About the Sony XM-GS4
Plays your music loud and clear
Plays your music loud and clear
This Sony amp uses a heavy-duty transformer and premium capacitors to maximize sonic accuracy.
Sony's XM-GS4 4-channel amplifier will drive your whole system, sending 70 watts RMS to each of your front and rear speakers. Or you can switch the amp into 2-channel mode to power a couple of subs with 160 watts RMS each. This compact amp sports a hefty heatsink that gets rid of the heat that's generated when you're pushing your system hard. The XM-GS4 also uses a cooling fan, which automatically adjusts its speed for the heat it detects, ensuring this small amplifier will always produce the power that's expected.
Ready for high-resolution music
The XM-GS4 can reproduce frequencies as high as 100,000 Hz, so your high-res files and downloads will come to life with pin-point clarity. You don't exactly hear those extreme high tones, but they add ambience to your music, increasing realism and emotional impact. The XM-GS4 works its magic best when paired with a high-resolution source, like Sony's matching RSX-GS9 digital media receiver, and tweeters capable of reproducing those ultra-high frequencies, like Sony's XS-GS1 supertweeters.
You'll find all the connections on one side of the amp, which makes wiring simpler and neater. The tuning controls sit protected under a cover so they won't get inadvertently moved. You'll find separate controls for the front and rear channels on this versatile amp. You can run two speakers and a sub, for instance, and use the correct high-pass, low-pass, and subsonic filters to get the tone right. You'll appreciate the bass boost, if you need a little extra punch. Sony protects this amp with a 3-year warranty, and that says a lot.
Sony XM-GS4 input and connection panel
Sony's High Resolution Audio System
This audiophile-quality 4-channel amp is just one part of Sony's impressive High Resolution Audio System. It's designed to work with Sony's unique series of incredibly advanced receiver, speakers, amps, and subs that are optimized for high-res performance. Team up these products with one of Sony's high-res players, and you'll discover a new world of listening enjoyment in your vehicle.
- 4-channel car amplifier
- 70 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (80 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 160 watts RMS x 2 at 4 ohms in bridged mode (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- frequency response: 10-100,000 Hz
- separate variable high- and low-pass filters for front and rear channels (50-300 Hz, 12 dB per octave)
- separate variable subsonic filters for front and rear channels (6-70 Hz, 12 dB/octave)
- separate bass boosts for front and rear channels (0-10 dB at 40 Hz)
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
- cooling fan
- fuse rating: 30A x 2
- 8-gauge power and ground leads recommended wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- 10-3/4"W x 2-1/8"H x 8"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # XMGS4
What's in the box:
- 4-Channel amplifier
- Two 30A ATO fuses (installed)
- 4.75" Speaker level input harness
- 4 Self-tapping screws (M4 x 14mm)
- Operating Instructions
- European Guarantee Information Document
Sony XM-GS4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the Sony XM-GS4
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
70 x 4 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||150 x 4|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||80 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||160 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||10-100k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||93 dB|
|Amplifier Class||Not Given|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-300 Hz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||50-300 Hz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost||0-10 dB|
|Bass Boost Frequency||40 Hz|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Overview: The Sony XM-GS4 is a 4-channel amplifier with a wide frequency response of 10Hz-100kHz. The extended response allows you to enjoy the full-range sound of High-Resolution Audio sources, such as the RSX-GS9 Digital Media Receiver. The XM-GS4 comes with a 4-channel speaker-level input harness and mounting screws.
CEA-2006: The XM-GS4's power ratings are measured according to the Consumer Electronics Association's CEA-2006 standards. These standards allow you to accurately compare the rated power output of all CEA-2006 compliant amplifiers, even from different brands. Manufacturers who adhere to the standards can display the CEA-2006 logo on their products and packaging. CEA-2006 Specifications:
- Power Output: 70 watts x 4 at 4Ω (with <1% THD+N)
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 93 dBA (1 watt into 4Ω)
Other Power Ratings:
- 80 watts x 4 at 2Ω (14.4V supply voltage, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD)
- 160 watts x 2 at 4Ω bridged
Protection Circuitry: The amp has three protection circuits:
- Thermal: turns the amp off when the operating temperature is too high
- Short Circuit: turns the amp off when the speaker outputs are short-circuited
- DC Offset: turns the amp off when it generates direct current
Controls: The amplifier's controls are located on the top, under a removable cover. There are independent controls for the front and rear channels. The rotary controls can be set with a small slotted screwdriver (not included). The amp's controls include:
- Level: The Input Level control is rotary dial that sets the amp's input to the output of the source unit. The amp will accept a Line Level input between 0.3V and 6V, or a High Level (speaker level) input between 3V and 12V.
- Crossover: The crossover can be set to High Pass, Low Pass, or Off (full range) via a 3-way switch. The crossover cutoff frequency can be set via a rotary control (labeled "Filter") between 50Hz and 300Hz.
- Subsonic Filter: The Subsonic Filter sets the low end of the frequency range, and filters out extremely low frequencies that cannot be easily reproduced by speakers. With these frequencies eliminated, the amp runs more efficiently and cleanly. The rotary control can set the filter's cutoff frequency between 6Hz and 70Hz.
- Low Boost: The amplifier's Low Boost circuitry increases the bass response around 40Hz from 0dB and +10dB.
Connections: The XM-GS4 features gold-plated connectors that are all aligned on one side of the amplifier for ease of installation. The top cover should be removed when making connections to the amp. The power and speaker output connections are screw terminals that can be tightened/loosened with a slotted or Phillips head screwdriver (not included). The amp includes the following connections:
- Power/Ground Terminals: The power and ground screw terminals are 0.55" wide, and will accept bare wire or spade connectors. An 8-gauge amplifier wiring kit should be used to connect the amp, with a 60A fuse on the power wire within 18" of the battery.
- Remote Terminal: The remote turn on connection is a 0.36" wide screw terminal. A small gauge wire (18 AWG) can be used for this connection.
- Speaker Outputs: There are two pairs of screw terminals for connecting the speaker outputs. Each terminal is 0.36" wide, and will accept bare wire and spade connectors.
- Speaker-level Input Harness: A speaker level input harness with an 8-pin Molex connector is included, allowing you to easily connect the amplifier to a factory radio or a receiver without preamp outputs.
The Sony XM-GS4 replaces these items
- 175 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms
- selectable high- and low-pass filters on front channels
- selectable low-pass filter on rear channels
- 160 watts RMS x 2 bridged
- separate variable high- and low-pass filters for front and rear channels
- preamp and speaker-level inputs
4 questions already asked
I like the compact size and ease of connections. Install directions were clear and diagrams were also. After experimenting with level controls I was able to balance 7 speakers and a Bazooka tube for awesome results of sound quality in my truck cab using a 12 year old Sony Explode dash unit.
Stephen J. from Winfield, WV