About the Sony MDR-XB950N1 EXTRA BASS™
More bass, fewer distractions
More bass, fewer distractions
Sony's EXTRA BASS series headphones are popular because they feature two things that customers crave — Bluetooth and big low-end thump. The Sony MDR-XB950N1 wireless headphones tack on noise-cancellation for a crowd-pleasing trifecta. Sony's internal circuitry helps cancel out the commotion around you, so you can focus on the forceful bass.
Sony's Headphone Connect app for Apple and Android lets you adjust the amount of bass you hear.
Made for the true bass buffs
If you're looking for headphones that sound absolutely balanced, look elsewhere — Sony is playing to the bass crowd here. But our customers who prefer that low-end emphasis generally review the Sony EXTRA BASS series well. They describe the bass as tight and hard-hitting — not bloated or unruly — so it enhances the overall energy of the sound.
And for songs that need really thunderous low-end impact? Sony's even included a Bass Boost button on the left earcup.
Made to feel and sound good
Sony also had bass in mind when they designed the cushioning on the earcups and headband. The oversized earpads are designed to relieve pressure on your ears and temple. But they also help minimize vibration and create a tight seal for serious bass.
Easy earcup controls for music and calls
Buttons on the left earcup let you control your music and volume. If a call comes through, simply hit the answer button and talk through the built-in microphone. Your phone can stay in your pocket the whole time.
- closed-back, over-ear design
- active noise-canceling circuitry to minimize external noise
- Bluetooth 4.1 connectivity for wireless music listening and phone calls with compatible smartphones
- aptX and AAC decoding provides high-quality music streaming from compatible devices
- LDAC Hi-Fidelity wireless music streaming from compatible sources
- NFC-compatible for one-touch pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- 40mm dynamic drivers tuned for deep, tightly controlled bass
- Bass Boost button offers enhanced low-frequency response
- built-in rechargeable battery offers up to 22 hours of wireless use with noise cancellation and Bass Boost
- well-padded headband and earcups for comfort
- oversized earpads help reduce vibration for better bass
- built-in microphone for making calls with a smartphone
- earcup controls let you answer calls, play/pause music, skip tracks, and control volume
- Bass Boost and noise cancellation buttons also on earcup
- free Sony Headphones Connect app for Apple® and Android allows you to adjust bass levels
- select from sound presets like Outdoor Stage, Club, Hall, or Arena
- 47-inch detachable cable with 3.5mm miniplug connector for wired use
- includes USB cable for charging
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz (Bluetooth), 3-28,000 (wired)
- sensitivity: 96 dB
- impedance: 47 ohms (when connected via headphone cable with noise-cancellation "on")
- warranty: 1 year parts, 90 days labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MDRXB950N1/B
What's in the box:
- Wireless over-ear headphones (black)
- 49" Audio cable (straight 3.5mm plug on one end and right-angled 3.5mm plug on other end)
- 20" USB charging cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Cloth storage pouch
- Reference Guide
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty sheet
- Sony Headphones Connect app promo
More details on the Sony MDR-XB950N1 EXTRA BASS™
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height||3.295" x 3.295"|
|Mic For Taking Calls||Yes|
|Frequency Response||20-20k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||No|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Sony MDR-XB950N1 Bluetooth wireless over-ear headphones let you enjoy your music without the hassle of dangling cables. The headphones have Bluetooth wireless technology, as well as the easy pairing of NFC. In addition, Digital Noise Canceling eliminates ambient noise so all you hear is the music. The soft earpads and padded headband let you listen for hours without fatigue. The headphones come with a soft cloth storage pouch, a USB charging cable, and an audio cable for plugging in to your music source when you can't (or don't want to) go wireless.
Digital Noise Canceling: The Digital Noise Canceling function utilizes built-in microphones on the outside of each ear cup to pick up ambient noise. The noise canceling circuit then sends an equal-but-opposite signal to the headphones, canceling out the noise around you. The Automatic AI (Artificial Intelligence) Noise Canceling function constantly analyzes the noise around you, and categorizes it into one of three Noise Canceling Modes:
- NC Mode A: Most effective in an airplane environment.
