About the Sony XAV-68BT
Bluetooth® lets your radio do more
Bluetooth® lets your radio do more
Bluetooth isn't just about hands-free calling. Sony's XAV-68BT DVD receiver adds audio streaming and control to the mix, giving you a wireless link between your mobile device and the receiver. If your iPhone® has Siri, you'll be able to access it through the receiver just by speaking, and hear Siri's response through the car's speakers. And if you're a Pandora® fan with an Android device, you can pair your phone to the XAV-68BT for Pandora control — no need for wires.
The XAV-68BT offers a crisp and attractive interface.
iPhone® and Android™ control
You can plug your iPod, iPhone, or Android phone into the receiver's front USB input for direct control and playback of your music. Or insert a CD or DVD loaded with MP3 or WMA music files for hours of audio entertainment. For video entertainment, slide in a DVD or plug in a USB device to enjoy movies or videos when you're parked.
Optimize your audio
Everybody's familiar with the annoying sound of an underpowered factory radio turned up too loud — no such problem with this Sony. Its powerful amp combines with advanced circuitry to make your discs and digital music sound their best. You can adjust the EQ3 3-band equalizer to optimize the acoustics in your vehicle, or quickly access the eight preset tone curves to adjust your sound on the fly.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
This Sony radio displays a "0" instead of "12" for the hour on its clock. Sony is aware of this, but currently there's no fix for this display quirk.
- DVD/CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in amplifier (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- 6.1" touchscreen
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming (external mic included)
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- remote control
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- Android control through USB
- Pandora control with iPhone and Android
- Siri Eyes Free Control
- plays CDs, DVDs, and USB memory devices (see Details for full capabilities)
- EQ3 3-band equalizer with 8 preset EQ curves
- high- and low-pass filters
- subwoofer controls
- inputs: front USB input, two A/V inputs (front and rear), rear-view camera input
- outputs: video output, 4-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear/sub)
What's in the box:
- DVD receiver w/ integrated 6.1" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- SWC harness
- Remote control (RM-X170)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ visor clip (attached 12' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector)
- 6 ISO mounting screws
- Two-sided tape
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr/Sp)
- Installation/Connections booklet (En/Fr/Sp)
- US Limited Warranty sheet
- Canada Consumer 1 Year Warranty
Sony XAV-68BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony XAV-68BT
Features & specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||No|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA|
AM/FM & Pandora Radio
6.1" Touchscreen Monitor: The Sony XAV-68BT DVD receiver features a 6.1" widescreen (17:9) touchscreen LCD monitor. The WVGA LCD monitor has a high resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB; with 1,152,000 total pixels. The LCD monitor provides touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics and icons, making menu navigation easy.
- Picture EQ: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, or Sepia. You can also change the screen's aspect ratio of the DVD receiver's LCD monitor to suit your video content. You can choose from Normal, Wide, Full, or Zoom.
- Illumination Dimmer: To change the brightness of the display you can set the XAV-68BT to one of two dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), or Dimmer On (display always dim). You can adjust the dimmer level from -5 to +5.
- 12-/24-Hour Clock: The head unit's clock can be set to a 12-hour or 24-hour mode. The clock will be visible during Tuner, Disc, USB, iPod, and Bluetooth playback; as well as from the main menu screen and sub menus. The head unit's clock will display a "0" instead of "12" for the hour; Sony is aware of this, but currently there's no fix for this display quirk.
Note: In addition to the head unit's touchscreen controls, the XAV-68BT also offers a 3-way rotary knob and "HOME-DSPL" push button along the left side of the screen.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. Video can only be displayed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view source information, song/artist information, and menus.
2-DIN Chassis: The Sony XAV-68BT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as "Double-DIN"), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. There is no mounting sleeve provided to Euro- or Custom-mount the in-dash receiver. As always, please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to verify fit with your vehicle.
Bluetooth Technology: The Sony XAV-68BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone (like Apple iPhone or Android) to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile), OPP 1.0 (Object Push Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.2 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony XAV-68BT. Please visit Sony eSupport for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing): With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony XAV-68BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Up to 9 phones or audio devices can be paired with the XAV-68BT, however, only one device can be used at a time. When a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically connects the two units.
