About the Sony XAV-9500ES
Mobile ES quality with a beautiful touchscreen
Mobile ES quality with a beautiful touchscreen
One look at Sony's flagship XAV-9500ES digital multimedia receiver, and I was cooking up ways to make it part of my daily drive. My car's factory radio can't be replaced, but... maybe it's time for a new car? Okay, okay... buying a car just to add a new radio might be taking things too far, but there's no denying this stereo churns up serious fanboy energy within me. Doubtless, it'll do the same for other Sony fans. The Mobile ES Series is legendary in the industry for its commitment to sound quality, and Sony has incorporated that pedigree into a high-performance stereo with a 10.1" touchscreen and onboard Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto™.
Not your average touchscreen
Sony designed this digital multimedia receiver with tablet users in mind, providing a super-sized HD capacitive display that doesn't disappoint. Unlike most displays, the LCD is bonded directly to the protective glass touch layer with a transparent adhesive, so you'll get a precise touch experience as well as enhanced contrast and visual performance.
Check your dash!
Important Note — The screen measures 10.635" x 6.695". Before ordering, check for possible interference with your dash, your shifter, and all other controls.
Fits more dashes
The XAV-9500ES comes in two main pieces: a 2" tall chassis and a 10.1" touchscreen. The chassis fits in most single-DIN dash openings, so it'll work great in many older vehicles. When you mount the chassis in your dash opening, the screen offers four-way adjustability you can get a perfect view and not block essential climate controls.
Play your High-Res music... wirelessly!
Sony uses a premium digital audio converter (DAC) chip to elevate sound quality across the board. With high-performance 32-bit processing and eliminated timing jitter, you'll hear an impressive dynamic range with minimal distortion. Audiophile-grade capacitors step up the power for satisfying bass performance and a dual-layer chassis helps eliminate electro-magnetic interference for an even cleaner audio signal. Use the rear USB Type-C input to connect your smartphone or thumb drive with High-Resolution audio files to hear music as your favorite artists intended. Sony also builds in LDAC technology which allows you to wirelessly stream audio from compatible devices at 96 kHz / 24-bit sampling, which is a significant improvement over conventional Bluetooth streaming.
Superior tools for sculpting your sound
Sony builds in an impressive array of tools that are hard to find in most stereos. A 192-kHz / 24-bit DSP offers excellent sound processing and precision time alignment. A 14-band EQ gives you control over the 6 output channels, and each channel also sports an 8-band parametric EQ. Combined with a 3-zone crossover, you'll have everything you need to pull together the fine-tuning of your front speakers, rears, and subs. The XAV-9500ES also includes three pairs of 5-volt RCA preamp outputs that provide an ultra-clean signal when you add amps to your system.
Smartphone fun, without wires
Without exceptional smartphone integration, a new car stereo just isn't as exciting or useful. Thankfully, Sony includes the very best in the XAV-9500ES, with onboard Android Auto and Apple CarPlay that you can access with a wireless connection.
Android Auto (wired and wireless): Android Auto integrates the Android platform into your driving experience in a non-distracting way. You'll have voice control access to Google Maps, weather, music, your phone, text messages, plus easy access to many of your favorite apps. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
Apple CarPlay (wireless only): CarPlay integrates your iPhone® into the driving experience, putting iPhone content at the driver's voice command with minimal distraction. That means easy access to your music library, your phone, messages, navigation, and many third-party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
Built-in Bluetooth® and more
Of course, Sony gives you Bluetooth® as well. Use it to make or receive hands-free phone calls via your smartphone with the included microphone, or stream music from your phone with ease. You can also use the included microphone to activate voice commands for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. If you're hankering for even more entertainment, step up to satellite radio programming by adding a SiriusXM tuner.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
The XAV-9500ES offers compatibility in a growing number of aftermarket radios, thanks to iDatalink's Maestro modules (not included). In a wide selection of vehicles, the Maestro ADS-MRR module lets you keep factory features that you'd otherwise lose when you install a new radio. You'll also be able to check out engine performance data and other vehicle info on the screen. iDatalink also now offers the Maestro ADS-MRR2 module, which adds features like programmable outputs for add-on accessory items, such as lighting and winch accessories, as well as built-in Bluetooth for future wireless software updates for the module. Once you've identified your vehicle, you'll see the compatible iDatalink ADS-MRR modules offered on the way to the Shopping Cart.