- NC Mode B: Most effective in a bus or train environment.
- NC Mode C: Most effective in an office environment.
Note: You can turn the Noise Canceling function on or off with a button on the left ear cup, or via the Sony Headphones Connect app.
Bluetooth: The MDR-XB950N1s feature Bluetooth 4.1 to wirelessly deliver crystal clear audio from a compatible digital music player, smartphone, tablet, or computer within a range of approximately 30 feet (10 meters). The headphones are compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles: Headset Profile (HSP), Hands-Free Profile (HFP), Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP), and Audio Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP). Built-in apt-X, SBC, and AAC codec support provides maximum signal quality when streaming your audio wirelessly.
NFC: With compatible Android smartphones (Android 2.3.3 or later), you can pair with the headphones using NFC (Near Field Communication) using the one-touch connection method. By simply touching the device to the "N" mark on the left ear cup, the phone and headphones are instantly connected.
Sony Headphones Connect: The new Sony Headphones Connect app is designed for use with the MDR-XB950N1 and MDR-XB950B1 headphones to make it easy to pair your device and headphones more easily, and customize the sound with new features. First-time Bluetooth pairing can be done exclusively on the app by following the easy on-screen guidelines. The app gives you exclusive "Surround" settings, allowing you to choose from the following "live sound" presets: Arena, Club, Outdoor Stage, and Concert Hall. You can also turn the Digital Noise Canceling function on or off. The app's Dashboard indicates when you are connected via Bluetooth, and the level of the remaining battery charge. The Headphones Connect app is available for iOS (requires 9.0 or later) and Android (requires 4.2 and up) devices.
Extra Bass: The MDR-XB950N1s Extra Bass design emphasizes the deep heavy bass sounds, making them ideal for electronic dance music, rock, and other bass-heavy music genres. You can turn on Extra Bass by pressing the Bass Function button on the left ear cup. Extra Bass can only be used when the headphones are powered on. Using the Sony Headphones Connect app, you can vary the amount of the Extra Bass effect from -10 to +10.
Music/Phone Controls: The headphones have built-in controls on the right ear cup for music playback as well as phone calls. When listening to music via Bluetooth, you can use the two-way slide switch for skip next/previous, fast forward/reverse. Pressing the slide switch allows you to pause/play the music or answer/end a phone call. A separate rocker switch controls volume up or down. An omnidirectional, electret condenser microphone is located on the left ear cup for making phone calls. The mic's frequency response is 50-8000Hz.
Voice Guidance: The MDR-XB950N1 features voice guidance to give you vocal confirmation of certain commands and functions. Through the headset you will hear voice guidance when powering the headphones on or off, when turning the Noise Canceling function on or off, when pairing with your Bluetooth device, when checking the remaining battery charge, and when turning the bass effect on or off.
Swiveling Ear Cups: The ear cups on the MDR-XB950N1 swivel out to let you listen to external sounds or carry on a conversation. When not in use, the swiveling ear cups fold flat for easy storage.
Drivers: The MDR-XB950N1s have large 40mm drivers that deliver full and balanced sound. You can enjoy a full 20Hz-20kHz frequency response when streaming music wirelessly, or when listening using the cable plugged into the source device.
Rechargeable Battery: The MDR-XB950N1 has a built-in 3.65-volt Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery. The battery fully charges in about 7 hours via the supplied USB charging cable. Maximum battery life estimates (with Bluetooth on) are as follows:
|NC On||NC Off|
|Music Playback||22 hours||24 hours|
|Communications||20 hours||20 hours|
|Standby||20 hours||40 hours|
|Bluetooth Off |
(headphone cable plugged in)
Note: About 3 hours of continuous use is possible after 1 hour of charging.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz (headphone cable plugged in, NC On)
- Power Handling Capacity: 100 mW (headphone cable plugged in)
- Impedance: 47Ω (headphone cable plugged in, Unit On); 35Ω (headphone cable plugged in, Unit Off)
- Sensitivity: 96.4 dB/mW (headphone cable plugged in, Unit On); 100.8 dB/mW (headphone cable plugged in, Unit Off)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked