About the Sony XLR-K3M
Versatile audio recording for your Sony camera
Versatile audio recording for your Sony camera
The XLR-K3M kit lets you capture pro-quality audio without the need for a separate mount or audio recorder. Your camera's Multi Interface Shoe provides power and passes audio signals directly to your camera. The directional mic allows you to focus on what's going on in front of the camera. An included screen keeps wind noise from becoming a problem, and the sturdy mount prevents noise from external vibration. Controls built into the side of the mount let you make precise adjustments as you go.
For Sony cameras featuring a built-in digital interface, like the a7R IV, the audio signal is directly transferred to the camera in digital form, for the highest-quality sound with no degradation. This mic also has a switch that allows it to work with a range of cameras using an analog interface.
- lightweight microphone with adapter for select Sony cameras with a Multi Interface Shoe
- mounts directly to shoe for power and audio connection, no cable required
- adapter features two XLR/TRS combo jacks
- switchable for line input, microphone input, or microphone input with 48 V phantom power
- direct transfer of digital audio with no degradation for Sony cameras with a built-in digital interface, like the a7R IV
- selectable analog output provides compatibility with other Sony cameras equipped with a Multi Interface Shoe
- precise controls built into adapter casing
- includes ECM-XM1 super-directional shotgun mic, wind screen, audio extension cable, and protective case
- no batteries required
- 4-11/16"W x 4-1/8"H x 3"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XLRK3M
What's in the box:
- ECM-XM1 condenser microphone with attached 13" cable (XLR plug)
- Rubber non-slip sleeve (installed)
- XLR-A3M XLR adapter
- Connector protective cap (installed)
- 13" Audio extension cable (with attached protective cap)
- Microphone wind screen
- Zippered storage case
- Reference Guide
- Startup Guide
- Limited Warranty (US + Canada)
- European Guarantee Information Document
- License Issues document
Sony XLR-K3M reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony XLR-K3M
Overview: The XLR-K3M XLR adapter kit is made for Sony interchangeable lens cameras and camcorders that are equipped with a Multi-Interface Shoe. The kit includes the ECM-XM1 Electret Condenser Microphone and the XLR-A3M XLR adapter. The XLR adapter has two XLR/6.3mm (1/4") TRS combo and one 3.5mm microphone inputs, an integrated mic holder, and a control panel for adjusting the settings for the microphone inputs. An audio extension cable is provided for bracket-mounted microphones.
XLR Adapter: The XLR-A3M is designed to fit into the Multi-Interface Shoe found on select Sony interchangeable lens cameras and some camcorders. It has a shock-resistant microphone holder with a secure clamp-type closure. The holder is compatible with microphones with a shaft diameter of approximately 1". The adapter's two female XLR/TRS combo (Inputs 1 and 2) and 3.5mm (Input 3) microphone inputs allow you to connect up to three microphones. The XLR inputs have switchable +48V Phantom power. All of the inputs have a cover to keep out dirt and moisture when not in use.
Control Panels: Rear- and side-mounted control panels on the XLR-A3M adapter has independent controls for the three microphone inputs. Hinged clear plastic flaps cover the control panels to prevent accidental setting changes. The control panels have the following controls and settings:
- Rear Controls:
- Input 1 (XLR/TRS combo): The controls for XLR Input 1 includes 3-way switches for Attenuator (0dB, 10dB, 20dB) and Input Mode (Line, Mic, Mic +48V). You can choose Automatic or Manual Level Control, with a rotary dial for setting the manual level between 0 and 10.
- Input 2 (XLR/TRS combo): The controls for XLR Input 2 are the same as for Input 1. The Auto/Man switch has a 3rd option (Link) that allows you to simultaneously adjust both the recording volume levels of the input audio from the Input 1 and Input 2 jacks.
- Low Cut: Individual 3-way switches for Input 1 and Input 2 let you select the cutoff frequency for the low-cut filter. The low-cut filter helps minimize unwanted noised, such as wind noise, vibrations, or air conditioning noise. It attenuates the frequencies below the selected cutoff: 300Hz, 100Hz, or Off.
- Input 3 (3.5mm): The stereo 3.5mm microphone input can be set for Auto Level control or Manual Level Control. If Manual is selected, you can adjust the level from 0 to 10 using the rotary dial.
- Side Controls:
- Digital/Analog: If your camera is compatible with the audio interface of the Multi-Interface Shoe, you should set the switch to "Digital." This will allows the unit and the attached camera to communicate with each other with digital signals and provide audio recording with minimum noise.
- Input Select: This 3-way switch lets you select which channel is to be recorded. If you select IN1, the audio from Input 1 is recorded on Channel 1 and Channel 2. Setting the switch to IN1-IN2, audio from Input 1 is recorded on Channels 1 and the audio from Input 2 is recorded on channel 2. When set to IN3, stereo audio is received through the Input 3 (3.5mm) jack with the left channel audio sent to Channel 1 and the right channel audio to Channel 2.
Microphone: The ECM-XM1 Electret Condenser Microphone has a directional polar pattern, and is ideal for weddings, interviews, and nature photography. It has a rubber sleeve that fits into the XLR adapter's mic holder, and protects the microphone from low frequency vibration noise. A "furry" windscreen is included.
Power Requirements: The XLR-A3M XLR adapter and the ECM-XM1 Condenser Microphone both receive power from the camera through the Multi-Interface Shoe. No batteries are required. While the adapter and microphone are in use, you should monitor the camera's battery level.
- XLR-A3M XLR Adapter:
- Width: 3.189"
- Height: 3.247" (4.375" incl./mic holder)
- Depth: 4.495"
- Weight: 6.6 ounces
- ECM-XM1 Condenser Microphone:
- Diameter: 0.83"
- Length: 6.415"
- Cable Length: 13"
- Weight: 4.1 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?