About the Sony XAV-AX8100
Lots to love
Lots to love
If you've been on the fence about upgrading the radio in your vehicle, it's time to hop over. Sony's XAV-AX8100 digital multimedia receiver gives you phone integration essentials like Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay®, plus screen-mirroring capability with WebLink® Cast. But the really exciting thing is that it uses a single-DIN (2" tall) chassis design to unlock awesome, 8.95" touchscreen control for vehicle owners who thought they could never have an interface this big in their dash. This Sony's resistive touchscreen hovers over your dash and you can adjust its angle for the best possible fit. All that, plus extra power, awesome expandability, and quick wake-up when you start the car, help make this stereo an upgrade you won't regret.
Works in most dashes
The XAV-AX8100 comes in two main pieces: a 2" tall chassis and a 8.95" touchscreen. The chassis fits in most single-DIN dash openings, so it'll work great in many older vehicles. When you mount the chassis in your dash opening, the screen offers three-way adjustability so that you don't block essential climate controls upon installation.
Check your dash!
Important Note — The screen measures 9.005 x 5.335". Before ordering, check for possible interference with your dash, your shifter, and all other controls.
What's better than Apple CarPlay? Apple CarPlay on a 8.95" screen! Take your iPhone® experience in the car to the next level with a seamless interface and Siri®-powered voice control you know. Learn more about access to your music library, your phone, messages, navigation, and many third party streaming music apps at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
Android Auto™ and more
Sony builds in Android Auto, an in-car essential for any Android user. You'll have voice control access to Google Maps, weather, music, your phone, text messages, plus easy access to many of your favorite apps. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
With WebLink Cast and a wired connection, you'll be able to mirror your Android or iPhone touchscreen and see it on your stereo's 8.95" display. It's a great way to access apps not supported by Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.
Of course, Sony gives you Bluetooth® as well. Use it to make or receive hands-free phone calls via your smartphone with the included microphone, or stream music from your phone with ease. You can also use the included microphone to activate voice commands for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.
Use the rear USB input to attach your smartphone for use with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, or you can connect a thumb drive with your favorite music, video files, and even lossless FLAC files for a more fulfilling sound. Sony also includes a rear-view camera input and distance guidance display to make the XAV-AX8100 your perfect command center. Sony also includes an HDMI input to incorporate compatible video sources. And this radio is SiriusXM-ready, so you can add a satellite radio tuner and enjoy your favorite music, sports, entertainment, and more anywhere you go.
Awesome power and expandability
Sony gives you impressive signal processing and power built-in, but if you're building a more robust system with an outboard amp, 5-volt preamp outputs supply a satisfyingly clear signal. Plus, you'll have a 10-band graphic EQ, EXTRA BASS, and more sound-sculpting tools to help you dial in the sound you've always wanted in the car.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
Smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- Featured in our article: Best car stereos for 2023
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- 8.95" resistive anti-glare touchscreen with three-way adjustable mount
- fits single-DIN dash openings
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatible
- WebLink Cast for screen-mirroring with Apple and Android devices
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, and FLAC music files
- 10-band graphic equalizer
- high- and low-pass filters
- Extra Bass
- Dynamic Stage Organizer for improving stereo image
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner
- inputs: rear USB port, HDMI input, and rear-view camera input
- outputs: 5-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, mono sub)
- Important Note — Monitor dimensions are 9.005 x 5.335". Before ordering, check for possible interference with your dash.