Note: Bluetooth and pairing must be turned on in the head unit's menu prior to connection your Bluetooth-enabled device.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Sony XAV-68BT supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled smartphone (like Apple iPhone, Android, and Blackberry). Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The controls of the XAV-68BT can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And, thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the XAV-68BT provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically (between 3-10 seconds) through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name from contact list (no Caller ID) or phone number is displayed on the head unit's LCD. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the XAV-68BT, you can dial a phone number in a variety of ways. You can manually dial phone number using the unit's touchscreen or make call using the voice tags stored in your mobile phone. You'll also be able to access your phonebook (up to 1,000 contacts/3 numbers each, as well as store 6 of your favorite contacts for speed dialing. In addition, the unit stores the last 20 calls, allowing you to select the last dialed/received/missed phone numbers. You can even use its redial function to quickly dial the last number called.
Note: The external microphone features an attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle 3.5mm connector which plugs into the mic input on the rear-panel of the head unit. The microphone comes with a mounting bracket which can be clipped to your vehicle's sun-visor or taped to your dash. The external microphone measures 0.465" (diameter) x 1.425" (depth).
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Song/Artist Info): The Sony XAV-68BT also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone (Like iPhone, Android, or Blackberry). You can stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the XAV-68BT. You'll be able to control basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Fast-Forward/Reverse, and Shuffle/Repeat. The head unit will also display your music's song/artist information; such as Artist name, Song title, and Album title. You will continue to use your Bluetooth-enabled device to control advanced music playback functions. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control: When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Sony XAV-68BT has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply press-and-hold down on the head unit's "HOME/DISPL" button to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the XAV-68BT and its microphone. You can ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will be heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone device. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: You must enable the head unit's "Home/DISPLAY" button for voice command within the head unit's menu before using Siri Eyes Free. The head unit's display will only indicate hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Sony XAV-68BT; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
Compatible Discs: The Sony multimedia head unit has a front loading disc slot to make loading your disc easier, because there is no panel to slide or fold-down. The Sony XAV-68BT supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, and VCD discs. The Sony XAV-68BT supports various audio, photo, & video files recorded onto these discs.
Front-Panel USB Input (Android Compliant): The unit's front-panel USB (type-A) port allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) or USB Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) compliant device; such as your Android smartphone or USB thumbdrive. The Sony XAV-68BT's USB port supports playback & control of a variety music, video, and photo files stored on your USB device through the head unit. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the DVD receiver's USB port (1A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- MSC Playback: The Sony XAV-68BT's USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device, like your older Android smartphone (w/ OS 2.2+ [Froyo/Gingerbread]) or simple thumbdrive device through the head unit.
- MTP Playback (Audio only): The XAV-68BT's USB port also enables playback & control of stored music on your portable USB MTP device, like your newer Android smartphone (w/ OS 4.0+ [Ice Cream Sandwich/Jelly Bean/KitKat]) through the Sony head unit.
Note: You cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Media File Compatibility: The Sony XAV-68BT supports a variety of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto disc or loaded onto a USB device.
|Media Type||Disc (CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW)||USB (MSC/MTP)|
|File System||ISO 9660 level 1/level 2, Joliet/Romeo||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3: bit rate
of 48-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 32-48 kHz |
WMA: bit-rate of 48-192 kbps w/ sampling rate of 44.1 kHz
resolution of 720 x 576 w/ frame rate of 30 fps
(not supported by MTP) |
MPEG-4/AVI: max resolution of 720 x 576 w/ frame rate of 30 fps (not supported by MTP)
|Photo||JPEG: max resolution of 6,048 x 4,032 (not supported by MTP)|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||256 folders/2,000 files|
|Tags||MP3 ID3-tags (ver. 1.x/2.x), WMA-tags|
Playback & Search Functions: You can use the head unit's touchscreen monitor to search folders and audio/video/picture files stored on an inserted disc or connected USB device. In addition, you can use the included remote to enter a track number directly for "Direct Search". You'll also be able to operate basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat from the unit's touchscreen.
Song/Artist Information: The DVD receiver will display your USB device's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, and Artist/Album Name (no Album Art).
Off Eject + Audio Reload: A disc can be ejected with the power off. The DVD receiver will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 15 seconds or more.
iPod Audio Playback: The Sony XAV-68BT's front-panel USB port allows you to connect your iPod/iPhone via the iPod dock or Lightning connector-to-USB cable that comes with your iPod or iPhone (not included with the head unit). This USB 1-Wire for iPod/iPhone connection lets you directly connect, charge, & control select iPod/iPhones via the USB jack on the front of the unit, as well as view metadata like song title & artist name on the front display.
- Bypass iPod DAC: The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a high Signal-to-Noise ratio.
