About the Sony STR-ZA1100ES
Sony ES quality
This Sony ES receiver offers precise home theater decoding and solid power, so you can crank up thrilling surround sound. You get built-in amplification for up to seven speakers, and HDMI connections that support high-quality 4K video signals. This advanced receiver offers built-in support for Control4, Crestron, Savant, and other third-party home automation systems. And the five-year warranty is a nice touch.
Power and Processing:
- 7-channel amplifier
- 90 watts per channel into 6 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- Dolby Atmos processing for use with in-ceiling or "height" speakers for more enveloping surround sound
- supports a 5.1.2 Atmos system
- DTS:X for an immersive, 3-dimensional soundstage
- DCAC EX auto calibration with virtual speaker relocation for easy, accurate speaker setup even in tricky spaces
- upscales HD video signals to 4K
- In-Ceiling Speaker mode virtually relocates sound from front and center in-ceiling speakers to the front of the room for improved synchronization with your TV
- web browser control via PC or tablet for setting up receiver and adjusting settings
- network connection offers IP control for use with custom home automation systems
- network functions require a wired connection to your router
- 4 custom presets for one-button recall of source and settings
- built-in support for Control4, Crestron, Savant, and other home automation systems
- IR, 12-volt trigger, and RS232C connections for use with external controllers
- three-room/three-source output
- line-level stereo audio outputs for 2nd and 3rd rooms
- surround back channels can be reassigned as powered Zone 2 outputs (allows 5.2 home theater in main room)
- HDMI dual-zone switching for watching HD content from different sources in two zones simultaneously
- Zone 2 composite video output
- HDMI, optical, and coaxial digital sources cannot be output to Zone 3
- HDMI 2.0a audio/video switching: 5 in, 2 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (all inputs and monitor outputs)
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10
- supports eARC with firmware update
- component video switching: 2 in
- composite video switching: 2 in, 2 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 4 analog stereo audio inputs
- 2 analog stereo audio outputs (variable)
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- preamp outputs for 2 powered subwoofers
- outputs for seven speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R, Surround Back L/R)
- Ethernet port for IP control and web browser setup
- front-panel USB port for firmware updates and backing up receiver settings (no audio or video playback capability)
- detachable power cable
- 4K and 3D pass-through
- BRAVIA Sync for one-remote operation with compatible Sony components
- intuitive on-screen user interface (via HDMI only)
- 60 AM/FM presets
- remote control
- 16-15/16"W x 6-7/8"H x 16-3/16"D
- weight: 27.8 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # STRZA1100ES
What's in the box:
- 7.2ch AV receiver
- 6' AC power cord
- Remote control (RM-AAU217)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Auto-calibration microphone
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna
- Front-panel cover
- Operating Instructions
- Startup Guide
- Correct Speaker Connection note
- Warranty Information
- Online Product Registration
Sony STR-ZA1100ES reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Sony STR-ZA1100ES
Features & specs
ES (Elevated Standard) Series: The Sony STR-ZA1100ES AV receiver is part of Sony's ES (Elevated Standard) line-up. The AV receiver's incredible sound quality comes from care and craftsmanship with the ultimate goal of creating powerful sound while eliminating distortion.
- Every detail from the removable aluminum faceplate, to electronic component selection, special 2nd generation ES solder, structural/chassis elements, and even screw placement has been scrutinized and tuned in the higher interest of reliably consistent sound performance.
- The STR-ZA1100ES offers improved structural stability for better sound via the analog signal path. This circuit is located on a glass epoxy board, in order to achieve higher speed and power.
- The receivers incorporate three powerful DSPs, which reduce noise and provide clear sound localization and ambience. These processors are mounted, together with a high-grade electrolytic capacitor, on the receiver's power line to ensure an ample supply of clean power and optimal performance.
- To further enhance sound quality, this new Sony ES receiver utilizes high capacity transformers with localized power supplies, low phase noise precision crystal oscillators, and sonically tuned audio grade resistors.
