About the Sony XAV-AX1000
Superior iPhone® control and sound
Superior iPhone® control and sound
I've clocked a lot of miles with a Sony XAV receiver in my dash, and thanks to Apple CarPlay™, the fun never stops. If you're an iPhone user like me, this Sony XAV-AX1000 digital multimedia receiver makes in-dash smartphone control familiar with an Apple-designed app-based interface and integrated Siri® control. It automatically detects the phone you're using, so you won't have to mess with menus. Once you take a trip with CarPlay, you'll wonder how you ever got by without it.
Large icons on the screen help you find what you want with just a glance.
Let Siri help
With built-in Bluetooth® connectivity, this smartphone-friendly receiver creates a wireless link between your mobile device and your car's audio system, allowing you to stream the music and podcasts you love. With a compatible iPhone®, you can use your voice to control Siri Eyes Free through the receiver. You'll be able to control music, maps, calls, and messages just by talking to Siri. When Siri talks back, you'll hear the response through the car's speakers.
SiriusXM-ready and more
If you're looking for radio stations that won't disappear when you head into the hills, add a SiriusXM tuner and enjoy satellite radio's rich selection of programs wherever you go. A highly sensitive AM/FM tuner will catch all your local stations. This Sony also offers easy touchscreen control of media from an external sources via USB or aux input.
Experience Sony quality
Built-in amplification brings depth and dynamics to your music. Sony lets you take full advantage of this new, full sound with a 10-band equalizer. Fine-tune the acoustics in your vehicle, quickly access preset tone curves to get the sound you want, and use Sony's Extra Bass to enhance the thump you expect from your favorite tunes.
Touch and turn
Touchscreen control is a wonderful thing, especially on this big 6.2" screen, but if you're a little old school (like me), you appreciate a volume knob. Sony assigns double duty to their knob, letting you access the receiver's extensive sound control menus with just a push of the dial. You'll hold that same button to use voice commands for your smartphone.
Room to expand
A front-facing USB port and aux input make listening tunes on other devices like flash drives or an old mp3 player so convenient.
Adding on a rear-view camera? The XAV-AX1000 comes with a dedicated rear camera input. Customizable guide lines on the screen will help you back up with confidence, even if you're piloting a large SUV.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This digital multimedia receiver will not play CDs.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- 6.2" LCD touchscreen display
- built-in amplifier (20 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming (external mic included)
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- compatible with Siri Eyes Free
- works with Apple CarPlay
- high- and low-pass filters
- EQ5 10-band equalizer
- subwoofer controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- 5-channel preamp outputs (front, rear, sub)
- inputs: front USB input, front aux input, rear-view camera input
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XAVAX1000
What's in the box:
- Digital media receiver w/ 6.2" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RM-X170)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle mono-3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 4 ISO-screws
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty Sheet
More details on the Sony XAV-AX1000
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (front)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||20 watts|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||7 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Apple CarPlay: Use all your essential iPhone functions on the road, with Apple CarPlay and your iPhone 5 or newer (running iOS 7.1 or higher). Connect your phone via an Apple-certified Lightning-to-USB cable, and you'll see a familiar interface displayed clearly on the Sony receiver's touchscreen. Simply tap the icons to take calls, check voicemails and text messages, or bring up maps. And of course, listen to your favorite songs using iTunes, Apple Music, or select music apps. Apple CarPlay even lets you talk with Siri to control everything using voice commands. You can dictate text messages, control music playback, or get directions, without ever taking your eyes off the road.
- Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Sony receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Sony receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include (fees may apply):
- Apple CarPlay is compatible with iPhone 5 or newer running iOS 7.1 or higher version.
- Bluetooth hands-free communication cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone. However, you can stream Bluetooth audio from a currently paired device while using Apple CarPlay Maps.
USB MSC (Mass Storage Class) Playback: The Sony XAV-AX1000's front-panel USB (type-A) port supports connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device, like a thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. You'll be able to playback a variety of audio, video, and photo files on your compatible USB MSC device through the Sony receiver, as well as control playback and view song/artist information with album art. See chart below for compatible files -
|File System||FAT 12/16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3:
sampling frequency of 32-48kHz with bit rate of 48-320kbps |
WMA: sampling frequency of 44.1kHz with bit rate of 48-192kbps
AAC: sampling frequency of 8-48kHz with bit rate of 40-320kbps
WAV: sampling frequency of 8-48kHz with bit depth of 16/24-bits
FLAC: sampling frequency of 8-48kHz with bit depth of 16-bits
resolution of 1280 x 720 with max frame rate of 30fps |
MPEG-4: max resolution of 1280 x 720 with max frame rate of 30fps
MKV: max resolution of 1280 x 720 with max frame rate of 30fps
WMV: max resolution of 720 x 480 with max frame rate of 30fps
|Photo||JPEG: 6,048 x 4,032 (24,000,000 pixels)|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||256 folders/2,000 files|
|Tags||ID3, WMA, & AAC tags + Album Art|
Note: This unit's USB port does not support connection of an Android device, USB hub, or USB card-reader.
Smartphone Charging: The Sony receiver's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPhone or other smartphone device when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPhone or smartphone device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Bluetooth 3.0: The Sony XAV-AX1000 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 3.0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.1 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony XAV-AX1000. Please visit Sony eSupport for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Simple Secure Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony XAV-AX1000 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. This unit can only be paired and connected with one Bluetooth device at a time.
Note: Bluetooth pairing is not possible while Apple CarPlay is being used.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Sony XAV-AX1000 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The unit features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the XAV-AX1000 provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The controls of the XAV-AX1000 can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's touchscreen. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the XAV-AX1000, you can dial a
phone number in a variety of ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing from the unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can transfer up to 1,000 contacts from your phone's phonebook and store them in the head unit for easy access using the unit's touchscreen monitor.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Redial: Use this feature to easily redial the last number you called.