Optional Remote Control: The XAV-9500ES supports Sony's RM-X400 IR remote control (sold separately - not available at Crutchfield) for wireless operation of the digital multimedia receiver.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
You'll need a wired connection to your parking brake to access settings and other features on this receiver. Your parking brake must be connected and set in order to view video on its screen.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- 10.1" capacitive HD anti-glare touchscreen with four-way adjustable mount
- fits single-DIN dash openings
- optional remote control (sold separately — not available at Crutchfield)
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- High-Resolution audio and High-Resolution wireless LDAC audio support
- built-in ESS digital-to-analog converter
- built-in high-grade 192-kHz / 24-bit digital signal processor
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- wireless Apple CarPlay (no wired compatibility) and wired/wireless Android Auto compatible
- plays MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, FLAC, ALAC, DSF, and DSDIFF music files
- plays ASF, WMV, AVI, MKV, MPEG-4 video files via USB
- 14-band graphic equalizer with independent 8-band parametric EQ per channel
- 3-zone crossover
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: rear USB Type-C port, backup cam input, two additional camera inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, sub)
- Important Note — Monitor dimensions are 10.635' x 6.695". Before ordering, check for possible interference with your dash.
- wired connection to parking brake required to access settings and other features on this receiver (the brake must be connected and set for video display)
- built-in internal amp (20 watts RMS CTA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- works with iDataLink Maestro module
- displays engine performance and other vehicle data on touchscreen
- retains factory features in a wide selection of vehicles
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XAV9500ES
What's in the box:
Sony XAV-9500ES owner's manual
- Single-DIN source unit (10A fuse)
- 10.1" Touchscreen monitor
- Wiring harness (attached 6.5' parking brake wire)
- Camera/Preout harness
- 3-Wire to 3.5mm SWC adapter
- 59" USB-C extension cable
- GPS antenna (attached 10' cable terminated by a FAKRA connector)
- GPS Antenna mounting plate
- Microphone with visor-bracket (attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle mono-3.5mm connector)
- Surface bracket
- Two-sided tape
- Four M5x9mm ISO-screws
- Four M4x6mm machine screws
- M3x8mm machine screw
- Connector bracket
- 2 Rear-panel covers
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty Information
- Installation Note
Sony XAV-9500ES reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sony XAV-9500ES
Features & specs
|USB Port Power||3A|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||Yes|
|Alexa Voice Control||N|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|iPhone||5S and newer|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||20 watts|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)||Apple, Google, Waze|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)||Google, Waze|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Screen Type||Swipeable (Capacitive)|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||7 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3,WMA,AAC,ALAC,FLAC,WAV,DSD|
Audio & DSP Section
CarPlay & Android Auto
USB, Camera & OEM Integration
AM/FM Radio + SiriusXM Ready
10.1" Capacitive Touchscreen Monitor: The Sony Mobile ES XAV-9500ES features a 10.1" high-definition (1280x720), capacitive LCD touchscreen panel with an optically gapless design that boasts "best-in-class" picture quality while assuring safer and easier operation. Unlike a conventional display, the LCD panel is bonded directly to the protective glass touch-layer with a transparent adhesive. This ensures no air gap between the transparent layers of the touchscreen, giving improved clarity of the surface structures. The result is an extremely precise touch control experience along with enhanced contrast and visual performance. The 1280x720 HD (2,764,800) touchscreen offers an enhanced user interface, featuring simple and clean graphics, a high-contrast "Mobile ES" color scheme, and customizable wallpaper and icons.