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- built-in internal amp (20 watts RMS CTA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- wireless remote
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- Quick Wake-up feature for fast turn-on
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XAVAX8100
What's in the box:
Sony XAV-AX8100 owner's manual
- Single-DIN source unit (10A fuse)
- 8.95" Touchscreen monitor
- Wiring harness (attached 6.5' parking brake wire)
- 3-Wire to 3.5mm SWC adapter
- 52" USB extension cable
- 23" USB extension cable
- Remote control (RM-X170)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ visor-bracket (attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle mono-3.5mm connector)
- Surface bracket
- Two-sided tape
- Four M5x8mm ISO-screws
- Four M4x6mm machine screws
- M3x8mm machine screw
- Hook-and-loop cable-tie
- 2 Rear-panel covers
- Cable-cover (pre-installed)
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty Information
- Installation Note
Sony XAV-AX8100 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sony XAV-AX8100
Features & specs
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear)|
|USB Port Power||1.5A|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|iPhone||5 and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||20 watts|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Screen Type||Basic (Resistive)|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||7 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,FLAC,WAV|
Touchscreen & Remote Control
CarPlay, Android Auto, & WebLink
USB, HDMI, & Camera Integration
Audio & DSP Section
AM/FM Radio + SiriusXM-Ready
Touchscreen & Remote Control
8.95" Touchscreen Monitor: The Sony XAV-AX8100 includes an oversized 8.95" anti-glare touchscreen LCD monitor that makes everything easier to control and see at a glance for safer use on the road. The 8.95" touchscreen monitor has a resolution of 800 RGB x 480 (1,152,000 pixels) and responsive touch-sensitive controls. The 8.95" touchscreen display seamlessly hovers over your dashboard and works in a single-DIN opening thanks to the separate in-dash source unit. The separate in-dash source unit mounts in your vehicle's single-DIN opening and the monitor secures to the front of the source unit with the included hardware.
- Mounting Adjustments: The 8.95" touchscreen monitor's sturdy mount can be adjusted in three directions to allow for flexible installation in a wide variety of vehicles (adjustments must be made prior to final installation and cannot be done during operation). The sturdy flexible mount allows you to adjust the tilt (+/- 10 degrees), depth (1.5625"Min / 2.375"Max), and height (2.375") of the touchscreen monitor to accommodate your vehicle's dash. When installing the oversized monitor, ensure access to your vehicle's original equipment is not obstructed and make sure the unit does not obstruct your field of vision.
- Picture Adjustments: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, or Custom. To change the brightness of the display you can set the Sony receiver to one of two dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), or Dimmer On (display always dim). You can adjust the dimmer level from -5 to +5. You can also choose between five color wallpapers (Purple, Blue, Green, Red, Black) for the background image of the unit's touchscreen monitor. You can even change the screen's aspect ratio to suit your video content from a USB MSC device. You can choose from Normal (4:3), Zoom (Letter Box), Full (16:9), or Captions.
Note: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. Video can only be displayed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off) - you can still enjoy CarPlay, Android Auto, & Bluetooth, as well as access audio adjustments.
Single-DIN Source Unit: The included source unit fits in a standard 2" single-DIN opening (applicable kit, harness, etc. will be required and sold separately for your vehicle). Once the source unit is mounted in the dash, the 8.95" touchscreen monitor attaches to the front of the source unit using the included hardware. All of the XAV-AX8100's inputs and outputs (except for USB) are found on the rear-panel of the source unit. The USB port is located on the back of the touchscreen monitor.
Note: The Sony XAV-AX8100 will not fit in some vehicles with a single-DIN opening due to its large 8.95" touchscreen monitor interfering with your vehicle's factory equipment on the dash.
Front-Panel Buttons: Tactile push-button controls along the bottom edge of the 8.95" touchscreen monitor provide instant access to commonly-used features such as volume, source, sound settings and voice control for safe and easy operation on the road.
Remote Control: The Sony XAV-AX8100 comes with an IR wireless remote control and supports compatibility with steering wheel remote adapters (sold separately).
- IR Remote: The included IR remote (RM-X170) provides wireless control of the Sony receiver. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth Phone) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
- SWC Input: This receiver is compatible with aftermarket steering wheel audio control adapters (sold separately) designed to retain your vehicles existing factory steering wheel controls (if equipped) once the factory radio is replaced with an aftermarket head unit.
CarPlay, Android Auto, & WebLink
Apple CarPlay: Use all your essential iPhone functions on the road, with Apple CarPlay and your iPhone 5 or newer (running iOS 7.1 or higher). Connect your phone via an Apple-certified Lightning-to-USB cable to the receiver's rear-panel USB port (located on back of the touchscreeen monitor), and you'll see a familiar interface displayed clearly on the Sony receiver's touchscreen. Simply tap the icons to take calls, check voicemails and text messages, or bring up maps. And of course, listen to your favorite songs using iTunes, Apple Music, or select music apps. Apple CarPlay even lets you talk to Siri to control everything using voice commands. You can dictate text messages, control music playback, or get directions, without ever taking your eyes off the road.