- Phone Call Adjustments: During a conversation, you can adjust the ring-tone volume, adjust the caller's voice volume level, adjust the microphone gain level, as well as switch between the Hands-Free Mode and the Hands-Held Mode (talking directly on your cell phone).
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Sony XAV-AX1000 also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. You can stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content from your Bluetooth source device to the XAV-AX1000. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
- SBC & AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the XAV-AX1000 offers support of AAC codecs for higher quality audio streaming from select Apple devices. By supporting AAC, the receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Advanced Music Playback: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the XAV-AX1000 lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. Advanced music browsing is supported by Android 4.0+ smartphones and Apple iPhones 5.0+ (specific advanced functions vary by phone).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (no album art).
Optional SiriusXM Tuner: The Sony XAV-AX1000 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony XAV-AX1000 is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- BSM (Best Station Memory): BSM (Best Tuning Memory) selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- RDS: FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal. Radio Data System (RDS) displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations.
Auxiliary Input: A front-panel stereo minijack (3.5mm) input is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system.
Note: This Aux input is for audio only and does not support video.
Rearview Camera Input: The Sony XAV-AX1000 is equipped with a composite video rearview camera input to connect a backup camera (sold separately). By connecting a backup camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen monitor to see what's behind you when backing up.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a backup camera is connected and you are viewing a rearview image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines. The parking guide lines can be customized to fit your type of vehicle better.
- Auto-Switching: When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera; the purple/white wire of the included harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.1 seconds. You can also manually select the rearview camera input from the head units touchscreen..
Note: The rearview camera feature is meant as a backup aid only; never solely rely on the rearview camera when backing up. In addition to using the rearview camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Dynamic Reality Amp 2: The Dynamic Reality Amp 2 gives you 20W (RMS) x 4ch / 55W (Peak) x 4ch of power, so you can play music as loudly or softly as you like with clarity and detail. The amp has 47% less internal resistance than conventional units, for increased output and clear, natural sound at any volume.
- Continuous Power Output: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (220 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony XAV-AX1000 are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
5ch/2V Preouts+ Subwoofer Control: The XAV-AX1000 contains five 2-volt RCA preouts; a front channel pair, rear channel pair, and mono-subwoofer channel. The front and rear channel preouts can be faded, while the subwoofer preout is non-fading. You can adjust the subwoofer preout's volume level (-10 to +10) independently from the head unit's volume control. You can also select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Low-Pass & High-Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer preout features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz. The front & rear speaker high-level and low-level outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
10-Band EQ: You can select from a variety of preset EQ curves. Select from R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, Electronica, Jazz, Soul, Country, Custom, & Off. The Custom EQ preset mode allows you to tailor the sound to your personal preference with its 10-band graphic equalizer. Cut and boost ten different frequencies (32, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k Hz) from -10 to +10 for unlimited sound sculpting options.
Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO): Sound waves are directional, so if your speakers are in your doors or under your dash, the audio may seem muddy or unclear. Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO) adjusts the signal, improving the stereo positioning so music sounds like it's coming from the dashboard
ExtraBass: Activate ExtraBass at the touch of a button for an instant, low-end boost. Unlike conventional bass boosters, ExtraBass minimizes distortion at all volume levels by automatically adjusting frequency and gain to their optimal positions.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation (only when using the receiver's built-in amp). This function can be turned On or Off.
6.2" Touchscreen w/ Gesture Control: The Sony XAV-AX1000 digital media receiver is equipped with a 6.2" touchscreen with full-color display, responsive touch-sensitive control, and a resolution of 800 RGB x 480 (1,152,000 pixels). With Gesture Control, you can perform frequently-used operations by simply swiping your finger on the touchscreen monitor to the left, right, up, or down (these Gesture Controls do not work with Apple CarPlay).
- Wallpaper: You can choose between five color wallpapers (Purple, Blue, Green, Red, Black) for the background image of the unit's touchscreen monitor; or download a custom image from an inserted USB thumbdrive.
- Picture EQ: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, or Custom. This feature is only available when the parking brake is engaged and USB video is the selected source.
- Aspect Ratio: You can also change the screen's aspect ratio to suit your video content. You can choose from Normal, Zoom, Full, or Captions. This feature is only available when the parking brake is engaged and USB video is the selected source.
- Dimmer: To change the brightness of the display you can set the Sony receiver to one of two dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), or Dimmer On (display always dim). You can adjust the dimmer level from -5 to +5.
Note: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. Video can only be displayed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still enjoy CarPlay and Bluetooth, as well as access audio adjustments.
3-Way Rotary Dial: In addition to touchscreen control, the Sony head unit features a 3-way rotary dial and one push-button control along the left side of the front-panel. The ergonomic rotary dial makes operation distraction-free. Turn it to control volume, or push the integrated button to launch sound control menus. Alternatively, hold the button to use voice commands. The push-button provides access to the receiver's home menu, as well as attenuates the receiver's audio.
Remote Control: The Sony XAV-AX1000 comes with an IR wireless remote control and supports compatibility with steering wheel remote adapters (sold separately).
- IR Remote: The included IR remote (RM-X170) provides wireless control of the Sony receiver. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth Phone) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
- SWC Input: This receiver is compatible with aftermarket steering wheel audio control adapters (sold separately) designed to retain your vehicles existing factory steering wheel controls (if equipped) once the factory radio is replaced with an aftermarket head unit. Its 3.5mm rear-panel mounted SWC input jack allows for simple connectivity (other hardwire connections may be required).
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
23 questions already asked