About the Sony XNV-660BT
Traveling's good when you're with a passenger who knows the way. Sony combines their audio/video know-how with TomTom's navigation expertise to create the perfect copilot — the XNV-660BT navigation receiver. You'll enjoy the easy-to-read maps on its bright, bold 6.1" touchscreen display, and the confidence of knowing you're not wasting your valuable time driving in circles.
Even the best navigation system is useless if the maps aren't up to date. You can update the XNV-660BT's maps for free up to four times during the first year, so you can drive with the latest info on board. Just plug the TomTom navigation module into your laptop or home computer for software and map updates information that's constantly updated by TomTom users.
You'll appreciate the real world help from your new copilot. Spoken street names let you know exactly where to turn, eliminating the guesswork when you're facing multiple turns. The XNV-660BT also guides you to the correct lane for an upcoming turn, which is a great help in busy interchanges. And TomTom's exclusive IQ Route feature calculates travel time based on actual traffic speeds.
The receiver's built-in Bluetooth lets you take your calls hands-free with compatible phone, and Bluetooth audio streaming means you can listen to music streaming from your smartphone or player without even having to plug it into the stereo.
Raise the flag for high-fidelity sound
The XNV-660BT features Sony's Advanced Sound Engine, a set of versatile sound-shaping tools. You can tailor the sound of your music to your taste with the EQ7 7-band equalizer, and dial in the perfect stereo "sweet spot" with the Listening Position feature. Sony's DM+ Advanced circuitry makes your digital music sound its best by restoring the details that are lost in compressed MP3, WMA, or AAC files.
Your music, at your command
If your tunes are on your iPod® or iPhone®, you'll appreciate that Sony's 1-wire USB connection makes listening to them a simple plug-and-play operation. Quick-BrowZer lets you search for a song by genre, artist, or album. If you've got lots of songs on your iPod, you'll wonder how you ever lived without these two features: the Jump control leaps through your files in 10% increments, while Zappin' plays short musical clips of your tunes until you hear the song that suits your mood. If you want more listening variety, add an optional HD Radio or satellite radio tuner.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most vehicles, you can use this adapter to connect your vehicle's steering wheel controls to this Sony stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and the Sony, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls.
Note: If you're going to use your iPod with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this receiver or its optional iPod adapter.
- DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (17 watts RMS CEA-2006/52 peak x 4 channels)
- TomTom navigation with map coverage of the U.S. and Canada, preloaded with over 6 million points-of-interest
- detachable TomTom navigation module can be updated at your computer
- Advanced Lane Guidance for busy intersections and interchanges
- one year of free map updates
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming built in
- 6.1" touchscreen
- fits double-DIN (4" tall) dash openings
- plays MP3/WMA/AAC music files recorded on CD and USB, plus JPEG picture and MP4 video files recorded on CD and USB
- 24-bit digital-to-analog converter
- high- and low-pass filters
- EQ7 7-band equalizer with 8 preset EQ curves
- built-in iPod control Sony's adapter cable required for viewing video content
- compatible with satellite radio and HD Radio tuners
- inputs: rear USB input, rear A/V input, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer), video output
What's in the box:
- DD in-dash multimedia navigation headunit (10A ATC fuse inserted in chassis)
- Wiring harness
- Auxiliary/preamp-output harness
- RM-X170 remote control (with installed CR2025 3V lithium battery)
- External TomTom navigation module
- TomTom navigation dock
- GPS antenna (with attached 16.25' cable terminated by a proprietary connector)
- Bluetooth microphone (with attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector
- Sun-visor mount
- 5 Self-adhesive clips
- 3M tape
- 39" USB cable (with a USB type-A connector on one end and a mini-USB type-B connector on other end)
- 8 Mounting screws
- 3 Plastic clips
- Self-adhesive mounting plate
- Content Transfer/SensMe Setup CD-ROM
- Operating Instructions (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Installation/Connections booklet (Eng/Fre/Spa)
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Software terms and conditions
- "Caution" note
- "Free 12 month Map Update Service" offer code
- Navigation User Manual note
Sony XNV-660BT reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony XNV-660BT
Features & specs
|Audio/video Input||3 Composite Video|
|USB Port Power||---|
|Backup Camera Input||Yes|
|Second Camera Input||No|
|Alexa Voice Control|
|Memory Card Slot||USB Memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||Both|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||17 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||---|
|Peak Output||52 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Navigation App Compatible (iOS)|
|Navigation App Compatible (Android)|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||White or None|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||10 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
|Music File Playback||MP3, WMA, AAC|
|Second Camera Input Lane Watch||N|
2-DIN Chassis: The Sony XNV-660BT has a 2-DIN chassis (also known as Double DIN or size DD), and will fit in many vehicles with a large dash opening. The unit can be ISO-mounted using factory brackets. The unit does not come with a mounting sleeve to Euro-mount the radio.
