About the Sony XAV-60
Bring audio/video entertainment into your car with Sony's XAV-60 DVD receiver. Its high-resolution 6.1" WVGA touchscreen offers outstanding video performance, and you can connect, control, and charge a variety of portable music players through the receiver's USB input. The two A/V inputs let you connect a couple of external video sources, like game consoles.
DVD, CD, and much more
Slide a DVD into the front slot to enjoy movies or videos when you're parked, or insert a CD or DVD loaded with MP3, WMA, or AAC music files for hours of audio entertainment. Sony's SensMe technology analyzes your music, then organizes it into playlists designed for different moods.
Your iPod® can plug into the USB input for direct control and playback of audio files, plus you can add Sony's optional cable for playback of your iPod video content.
Find files fast
Use the receiver's click or touch-screen controls to search for music by Playlist, Artists, Album, Genre, Track, or Podcast. You can switch to Passenger Control mode if you or your passengers prefer using the iPod's controls.
Sony sound quality
A powerful MOSFET amp combines with a premium digital-to-analog converter to deliver strong, clean sound. You can adjust the EQ7 7-band equalizer to optimize the acoustics in your vehicle, or use the built-in digital signal processing to enhance the sound of compressed music files.
Sony's Advanced Sound Engine (ASE) makes your DVD's multi-channel soundtrack sound its best. The Intelligent Time Alignment system creates perfectly balanced sound, while the Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO) creates a virtual center channel for a true-to-life 5.1 listening experience.
Add on and enjoy
For more listening options, add a Sony HD Radio tuner or satellite radio. If you're putting together a heavyweight system with external amps, you'll appreciate the three sets of high-voltage preamp outputs and the built-in high- and low-pass filters.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Sony stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Sony, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver.
- DVD receiver with internal amp (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.1" touchscreen
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- MP3, WMA, and AAC file playback
- Dolby® Digital playback
- Advanced Sound Engine (ASE) features Intelligent Time Alignment (ITA), plus Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO) for a virtual center channel
- high- and low-pass filters for preamp outputs
- EQ7 7-band equalizer
- bass boost
- built-in iPod control Sony's optional adapter required for viewing video content
- compatible with Sony HD Radio tuner and satellite radio
- inputs: rear USB input, two rear A/V inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 5-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
What's in the box:
- DD in-dash multimedia headunit (10A ATC fuse inserted in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- Auxiliary/preamp-output harness
- 40" AV cable (with a female composite video/stereo RCA jacks on one end and a male composite video/stereo RCA connector on other end)
- RM-X170 remote control (with installed CR2025 3V lithium battery)
- 8 Mounting screws
- Content Transfer/SensMe Setup CD-ROM
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Installation/Connections booklet (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Limited Warranty sheet
Sony XAV-60 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony XAV-60
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
2-DIN Chassis: The Sony XAV-60 has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as Double DIN or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. The unit does not come with a mounting sleeve to Euro-mount the radio.
Note: As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
6.1" WVGA Touchscreen Display: The Sony XAV-60 features a fixed 6.1" wide, 16:9 touchscreen display with a TFT active matrix system. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
Background Adjustments: You can select the screen theme, visualizer, and picture brightness (Day/Night/Auto) for the unit's background screen according to your preference.
Note: The Auto Brightness function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player's harness.
Picture EQ: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, Sepia, or Custom (1/2). The Custom (1/2) Picture EQ modes allow you to make your won picture quality settings by adjusting the picture tones manually. You can adjust the Brightness, Color, and Color Tone (warm/normal/cool).
Aspect Ratio: You can change the screen's aspect ratio to suit your video content. You can choose from Normal, Wide, Full, or Zoom.
Multi-Language Display: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. You can select the language which is best suited to your first language - English, French, and Spanish.
Track List: The Sony XAV-60 displays a list of albums, folders, tracks, images, or video files stored on a disc or USB device, so you can quickly search your audio/video content.
Gesture Commands: You can perform frequently-used operations by making command strokes across the XAV-60's touchscreen display.
Front Panel Controls: In addition to the headunit's touchscreen controls, the XAV-60 also offers a rotary knob and hard-key buttons along the left side of the screen.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied 22-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Security Code: This unit has a 4-digit security code function to discourage theft. Once the security function is activated, you need to enter the security code to turn on the unit after reinstalling the unit in another car or charging the battery.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
True Fidelity Sound Construction: The Sony XAV-60 AV Center features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Sony XAV060 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
CEA2006 Compliant Amplifier: The power specifications for the Sony XAV-60 are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the XAV-60 are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 52 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
5CH Preamp Outputs: The Sony XAV-60 is equipped with 2-volt Front, Rear, and Sub pre-amp outputs with selectable LPF/HPF (Low Pass Filter/High Pass Filter) functionality, giving you the ability to customize the sound output to your external amplifiers.
- High-Pass Filter: The front and rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
- Low Pass Filter: The subwoofer output is non-fading with a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the subwoofer preamp output's Phase (Normal/Reverse).
EQ7: You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types - Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom EQ7 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-8) of seven different frequency bands - 62Hz, 157Hz, 396Hz, 1kHz, 2.5khz, 6.3khz, and 16kHz.