- Display Settings: Up to 5 Apps (icons) can be set on the Apps area (Favorites) of the receiver's Home screen. Simply touch and hold the App (icon) you want to move, then drag it to the place on the Home screen where you want to keep it for easier access. You can also choose from 4 preset wallpapers or download up to two custom background JPEG images from a USB-C MSC (mass storage class device). To change the brightness of the display you can set the Sony Mobile ES receiver to one of two dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), or Dimmer On (display always dim). You can adjust the dimmer level from 1-4. You can also turn the backlight of the display completely off and only listen to your music without the distraction of the LCD screen.
- Mounting Adjustments: The 10.1" touchscreen monitor's sturdy mount can be adjusted in three directions to allow for flexible installation in a wide variety of vehicles (adjustments must be made prior to final installation and cannot be done during operation). The sturdy flexible mount allows you to adjust the tilt up/down (+/- 10 degrees), depth forward/backward (+/- 0.75"), height up/down (+/- 2.375"), and lateral left/right (+/- 1.0") of the touchscreen monitor to accommodate your vehicle's dash. When installing the oversized monitor, ensure access to your vehicle's original equipment is not obstructed and make sure the unit does not obstruct your field of vision.
- Monitor Dimensions: The "floating" touchscreen display monitor measures 10.635" (w) x 6.695" (h) x 1.265" (d). It protrudes approximately 4.75" above the single-DIN source unit chassis.
Note: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. Video can only be displayed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off) - you can still enjoy CarPlay, Android Auto, & Bluetooth, as well as access audio adjustments.
Single-DIN Source Unit: The included source unit fits in a standard 2" single-DIN opening (applicable kit, harness, etc. will be required and sold separately for your vehicle). Once the source unit is mounted in the dash, the 10.1" touchscreen monitor attaches to the front of the source unit using the included hardware. All of the XAV-9500ES's inputs and outputs are found on the rear-panel of the source unit.
- Install the single-DIN source unit at an angle of less than 30-degrees in the 2" dash opening of your vehicle.
- The Sony XAV-9500ES will not fit in some vehicles with a single-DIN opening due to its large 10.1" touchscreen monitor interfering with your vehicle's factory equipment on the dash.
Control Buttons: The ergonomically-designed physical button-keys on top of the touchscreeen panel give instant access to basic operations to minimize distractions behind the wheel. Control functions include Power On/Off, Home Menu, Volume Up/Down, Previous/Next Track, and Voice Recognition. There are also two capactive touch sensitive buttons at the bottom of the screen that can be customized to control a variety of functions.
Beep Tone: The in-dash digital multimedia receiver provides an audible beep to confirm button operation (only when using the receiver's built-in amp). This function can be turned On or Off.
Optional Remote Control: The XAV-9500ES supports Sony's RM-X400 IR remote control (sold separately - not available at Crutchfield) for wireless operation of the digital multimedia receiver. The remote only operates basic functions such a Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Volume Up/Down, Mute, and Display Off.
Audio & DSP Section
Mobile ES (Elevated Standard) Series: The Sony XAV-9500ES is part of Sony's Mobile ES (Elevated Standard) Series line-up that delivers a premium in-vehicle listening experience with customizable, high-quality sound. Sony Mobile ES products come with a 3 Year Warranty.
- Optimum Audio Components: Carefully selected components ensure superb quality sound. The dedicated choke coil in the power supply block features powerful bass while filtering unwanted frequencies, for controlled and dynamic audio reproduction. Audiophile-grade high polymer solid electrolytic capacitors (FT CAP2), custom-made for Sony's high-end products, deliver stable power to the ESS D/A converter for clear and tight bass, while multi-layer polymer capacitors ensure low overall harmonic distortion and natural sound.
- Anti-resonance Dual-layer Chassis: The dual-layer design of the chassis separates analog and digital circuitry, preventing electro-magnetic noise for uncompromised sound quality. The lower layer stores circuit boards, which are dedicated to the audio and analogue process, and the fully shielded upper layer separates the digital circuit boards.