Note: As always, please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to verify fit with your vehicle.
6.1" WVGA Touchscreen Display: The Sony XNV-660BT features a fixed 6.1" wide, 17:9 touchscreen display with a TFT active matrix system. The screen has a resolution of 800 (H) x 480 (V) x RGB with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touch screen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy. The unit has a front-loading disc-slot to make loading your disc easier because there is no panel to slide or fold-down.
Dual Screen: When the XNV-660BT is in Navigation mode, you can view the main navigation screen and a smaller sub-window of the current AV source at the same time. You can place the smaller sub-window in the upper left/right or lower left/right of the screen.
Background Adjustments: You can select the screen theme, visualizer, and picture brightness (Day/Night/Auto) for the unit's background screen according to your preference.
Note: The Auto Brightness function will dim this unit's display automatically when the vehicle light switch is turned On when you connect orange/white Illumination wire of this player's harness.
Picture EQ: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, Sepia, or Custom (1/2). The Custom (1/2) Picture EQ modes allow you to make your won picture quality settings by adjusting the picture tones manually. You can adjust the Brightness, Color, and Color Tone (warm/normal/cool).
Picture Mode: You can change the screen's Picture Mode to suit your video content. You can choose from Normal, Wide, Full, or Zoom.
Multi-Language Display: For your convenience, this unit is equipped with a multiple language display. You can select the language which is best suited to your first language - English, French, and Spanish.
Track List: The Sony XNV-660BT displays a list of albums, folders, tracks, images, or video files stored on a disc or USB device, so you can quickly search your audio/video content.
Gesture Commands: You can perform frequently-used operations by making command strokes across the XNV-660BT touchscreen display.
Front Panel Controls: In addition to the head unit's touchscreen controls, the XNV-660BT also offers a rotary knob and hard-key buttons along the left side of the screen.
Parking Brake Detection: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied 22-pin harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off), you can still view all of the other displays and menus.
Security Code: This unit has a 4-digit security code function to discourage theft. Once the security function is activated, you need to enter the security code to turn on the unit after reinstalling the unit in another car or charging the battery.
Auto Off: When installing in a vehicle without an accessory power wire at the radio location, you can set the unit to turn off all lighting a set amount of time after you turn the power off. The Auto Off feature can be set to 30 seconds, 30 minutes, 60 minutes, or No.
TomTom Navigation: The Sony XNV-660BT features TomTom Navigation. TomTom navigation incorporates real world, real-time feedback, providing accurate mapping information.
External Navigation Module: The Sony XNV-660BT includes an external TomTom navigation module (with GPS receiver) & dock. The external navigation module is inserted into the external dock and the dock is then plugged into the proprietary connector on the rear-panel of the XNV-660BT.
Note: The navigation module & dock measure 2.575" (w) x 6.615" (h) x 1.285" (d).
GPS Antenna: The XNV-660BT includes a GPS antenna with a magnetic base. The antenna should be placed on the roof of the vehicle. The GPS antenna features a 16.25' cable terminated by a proprietary connector which plugs into the included navigation dock.
Note: The GPS antenna measures 1.295" (w) x 0.515" (h) x 1.452" (d).
GPS Receiver: The external TomTom navigation module is equipped with a high-sensitivity GPS receiver to obtain your GPS location accurately. The Global Positioning System (GPS) is a satellite-based system that provides location and timing information around the globe.
QuickGPSfix: QuickGPSfix technology speeds up the time it takes to fix your GPS position so you are on your way quicker.
Preloaded Maps: The external TomTom navigation module is equipped with preloaded Tele Atlas maps of the United States (including Puerto Rico), and Canada with over 6 million points-of-interest (POIs). The built-in maps provide door-to-door accurate navigation across the United States and Canada. Coverage areas include:
1 Year Free Map Updates: Ensuring that the digital map content remains completely up-to-date, included in the box are 4 verified US and Canada map updates for the first year.
