About the AudioControl Avalon G4
Powerful and versatile amplifier
Powerful and versatile amplifier
The Avalon G4 4-channel amplifier features plenty of transparent, assertive power plus flexible configurations that all add up to great sound.
AudioControl's Avalon G4 can play a lot of roles in your home entertainment system setup. For example, it could power your 2.1-channel music system or the Dolby Atmos height channels in your home theater. You could also knock your own socks off by driving a power-hungry pair of floor-standing speakers in two-channel bridged mode.
However you choose to set up this installer-friendly, USA-made amplifier, you'll drive your speakers with clean, quiet, high-current power.
Simple, flexible connections
The Avalon features both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA inputs to connect your preamplifier or home theater processor. RCA "through" outputs for each channel let you loop your audio input signal to another pair of inputs on another device — or another section of the Avalon. Two pairs of five-way binding posts deliver 230 watts per channel, depending on how you configure it.
Fine tune your frequencies
Built-in low-pass and high-pass crossovers are independently selectable and continuously adjustable for channels 1-2 and 3-4. For example, with the first two channels powering your left and right speakers, and channels 3-4 bridged and powering a subwoofer, you could dial in the high-pass filter for your stereo pair and use the low-pass for the subwoofer. That way each of your speakers gets just the right dose of energetic and efficient power from the Avalon.
Or you can bypass the filters altogether and run the amplifier full-range by leaving the crossover switches in the "off" position.
Cool-running Class H amplification
The Avalon's Class H design automatically and intelligently adjusts the amplifier's power supply to fit the power demands of the moment. That means the amp runs cool, holding its immense power in reserve until a Korean drum group or an exploding helicopter demands that it unleash its full fury. This design helps keep too much heat from building up wherever you install the amp.
AudioControl has been designing and manufacturing home and car audio in Washington state for over 40 years. They describe themselves as a group of obsessive audio experts and engineers with a reputation for great customer service — which fits perfectly with what we strive for here at Crutchfield.
- 4-channel amplifier
- 230 watts x 4 into 8 ohms (10-20,000 Hz) at 0.04% THD
- 300 watts x 4 into 4 ohms
- can be bridged for 600 watts x 2 into 8 ohms
- Class H design
- cool-running design intelligently supplies power based on audio dynamics
- signal to noise ratio: 102 dB
- adjustable front-panel cosmetic light bar (bright, dim, off)
- rear-panel independent flathead level controls for each channel for adjusting signal gain
- rear-panel mono/stereo button for channels 1-2 and 3-4
- rear-panel three-way high-pass/low-pass switches for channels 1-2 and 3-4
- flathead crossover adjustments
- independent crossover adjustments: 30-300 Hz, continuously variable
- LightDrive protection circuitry defends amp and speakers against clipping, distortion, and damage
- four unbalanced RCA inputs
- RCA "through" outputs for each channel
- four balanced XLR inputs
- four pairs of five-way binding posts for speakers
- 3.5mm 12V trigger input/output
Dimensions and warranty:
- 17-5/16"W x 3-7/8"H x 17-3/8"D (2U rack spaces)
- weight: 38 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 8611580
What's in the box:
AudioControl Avalon G4 owner's manual
- 4-channel power amplifier
- 68" AC power cord
- Installation Manual
AudioControl Avalon G4 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
This review was collected as part of a promotion
More details on the AudioControl Avalon G4
Features & specs
|Number of Channels||4|
|Power Output per Channel (8 ohms)||230|
|Power Output per Channel (6 ohms)||---|
|Power Output per Channel (4 ohms)||300|
|Bridged Power per Channel||600 watts|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Inputs & Outputs|
|Number of Inputs||4|
|Input Type||RCA. XLR|
|Removable Power Cord||IEC 3-prong|
|Speaker Connectors||Binding Post|
Class H Amplifier Topology: The AudioControl Avalon G4 is built on a unique Class H topology, which provides authoritative power and pristine sonics without generating the excess heat inherent to other designs. The Avalon G4 delivers exceptional detail and clarity thanks to this innovative and highly efficient Class H design that effortlessly achieves a minimum of 230 watts per channels with all channels driven. The Class H design topology provides superb audio quality and bullet-proof reliability, while also reducing heat dissipation by automatically and intelligently adjusting the power supply to fit the continuous and dynamic power demands of your movie & music soundtracks.
- High Current BiMOS Outputs: Home theater audio systems can place incredible demands on a power amplifier. That is why the AudioControl Avalon G4 incorporates high current BiMOS outputs. The high current drive capabilities of AudioControl's BiMOS outputs cleanly delivers 230 watts x 4 channels into 8 ohms and 300 watts x 4 channels into 4 ohms, as well as 600 watts x 2 channels into 8 ohms when bridged.
- LightDrive Anti-Clipping Protection Circuit: The Avalon G4 power amplifier features AudioControl's LightDrive anti-clipping protection circuit, which protects loudspeakers from clipping and distorting even in extreme conditions such as a highly dynamic action movie soundtrack. Each channel is independently protected, so a problem in one channel will not affect the rest of the system.
Multiple Configurations: The Avalon G4 can be configured as a 4.0 channel amplifier, 2.0 channel amplifier or a 2.1 channel amplifier.
- 4.0 Channel: In a 4.0 channel configuration, you can connect two pair of loudspeakers (for a total of 4 speakers) with 230 watts going to each speaker in an 8 ohm load or 300 watts going to each speaker in a 4 ohm load.
- 2.0 Channel: In a 2.0 channel configuration, the 4 channel amplifier can be bridged to power a pair of high power 8 ohm loudspeakers (total of 2 speakers). Amplifier channels 1 and 2 are bridged, while amplifier channels 3 and 4 are also bridged to deliver 300 watts per channels into 8 ohms.
- 2.1 Channel: In a 2.1 channel configuration, the 4 channel amplifier is setup to power a pair of loudspeakers and a single passive subwoofer. One set of amplifier channels (1-2) is in Stereo for connection of a pair of 4 or 8 ohm loudspeakers, while the other set of amplifier channels (3/4) is bridged for connection of one 8 ohm passive subwoofer. The stereo channels deliver 230 watts to each 8 ohm speaker or 300 watts to each 4 ohm speaker, while the mono channel delivers 600 watts to a single 8 ohm passive subwoofer.
High Pass & Low Pass Crossovers: The AudioControl Avalon G4 power amplifier employs high pass and low pass Linkwitz-Riley crossovers that can be configured to suit your speaker and/or subwoofer application. Channels 1 and 2 share a high and low pass crossover, while channels 3 and 4 also share a high and low pass crossover. The crossovers can be set to 30, 45, 80, 100, 120, 200, or 300 Hz. The high and low pass crossovers can also be turned off for a full-range audio signal.
Balanced & Unbalanced Analog Inputs: The AudioControl Avalon G4 is outfitted with both balanced XLR and unbalanced RCA analog inputs to connect to your surround processor or AV preamplifier. The amplifier is equipped with 4 balanced XLR inputs and 4 unbalanced RCA inputs (1-4). Balanced XLR connections and cables provide better noise rejection, especially when running long lengths of cable over 20'.
- Gain Level: You can adjust the Gain Level of each input channel (1-4) individually. Use the Gain Level to calibrate the optimal signal level to drive the Avalon G4 amplifier to full output.
- Stereo/Mono: You can use a channel pair (1-2 and 3-4) in Stereo, or combine a channel pair (1/2 and 3/4) for Mono operation.
Loop-Through Outputs: The Avalon G4 features a unbalanced RCA "loop-through" output for each channel (1-4) for "looping" the audio input signal of a particular input to another amplifier or another input section of the same Avalon G4 amplifier.
Gold-Plated Binding Post Outputs: The Avalon G4 power amplifier is equipped with heavy-duty, gold-plated 5-way binding post speaker output terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual). The binding post are gold-plated for excellent audio signal transfer and resistance to corrosion. In Stereo mode, you can connect up to four pair of 8 ohm loudspeakers (wired in parallel) or two pair of 4 ohm loudspeakers. In Bridged mode, you can connect connect up to a pair of 8 ohm speakers.
12V Trigger In/Out: The AudioControl Avalon G4 features a 12V trigger input (3.5mm) and 12V trigger output (3.5mm) to synchronize power on and off functions with other components that also have 12V trigger inputs and outputs.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Avalon G4 comes with a detachable 68" AC power cord (IEC 3-prong) that will need to be plugged into the back of the power amplifier and into an AC power outlet or surge protector (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Mounting Options: The AudioControl Avalon G4 can be simply mounted on a shelf or or flat tabletop surface. It can also be rack-mounted using optional hardware (not included and sold separately). The Avalon G4 amplifier takes up a 2U rack space with the feet removed.
USA Built with 5 Year Warranty: The Avalon G4 power amplifier is designed, engineered and manufactured in the USA and comes with Audio-control's 5-year warranty.
2 questions already asked
Very clean with lots of power! My Bowers and Wilkins 804 have to come to life! Even at low volumes, the details are audible and sweet! Love it! And I love the low profile!
Fabiano from Baltimore, MD