About the Sony MEX-XB120BT
You'll feel the difference
You'll feel the difference
I've installed new car stereos in my ride and really noticed the difference power makes. But when I add an amp, the sound really takes off. You can skip adding the amp and still enjoy that level of performance with Sony's MEX-XB120BT CD receiver. Its built-in Class-D amp delivers 45 watts RMS per channel — 100 watts of peak power — equivalent to what you'll find in many 4-channel car amplifiers.Installation Note: We recommend running a dedicated constant power wire to the battery for optimal performance from this Sony's amp — we offer an inexpensive wiring kit for this installation. This Sony's high-powered amp won't work in systems where an outboard factory amplifier is still active.
Since even raw power deserves a gentle touch, Sony complements this beefy output with a sophisticated suite of sound shapers, including frequency filters, bass enhancers, time alignment, and a 10-band equalizer. And check out this cool feature — Subwoofer Direct Connection lets you use the output of one the receiver's two rear channels to drive a small subwoofer. That's ideal for small compacts or truck cabs, where space for an amp may be limited.
Customize the colors to suit your taste.
Bluetooth® for two
Bluetooth adds the convenience of hands-free calling and audio streaming. You don't have to enjoy that convenience alone, as you can pair two phones at one — one for your music and calls, while the other can take calls at the same time. With select phones, you can even pair with Near Field Communication (NFC) technology. Just touch devices with NFC to the N-mark on the knob and you'll be ready to go. With compatible iPhones and Androids, you'll enjoy voice controls for making calls, listening to text messages, and other features.
USB for your devices
When you plug in your Android or iOS device, you'll be able to rock with your favorite music tracks in a jiffy. The latest generation of smartphones can suck a lot of power, so the USB port kicks out 1.5 amps to keep your screens glowing bright.
Whether you want your dash subtle or suave, you're covered. Sony's Dynamic Color Illuminator offers up to 35,000 combinations of colors in two different lighting zones, and will even pulse in time to the beat or volume of your music. Cool details like a nifty sliding USB port cover add a touch of style.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- CD receiver with AM/FM tuner
- built-in Class-D amplifier (45 watts RMS CTA-2006/100 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable face with dual-zone variable color illumination
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- NFC offers instant Bluetooth pairing with compatible phones
- voice control with iOS and Android
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility):
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- AOA 2.0 Android USB control
- Pandora Internet radio control with iPhone and Android smartphones
- Quick-BrowZer and Jump Mode search features
- plays CDs, CD-Rs, and CD-RWs, including discs loaded with MP3, WMA, and AAC files
- EQ10 10-band equalizer
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine improves digital file sound quality
- time alignment
- high- and low-pass filters
- Subwoofer Direct Connection: use one of the rear speaker outputs to power a sub
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: front panel auxiliary and USB inputs
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (5-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- Sound Synchronization displays color changes timed to your music
- remote control
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MEXXB120BT
What's in the box:
- CD receiver (15A fuse)
- Sleeve (installed)
- Trim ring (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Wireless remote control (RM-X231)
- CR2025 Lithium battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 11' cord terminated by a right-angle mono 3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 2 Radio removal tools
- 4 Flathead ISO-mount screws
- Face fixing screw
- Operating Instructions (En/Fr)
- Face fixing screw note
- Important Notice For Dealer
- Warranty Information
More details on the Sony MEX-XB120BT
Features & specs
|Backup Camera Input||No|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Memory Card Slot||USB|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||45 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||45 watts|
|Peak Output||100 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||5 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||8 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
High-Power Class D Amplifier: A built-in 4-channel Class-D amplifier delivers up to a maximum of 45 watts RMS (100 watts Peak) of power per channel; approximately twice that of most head units, and comparable to the power output of a compact, external digital amplifier. The internal digital amplifier features a space-saving design that helps keep the receiver slim and compact.
- Optimized Layout: Circuitry and components are carefully laid out for low-noise, highly efficient electric power transmission.
- Precision Power Block Placement: Placing the power block close to the input and amp minimizes power loss, while electrolytic capacitors ensure precise, responsive bass.
- Heat Ventilation: An oversized heat sink with an optimally designed fin structure ensures efficient ventilation for your amp.