My TomTom Software: My TomTom makes it easy to get new software, download new maps, and access free content for the external TomTom navigation module. Simply bring the external TomTom navigation module from your car into your home and connect it to your computer via USB with the supplied cable.
Map Correction With Map Share: Map Correction allows you to make alterations to the map data on the Sony multimedia navigation head unit. You can block or unblock a street, reverse the traffic direction of a street, edit a street name, add a missing POI, or edit an existing POI. You can correct this information on the device as well as send this information to TomTom for review. You can also join the community of TomTom users to share and use map corrections.
Navigation Map: The Sony XNV-660BT displays a real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route. It will show map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways and towns. Your route is marked with a magenta line. A checkered flag marks your destination. As you travel, the XNV-660BT guides you to your destination with arrows on the map and directions at the bottom of the screen. During your calculated route, the current time, your arrival time, current speed, and total travel miles are displayed at the bottom of the map screen. The unit allows you to zoom, pan, and point using the touchscreen during navigation. You can select one of three map orientation displays:
- 2D Track Up: Two-dimensional map that constantly displays the route from bottom to top of the screen.
- 2D North Up: Two-dimensional map that constantly displays North at the top of the screen.
- 3D Track Up: Three-dimensional map that constantly displays the route from bottom to top of the screen.
IQ Routes: The external TomTom navigation module is equipped with IQ Routes technology (for US and Canada). When you select a destination, the unit calculates the fastest route possible using actual average speeds of travel rather than posted speed limits.
Advanced Lane Guidance: The XNV-660BT helps you prepare for highway exits and intersections by showing you which lane you should be in (US only).
Text-to-Speech: The unit features loud and clear spoken instructions through your vehicle's speakers. When driving to your destination, the XNV-660BT will announce turn-by-turn directions, including street names and road numbers.
On-Screen Keyboard: The Sony XNV-660BT features an on-screen keyboard to enter specific data. The layout of the unit's on-screen keyboard can be changed. You can select between 'ABCD', 'QWERTY', 'AZERTY', and QWERTZ keyboard layouts.
Help Me!: The 'Help (Where am I?)' feature provides and easy way for you to find and contact emergency services centers and other specialist services around you current location. This menu provides locations and phone numbers for these services. The 'Help Me!' menu also includes a selection of useful documents covering topics such as First Aid and car maintenance.
Navigate To: The 'Navigate To:' menu is the simplest and most useful starting point in most situations. Given your current GPS position, you can use this to navigate to any given address, intersection, favorite location, POI (Point Of Interest), and so on. You can choose from the following options:
- Home: Once your home location is stored in memory, it can be quickly be chosen as a destination.
- Favorite: The locations that you visit frequently can be stored in the Favorite menu. A Favorite can be chosen as a destination without having to enter its address each time.
- Address: This option lets you enter a City, Street Name/House Number, Zip code or Intersection to navigate to.
- Recent Destination: You can display a list of addresses, Points Of Interest and other destinations that you've used recently.
- Point Of Interest: This option lets you choose from a database of over 6 million points-of-interests in 60 different categories; such as railway stations, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs, and so on.
- Point On Map: You can use the map browser to select a destination, scroll around the map, zooming in or out as needed.
- Coordinates: You can enter latitude and longitude coordinates as your destination.
Favorite Locations: The Favorite menu allows you to store locations that you visit frequently into memory. You can choose a favorite location the same way you choose a destination. The following menu options are available; Home, Address, Recent Destination, Point On Map, and Coordinates.
Route Planning: Route Planning allows you to determine how the multimedia navigation head unit calculates your planned route. You can choose from several different route types to suit your travel preference - Fastest Route, Shortest Route, Eco Route. You can also choose to avoid or use the following road types - Highways, Toll-Roads, Ferries, Car Pool Lanes, or Unpaved Roads.
Route Information: If you already have a route planned, you can explore it in various ways by choosing 'Route Information'. You can choose from the following options:
- Show Instructions: This option provides a simple list of the junctions involved and the distances (or times, use the 'Options' button to change the numbers shown) between them.
- Show Map of Route: Using this option presents each junction in 3D, with your turn instruction clearly marked.
- Show Route Demo: This feature shows an animation of your route.
- Show Route Summary: This option allows you to display the graphical overview of your route that was shown when it was first calculated.
