About the Sony Xplōd XM-1S
Sony designed the Slim Series XM-1S amplifier for small vehicle installations, with a low profile that allows it to fit under most front seats. On the outside, the sleek inverted heat sink keeps vital internal components running cooler and lasting longer. Removable terminal covers keep all the wire connections protected and out of sight for a clean-looking installation.
Underneath the hood, the XM-1S mono amplifier delivers 290 watts to a single 4-ohm sub, or 500 watts to a pair of subs plenty of power for even the most demanding subwoofers. Signal-sensing speaker-level inputs activate the amp automatically when it's connected to a factory radio, so there's no remote turn-on lead for you to install.
You can adjust the low-pass filter to tailor the signal going to your subs, while a bass boost adds extra punch to the lows. Switch on the subsonic filter to improve your sub's performance by removing inaudible ultra-low bass. Preamp outputs simplify setup when it's time to add another amp to your system.
- mono subwoofer amplifier
- 290 watts RMS x 1 at 4 ohms (500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- low-pass crossover (50-300Hz, -12dB/octave)
- variable bass boost (0-10 dB at 40 Hz)
- switchable subsonic filter (15Hz, -12dB/octave)
- Class-D amplifier design
- MOSFET outputs and power supply
- speaker-level inputs with high-level sensing turn-on
- preamp inputs and outputs
- fuse rating: 30A x 2
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 8-13/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 8-13/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XM1S
What's in the box:
- Mono-channel amplifier with two 30-amp fuses inserted into the chassis
- 8" Speaker-level input harness (with 4-pin Molex plug on one end)
- 4 Philips-head mounting screws
- Operating instructions (English/French/Spanish)
- Warranty sheet
Sony Xplōd XM-1S reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony Xplōd XM-1S
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
290 x 1 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||900 x 1|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||500 x 1|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||N/A|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||5-300 Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||90 dB|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-300 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||N/A|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||N/A|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Fuse Rating||30 x 2|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Harness|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Slim-Line Design: The Sony amplifier's slim, low-profile design allows it to work under many driver, passenger and rear seats of vehicles.
Mono Amplifier: The Sony XM-1S is a 1-channel, monaural-power-amplifier that is specifically designed to power your subwoofers with a frequency response between 5 to 300 Hz. The amplifier has a peak power of 900 Watts at 2 ohm.
CEA-2006 Compliant: The Sony amplifier is CEA-2006 compliant with a rating of 290 Watts x 1-channel in 4 ohm between 20 to 200 Hz at 1% THD+N with a signal-to-noise ratio of 65 dBA.
Class D Technology: The Sony XM-1S uses Class D Technology to covert and amplify music signals with MOSFETs to high speed pulse signals. This type of amplifier design features high efficiency and low heat generation.
Pulse Power Supply: The amplifier utilizes a light-weight Pulse Power Supply system for stable and regulated output power. This highly efficient design helps regulate fluctuating voltage from your car's battery while maintaining a low impedance output.
Active Thermal Control: The Active Thermal Control regulates the unit's operating temperature for stable, long-term playback at high volume. The amp will restrict maximum output due to high temperature irregularities.
Protection Circuit: The XM-1S amplifier features a protection circuit and indicator in case of a short circuit or bad ground.
Hi-Level Input: The amplifier features a Hi-Level speaker input for connecting the amplifier to your factory or aftermarket stereo that does not use RCA outputs. The amp also is equipped with a Hi-Level Sensing Power On feature that allows the unit to be activated without need for the Remote turn-on connection when using the Hi-Level input.
Parallel Connection: The XM-1S is equipped with two pairs of speaker terminals for an easy parallel subwoofer connection.
Low Pass Filter: The amplifier features a variable low-pass filter that can be adjusted from 50 to 300 Hz.
Low Boost Circuit: The amp also features a variable Bass boost that can be adjusted from 0 to +10dB at frequencies of 40 Hz.
Subsonic Filter: The amplifier features a Subsonic Filter to better its performance. Ultra-low frequencies that cannot be reproduced by a subwoofer do not become sound but become unnecessary oscillations, which affect sound by causing distortion. These frequencies also waste amplifier power and can cause damage to speakers. Setting the Subsonic switch to 15Hz cuts out the frequencies below the respective frequency to improve the reproduction performance of the speakers by eliminating harmful distortion.
Blue Illumination: The amplifier features two Blue LEDs that can be turned On or Off. These Blue LEDs will light up the foot area of your car when the amplifier is mounted under a seat.
Removable Top Surround: All of the amplifier's connections are located on the front side of the amplifier to make installation and connection simpler. To access the speaker, ground and power terminals you must remove the top chrome surround which is attached by 4 phillips-head screws. Once the chrome surround is reinstalled it protects the amplifier's terminals from being contacted by other items in your vehicle. The amplifier features the following inputs and outputs.
- Power/Ground Terminals: The power and ground screw terminals are 0.5625" wide to easily accommodate 4-gauge wire.
- Remote Turn-On Terminal: The Remote Turn-On lead screw terminal is 0.375" wide to accommodate 8-gauge wire.
- Speaker Terminals: The amplifier features two pair of 0.375" wide speaker terminals for running either 1 speaker or 2 speakers in parallel.
- Speaker-level Input Harness: The amp comes with a 2-channel speaker-level input harness with a 4-pin Molex plug on one end. This allows you to more easily connect this amplifier to a factory deck or a receiver without preamp outputs.
- RCA Input: The XM-1S is equipped with a set of Stereo RCA inputs for connection of your aftermarket stereo to the amplifier.
- RCA Output: The XM-1S amplifier also features a set of Stereo RCA pass-through outputs to daisy-chain the signal coming into this amplifier from your headunit to another amplifier in your system.
- Fuses: The amplifier is equipped with two 30-amp blade fuses.