- Because of its high-powered amplifier design, the Sony MEX-XB120BT does require that a separate +12V constant power wire is run to the battery with a separate inline 15A fuse in vehicles with lower than a 15A fuse protecting the factory radio. Check out the "Accessories" tab for wiring kit.
- This Sony receiver's built-in high-powered amplifier won't work in car audio systems where an outboard factory amplifier will remain active.
CTA-2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the Sony MEX-XB120BT are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the MEX-XB120BT are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 45 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 100 watts x 4-channels (400 total watts)
6ch/5V Preamp Outputs: The Sony MEX-B120BT is equipped with 5-volt Front, Rear, & Sub pre-amp outputs giving you the ability to connect external amplifiers to your car stereo system. The unit's subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. You can adjust the subwoofer preout's volume level (-6 to +6 dB) independently from the head unit's volume control. You can also select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Note: You can connect a subwoofer to this head unit without the need of a separate power amplifier. Simply connect a single subwoofer (4-8 ohm) directly to head unit's left or right rear speaker leads (but not both). Approximate power output for the direct subwoofer connection is 60 watts RMS. Same subwoofer controls apply.
High-Pass & Low Pass Crossover: The front & rear speaker outputs offer a variable high-pass crossover, while the subwoofer preout offers a variable low pass crossover. The high and low pass crossovers can be set to 80, 100, or 120Hz.
Advanced Sound Engine: Sony's Advanced Sound Engine creates an ideal in-car soundfield with digital signal processing (DSP); including the following technologies -
- Listening Position: This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound field with the feeling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. You can choose from Front Right, Front Left, Front Center, or Off. You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far.
- EQ10: Select from a variety of EQ presets like R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, Electronic, Jazz, Soul, Country, Karaoke, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-6dB) of 10 different frequency bands - Band 1 (32Hz), Band 2 (63Hz), Band 3 (125Hz), Band 4 (250Hz), Band 5 (500Hz), Band 6 (1khz), Band 7 (2khz), Band 8 (4kHz), Band 9 (8kHz), and Band 10 (16kHz).
- ClearAudio+: ClearAudio+ reproduces sound by optimizing the digital signal with the Sony recommended sound settings.
- ExtraBass: Activate ExtraBass at the touch of a button for an instant, low-end boost. Unlike conventional bass boosters, ExtraBass minimizes distortion at all volume levels by automatically adjusting frequency and gain to their optimal positions.
- Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO): Sound waves are directional, so if your speakers are in your doors or under your dash, the audio may seem muddy or unclear. Dynamic Stage Organizer adjusts the signal, improving the stereo positioning so music sounds like it's coming from right in front of you.
- Rear Bass Enhancer (RBE): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
- Digital Sound Enhancement Engine (DSEE): DSEE improves digitally compressed music files by restoring high frequencies lost in the compression process.
- Advanced Auto Volume (AAV) + Loudness: This feature adjusts the playback volume level of all playback sources to the optimum level. Loudness reinforces bass and treble for clear sound at low volume levels.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
Bluetooth 3.0: The Sony MEX-B120BT is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.5 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony MEX-B120BT.
Multi-Device Pairing w/ Dual-Phone Connection: Up to nine Bluetooth-compatible devices can be paired to this receiver. You are even able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled phones connected at the same time, so you can make and receive calls from either phone through the head unit. Only one audio device can be connected at a time, which means only one of the two connected phones can stream audio. Once an already paired device is in close proximity to the Sony receiver, the two units will automatically re-connect. The head unit offers three pairing modes - SSP, NFC, & USB Auto
- Simple Secure Pairing: With Simple Secure Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony MEX-B120BT without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings.
- Near Field Communication (for Android): Android (OS 4.0+) smartphones that have Near Field Communication (NFC) pair simply by touching the Android device's NFC tag to the head unit's NFC tag on its rotary-knob. For older Android smartphones that don't have OS 4.0 or better installed, download the NFC Easy Connect app from Google Play to use the head unit's NFC pairing function.
- USB Auto (for iPhone): You can pair your Apple iPhone (iOS 5.0+) by simply connecting it to the Sony head unit via USB and activating the Bluetooth function on your Apple device.