Note: The STR-ZA1100ES comes with an industry leading 5-year parts and labor warranty, 90-day advanced exchange program, and dedicated toll-free support line staffed by CEDIA-trained product experts (1-877-619-7669; Monday - Friday 10am - 7pm ET).
Assignable 7-Channel Amplifier: The Sony STR-ZA1100ES AV receiver is equipped with a 7-channel amplifier rated at 90 watts (into 6-ohms, at 20-20khz, with 0.09% THD, driving 2 channels). The AV receiver's Surround Back/Height amplifier channels can be configured to accommodate a variety of home theater setups.
- 7.1Ch: The Sony STR-ZA1100ES provides 7.1ch surround in your main listening area with dedicated Surround Back speakers. Allows you to enjoy high-fidelity reproduction of Dolby Digital TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, and DTS-HD (High-Resolution Audio or Master Audio).
- 5.1.2Ch: A Dolby Atmos 5.1.2ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1ch speaker layout (Front, Center, Surround) complemented by two Front Height, Overhead, or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers. In this configuration, the receiver's Surround Back/Height amplifier channels are used to power the Dolby Atmos speaker channels.
- 5.1Ch Bi-Amp: The Surround Back/Height speaker channels can be reassigned and used along with the Front channels to bi-amp the front speakers, providing improved bass & treble performance. When bi-amping the front speakers the receiver is limited to a 5.1ch speaker system in the main room (no Surround Back or Height speakers).
- 5.1Ch + Zone 2: The receiver is able to power a 5.1ch speaker system (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R) in the main listening area, while powering Zone 2 speakers in a second room. Surround Back or Height speakers are not available.
- 5.1Ch + Front B: With a 5.1ch home theater setup in the main listening room, a second pair of front speakers for dedicated 2ch music playback can be powered by the receiver's Surround Back/Height amplifier channels.
D.C.A.C. EX with Speaker Relocation: The STR-ZA1100ES incorporates Sony's Auto Calibration technology, D.C.A.C. EX (Digital Cinema Auto Calibration EX) with Speaker Relocation. Utilizing a stereo microphone and 31 EQ bands, D.C.A.C. EX compensates for less than ideal listening environments by closely simulating the soundfield produced using optimally positioned and angled speakers. D.C.A.C. EX performs the following automatic calibrations -
- Checks the connection between each speaker and the receiver
- Measures the speaker sized and adjusts the speaker level
- Measure the EQ frequency and Phase characteristics of each speakers
- Measures the distance of each speaker from your seating position.
Note: The D.C.A.C.EX is designed to achieve proper sound balance for your room. However, you can adjust the speaker levels manually according to your preference if you prefer.
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||8ch, 32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|DSD||2ch, 2.8 MHz, 1-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
|High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Atmos, Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS:X, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution|
|Optical/Coaxial||2Ch Linear PCM||2ch, 32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Multichannel Linear PCM||6ch, 32-96Hz, 16/20/24-bit|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS ES, DTS 96/24|
Immersive Surround Sound: The Sony STR-ZA1100ES AV receiver goes beyond regular surround with the latest immersive surround sound formats, including Dolby Atmos & DTS:X.
- Dolby Atmos: With Dolby Atmos, sound comes alive from all directions, including overhead, to fill your home theater with astonishing clarity, power, detail, and depth. The STR-ZA1100ES has the processing power to run a more enveloping 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos layout utilizing ceiling mounted or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers (sold separately). A 5.1.2ch speaker configuration is based upon a traditional 5.1 speaker layout complemented by 2 overhead or Dolby Atmos-enabled speakers.
- DTS:X (Available Firmware Update): DTS:X is the next generation object-based, multi-dimensional audio technology from DTS. Unbound from channels, DTS:X conveys the fluid movement of sound to create an incredibly rich, realistic and immersive soundscape - in front of, behind, beside and above the audience - more accurately than ever before. DTS:X offers the ability to automatically adapt the audio to the speaker layout that best fits your space.