- Maps: Through Apple CarPlay, the power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have their own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone: With Apple CarPlay, you can use the XAV-AX8100's interactive touchscreen or ask Siri to make calls, return calls, and check voicemail. To dial a phone number, simply tap the "Phone" icon and Siri will ask you who you want to call. Using the touchscreen you can manually enter a phone number from the on-screen keypad, scroll through contacts, or select from recent and miss calls. In addition, you get access to your voicemails via touchscreen and Siri. When a call comes in, simply tap the "Phone" icon to answer. You'll carry on your side of the conversation through the included external microphone, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can emphasize or weaken the volume level of the microphone. You can also select which car speaker outputs the caller audio; you can select Front, Rear, or All.
- Text Messages: Apple CarPlay also lets you enjoy a better and safer way of text messaging with friends and family when you're on the road, through the Sony receiver and Siri. Through your voice commands, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages so that you never have to glance at your phone while behind the wheel. When a new message comes in a banner will come across the screen and Siri will read back the message for you. Text messages cannot be read or typed from the head unit's touchscreen to prevent driver distraction.
- Music Library: CarPlay lets you access your music in your iPhone's music library, plus Apple Music from the Sony XAV-AX8100. You can browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Song, etc.. just like you would on your iPhone from the XAV-AX8100's touchscreen. You can also use Siri to find and play back your music. The XAV-AX8100's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background. Tap the Now Playing icon on the Sony receiver's capacitive touchscreen and see song, artist, album information with Album Art displaying in the background. From the Now Playing screen you also get basic playback function, like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Repeat/Shuffle.
- Audio Apps & Podcasts: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, podcasts, sports, news, and audiobooks - including Pandora, Tidal, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, Slacker Radio, Vox, Stitcher, MLB.com At Bat, CBS Radio News, NPR One, OverCast, Audiobooks.com & Audible (subscriptions and fees may app). Control them from the head unit's touchscreen or Siri just like you would from your iPhone. Your iPhone's touchscreen remains unlocked during CarPlay connection, so you are able to access additional music apps and listen to them through the Sony receiver; however these apps offer no control or display information from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- Apple CarPlay is compatible with iPhone 5 or newer running the latest iOS version.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected Apple iPhone.
Android Auto: Thanks to Android Auto, you can connect your Android OS 5.0 (Lollipop) or later smartphone via a USB cable to the Sony receiver's rear-panel USB port (located on back of the touchscreen monitor) and operate many of the major functions of your Android phone through the Sony head unit's touchscreen (your phone also must be paired via Bluetooth to the receiver and your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged for initial setup). Get traffic information, lane guidance, and real-time navigation assistance from Google maps right from the Sony receiver. You can even send text messages, take calls, or check your voicemail through Android Auto and the Sony receiver. Android Auto also includes voice-recognition technology, so you can control everything just by speaking. Get directions, send messages, make calls, and control music while keeping your hands safely on the wheel.
- Google Assistant: The Sony receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Sony receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Sony receiver via YouTube Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and internet radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more; as well as news, sports and talk radio apps. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Click here to learn more about Android Auto and to see what latest smartphones are compatible.
WebLink: Download the WebLink Host app (for Apple iOS 13.0+ or Android OS 7.0+) and connect your compatible iPhone or Android smartphone to the Sony receiver's USB1 port to access select apps such as YouTube, Yelp, and Zomato through the Sony receiver. The apps must be downloaded on your compatible mobile device and can then be accessed through the Sony receiver's touchscreen using the WebLink interface.
- YouTube: With WebLink, you can access YouTube (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) and play videos on the Sony receiver's touchscreen monitor (your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged). You can select videos from a variety of categories or search by keyword(s).
- Yelp: Yelp (for Apple iOS 13.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) uses automated software to recommend the most helpful and reliable reviews for the Yelp community among the millions submitted. The software looks at dozens of different signals, including various measures of quality, reliability, and activity on Yelp. Let Yelp help you find the best Restaurants, Hotels, Automotive Service Centers, Banks, Shopping Malls, and more. Search by Category, Favorites, Distance, Point on the Map, or Keyword. A keyword search requires that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged.