- Show Destination: This option displays the destination point on the map.
Change Route: Once a route has been planned, you can change it using the 'Change Route...' menu. You can choose from the following options:
- Calculate Alternative: You can find an alternative route if you don't like the original route.
- Avoid Roadblock: If you spot signs of trouble (such as backed-up traffic or 'Delays ahead' warning signs), you can choose this menu option. You need to estimate whether the blockage extends 100 yards, 1/4 mile, 1 mile or 3 miles ahead of your current position and then select the appropriate icon.
- Change Destination: You can change your previously entered destination.
- Travel via...: Choose 'Travel via...' if you want to make sure the planned route goes past a particular location, perhaps to pick up or drop someone off. The new location is selected the same as you would pick a departure point or destination.
- Avoid Part of Route: This menu option allows you to avoid intersections that are known for heavy traffic.
Auto Re-calculation: This unit will automatically re-calculate your route if you detour from the planned one.
True Fidelity Sound Construction: The Sony XNV-660BT AV Center features a newly developed sound processor for less distortion, an S-MOSFET IC for smooth signal transmission, and a large-sized capacitor for deep bass sound.
24 Bit D/A Converter: The Sony XAV060 utilizes a 24-bit digital to analog converter for superior CD sound quality.
CEA2006 Compliant Amplifier: The power specifications for the Sony XNV-660BT are compliant with the CEA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the XNV-660BT are as follows:
- Continuous Power Output: 17 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 52 watts x 4-channels (208 total watts)
5CH Preamp Outputs: The Sony XNV-660BT is equipped with 4-volt Front, Rear, and Sub pre-amp outputs with selectable LPF/HPF (Low Pass Filter/High Pass Filter) functionality, giving you the ability to customize the sound output to your external amplifiers.
- High-Pass Filter: The front and rear speaker outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
- Low Pass Filter: The subwoofer output is non-fading with a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off. You can also adjust the subwoofer preamp output's Phase (Normal/Reverse).
EQ7: You can select an equalizer curve from eight music types - Xplod, Vocal, Edge, Cruise, Space, Gravity, Custom, or Off (Flat). The Custom EQ7 mode allows you to make your own equalizer settings. You can adjust the level (+/-8) of seven different frequency bands - 62Hz, 157Hz, 396Hz, 1kHz, 2.5khz, 6.3khz, and 16kHz.
Sound Balance/Fader: The sound balance between the left and right speakers (Balance) and front and rear speakers (Fader) can be adjusted to your preference. You can also adjust the volume level (+/-6) of the subwoofer preamp output.
ASE (Advanced Sound Engine): The Sony XNV-660BT offers multi-channel playback with its Advanced Sound Engine, featuring Intelligent Time Alignment (ITA) and Center Speaker Optimizer (CSO) to create a virtual 5.1 listening experience to rival the most advanced home theater equipment.
- ITA (Intelligent Time Alignment): This unit can change the localization of sound by delaying the sound output from each speaker and subwoofer to suit your position, and simulate a natural sound filed with the felling of being in the center of it wherever you sit in the car. The options for the Listening Positions are - Front Left, Front Right, Front Center, All, Custom, or Off. The Custom ITA mode allows you to precisely calibrate your listening position from each speaker so that the sound delay reaches the listener more correctly. measure the distance between your listening position and each speaker and the speaker distance from 0 to 13.1' (in 0.8125' increments). You can also set the subwoofer distance of the subwoofer to Near, Normal, or Far.
- CSO (Center Speaker Organizer): To fully enjoy surround sound, it is adequate to have 5 speakers (front left/right, rear left/right, center) and 1 subwoofer. CSO allows you to create a virtual center channel speaker even though a real center speaker is not connected.
RBE (Rear Bass Enhancer): RBE enhances the bass sound by applying the low-pass filter setting to the rear speakers. This function allows the rear speakers to work as a subwoofer even if there is no subwoofer connected.
Dolby D Level: You can adjust the audio output level for a DVD recorded in Dolby Digital format, to reduce the volume level differences between disc and source.
Audio DRC (Dynamic Range Compression): The Audio DRC function makes the sound clear when the volume is low. Audio DRC only works on Dolby Digital DVD discs.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation. This function can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Tuner: The Sony XNV-660BT features a built-in SSIR-EXA AM/FM tuner with RDS. The unit offers manual, seek and preset AM/FM tuning.
Preset Tuning: The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- Best Tuning Memory (BTM): This feature selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- Manual Tuning: You can manually tune and find your favorite radio stations one by one for FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
Auto Tuning: You can use the seek button to help you search quickly through the available stations and then choose your own presets from these available stations.
Local Seek Mode: In the Local Seek Mode, the unit will only tune in stations with very strong signals during Seek tuning.
Mono Mode: The Mono Mode allows you improve poor FM reception by selecting a monaural signal instead of a stereo signal.
IF Filter: You can switch the tuner's IF filter to "Auto" to narrow automatically the reception frequency to eliminate unwanted noise, or "Wide" to always hear FM stereo broadcasts with full frequency signal reception.
RDS: Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations. FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal.
HD Radio Ready: The Sony XNV-660BT is compatible with Sony's optional XT-100HD add-on HD Tuner (158XT100HD, sold separately) through its UniLink Bus connection. HD Radio technology, where available, offers higher quality sound than conventional analog broadcasts and receives text data. HD Radio provides FM broadcasts that are equal to CD sound quality and AM broadcasts that are as good as analog FM stereo broadcasts. HD Radio also provides a variety of data, including station name, song title, artist name, album name, etc. Once connected, all AM and FM broadcasts are received by the XT-100HD. HD appears as an additional source, with five preset banks; HD1 (FM1), HD2 (FM2), HD3 (FM3), HD4 (AM1), and HD5 (AM2). In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 8 multicast programs (HD1 to HD8 and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
Note: Right now there are about 2,000 radio stations broadcasting using digital HD Radio technology in the U.S. To find HD Radio stations in your area, visit the HD Radio website (HDRadio.com).
Satellite Radio Ready: There are several options for connecting an optional satellite radio receiver to this head unit:
- SIRIUS Satellite Radio: To receive SIRIUS Satellite Radio, you can connect the optional SCC1 SiriusConnect Vehicle Tuner and the optional SNYSC1 Sony interface module (package item number 700SIRSONY, sold separately). You can also connect select dock-and-play and portable SIRIUS radios to the head unit via the Sony SNYSC1 interface module (607SNYSC1, sold separately) and the SiriusConnect Plug & Play Dock (607SCVDOC1, sold separately).
- XM Satellite: To receive XM Satellite Radio connect the optional CNP2000UCA XM Tuner and the Sony CNP-SON1 adapter cable (package item number 700XMSON2, sold separately).
Note: A subscription is also required to receive satellite radio programming from SIRIUS or XM.
Compatible Discs: The Sony XNV-660BT supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, DVD-/+R DL, CD-Audio, CD-R/RW, CD-ROM, and VCD discs.
MP3/WMA/AAC Playback: The Sony XNV-660BT allows you to playback CD-Rs, CD-RWs, CD-ROMs loaded with MP3 (48-192 kbps), WMA (64-192 kbps), or AAC (40-320 kbps) songs recorded in ISO 9660 level 1 or 2, Joliet/Romeo, or Multi-Session. The XNV-660BT can support up 256 folders, and a combined 2,000 folders and files on a disc. The head unit will also display song information for MP3 (15/30/63/126-characters), WMA (63-characters), and AAC (126-characters) music files.
Note: Copyright protected ACC-LC files cannot be played back.
JPEG/MPEG-4 Playback: This unit can play back JPEG (720 x 480) still image files recorded onto DVD-R/W, DVD+R/W discs. The unit also supports video playback of MPEG-4 (720 x 480/30fps) NTSC video files recorded onto DVD-R/W and DVD+R/W discs.
Media List: The XNV-660BT will display a list of albums, folders, tracks, images, and video files recorded on your disc for you to select from. This function is especially convenient for discs with MP3, WMA, AAC, JPEG, and MPEG-4 files.
Zappin: With the Zappin feature, you can play music (files or folders) in 6, 15, or 30-second clips until you find the song you are looking for on your CD or connected USB device.
Direct Search: You can directly locate a desired point on a disc by specifying the title number, chapter number, track, image, or file.
Repeat and Shuffle Play: The Sony XNV-660BT provides Repeat and Shuffle playback modes for various media content.
- Repeat: DVD (Title/Chapter), CD/VCD (Track), MP3/WMA/AAC (Track/Album), JPEG (Image/Album), MPEG-4 (Movie/Album).