Post Decoding Formats: The Sony AV receiver supports Dolby Surround, DTS Neural:X, and DTS Neo:6 (Music/Cinema) to enhance 2-channel and multichannel decoding formats.
- Dolby Surround: Dolby Surround offers an enhanced cinema experience to your 2ch or multichannel movie soundtracks using your existing 5.1ch, 7.1ch or Dolby Atmos speaker setup. Dolby Surround enhances audio definition by improving the spatial dimension and overall audio definition of movie soundtracks. It does this by using four distinct surround zones that provide greater control over the exact placement of each detail in a movie sound track, so audio can be matched more accurately to the video on screen; this means more depth and greater realism for your movies. As a result, individual sounds are clearer and more distinct. It also improves the surround sound experience across the entire theater by widening the listening "sweet spot".
- DTS Neural:X (Available Firmware Update): DTS:X incorporates Neural:X, the latest spatial remapping technology from DTS, which provides a fully immersive output for all types of source content; this includes DTS bitstreams and non-encoded (PCM) data. Neural:X delivers a thrilling sense of immersive sound to your speaker layout regardless of the original source format.
- DTS Neo:6: DTS Neo:6 is an advanced matrix decoder that takes any two-channel source (including television broadcasts, CDs and DVDs) and expands it into five or six channels. It also provides separate, optimized modes for stereo music materials and matrix surround motion picture soundtracks. DTS Neo:6 brings you a more revealing sound from ordinary stereo and a more expansive home cinema experience.
Direct Modes For Higher Fidelity Sound: The Sony AV receiver offers two Direct audio modes for higher fidelity sound. The receiver's Analog Direct mode outputs audio from only the front left and right speakers without any tone or DSP processing; only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active. To further enhance sound quality, the receiver's Pure Direct mode not only bypasses the tone and DSP processing, but also turns off the front-panel display to suppress any noise which may affect sound quality.
Special Sound Modes: Sony has developed new special sound modes for in-ceiling speaker installation and simulating a 7.1 channel surround sound system.
- In-Ceiling Speaker Mode: This feature will virtually relocate the front and center in-ceiling speakers down to around the screen. That way, you'll hear the actors' voices coming from the screen instead of the ceiling. This mode also makes music sound more natural in a room with in-ceiling speakers.
- Phantom Surround Back: A new feature called Phantom Surround Back provides a 7.1 channel surround experience with a 5.1 channel speaker configuration.
Advanced Audio Settings: These advanced audio settings allow you to tailor the sound to your source content, listening conditions, and your personal preferences.
- D.L.L. (Digital Legato Linear): The Digital Legato Linear function is a Sony proprietary technology that allows low quality digital audio signals and analog audio signal to be played back with high quality sound.
- Sound Optimizer: The Sound Optimizer lets you enjoy clear and dynamic sound at low volume levels. It automatically calibrates the sound which cannot be heard well when you turn down the volume level. After Auto Calibration is performed, the sound level is optimized to suit your environment.
- Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
- Center Lift Up: By using front high speakers, you can lift up the sounds of the center speaker to an appropriate height on the screen, allowing you to enjoy a more natural representation.
- DTS:X Dialog Control: The DTS:X Dialog Control function is a function which adjusts the dialog levels during playback of the DTS:X stream. This function enables you to increase the dialog levels in contrast with the background sound and hear dialog easily even under noisy circumstances.
- Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass & treble level) of the front speakers from -6dB to +6dB, in 1dB steps.
ARC & eARC Compatible: Along with standard ARC (Audio Return Channel), the Sony AV receiver will support eARC (Enhanced Audio Return Channel) through an available firmware update. ARC and eARC allow audio to be sent from your compatible TV to the AV receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your television. eARC will support uncompressed audio formats like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Atmos, DTS:X, & DTS HD Master Audio - where standard ARC is limited to Dolby Digital, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS, DTS HD, and PCM.
Note: Your TV will also need to support eARC or ARC for this feature to work. Some newer TVs will support eARC, but most TVs only support ARC.