Sound Balance/Fader: The sound balance between the left and right speakers (Balance) and front and rear speakers (Fader) can be adjusted to your preference. You can also adjust the volume level (+/-6) of the subwoofer preamp output.
ASE (Advanced Sound Engine): The Sony XAV-60 offers multi-channel playback with its Advanced Sound Engine, featuring Intelligent Time Alignment (ITA) and Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO) to create a virtual 5.1 listening experience to rival the most advanced home theater equipment.
- ITA (Intelligent Time Alignment): This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker and subwoofer to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound filed with the felling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. The options for the Listening Positions are - Front Left, Front Right, Front Center, All, Custom, or Off. The Custom ITA mode allows you to precisely calibrate your listening position from each speaker so that the sound delay reaches the listener more correctly. measure the distance between your listening position and each speaker and the speaker distance from 0 to 13.1' (in 0.8125" increments). You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far.
- CSO (Center Speaker Organizer): To fully enjoy surround sound, it is adequate to have 5 speakers (front left/right, rear left/right, center) and 1 subwoofer. CSO allows you to create a virtual center channel speaker even though a real center speaker is not connected.
RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
Speaker Level: You can adjust the volume level of each connected speaker - Front Right, Front Left, Rear Right, Rear Left, and Subwoofer.
Dolby D Level: You can adjust the audio output level for a DVD recorded in Dolby Digital format, to reduce the volume level differences between disc and source.
Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Compression): The Audio DRC function makes the sound clear when the volume is low. Audio DRC only works on Dolby Digital DVD discs.
Beep Tone: The in-dash headunit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Tuner: The Sony XAV-60 features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek and preset tuning.
Preset Tuning: The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
Auto Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available stations and then choose your own presets from these available stations.
Local Seek Mode: In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning.
Mono Mode: The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal.
IF Filter: You can switch the tuner's IF filter to "Auto" to narrow automatically the reception frequency to eliminate unwanted noise, or "Wide" to always hear FM stereo broadcasts with full frequency signal reception.
RDS: Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
HD Radio Ready: The Sony XAV-60 is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (158XT100HD, sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Note: Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (HDRadio.com).
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional satellite radio receiver to this head unit:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner and the optional SNYSC1 Sony interface module (package item number 700SIRSONY, sold separately). You can also connect select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios to the headunit via the Sony SNYSC1 interface module (607SNYSC1, sold separately) and the SiriusConnect Plug & Play Dock (607SCVDOC1, sold separately).
- XM Satellite: To receive XM Satellite Radio connect the optional CNP2000UCA XM Tuner and the Sony CNP-SON1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMSON2, sold separately).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Compatible Discs : The Sony XAV-60 supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-/+R DL, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, CD-ROM, and VCD discs.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The Sony XAV-60 allows you to playback CD-Rs, CD-RWs, CD-ROMs loaded with MP3 (48-192 kbps), WMA (64-192 kbps), or AAC (40-320 kbps) songs recorded in ISO 9660 level 1 or 2, Joliet/Romeo, or Multi-Session. The XAV-60 can support up 256 folders, and a combined 2,000 folders and files on a disc. The headunit will also display song information for MP3 (15/30/63/126-characters), WMA (63-characters), and AAC (126-characters) music files.
Note: Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
JPEG/MPEG-4 Playback: This unit can play back JPEG (720 x 480) still image files recorded onto DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W discs. The unit also supports video playback of MPEG-4 (720 x 480/30fps) NTSC video files recorded onto DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W discs.
Zappin: With the Zappin feature, you can play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your CD or connected USB device.
Direct Search: You can directly locate a desired point on a disc by specifying the title number, chapter number, track, image, or file.
Repeat and Shuffle Play: The Sony XAV-60 provides Repeat and Shuffle playback modes for various media content.
- Repeat: DVD (Title/Chapter), CD/VCD (Track), MP3/WMA/AAC (Track/Album), JPEG (Image/Album), MPEG-4 (Movie/Album).
- Shuffle: DVD (Title), CD/VCD (Disc), MP3/WMA/AAC/JPEG/MPEG-4 (Album)
Multi-Disc Resume: The Sony XAV-60 can store the playback resume settings in its memory for up to 5 DVD discs.
Parental Control: you can lock a disc, or set playback restrictions according to a predetermined level such as viewer age. Restriction levels can also be set depending on the area and its movie ratings. Restricted scenes can be blocked or replaced with different scenes when a parental control compatible DVD is played.
Off Load/Eject: The CD disc can be loaded and ejected with the power off.
Auto Reload: The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Mounting Angle: For proper DVD/CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees.
USB Input: The receiver's rear-panel Type-A USB input (attached by a 5' pigtail) can be used for plugging in a (MSC) Mass Storage Class or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) type USB device. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3 (48-192kbps), WMA (64-192kbps), or AAC (40-320 kbps) formats. The headunit can recognize up to 256 folders and 2,000 total tracks when connected to a USB device.