- Shuffle: DVD (Title), CD/VCD (Disc), MP3/WMA/AAC/JPEG/MPEG-4 (Album)
Multi-Disc Resume: The Sony XNV-660BT can store the playback resume settings in its memory for up to 5 DVD discs.
Parental Control: You can lock a disc, or set playback restrictions according to a predetermined level such as viewer age. Restriction levels can also be set depending on the area and its movie ratings. Restricted scenes can be blocked or replaced with different scenes when a parental control compatible DVD is played.
Off Load/Eject: The DVD/CD disc can be loaded and ejected with the power off.
Auto Reload: The CD player will automatically reinsert the disc if it's ejected but not removed for 20 seconds or more.
Mounting Angle: For proper DVD/CD playback, this unit must be mounted between 0 (horizontal) and 45 degrees.
USB Input: The receiver's rear-panel Type-A USB input (attached by a 58" pigtail) can be used for plugging in a (MSC) Mass Storage Class or MTP (Media Transfer Protocol) type USB device. The head unit can play music files stored on the USB device in MP3 (48-192kbps), WMA (64-192kbps), or AAC (40-320 kbps) formats. The head unit can recognize up to 256 folders and 2,000 total tracks when connected to a USB device.
Note: This unit cannot recognize USB devices via a USB hub.
iPod/iPhone Compatible: The rear-panel USB port and AUX 1 video input are compatible with select iPod/iPhone devices when used with the optional Sony RC-202IPV adapter (158202IPV, sold separately). The USB Direct Connection enables high-speed iPod/iPhone data communications via the optional RC-202IPV (2-Wire) interface. One end of the cable plugs directly into your iPod's dock connector while the other end of the cable uses two connectors that plug into the back of the XNV-660BT. The USB type-A connector portion of the cable plugs into the receiver's USB port and handles the metadata, control, charging, and audio playback of your iPod/iPhone, so you can navigate through your music and video files using the head unit's touchscreen controls and view song and movie info, as well as album art on its display. The USB connection allows your iPod/iPhone's stored music to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter, allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 120dB. The composite video connector of the cable plugs into the unit's Aux 1 video input and transfers the video images from your iPod/iPhone to the Sony head unit. The controls of the XNV-660BT are seamless when used with the optional RC-202IPV and include metadata browsing, as well as the ability to choose from various iPod/iPhone playback modes to suit your listening application (you can also choose to control your iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen or clickwheel). If you require audio playback only, you can plug your compatible iPod/iPhone directly into the head unit's rear-panel USB port using your iPod/iPhone's dock connector cable (no additional adapter required). The Sony XNV-660BT and the RC-202IPV iPod adapter cable is 'Made for iPod/iPhone' compatible and supports the following iPod/iPhone model features (as of Nov. 2011):
|iPod/iPhone Model||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Headunit||iPod/iPhone||Song/Artist Text||Track Info|
| clickwheel |
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the headunit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to revert to the older software version or wait until a newer software update is available.
Dual Audio/Video Inputs: The XNV-660BT is equipped with two audio/video inputs for connecting an external audio/video source. Each audio/video input consists of a composite video jack and a pair of stereo RCA jacks. You can adjust the audio level of the audio/video inputs from +/-18.
Video Output: There is rear-panel composite video output for connecting for connecting an external display. You can select an aspect ratio suitable for your connected monitor. You can choose from 16:9, 4:3 Letter-Box, or 4:3 Pan&Scan.
Rear View Camera: The Sony XNV-660BT is equipped with a composite video Rear View Camera input. The head unit features a function that automatically switches to the rear camera image (Rear View Camera In jack) when an optional rear camera (sold separately) is installed on your vehicle. When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (the purple/white wire in the preamp output harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). You can view a Normal or Reversed (mirror) image.
Bluetooth Communication: XNV-660BT includes HFP (1.5), OPP, PBAP, A2DP, and AVRCP (1.3) Bluetooth (ver.2.0 + EDR) profile support so you can sync your car stereo system with your Bluetooth-enabled devices. Bluetooth is a two-way wireless communication system allowing you to make and receive cell phone calls, and listen to a Bluetooth audio device from the Sony head unit. Bluetooth wireless technology operates on a 2.4GHZ frequency band within a range of about 10 meters (about 33 feet).