- Sound Customization: The high-grade 24-bit/192kHz DSP offers pristine sound processing and time alignment down to a remarkable 1cm for each of the 6 addressable channels. A 14-band EQ lets customers adjust the overall sound to their music or taste, and each of the 6 channels features an independent 8-band parametric EQ to get optimum performance across different speaker configurations. Together with the 3-zone crossover, you can dial in the perfect match of front, rear and subwoofers.
24-Bit/192kHz ESS DAC: The Sony Mobile ES XAV-9500ES utilizes a premium 24-bit/192kHz ESS DAC (digital-to-analog converter) chip that provides high-performance and optimum quality playback for your digital music files by eliminating any timing jitter for unprecedented dynamic range and low harmonic distortion. The XAV-9500ES supports native 24-bit/192kHz WAV, FLAC, and ALAC audio playback; as well as DSD file playback via 24-bit/192kHz PCM conversion. Now you can experience the same caliber of sound typically reserved for high-end home audio gear in your vehicle.
Premium Class A/B 4-Channel Amplifier: To provide unmatched audio quality, the dedicated power circuit is designed for left and right channel amplification, while the overall amplifier block includes updated circuit configurations, patterns and components that minimize interference. Together with the electric volume circuit utilizing a select audio IC with less distortion and noise, customers can enjoy smooth highs, tight bass, wide dynamic range and more accurate sound stage.
- Continuous Power Output: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (220 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony XAV-9500ES are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
5V/6Ch Preouts + Subwoofer Control: The XAV-9500ES contains six 5-volt RCA preouts; a front channel stereo pair, rear channel stereo pair, and a subwoofer channel pair. The front and rear channel preouts can be faded, while the subwoofer preouts are non-fading. You can configure the two subwoofer preouts as a summed mono channel or distinct stereo channels. You can adjust the subwoofer preouts' volume level (-10 to +10) independently from the head unit's volume control. You can also select the phase of the subwoofer outputs from Normal or Reverse.
Low-Pass & High-Pass Filter: The Sony Mobile ES digital multimedia receiver is equipped with low-pass and high-pass crossover filters. The unit's subwoofer preout features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 125Hz. The front & rear speaker high-level and low-level outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 63Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 125Hz, or Off. The slope of the low & high pass crossovers can be adjusted to -12dB, -24dB, -36dB, or -48dB.
Equalizer: You can select from a variety of preset EQ curves to easily tailor the head unit's sound to your music content. Select from R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, EDM, Jazz, Soul, Country, Custom 1, Custom 2, and Off (Flat). The Custom EQ mode lets you choose from a 14-Band Graphic EQ or an 8 Band Parametric EQ to further fine-tune the sound of the Sony Mobile ES receiver.
- 14-Band Graphic EQ: You can manually cut and boost 14 different frequencies (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, 12.5k, 17.3k Hz) from -12 to +12 (in 1db increments) for all of the digital multimedia receiver's speaker and subwoofer outputs at the same time.
- 8-Band Parametric EQ: You can manually cut and boost 8 custom frequencies (between 20Hz to 20kHz) from -12 to +12 (in 0.1dB increments) for each individual speaker output and subwoofer output. You can also adjust the Q-factor from 0.7 to 16.0 (in 0.1 increments) for each of the 8 select frequencies of the speaker and sub outputs.
Time Alignment: Built-in Time Alignment allows you to adjust the delay and distance between the front and rear speakers, as well the subwoofer to the seated listening positions in the vehicle. You can select between 4 preset profiles (Front Left, Front Right, Front, or All); manually tailor a Custom profile, or turn the Time Alignment feature Off. In Custom mode, you can manually adjust the position of the sound image by correcting the arrival time of the sound according to the sitting position of the car. You can adjust the distance from each speaker to the listening position in 0.1 inch or 1 cm increments (unit switchable) to correct the time it takes for the sound to reach the listening position.
Vinyl Processor: Activate the Vinyl Processor feature to give your digital audio music files the the warmth and rich playback of a record spinning on a turntable.
CarPlay & Android Auto
Apple iPhone & Android Smartphone Integration: Thanks to built-in 5GHz WiFi (802.11ac) and the supplied GPS antenna, you can leave your compatible Apple iPhone or Android smartphone in your pocket or bag and still access full device integration through Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. You'll be able to access navigation, communication and entertainment - all via voice control and without any cable clutter.
- Built-In WiFi: The Sony XAV-9500ES features built-in WiFi wireless connectivity specifically designed to support a cable free connection between your Apple iPhone or Android smartphone and the receiver. The unit's built-in WiFi can only be used for CarPlay & Android Auto (not designed to be used with WiFi hotspots).
- GPS Antenna: The included GPS antenna must be installed for wireless Android Auto and Apple CarPlay to function optimally and properly. The GPS antenna can be mounted inside the front of vehicle on the dash.
Wireless Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your iPhone 5S or newer in the vehicle, while you stay focused on the road. Your compatible iPhone must be connected to the Sony XAV-9500ES wirelessly via WiFi & Bluetooth (not USB). An iPhone 5S or newer (running iOS 9.0+) is required for a wireless connection. Apple CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and integrates them into the Sony XAV-9500ES. Apple CarPlay offers an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, view maps, listen to music, and access messages from your compatible iPhone through the Sony Mobile ES in-dash digital multimedia receiver. With Apple CarPlay, you can control these functions from the Sony Mobile ES receiver's 10.1" touchscreen or activate Siri for minimized distraction.
- Maps: Through Apple CarPlay, the power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze, you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have their own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Phone: With Apple CarPlay, you can use the XAV-9500ES's interactive touchscreen or ask Siri to make calls, return calls, and check voicemail. To dial a phone number, simply tap the "Phone" icon and Siri will ask you who you want to call. Using the touchscreen you can manually enter a phone number from the on-screen keypad, scroll through contacts, or select from recent and miss calls. In addition, you get access to your voicemails via touchscreen and Siri. When a call comes in, simply tap the "Phone" icon to answer. You'll carry on your side of the conversation through the included external microphone, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can emphasize or weaken the volume level of the microphone. You can also select which car speaker outputs the caller audio; you can select All, Front-Left, Front-Right, or Front-Left/Right.
- Text Messages: Apple CarPlay also lets you enjoy a better and safer way of text messaging with friends and family when you're on the road, through the Sony Mobile ES receiver and Siri. Through your voice commands, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages so that you never have to glance at your phone while behind the wheel. When a new message comes in a banner will come across the screen and Siri will read back the message for you. Text messages cannot be read or typed from the head unit's touchscreen to prevent driver distraction.
- Music Library: CarPlay lets you access your music in your iPhone's music library, plus Apple Music from the Sony XAV-9500ES. You can browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Song, etc.. just like you would on your iPhone from the XAV-9500ES's touchscreen. You can also use Siri to find and play back your music. The XAV-9500ES's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background. Tap the Now Playing icon on the Sony Mobile ES receiver's capacitive touchscreen and see song, artist, album information with Album Art displaying in the background. From the Now Playing screen you also get basic playback function, like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Repeat/Shuffle.
- Audio Apps & Podcasts: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, podcasts, sports, news, and audiobooks - including Pandora, Tidal, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, Slacker Radio, Vox, Stitcher, MLB.com At Bat, CBS Radio News, NPR One, OverCast, Audiobooks.com & Audible (subscriptions and fees may app). Control them from the head unit's touchscreen or Siri just like you would from your iPhone. Your iPhone's touchscreen remains unlocked during CarPlay connection, so you are able to access additional music apps and listen to them through the Sony Mobile ES receiver; however these apps offer no control or display information from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Apple HomeKit Compatible: CarPlay now supports control of Apple HomeKit enabled devices (sold separately) through Siri. Using CarPlay in your vehicle, you can ask Siri to close or open your garage door, turn on or off home lighting, increase or decrease the temperature of your thermostat, as well as control select functions of other Apple HomeKit enabled devices and appliances. Click here for a list of compatible Apple HomeKit products.
- The Sony XAV-9500ES only supports Wireless CarPlay; it does not support wired USB CarPlay.
- Wireless Apple CarPlay is compatible with iPhone 5S or newer running the latest iOS version.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected Apple iPhone.
Android Auto (Wired or Wireless): The Sony XAV-9500ES receiver supports Android Auto with select Android smartphones using a wireless or wired connection. A Google or Samsung smartphone with Android OS 10.0+ or any smartphone with Android OS 11.0+ and 5GHz WiFi can utilize Android Auto Wireless with the Sony Mobile ES receiver using the latest version of the Android Auto app, plus a WiFi and Bluetooth connection. Android smartphones running Lollipop 5.0 or higher can also be hardwired to the Sony Mobile ES receiver via USB-C and Bluetooth. Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into a simple on-screen user interface. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include -
- Google Assistant: The Sony Mobile ES receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Sony Mobile ES receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Sony Mobile ES receiver via YouTube Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and internet radio stations from Amazon Music, Tidal, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, Tune-In, and more; as well as news, sports and talk radio apps. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo. Click here for a list of all compatible app for Android Auto. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- The initial setup for Android Auto requires that your vehicle be stopped and the parking brake is engaged. You will need to connect the parking brake wire of the receiver's harness to your vehicle's parking brake circuit for the head unit to recognize that the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone and wireless music streaming cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone.
- Click here to learn more about Android Auto and to see what latest smartphones are compatible.
Cellular & Data Plan Requirements: Access to CarPlay & Android Auto, apps will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Your compatible Apple or Android device will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
USB-C Port Charging: The Sony XAV-9500ES is equipped with a rear-panel USB-C port, instead of the standard USB-A port. The receiver's USB-C port provides up to 3A of current to power and charge your USB-connected Apple iPhone or Android smartphone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPhone or Android device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Bluetooth 5.0: The Sony Mobile ES XAV-9500ES is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 5.0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles -
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.7.1 (Hands Free Profile), PBAP 1.2 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3.1 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.6.1 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony XAV-9500ES. Please visit Sony eSupport for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Secure Simple Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony XAV-9500ES without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. This unit can be paired with multiple devices (up to 10), but it can only be connected to a single device at a time for wireless music playback and hands-free calling.
Hands-Free Communication: The Sony Mobile ES XAV-9500ES supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The controls of the XAV-9500ES can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.7) with wideband speech capability, the XAV-9500ES provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's touchscreen. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the XAV-9500ES, you can dial a phone number in a variety of ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Presets (Favorites): You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing from the unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can transfer up to 1,000 contacts from your phone's phonebook and store them in the head unit for easy access using the unit's touchscreen monitor.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Redial: Use this feature to easily redial the last number you called.
- Phone Call Adjustments: During a conversation, you can adjust the ringtone volume, adjust the caller's voice volume level, adjust the microphone gain level, as well as switch between the Hands-Free Mode and the Hands-Held Mode (talking directly on your cell phone).
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Sony Mobile ES XAV-9500ES also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. You can stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the XAV-9500ES.
- Supported Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the XAV-9500ES offers support of AAC and LDAC. By supporting AAC, the Sony digital media receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad. LDAC streams audio from your compatible Android OS device at 24-bit/96kHz sampling with bitrates up to 3x higher (990 kbps) than conventional Bluetooth.