Hands-Free Communication w/ External Mic: The Sony MEX-B120BT supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone (such as your iPhone or Android smartphone). Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The unit features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the MEX-B120BT provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically (between 3-10 seconds) through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's LCD. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the MEX-B120BT, you can dial a
phone number in one of the following ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's control dial.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can store up to 1,000 contacts in the unit's phone book. Up to a 40 character name can be input for each contact.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can make a call using the voice tags stored on your connected cellular phone.
- Redial: Use to easily redial the last number you called.
Note: During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Sony MEX-B120BT supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth-enabled smartphone or audio player, plus song/artist information display. You are able to stream your stored music library on your Bluetooth-enabled smartphone, as well as music apps downloaded on your smartphone to the Sony MEX-B120BT for playback.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the MEX-B120BT offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the MEX-B120BT offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Music Browsing: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat) for both stored music and music apps, the MEX-XB120BT provides a Search List of your stored music by Category or Playlist (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Information: The head unit will also display your stored music and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (not compatible with all apps).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Siri Eyes Free Control (for iPhone): When paired and connected to an iPhone with Siri via Bluetooth, the Sony MEX-B120BT has the ability to access Siri through its front-panel controls and external microphone. Simply activate the "voice dial" function on the MEX-B120BT to engage Siri and use the included microphone to communicate with Siri. Siri's voice will heard through your vehicle's speakers. All Siri functions including hands-free calling, music search, setting reminders, text-messaging, audible navigation, and more can be done through the head unit and its microphone. You can even ask Siri to get directions to a destination and the turn-by-turn instructions will heard through your vehicle's speakers, while the on-screen map still displays on your iPhone with Siri. The head unit's audio is attenuated while Siri provides audible directions.
Note: The head unit will only display hands-free calling and Bluetooth audio information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the MEX-B120BT; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone).
Android Direct Connect via USB: The Sony MEX-B120BT enables playback of stored music and music apps on select Android smartphones through its front-panel USB port. The unit's USB port (1.5A) will also charge your Android device while connected; the vehicle's accessory key must be set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. There are two types of modes to choose from based on your type of Android smartphone and what content you want to listen to.
- AOA 2.0 (Stored Music & Music Apps): The Sony MEX-B120BT supports Android Open Accessory 2.0 (AOA 2.0), which lets you connect your Android smartphone (OS 4.1+) to the MEX-B120BT's front-panel USB port and listen to stored music and select music apps from your Android device through the Sony receiver. You'll be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track. Other advanced music navigation will still be done from your Android smartphone's touchscreen. In this mode, the head unit will not display song/artist information; you'll continue to view song/artist information from the Android device's touchscreen. You'll still be able to access other functions and applications from your Android smartphone's touchscreen, while listening to music through the head unit. If you make a call or answer a call from your smartphone while listening to music in this mode, the music will pause until you are finished with the call and then start back up again.
- MTP (Stored Music w/ Song/Artist Info): The MEX-B120BT also supports MTP for playback & control of stored MP3/WMA music files on your Android (OS 4.0+) device through the Sony receiver's front-panel USB port. In this mode, you get basic playback control (like Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track), plus song/artist information on the receiver's LCD screen. During MTP connection, you cannot use your Android smartphone's touchscreen to control music playback and you cannot select music apps from your smartphone for playback. However, you can continue to listen to stored music on your Android smartphone through the head unit while you check your Calendar, Facebook, Texts, etc on your phone.
Note: Sony does not guarantee operation with all Android devices, regardless of operating system.
iPod/iPhone Direct Connect via USB: The Sony MEX-B120BT supports direct connection of select Lightning or 30-pin Apple iPod/iPhone devices through its front-panel USB port. The MEX-B120BT offers playback of your music library or music apps, music navigation and control, song/artist/album display, and charging of select Apple devices. Simply connect your compatible iPod/iPhone using the cable that came with your Apple device, or purchase another Lightning-to-USB or dock-to-USB cable (sold separately) to be used in the car.
- Playback Control: The unit offers basic playback controls - such as Play/Pause, Fast Forward/Rewind, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. Your iPod/iPhone will remain unlocked during connection, so you can continue to control your Apple device from its touchscreen for advanced music browsing and to access additional music apps.