Pairing: Up to 9 phones or audio devices can be registered with XNV-660BT (only one device can be used at a time). The unit can be set to automatically reconnect to the last connected Bluetooth device when the ignition is turned on. You can adjust the volume for each connected Bluetooth audio device from -8 to +18dB.
Note: Not all Bluetooth mobile phones will be compatible. Please visit Sony eSupport for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Hands-Free Talk (HFP 1.5/OPP/PBAP): Once XNV-660BT is paired to your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone, you can make and receive hands-free calls from the Sony head unit. The unit's touchscreen controls can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. XNV-660BT can even be setup to automatically answer a call. The unit comes with an external microphone with adjustable gain so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the other party through your car's front speakers. During a conversation, you can switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode. Using XNV-660BT, you can dial a phone number in one of the following ways:
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's touchscreen display.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing.
- Phone Book: You can store up to 300 contacts in the unit's phone book and up to 5 phone numbers can be registered to each contact.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Voice Dial: You can make a call using the voice tags stored on your connected cellular phone.
External Microphone: The included external microphone provides Echo and Noise Cancellation, with an adjustable Mic Gain to provide great audio performance even in noisy environments. The microphone features an attached 13' cord terminated by a right-angle male 3.5mm connector which plugs into the microphone input on the rear chassis of the Sony head unit. The microphone also includes an adjustable mounting clip which can be placed on your sun-visor or dash inside the vehicle.
Note: The external microphone measures 0.425" (diameter) x 1.0625" (depth).
Data Lock: To prevent unauthorized access to personal information, you can lock call data by setting a 4-digit code. Once locked, you need to enter the coded to access the items in the call menu.
Music Streaming (A2DP/AVRCP): You can listen to music from an audio device that supports A2DP Bluetooth technology. Cellular phones that support A2DP and have music stored in its memory can be played through this head unit. You can listen to and perform basic playback operations from an audio device that supports AVRCP Bluetooth technology. XNV-660BT provides Play, Pause, and Skip (Next/Previous) playback functions.
IR Remote Control (RM-X170): The included IR wireless remote (RM-X170) lets you control the basic functions of your system while keeping your eyes on the road.
Steering Wheel Controls: This unit has a 3.5mm minijack input for adding the optional PAC SWI-PS steering wheel remote interface (127SWIPS, sold separately). The SWI-PS interface allows you to retain the use of your steering wheel and/or rear seat radio controls when replacing the factory head unit in select vehicles with a Sony head unit with wired remote capability.
Note: Please consult the Crutchfield Car Selector to see if your vehicle is compatible.
Content Transfer/SensMe Setup CD-ROM: The included SensMe intuitive music application ,with 12 tone analysis, keeps your USB stored music (Not iPod/iPhone) in tune with your mood. SensMe actually looks at the beats-per-minute and automatically groups your music into channels, making listening and managing all of your content even simpler. You can select and play a channel that fits your mood from the following categories.
- Time of Day: Tracks are recommended for each time of day. Choose from Morning, Daytime, Evening, Night, or Midnight.
- Music Type: Plays tracks according to the music type. Choose from Energetic, Relax, Upbeat, Mellow, Lounge, Emotional, Dance, and Extreme.
- Driving Type: Plays track that are suitable for type of driving. Choose from Freeway, Chillout Drive, Weekend Trip, Midnight Cruise, Party Ride, Morning Commute, and Going Home.
- Mood Map: Distributes tracks as dots on a two-axis mood map, based on the characteristics of individual tracks (last 200 tracks transferred). Simply touch a point on the map according to your Mood (Sad/Happy), Type (Acoustic/Electronic), Style (Soft/Hard), or Time (Morning/Midnight) and a circle appears around the touched point, and the tracks inside that circle are played.
Note: Use of the supplied software (Content Transfer/SensMe Setup) is required to enable the SensMe function on this head unit. The software must be downloaded to your PC (compatible with Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7) and your USB device connected to your computer. The SensMe software is not compatible with iPod or iPhone.
System Requirements: Your computer must meet the following system requirements to download the included software.
- OS: Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
- CPU: Intel Pentium III Processor 450 MHz or higher
- Ram: 256 MB or more (Windows XP), 512 MB or more (Windows Vista or later)
- Monitor: High color (16-bit) or more, 800 x 600 dots or more
- Connection: Internet
- Drive: CD-ROM
- Port: USB