Analog & Digital Inputs: The Sony STR-ZA1100ES offers a variety of analog and digital audio inputs
- Analog Inputs: The STR-ZA1100ES is equipped with four analog audio inputs which consist of stereo RCA jacks. There is no Phono input.
- Digital Inputs: The receiver has two optical digital inputs and one coaxial digital inputs (all assignable). You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel. All of the digital audio jacks are compatible with 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, and 96 kHz sampling frequencies.
Speaker & Sub Outputs: The Sony STR-ZA1100ES is equipped with binding post speaker outputs and dual subwoofer outputs.
- Binding Post Speaker Outputs: The receiver is equipped with binding post terminals for all speaker channels. The binding post terminals will accept bare wire, pin connectors, and banana plugs (dual or single). Use speakers with a 6- to 16-ohm impedance.
- Dual Sub Outputs: For compatibility with dual subwoofer home theater systems, the STR-ZA1100ES features two non-discrete subwoofer outputs. The same signal is output from each sub output.
Note: There is no headphone output jack on this receiver.
Volume Range: The Sony AV receiver has a volume range of 1 (Min) to 73 (Max).
HDMI 2.0a: The receiver is equipped with five HDMI 2.0a inputs and two HDMI 2.0a outputs. All HDMI jacks support 4K, HDR (High Dynamic Range), BT.2020 wide color spaces, 3D, and Deep Color pass-through. HDCP 2.2 and 4:4:4 color subsampling is also support by all of the receiver's HDMI jacks.
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: 4K/60Hz pass-through allows the Sony receiver to receive ultra high-definition resolution video and pass the video signal to a 4K/60Hz compatible TV or display monitor.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the receiver's HDMI jacks. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range): HDR (High Dynamic Range) reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, bringing greater contrast & wider color spectrum to the screen. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. Previously hidden areas of dark shadow and sunlight are now full of clarity and detail. This receiver supports the HDR 10 format right out of the box. It requires an already available firmware update for Dolby Vision and HLG.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The receiver's HDMI jacks support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4 color subsampling for more vibrant and lifelike images, as well as YCbCr 4:2:2 and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling. With 4:4:4, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate, resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
Dual HDMI Outputs: You can toggle or simultaneously output the same video between two displays, such as two televisions or a television plus a projector. Or, you can setup the second HDMI output as a Zone 2 output, so you can view a different audio/video sources in another room of your home (video is output at the resolution supported by both TVs).
4K HDMI Upconversion & Upscaling: The Sony AV receiver's HDMI upconvert/upscale function improves image quality of non-4K sources to ultra-HD. Analog connected device signals (component/composite; up to 1080p) are converted to digital, upscaled to 4K, and output via HDMI, making one cable connection from the receiver to your TV possible. HDMI input video signals (1080p only) are also upscaled to 4K. The HDMI Zone 2 output does not support upscaling.
Color Technologies: The Sony STR-ZA1100ES incorporates Triluminos Color, Super Bit Mapping, & Deep Color technologies for perfect color and smooth gradation.
- Triluminos Color: The Sony receiver incorporates Sony's Triluminos Color technology to create a heightened sense of depth and incredibly true, natural shades of colors. Hard-to-reproduce reds, aqua blues and emerald greens are displayed beautifully, so landscapes and seascapes look more vivid. Faces look better too, with natural skin tones.
- Super Bit Mapping: SBM (Super Bit Mapping) is a function that processes and outputs a smooth gradation video signal from the HDMI output jack.
- Deep Color: The Sony receiver also supports Deep Color which allows the color depth of video signals passing through HDMI to be raised. The number of colors that could be expressed by 1 pixel was 24 bits (16,777,216 colors) with a standard HDMI jack. However, the number of colors which can be expressed by 1 pixel is 36 bits with a Deep Color enabled HDMI jack. Since the gradation of the depth of a color can be expressed more finely with more bits, continuous color changes can be more smoothly expressed.