- Music Navigation: The Sony XAV-68BT lets you navigate your iPod/iPhone's music from the head unit touchscreen and front-panel controls. You'll be able to browse your iPod/iPhone's stored music library by Song, Album, Artist, Genre, Playlist or Composer (content in each category is listed alphabetically). The XAV-68BT also supports basic playback functions for stored music and music apps; such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Reverse, Previous/Next Track, and Random/Repeat. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ allow you to continue to use your Apple device's touchscreen so you can access music apps (like Pandora/iHeartRadio); older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist Info: The DVD receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, and Artist/Album Name (no Album Art).The XAV-68BT will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps (like Pandora and iHeartRadio).
- Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. This unit does not charge the iPad. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
Note: The Sony XAV-68BT does not support iPod/iPhone video transfer.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony XAV-68BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 9/24/2014):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Pandora||Album Art||Song/Artist Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony XAV-68BT is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology.
- RDS: Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
- Presets: The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically (BTM). BTM (Best Tuning Memory) selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. To help find what's playing on your preset stations, you can play the first few seconds of each preset radio station until you find the one you want.
Pandora App (for iPhone & Android): The free Pandora App (either from Apple Apps Store or Google Play) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Sony XAV-68BT using your USB-connected Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) or Bluetooth paired Android smartphone. Your compatible mobile device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, or WiFi. You will also need a Pandora music service account. The Sony XAV-68BT provides control over the Pandora music service and displays Artist, Album, and Song information.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada & only available in the United States.
Dynamic Reality Amp w/ 24-Bit DAC The Sony XAV-68BT DVD receiver features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound. In addition, the XAV-68BT is equipped with Sony's Dynamic Reality Amp to produce 3-dimensional sound staging for more realistic sound inside your vehicle. The Sony XAV-68BT also utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior sound quality. The power output specs for the XAV-68BT are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (220 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony XAV-68BT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4ch/2V Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Sony XAV-68BT features two pair of 2.0-volt preamp outputs (Front & Rear/SW). The unit's Rear/SW preamp outputs can be configured as fading rear-channel outputs or a non-fading subwoofer output. When the head unit's Rear/SW preamp output is configured as a subwoofer output, you can adjust the subwoofer output level.
High-Pass & Low-Pass Crossovers: The front & rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, 140Hz, 160Hz, or Off. When the Rear/SW preamp output is configured as a subwoofer output, a low pass crossover is activated with a selectable cut-off frequency of 80Hz, 100Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
Equalizer: The Sony XAV-68BT features an EQ3 Stage 2 equalizer with 8 preset equalizer curves for various types of music. You can choose from Off, R&B, Pop, Rock, Hip-Hop, Dance, Country, or Custom. The Off mode provides a flat response. The Custom mode allows you to manually adjust the Low (60 Hz), Mid (1 kHz), & High (10 kHz) frequencies from +/-10dB.
DVD Audio Level: Use this feature to adjust the audio output level between -10 and +1- for a DVD recorded in Dolby Digital, in order to balance the volume level between discs.
Dual Audio/Video Inputs: The Sony XAV-68BT DVD receiver is fitted with two audio/video inputs. The unit features 3.5mm audio/video input on the front-panel of the head unit for connecting a temporary external A/V source, such as a game console. The front-panel AV input also offers level adjustment (-10 to +15). The head unit's composite video/stereo audio RCA input on the rear-panel can be used to connect a permanent external A/V source, such as a Blu-ray player or mobile TV tuner.
Video Output: There is rear-panel composite video output for connecting an external display. The rear-panel composite video output will display whatever video source is being played on the DVD receiver. You can select an aspect ratio suitable for your connected monitor. You can choose from 16:9, 4:3 Letter-Box, or 4:3 Pan&Scan.
Rear View Camera: The Sony XAV-68BT is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. You can view a Normal or Reversed (mirror) image. The head unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera In jack) when an optional rear camera (such as the 158XAR800C, sold separately) is installed on your vehicle. When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera. The purple/white wire (within the radio's harness), must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 2.5 seconds.
Note: Audio from your music source will continue playing, while the back-up camera is displayed.
IR Remote Control: The Sony multimedia XAV-68BT comes supplied with an IR emote control for easy wireless operation of the head unit. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The Sony XAV-68BT offers built-in steering wheel remote compatibility for non-CAN bus vehicles; like select Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Mazda, Subaru, and Suzuki vehicles (the included 3-wire harness plugs into the head unit's OEM SWC input and will need to be hardwired behind vehicle's steering column). You can configure the steering wheel remote commands from the XAV-68BT's touchscreen. The head unit's OEM steering wheel remote control input is also compatible with optional steering wheel control adapters (sold separately; see accessory list). Please consult Crutchfield's Outfit My Car to see if your vehicle is compatible.
The Sony XAV-68BT replaces these items
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
42 questions already asked