- Advanced Music Browsing: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the XAV-9500ES lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your music's song/artist information; such as Artist name, Song title, and Album title (no album art).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
USB, Camera & OEM Integration
USB-C Port (for MSC Playback): The Sony XAV-9500ES features a rear-panel USB-C port that is located on the rear of the touchscreen monitor and comes with a 59" USB-C extension cable. In addition to supporting Android Auto, the USB-C port supports the connection of a USB MSC (mass storage class) device with a USB-C connector. You'll be able to play back a variety of video and audio files (including Hi-Res) on your compatible USB MSC device through the Sony digital multimedia receiver, as well as control playback and view song/artist information with album art. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB-C port (3A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
|Media Type||USB-C MSC (Mass Storage Class)|
|File System||FAT 16/32, exFAT|
|Playable Audio Files||Audio|| |
MP3 (32-320kbps; 32-48kHz), WMA (32-192kbps; 44.1kHz), AAC (16-320kbps; 8-48kHz), ALAC (16/24-bit; 8-192kHz), FLAC (16/24-bit; 8-192kHz), WAV (16/24/32-bit; 8-192kHz), DSD* (2.8/5.6/11.2/22.4 MHz)
|Video||ASF (1280x720), WMV (1280x720), AVI (1920x1080), MKV (1920x1080), MPEG-4 (1920x1080)|
|Maximum # Of Folders/Files||25,000 total files|
|Tags||MP3-ID3, WMA, AAC, ALAC, FLAC tags + Album Art|
- The receiver is equipped with a USB-C port; not the standard USB Type-A port found on most in-dash receivers.
- The USB-C port does not support Apple CarPlay. It also does not support connection of Android devices via MTP or AOA 2.0.
- The USB-C port does not support USB hubs or card-readers.
3 Camera Inputs: The Sony Mobile ES XAV-9500ES is equipped with 3 composite video camera inputs for connecting multiple cameras (including a rearview and front camera - sold separately). You can manually select and switch between the camera images on the 10.1" monitor (only one camera image can display at a time).
- Auto-Switching: When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera; the purple/white wire of the included harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.0 second.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a backup camera is connected and you are viewing a rearview image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines. The parking guide lines can be customized to fit your type of vehicle better.
Note: The camera feature is meant as a driving aid only; never solely rely on the cameras while driving. In addition to using the cameras, always look around you to make sure everything is clear when manuevering your vehicle.
iDatalink Maestro Compatible: iDatalink Maestro compatibility connects the XAV-9500ES to the onboard computer of select vehicles, turning it into a customized display for factory-equipped functions and features. With an iDatalink Maestro RR or RR2 (sold separately) you can interface with your vehicle's infotainment and information (for performance, safety and comfort) directly on the Sony Mobile ES receiver's 10.1" touchscreen.
- Web Programmable: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Sony Mobile ES receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
- Functions & Settings: After installing the iDataLink Maestro module and downloading the proper firmware, only available functions and settings are displayed on the Sony receiver's touchscreen monitor. You can use the Climate Control screen to see the status and operate the climate control system in your car. Selectable Gauges display driving information of your vehicle such as running speed (MPH), engine speed (RPM), and more. The Vehicle Information screen indicates information from your vehicle such as the tire pressure, car battery voltage, door ajar, and more. The Park Assist feature adds a visual display of detected objects to the existing parking sensor system in your vehicle (if equipped).
Note: Available functions, features, and settings differ according to your vehicle model and the firmware installed to the iDataLink Maestro module. Sony does not guarantee all operations of the iDataLink Maestro functions and settings.
Optional Steering Wheel Control Adapter: This receiver is compatible with aftermarket steering wheel audio control adapters (sold separately) designed to retain your vehicles existing factory steering wheel controls (if equipped) once the factory radio is replaced with an aftermarket head unit.
AM/FM Radio + SiriusXM Ready
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony Mobile ES XAV-9500ES is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- BTM (Best Tuning Memory): BTM (Best Tuning Memory) selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- RDS: FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal. Radio Data System (RDS) displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Sony XAV-9500ES is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
27 questions already asked
Easy to install and sounds great. Screen is large and easy to navigate. Like the controls on top of unit. Installed in our 2011 motorhome, great upgrade looking forward to using on future trips.
Don from Bakersfield, CA