup controls for music and calls
Buttons on the left ear cup let you control your music and volume. If a call comes through, simply hit the answer button and talk through the built-in microphone. The kicker? Your phone can stay in your pocket the whole time.
- closed-back, on-ear design helps seal out external noise
- slim, lightweight form factor
- 30mm dynamic drivers with dedicated bass duct for low-end punch
- EXTRA BASS Boost offers enhanced low-frequency response
- Bluetooth 4.2 connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls with compatible smartphones
- aptX and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 30 hours of use
- free Sony Headphones Connect app for Apple® and Android™ lets you customize sound settings
- earcup controls let you answer calls, play/pause music, skip tracks, and control volume
- built-in microphone for making calls with a smartphone
- includes USB-C cable for charging
- 47" detachable miniplug cable for wired listening
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 95 dB
- impedance: 37 ohms
- weight: 6.7 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # WHXB700/L
What's in the box:
- Wireless on-ear headphones (blue)
- 8" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and Type C USB on other end)
- 48" Audio cable with right angled 3.5mm plug
- Operating Instructions
- Reference Guide
- Google Assistant card
- Warranty Sheet (US + Canada)
Sony WH-XB700 EXTRA BASS™ reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony WH-XB700 EXTRA BASS™
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.207" x 3.207"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||5-22k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
EXTRA BASS: The Sony WH-XB700 Wireless On-ear Headphones feature EXTRA BASS with enhanced low-end performance. The PET (Mylar) dome-type 30mm drivers provide deep, punchy bass, while maintaining vocal clarity.
Bluetooth/NFC: The WH-XB700 has Bluetooth 4.2 for wireless listening from your smartphone, tablet, or Bluetooth music player. The headphones are compatible with A2DP, AVRCP, HFP, and HSP profiles, and feature SBC, AAC, and aptX codecs for enhanced wireless sound quality. For NFC-enabled devices, you can easily pair to the headphones by simply touching the device to the N-mark on the left earcup of the headphones. The Bluetooth wireless range is approximately 30 feet.
Passive Operation: The headphones offer a passive option for those times when you can't listen wirelessly or the built-in battery is exhausted. Simply plug the included 4' cable into your source device and the headphones, and you can listen without worry.
Note: During passive operation, the on-board controls are defeated. You must control your music from the source device.
DSEE: Sony's Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE) is used to makes your compressed audio files sound better. When audio files are compressed, much of the high-frequency sounds are lost, making your music sound flat and lifeless. DSEE restores both high-frequency signals and fine fade-out sound, giving your music a more natural and expansive quality.
Voice Assistant: You can access your favorite Voice Assistant directly through the headphones. The WH-XB700 is compatible with both Alexa and Google Assistant. Using the built-in microphone, you can connect to your smartphone's voice assistant access entertainment and information, listen to music, set reminders, get notifications, and connect with friends, all with the power of your voice.
Sony Headphones Connect App: The Sony Headphones Connect app gives you control over the sound of your headphones right on your smartphone or tablet. The app lets you select from available presets for the Surround VPT, such as Arena, Club, Outdoor Stage, and Concert Hall. The Sony Headphones Connect app is compatible with iOS devices (iOS 11.0 or later) and Android devices (Android 5.0 and up).
Note: Not all features of the app are compatible with the WH-XB700 headphones.
Rechargeable Battery: The Sony WH-XB700 over-ear headphones are equipped with a 3.7-volt Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery to power the Bluetooth wireless functions. The battery fully charges in approximately 4 hours via USB using the included USB-C cable. With a 10-minute Quick Charge, you can get about 90 minutes of music playback. (See battery life estimates below in Specifications.)
- Frequency Response:
- Wired: 5Hz to 22kHz
- Wireless: 20Hz to 20kHz
- Sensitivity: 103dB/mW (wired)
- Impedance: 22Ω (wired)
- Full Charging Time: approx. 4 hours
- Battery Life (estimated):
- Music Playback: 30 hours max
- Communications: 30 hours max
- Standby: 200 hours
- Ear Cups: Diameter 3.207" Depth 1.812"
- Headband: Width 1.019"
- Weight: 6.9 ounces (w/o cable)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?