IMAX Enhanced Technology (Firmware Update Available): Get the most premium at-home entertainment experience with IMAX Enhanced; the latest technology program from IMAX that sets a new standard for image, sound, scale and content quality. This new certification and licensing program combines IMAX digitally re-mastered 4K HDR content and DTS audio technologies to offer a new level of quality in immersive sight and sound experiences in the home. IMAX Enhanced lets you experience premium content digitally remastered by IMAX, so you can watch the highest-quality 4K movies with immersive audio delivered by DTS. Not only will IMAX Enhanced content look and sound amazing, but other audio/video content will also look and sound great too.
- Remastered 4K/HDR Video: It utilizes a sophisticated, advanced algorithm designed to produce the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images. This advanced process accurately reduces noise and grain under the filmmaker's guidance to best optimize the content for a much higher quality, higher brightness 4K HDR display format. Select IMAX Enhanced titles that were shot with IMAX cameras or specially formatted for IMAX theatres will also include an expanded aspect ratio for the film's home release to show your more picture on your TV. IMAX Enhanced certified TVs must be at least 65" with support for HDR10 and dynamic, as well as specific calibration, resolution, color, brightness, contrast, and scale of image capabilities.
- Remastered DTS:X Audio: IMAX and DTS will also partner with award-winning Hollywood sound mixers to use a special variant of its DTS:X codec technology integrated in home audio equipment to deliver an IMAX signature sound experience that is dynamic, immersive, theatrical, and powerful. IMAX Enhanced supports both 5.1 and 11.1 formats, but the recommended speaker layout for an IMAX Enhanced system is 7.2.4 with seven horizontal speakers, two subwoofers and four height speakers; 5.1.4 is the minimum layout for IMAX Enhanced. However, due to various constraints you may opt to install only a 5.1ch speaker system. In such cases, DTS Virtual:X is required to properly render and remap audio to the available speakers.
- Available IMAX Content: IMAX is working with its global studio and other content partners to build a steady stream of IMAX Enhanced versions of movies and other programming using the newest, proprietary post-production process developed by IMAX. IMAX will be announcing and releasing IMAX Enhanced versions of a wide range of films both for 4K/HDR streaming and Ultra HD Blu-ray Discs.
- To take full advantage of IMAX Enhanced, you need an IMAX Enhanced certified 4K/HDR TV (65"-up) or Projector and an IMAX Enhanced certified DTS:X enabled AV receiver or soundbar.
- IMAX and DTS developed the IMAX Enhanced program out of their decades of combined expertise in image and sound science to make it easier for consumers to select the products and content that will deliver the highest-quality, sharpest 4K HDR images and powerful, immersive sound at home.
- To qualify and carry the IMAX Enhanced logo, the highest-end TVs, AV receivers, projectors, sound bars, and must meet stringent performance standards established by IMAX, DTS and Hollywood's leading colorists in order to create a consistent and higher bar for image and sound performance on premium devices.
Other HDMI Features: Other HDMI features of the Sony STR-ZA1100ES receiver include HDMI Standby Pass-Through, AV Sync, and 3D video.
- HDMI Standby Pass-Through: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through feature conveniently allows you to access all your HDMI connected devices without having to power on the receiver.
- AV Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large flat-panel TV. When activated, the delay can be adjusted from 0-300 ms or set to Auto.
- 3D-Ready: The Sony AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
24p True Cinema Mode: The 24p True Cinema Mode allows you to watch movies at their native frame rate 24p format (24 frames per second) when paired with a 24p playback device like a Blu-ray Disc Player.
Analog Video Inputs: The Sony STR-ZA1100ES features two component video inputs featuring an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of supporting high-definition video signals (up to 1080i). The receiver is also fitted with two analog composite video inputs, one composite video monitor output, and a Zone 2 composite video output. The composite video jacks support 480i video signals only. The composite video monitor output and Zone 2 output can only output video from the receivers composite video inputs. The two component video inputs can be out from the receiver's HDMI outputs.
Ethernet Port: The Sony STR-ZA1100ES is equipped with a single Ethernet (RJ-45) port for Music Connect, custom integration, and web control.