- Zomato: Zomato (for Apple iOS 11.0+ and Android OS 5.0+) lets you search for and discover restaurants to eat out at or order in from. Browse through restaurant menus, photos, user reviews and ratings to decide where you want to eat, and use the map feature to guide you there.
- MediaPlayer: WebLink's MediaPlayer allows you to access your Apple iOS or Android devices stored music and video library for playback (content must be stored on the device and not the cloud). From the receiver's touchscreen, you can browse your phone's music library by Artist, Album, Genres, Playlist, or Songs. You can also search your music by typing in an artist's name or a song title (the vehicle's parking brake has to be engaged for this feature). In addition, you get playback controls such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Random/Repeat. The receiver's screen will display song/artist/album information, along with album art.
- Once you have your device connected to the head unit and you have selected WebLink as the source, the WebLink app is not controllable from your Apple iOS or Android device. If you need to control the WebLink app from your smartphone, you will have to disconnect your phone's cable from the Sony receiver.
- The WebLink app must be opened as the primary app on your phone. If you press the home button or go to access other apps on your phone, the WebLink apps will pause on the Sony receiver, until the WebLink app is the primary app again. WebLink will not work with the app only running in the background.
- Some apps within WebLink will require that your vehicle's parking brake be engaged to operate certain functions & features of the application.
Cellular & Data Plan Requirements: Access to CarPlay, Android Auto, and WebLink apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
USB Extension Cables: The Sony XAV-AX8100's USB port is located on the back of the touchscreen monitor (not the single-din source unit). A 52" and 23" USB extension cable are provided for connection of your Apple iPhone's or Android smartphones USB cable. Only an Apple certified Lightning-to-USB or Android-compliant USB cable when connecting your iPhone or Android device for CarPlay or Android Auto. Do not use any other USB extension cable and do not use 3rd party Lightning-to-USB or USB cables that are not Apple certified or Android compliant. Using other types of cables can result in CarPlay or Android Auto malfunction.
Smartphone Charging: The Sony receiver's USB port (located on back of the touchscreen monitor) provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPhone or Android smartphone device when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPhone or Android device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Bluetooth 3.0: The Sony XAV-AX8100 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 3.0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAP 1.1 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony XAV-AX8100. Please visit Sony eSupport for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Secure Simple Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony XAV-AX8100 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. This unit can only be paired and connected with one Bluetooth device at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Sony XAV-AX8100 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The controls of the XAV-AX8100 can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the XAV-AX8100 provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's touchscreen. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the XAV-AX8100, you can dial a
phone number in a variety of ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing from the unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can transfer up to 1,000 contacts from your phone's phonebook and store them in the head unit for easy access using the unit's touchscreen monitor.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Redial: Use this feature to easily redial the last number you called.
- Phone Call Adjustments: During a conversation, you can adjust the ringtone volume, adjust the caller's voice volume level, adjust the microphone gain level, as well as switch between the Hands-Free Mode and the Hands-Held Mode (talking directly on your cell phone).
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Sony XAV-AX8100 also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. You can stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the XAV-AX8100.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the XAV-AX8100 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the Sony digital media receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Advanced Music Browsing: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the XAV-AX8100 lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your music's song/artist information; such as Artist name, Song title, and Album title (no album art).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
USB, HDMI, & Camera Integration
USB Port (for MSC Playback): The Sony XAV-AX8100 features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port that is located on the rear of the touchscreen monitor and comes with a 52" and 23" USB extension cable. In addition to support Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, the USB port supports the connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device. You'll be able to play back a variety of audio files on your compatible USB MSC device through the Sony receiver, as well as control playback and view song/artist information with album art. You'll also be able to play back certain video files when your vehicle is stopped and the parking brake is engaged. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (5V/1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: The USB port does not support connection of Android devices via MTP or AOA 2.0. The USB port does not support USB hubs or card-readers.
Audio/Video File Compatibility: The Sony XAV-AX8100 supports the following audio/video files loaded onto a USB MSC (mass storage class ) device.
|Media Type||USB MSC (Mass Storage Class)|
|File System||FAT 12/16/32, exFAT|
|Playable File Types||Audio||MP3 (48-320kbps; 32-48kHz), WMA (48-192kbps; 44.1kHz), AAC (40-320kbps; 8-48kHz), FLAC (16-bit; 8-48kHz), WAV (16/24-bit; 8-48kHz)|
|Video||MPEG-4 (1280x720), WMV (720x480), MKV (1280x720), Xvid (1280x720)|
|Maximum # Of Folders/Files||256 folders/2,000 files|
|Tags||MP3-ID3, WMA, AAC, FLAC tags + Album Art|
HDMI Input: The Sony XAV-AX8100 digital multimedia receiver is outfitted with an HDMI input located on the bottom edge of the touchscreen monitor for connection of an external audio/video source device (such as a DVD or Blu-ray player) with an HDMI output. The HDMI input can also be used to mirror the display and audio of a compatible Apple iPhone or Android smartphone using the appropriate adapters (sold separately). The HDMI input provides video and audio playback, but not control. Playback functions will still need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected source device (not the Sony head unit).
Note: For safety reasons, video from the HDMI input cannot be displayed on the receiver's touchscreen monitor without the vehicle's parking brake engaged.
Rearview Camera Input: The Sony XAV-AX8100 is equipped with a composite video rearview camera input to connect a backup camera (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). By connecting a backup camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen monitor to see what's behind you when backing up.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a backup camera is connected and you are viewing a rearview image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines. The parking guide lines can be customized to fit your type of vehicle better.
- Auto-Switching: When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera; the purple/white wire of the included harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.0 second. You can also manually select the rearview camera input from the head units touchscreen.
Note: The rearview camera feature is meant as a backup aid only; never solely rely on the rearview camera when backing up. In addition to using the rearview camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Audio & DSP Section
Dynamic Reality Amp 2: The Dynamic Reality Amp 2 gives you 20W (RMS) x 4ch / 55W (Peak) x 4ch of power, so you can play music as loudly or softly as you like with clarity and detail. The amp has 47% less internal resistance than conventional units, for increased output and clear, natural sound at any volume.
- Continuous Power Output: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (220 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony XAV-AX8100 are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
5ch/5V Preouts+ Subwoofer Control: The XAV-AX8100 contains five 5-volt RCA preouts; a front channel pair, rear channel pair, and mono-subwoofer channel. The front and rear channel preouts can be faded, while the subwoofer preout is non-fading. You can adjust the subwoofer preout's volume level (-10 to +10) independently from the head unit's volume control. You can also select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Low-Pass & High-Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer preout features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz. The front & rear speaker high-level and low-level outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. The slope of the low & high pass crossovers is 12dB.
10-Band EQ: You can select from a variety of preset EQ curves. Select from R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, Electronica, Jazz, Soul, Country, Custom, & Off. The Custom EQ preset mode allows you to tailor the sound to your personal preference with its 10-band graphic equalizer. Cut and boost ten different frequencies (32, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k Hz) from -10 to +10 for unlimited sound sculpting options.
Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO): Sound waves are directional, so if your speakers are in your doors or under your dash, the audio may seem muddy or unclear. Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO) adjusts the width and height of the soundstage, improving the stereo positioning so music sounds like it's coming from the dashboard.
ExtraBass: Activate ExtraBass at the touch of a button for an instant, low-end boost. Unlike conventional bass boosters, ExtraBass minimizes distortion at all volume levels by automatically adjusting frequency and gain to their optimal positions.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation (only when using the receiver's built-in amp). This function can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Radio + SiriusXM-Ready
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony XAV-AX8100 is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- BTM (Best Tuning Memory): BTM (Best Tuning Memory) selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- RDS: FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal. Radio Data System (RDS) displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Sony XAV-AX8100 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
31 questions already asked
wow!!! this thing really woke up the infinity speakers I previously replaced from Crutchfield. I originally thought I would add an amp, but this Sony has my speakers playing loud and clear! for me a sub is all I need to complete this system!
Legin from Keaau, HI