Note: This unit cannot recognize USB devices via a USB hub.
iPod/iPhone Connectivity: The rear-panel USB port and AUX 1 video input are compatible with select iPod/iPhone devices when used with the optional P.I.E. SON/USB-200IPV adapter (469200IPV, sold separately). The USB Direct Connection enables high-speed iPod/iPhone data communications via the optional SON/USB-200IPV (2-Wire) interface. One end of the cable plugs directly into your iPod's dock connector while the other end of the cable uses two connectors that plug into the back of the XAV-60. The USB type-A connector portion of the cable plugs into the receiver's USB port and handles the metadata, control, charging, and audio playback of your iPod/iPhone, so you can navigate through your music and video files using the head unit's touchscreen controls and view song and movie info, as well as album art on its display. The composite video connector of the cable plugs into the unit's Aux 1 video input and transfers the video images from your iPod/iPhone to the Sony headunit. If you require audio playback only, you can plug your compatible iPod/iPhone directly into the headunit's rear-panel USB port using your iPod/iPhone's dock connector cable (no additional adapter required).
- USB Connection: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the headunit and sound quality to be maximized through the headunit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 120dB.
- Audio/Video Playback: The Sony multimedia headunit supports both audio/video playback from a compatible iPod or iPhone. Using your iPod or iPhone's USB/Dock cable you can enjoy audio playback of music stored on your iPod or iPhone. Using the optional P.I.E. iPod/iPhone connector cable SON/USB-200IPV (469200IPV, sold separately), you can also enjoy video playback of movies, TV shows, and music videos stored on your iPod or iPhone. Video can only be displayed while the vehicle is in park.
- Media Navigation: The controls of the XAV-60 are seamless when
used with the optional SON/USB-200IPV and include metadata browsing, as well as
the ability to choose from Repeat & Shuffle playback modes to suit your listening application (you can
also choose to control your iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen or clickwheel).
- You can browse your music by Artist, Album, Genre, Playlist, or Podcast. artist/album/genre/playlist/podcast
- You can browse your videos by Movie, Rental, TV Show, Music Video, Playlist, or Podcast.
- Music Information: The multimedia headunit will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information, including - Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, Artist Name, Album Title, and Album Art.
- Charging: While connected and the ignition switch is set to ACC or ON, the headunit's USB connection will power and charge your iPod/iPhone.
Note: If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony XAV-60 and the SON/USB-200IPV iPod adapter cable is 'Made for iPod/iPhone' compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of Dec. 2010):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the headunit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Dual Audio/Video Inputs: The XAV-60 is equipped with two audio/video inputs for connecting an external audio/video source. Each audio/video input consists of a composite video jack and a pair of stereo RCA jacks. You can adjust the audio level of the audio/video inputs from +/-18.
Video Output: There is rear-panel composite video output for connecting for connecting an external display. You can select an aspect ratio suitable for your connected monitor. You can choose from 16:9, 4:3 Letter-Box, or 4:3 Pan&Scan.
Rear View Camera: The Sony XAV-60 is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. The head unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera In jack) when an optional rear camera (sold separately) is installed on your vehicle. When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the purple/white wire in the wiring harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). You can view a Normal or Reversed (mirror) image.
IR Remote Control (RM-X170): The included IR wireless remote (RM-X170) lets you control the basic functions of your system while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The headunit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit to allow you to keep your vehicle's radio steering wheel remote controls when used with the optional PAC SWI-PS Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (127SWIPS, sold separately); or the optional Metra ASWC Steering Wheel Control Interface Adapter (120ASWC, sold separately).
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Content Transfer/SensMe Setup CD-ROM: The included SensMe intuitive music application ,with 12 tone analysis, keeps your USB stored music in tune with your mood. SensMe actually looks at the beats-per-minute and automatically groups your music into channels, making listening and managing all of your content even simpler. You can select and play a channel that fits your mood from the following categories.
- Time of Day: Tracks are recommended for each time of day. Choose from Morning, Daytime, Evening, Night, or Midnight.
- Music Type: Plays tracks according to the music type. Choose from Energetic, Relax, Upbeat, Mellow, Lounge, Emotional, Dance, and Extreme.
- Driving Type: Plays track that are suitable for type of driving. Choose from Freeway, Chillout Drive, Weekend Trip, Midnight Cruise, Party Ride, Morning Commute, and Going Home.
- Mood Map: Distributes tracks as dots on a two-axis mood map, based on the characteristics of individual tracks (last 200 tracks transferred). Simply touch a point on the map according to your Mood (Sad/Happy), Type (Acoustic/Electronic), Style (Soft/Hard), or Time (Morning/Midnight) and a circle appears around the touched point, and the tracks inside that circle are played.
Note: Use of the supplied software (Content Transfer/SensMe Setup) is required to enable the SensMe function on this headunit. The software must be downloaded to your PC (compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7) and your USB device connected to your computer.
System Requirements: Your computer must meet the following system requirements to download the included software.
- OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
- CPU: Intel Pentium III Processor 450 MHz or higher
- Ram: 256 MB or more (Windows XP), 512 MB or more (Windows Vista or later)
- Monitor: High color (16-bit) or more, 800 x 600 dots or more
- Connection: Internet
- Drive: CD-ROM
- Port: USB