- Broadband Line Connection: A Broadband line connection to the Internet is required.
- Modem: This is the device that is connected to the broadband line to communicate with the Internet. Some of these devices are integrated with the router.
- Router: Use a router compatible with 100 Mbps or greater transmission speed to enjoy content on your home network.
- LAN Cable (CAT5): A LAN cable (CAT5) is required for hardwired connection.
Note: Network setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. The receiver's network setup cannot be accessed through its front-panel display.
Music Connect: Sony's unique Music Connect feature allows Z-series AV receivers to slave to the HAP-Z1ES Hi Res Audio player and other networked music players. This allows integrators to combine the power of an ES-grade multichannel sound system with the flexibility of today's wireless multi-zone music systems.
Web Browser Configurable: View, program, and edit receiver settings via your Web Browser on your laptop, computer, smartphone, or tablet. The Sony STR-ZA1100ES and your web browser device must be connected to the same home network. The PING button on the front-panel of the receiver is useful for checking your IP address quickly.
Remote Monitoring: The STR-ZA1100ES allows cloud-based monitoring of power status, temperature and protect status through ihiji, allowing integrators to remotely monitor the health of the receiver.
Firmware Updates via USB: The receiver's front-panel USB port is used for service & firmware updates only. Click here for the latest firmware & software updates.
AM/FM Tuner: The STR-ZA1100ES has 30 presets each for AM and FM for a total of 60. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency. Each preset station can be given an 8 character name.
Zone 2 (Line-Level or Speaker Outputs): Tuner, Analog, HDMI, and Optical/Digital input sources are supported in Zone 2 when using the receiver's Line-Level or Speaker output. The line-level or Speaker Outputs of Zone 2 only support 2ch PCM (not multichannel Dolby Digital/DTS). Using the line-level outputs, Zone 2 can be powered by a separate amplifier, keeping 7.2ch playback in your main room). Using the speaker-level outputs of the STR-ZA1100ES allows you to power Zone 2 from the receiver's built-in amplifier, limiting the main room to 5.2ch. The volume of Zone 2 can be controlled by the Sony receiver using either configuration or from your add-on integrated amplifier when using the line-output.
- Only 2ch PCM signals are output to Zone 2.
- Digital audio stream signals such as DSD and Dolby Digital are not output to Zone 2.
- Multi-channel stream signals are automatically converted to 2 channels signals, and then output to Zone 2 if the same source signals as the main zone are selected in Zone 2.
- If the digital audio signals input from the HDMI, coaxial and optical input jacks on the receiver are not output to Zone 2, set the audio output to 2ch PCM on the connected device.
Zone 2 HDMI & Video Switching: In addition to sending audio to Zone 2, the receiver allows you to output video in the second zone through its HDMI and composite video Zone 2 outputs. Via the receiver's composite video Zone 2 output, you can watch a composite video input signal of the receiver in Zone 2 on a second TV. Via the receiver's HDMI Zone 2 output, you can watch either a composite, component, or HDMI video signal input into the receiver in Zone 2 on another TV. The HDMI Zone 2 will also output multichannel audio (up to 5.1ch) to your second zone's TV or AV receiver from any connected source; including Tuner, Analog, HDMI, and Optical/Digital sources.
Note: The receiver cannot output a different analog signal to the HDMI Zone 2 while an analog signal of the main zone is being output from the main HDMI monitor out.
Zone 3 Audio Only: Zone 3 allows playback of an analog audio source in 2-channel stereo in a third room of your home. Zone 3 only features stereo line-level outputs, so a separate power amplifier is needed to power the speakers in this zone. Tuner and Analog input sources are supported in Zone 3 (Video, HDMI, and Optical/Digital sources cannot be output to Zone 3). The volume of Zone 3 can be controlled by the Sony receiver or your add-on integrated amplifier.