- Song/Artist Info: The digital media receiver will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music file information; including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song Title, & Artist/Album Name. The MEX-B120BT will also display song/artist information and station identification from select music apps.
- 1.5A Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then this unit will not recognize it.
Note: Access to your iPhone's downloaded applications will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Sony MEX-B120BT is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of 2/8/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||Music Center (SongPal)||Pandora||Artist/Song Text||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available
Pandora Internet Radio: The Sony MEX-5200BT lets you playback and control the online Pandora music service that is being streamed to your USB or Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone (iOS 10.0+), or Bluetooth connected Android smartphone (OS 4.0+). The MEX-5200BT will also display Artist, Album, & Song information provided by the Pandora app. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. In addition, you will need an active Pandora music service account. The Sony MEX-5200BT provides the following control over the Pandora music service streamed to your USB-connected iPhone or Bluetooth-enabled Android smartphone.
- Station List: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically (A-Z).
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song or artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
Note: Access to the Pandora service will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. Pandora is not supported in Canada and only available in the United States.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Sony MEX-B120BT is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony MEX-B120BT CD receiver is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist & track information when listening to compatible AM/FM stations. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets in each in band (FM 1-3/AM 1-2), for a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets. Presets can be stored automatically using the Best Tuning Memory (BTM) feature.
Disc Compatibility: The Sony MEX-B120BT features a single disc player that will playback CD-Audio and finalized CD-R/CD-RW audio discs. The unit supports the playback of MP3, WMA, and AAC music files on a CD-R or CD-RW disc.
- Off Insert/Eject: A CD can be inserted or ejected with the power off. The head unit will automatically begin disc playback, when a disc is inserted with the receiver set to a different source.
- Auto Reload: The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected, but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
- Mounting Angle: For proper CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0° (horizontal) and 45°.
USB Mass Storage Class Playback: The head unit feature a front-panel USB (type-A) port hidden behind a sliding cover. The receiver's USB port can be used for plugging in a (MSC) Mass Storage Class USB device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The head unit can play MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, and WAV music files stored on compatible USB device. USB portable devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the CD receiver's USB port (5V/1.5A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Music File Playback: The Sony MEX-B120BT supports the a variety of music files recorded onto CD-R/RW disc or loaded onto a USB mass storage class device; see below for details.
|Media Type||CD-R/RW||USB MSC Device|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1/2, Romeo, or Joliet,||FAT 16/32|
|Playable File Types||MP3:
bit rate of 8-320kbps with sampling frequency of 16-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps with sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, or 48kHz
AAC: bit rate of 8-320kbps with sampling rate of 11.025-48kHz
bit rate of 8-320kbps with sampling frequency of 16-48kHz |
WMA: bit rate of 32-192kbps with sampling frequency of 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz
AAC: bit rate of 8-320kbps with sampling rate of 11.025-48kHz
FLAC: bit depth of 16 or 24-bit with sampling frequency of 44.1 or 48kHz
WAV: bit depth of 16-bit with sampling rate of 44.1kHz or 48kHz
|Maximum # of Folders/Files||150 folders/300 files||10,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tag (version 1.0/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA tag|
Song/Artist Information: The CD receiver can display the following ID3, WMA, and FLAC tag information; Track number, Elapsed Playing Time, Song Title, Artist Name, or Album Label.
Playback & Search Functions: The Sony CD receiver offers a variety of unique playback & search functions.
- Quick-BrowZer: The unit's Quick-BrowZer feature allow you to search for a track on a CD or connected USB Mass Storage Device easily by category (Genre, Artist, Album, or Playlist).
- Jump Mode: Jump Mode gets you closer to the song you want by allowing you to fast forward through a music folder in 10% increments.
- Repeat/Random: Repeat a single track or repeat an entire folder. Shuffle all tracks or a specific folder.
Front-Panel Auxiliary Input: A front panel stereo 3.5mm mini-jack is provided to allow the connection of a portable audio source. Just connect your portable digital music player to this unit, and you can listen to the audio from the portable player through the speakers in your mobile audio system. The volume level of the auxiliary input is adjustable from -8 to +18 dB to compensate for any difference between the unit and your portable device. The aux input can be deactivated in the menu, so it does not appear as an available source.
Music Center (SongPal) App: Download Sony's free Music Center (SongPal) app onto your Bluetooth-paired iPhone (iOS 10.0+) or Android (OS 4.2+) smartphone and take control of the Sony MEX-B120BT head unit right from your mobile device. You'll enjoy control over basic head unit functions, as well as navigation and seamless access to all your sources, music, apps, and more from your smartphone. The Music Center (SongPal) app also integrates Apple iOS and Android apps into the selectable source list of the Sony MEX-B120BT and lets you launch apps from the head unit. In addition the app can also be used to help customize sound and display settings of the Sony receiver.
- Receiver Sources: From the Music Center (SongPal) app on your smartphone device you can access and select the head unit's Tuner (AM/FM), CD, USB, Bluetooth, and Aux sources. You'll also be able to control basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Previous/Next Track or Station. In addition, you'll be able to view song/artist information and station identification from the Music Center (SongPal) app on your mobile device.
- Add-On Applications: You can integrate music, movie, navigation, and other applications that are already on your smartphone device within the Music Center (SongPal) app for easier access. Once an app is selected within the Music Center (SongPal) app, your smartphone's screen will divert to selected app. Audio of that source will be played through the MEX-B120BT; any visual data will only be displayed by your iPhone or Android device. Basic playback functions such as Play/Pause and Next Track are available from the head unit; advanced control functions are still done from your smartphone device.
- Volume & Sound Adjustments: You can access the head unit's sound menu and make adjustments from the app on your iPhone or Android device. Sound adjustments included Volume Up/Down, Balance/Fader, EQ, ExtraBass, and Sub Level.
- Display Settings: Using the Music Center (SongPal) app on your iPhone or Android device you can make adjustments to the head unit's front-panel LCD and button illumination. Make changes to the preset color of the LCD and/or button illumination, as well as activate or deactivate Sound Synchronization.
- Voice Recognition (Android only): You can use voice commands to ask for directions from Google maps or to play a particular song/artist in your smartphone's music library. You can even assign a music application within the Music Center (SongPal) app as a voice tag, so you can access it by simply speaking the name of the application. While using voice commands there will still be times where you have to make a selection on your smartphone's touchscreen.
- Notification Readout (Android only): Exclusive to Android devices, incoming SMS/E-mail and Twitter/Facebook/Calendar notifications are automatically read aloud through the MEX-B120BT and your vehicle's speakers to keep you safe and in touch. You can even reply to a text message via voice command and a list of preset replies.
Wireless Remote Control: The head unit comes supplied with an IR wireless remote control (RM-X231) for easy operation. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Detachable Face w/ Caution Alarm: The Sony MEX-B120BT features a detachable face for theft prevention. If you turn the ignition switch to the Off position without detaching the head unit's front-panel, the caution alarm will sound for a few seconds. The alarm will only sound if the unit's built-in amplifier is used. No face case is included with this unit. An optional soft face case (142DFC1X, sold separately) can be purchased for this unit. A face-fixing screw is supplied for making the face non-detachable, if desired.
High-Contrast LCD: With 5x the contrast of conventional screens, plus an optimized viewing angle, the MEX-B120BT's LCD screen is always easy to read. You can adjust its brightness level from 1-10. You can also set its dimmer to Auto, On, or Off. The Auto mode dims the head unit's display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on (illumination wire must be connected).
Dynamic Color Illuminator (35,000 colors): Dynamic Color Illuminator lets you match the head unit's LCD & button illumination to complement your existing vehicle lighting components. You can select from 15 preset colors or a customized color (R-G-B). You can choose to use the same color for the LCD screen and button illumination, or use a separate color for each one. You can even set the head unit's LCD screen's illumination to pulse with your music.
Auto Scroll: The Auto Scroll feature allows long displayed items to scroll automatically across the display when the track is changed on a disc or device.
Display Illumination/Clock Display: Pressing the SRC/OFF button once will switch sources. Pressing and holding the SRC/OFF button for one second will turn off audio output, but the clock display and button illumination remain on. To turn the unit off completely, you must press and hold the SRC/OFF button for two seconds.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting after 30 minutes of the power being turned off to the head unit.
Demo Mode: The head unit's demo mode can be turned On or Off.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
9 questions already asked