Advanced On-Screen Menu w/ Setup Wizard: You can display the receiver's on-screen menu on your HDMI connected TV screen and select the function you want to use from the on-screen menu using the included IR remote control. You can easily access and manage your input devices and settings with this intuitive 6-panel "activity based" on-screen menu. The STR-ZA1100ES on-screen, set-up wizard will take you through everything you need to create and control your home theater experience.
Note: Initial setup requires that the receiver be connected to your TV via HDMI for display of the on-screen menu. Many of the receiver's setup functions can only be found via the on-screen menu and not the front-panel display.
Custom Presets: The Sony AV receiver features 4 Custom Preset buttons (Movie, Music, Party, and Night) on the remote control to make operating the receiver easier. Pressing a Preset button will automatically launch a number of operations that initiate play of the source controlled by that button; such as powering on the receiver, switching to the appropriate source input, and recalling the selected DSP surround mode.
- Custom Preset 1 (Movie): Pressing the Custom Preset 1 button turns on the receiver and lets you access a video source (default BD/DVD) with its saved soundfield (default HD-D.C.S).
- Custom Preset 2 (Music): Pressing the Custom Preset 2 button turns on the receiver and lets you access an audio source (default SACD/CD) with its saved soundfield (default HD-D.C.S).
- Custom Preset 3 (Party): Pressing the Custom Preset 3 button turns the AV receiver's Zone 2 on automatically and simultaneously plays the same music in Zone 2 as the main zone (regardless of source or input); volume level will be the same in both Zone.
- Custom Preset 4 (Night): Pressing the Custom Preset 4 button turns the AV receiver's sleep timer function on for 30 minutes and activates the receiver's Sound Optimizer.
Note: These buttons can also be reconfigured to automatically select other sources and soundfields.
Input Modes & Naming: When you connect components to both digital and analog audio input jacks on the receiver, you can fix the audio input mode to either of them, or switch from one to the other, depending on the type of material you intend to watch. You can enter a name of up to 8 characters for each of the receiver's inputs (except Tuner) and display the name on its display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of your connected components.
Volume Display: You can set the volume display on the TV screen and display panel. Choose between Relative (indicates the volume in dB) or Absolute (indicates the number of steps).
Dimmer: You can adjust the brightness of the display in 3 steps; Dim Max, Dim Mid, and Dim Off.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Auto Standby: Auto Standby lets you set the receiver switch to standby mode automatically after 30 minutes when you do not operate the receiver or when there is no signal input to the receiver.
IR Remote: The supplied remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony TVs, Sony CD players, Sony DVD players and recorders, and Sony Blu-ray disc players and recorders.
Bravia Sync (HDMI CEC): Sony's Bravia Sync feature allows you to easily manage Bravia Sync compatible Sony televisions and other Bravia Sync compatible Sony audio and video components, plus other brands of HDMI CEC compatible gear that are connected via HDMI with a single remote. By connecting audio/video components that are compatible with the Bravia Sync or HDMI CEC function using an HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a Blu-ray Disc Player, the receiver and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
Control System Integration: The STR-ZA1100ES is controllable over IP, includes 12V trigger output, RS-232C port, and IR input/outputs for more installation options.
- RS-232C Port: The STR-ZA1100ES includes an RS-232C port for connection to external whole-house control systems, from companies such as Crestron, Control 4, and Savant.
- IP Control: You can control this AV receiver from a web control screen on your laptop, computer, tablet, or smartphone's web browser. The STR-ZA1100ES and your web browser device must be connected to the same home network.
- IR In/Outs: The Sony AV receiver is equipped with one IR input and two IR outputs enabling you to operate components connected to the receiver behind a closed door.
- 12V Trigger: The STR-ZA1100ES has a minijack output to send a 12-Volt DC turn-on signal to another component that accepts a 12V trigger.
The Sony STR-ZA1100ES replaces these items
- 7-channel amplifier; 90 watts per channel with 2 channels driven
- network connectivity for web browser setup and advanced IP control and integration with home automation systems
- independent zone 2 HDMI output for enjoying digital A/V sources in a second room
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked