About the AudioControl D-4.800
Amplifier and DSP in one package
Amplifier and DSP in one package
Two keys to unlocking great sound in a car stereo system are serious power and extensive control — and this amp's got them both. For power, AudioControl's D-4.800 4-channel amplifier generates 125 watts RMS per channel, so it'll drive even the most demanding aftermarket speakers with plenty of headroom to spare. You could also bridge the D-4.800 to drive a couple subwoofers with 400 watts RMS each.
Computer-controlled digital signal processing
Smart-User DSP tuning software on a laptop (DM-810 version shown)
You won't find any knobs on the D-4.800 — you make adjustments and save settings via your laptop (PC or Mac). AudioControl's Smart-User DSP software package includes 12 or 24 dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley crossovers, 30-band equalizers, parametric filters, time delay/alignment for inputs and outputs, phase correction, AccuBass™ bass correction, and real-time analyzers (RTA) for the inputs and outputs so you can visually confirm the improvements in the sound.
It's made to work with a factory radio
Six active speaker-level inputs allow you to connect this amp to almost any factory system, even ones that have separate pre-filtered, time-aligned, and amplified signals going to separate factory speakers and tweeters. The D-4.800 sums them into one smooth, unified signal for you to balance, align, and tune for your better-sounding aftermarket speakers. AudioControl's Great Turn On (GTO™) signal-sensing circuitry turns the amp on automatically whenever it senses an input, so you won't have to run a separate turn-on lead back to the receiver.
Onboard LEDs indicate optimized signal flow for inputs and outputs, plus give you a warning when a source is too loud and causing distortion. An optional ACR-3 wired remote controller lets you select sources, control levels, and recall presets from your front seat.
- 4-channel car amplifier with digital signal processing
- 125 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms (200 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms)
- 400 watts RMS x 2 bridged at 4 ohms (4-ohm stable in bridged mode)
- all controls and adjustments made with AudioControl Smart-User DSP app on your laptop (PC or Mac) via USB connection
- USB cable included
- variable high- and low-pass filters (20-20,000 Hz at 12 or 24 dB/octave)
- AccuBASS circuitry for improved bass response
- 30-band graphic EQ, parametric filters, phase correction
- time delay/alignment for inputs and outputs
- RTA (real-time analyzers) for inputs and outputs
- optiojnal ACR-3 remote controls level and recalls presets
- MILC™ (Maximum Input Level Control) LED optimization and clip indicators
- 6 speaker-level inputs (summable)
- GTO signal-sensing turn-on
- preamp inputs and outputs
- fuse rating: 40A x 2
- 4-gauge power and ground leads recommended — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
- dimensions: 8-7/8"W x 2"H x 7-3/4"D
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 851-018-0
What's in the box:
- 2.5 mm Allen wrench
- 119" USB cable (Type-A on one end / Micro-B on other end)
- Quick-start guide
AudioControl D-4.800 reviews
First of all, Crutchfield service and shipping was amazing. This was my first experience working with a DSP amplifier. This device is amazing. I installed it with my OEM factory head unit and pair it with Image Dynamic's component set for the front and coaxials for the rear. The sound now is amazing. The DSP is very easy to program by using the Windows or Mac program that is downloaded from AudioControl's website. The amplifier is small with a lot of power. I like the fact that there are no dials outside of the unit. Everything is done using the software. Great product.
Pros: Small size. Lot of power. Easy to program. Channel Summing and bass restoration.
Cons: No optional bluetooth. Because of that, no iOS or Andoid app available or direct streaming. Very small speaker input adapter.
0 of 0 found this helpful
This is a fantastic little package. The DSP took harsh sounding factory head unit signal and turned it into something that sounds fantastic. In my opinion it is worth every penny. I hooked it up a new set of infinity kappa 3 way component set with the passive crossovers, and now I can hear details in music that I've known by heart for 15 years, that I've never heard before. The accuracy and clarity of the signal is amazing. I do have some small gripes though. When bridged, at 4 ohms, I don't think it's really putting out 400 watts of power as the hit from my subwoofer is lacking a little. It could be because the speaker resistance is 2 ohms and the sub is 4 ohms but I'm not sure. The other gripe is the connectors won't accept 12 awg wire as the wires will work themselves free. Nothing major and playing with the settings may alleviate the subwoofer volume issue, and if it does I will update my review.
Pros: Works great with a factory head unit, makes my speakers sound great. Makes my alpine type R 12 sound as clear as a much more expensive SQ sub.
Cons: Output volume on a subwoofer is less than desired. Speaker adapters wont fit 12 awg speaker wire.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Sounds great, fast delivery, superb customer service thank you crutchfield. Im glad to know that good customer service still means something.
Pros: DSP Built In Freakin awesome
2 of 3 found this helpful
Unbelievable product! Easy to install and better to configure! Drives the Morel speakers I purchased like a dream - providing the necessary power and feature set to make everything sound great!
3 of 3 found this helpful
Amazing sounding amp. I bought this amp for the extra features. With it I was basically getting a four channel 400w amp thrown in with a dsp/eq. I was pleasantly surprised by the sound. It is one of the cleanest sounding amps I have ever owned. It sounds great paired with my Focal Power K2 speakers.
Pros: Sound, power, size, eq, dsp, bass restoration
Cons: Price and the speaker wire connectors. I prefer to put ferrels on all of my wiring and the speaker connections are very small.
4 of 4 found this helpful
originally I thought I had a defective product, installed the unit and turned on the radio and only got buzzing from all speakers. after about 5 minutes of playing around in the app I figured out that the inputs were set to speaker level and the gains cranked all the way up. once that was resolved the rest of the set up was extremely easy. the ability to adjust the gains, crossovers and EQ from the front seat make this worth every penny. The 30 band EQ is great, though it would be nice if it could be separated out for left and right channels, but at this price point I cannot complain. Bluetooth or wireless connection for tuning would be a great additional feature, a tablet or stripped down phone app for adjustment on the fly would be even better.
Pros: 30 band EQ! easily adjustable gains, crossovers and slopes. No need to run separate DSP or EQ. Fairly compact size.
Cons: Mac app does not work nearly as well as Windows app- odd window sizing, some features don't select when clicked the first or second time. speaker terminals are too small and too close together.
8 of 9 found this helpful
Installing this amp was a breeze. It is such a big improvement over the factory amp. Sounds much better than I thought it would. Even though I haven't changed the speakers yet, with the RTA and EQ settings the improvement is huge. App is very simple to use. And it will also control your sub amp with the ACR-3. Great all in one unit.
Pros: RTA and EQ settings all done with app on laptop. DSP and powerful amp in one unit. Also control for sub amp with the ACR-3.(comes with the Epicenter amp)
Cons: The only thing I don't like is the lugs for the power inputs use a Phillips head machine screw that doesn't allow you to tighten them properly . I'm looking for screws to replace them with. They should have an Allen head. Don't let that stop you from buying this though because it sounds incredible.
12 of 13 found this helpful
More details on the AudioControl D-4.800
Features & specs
|RMS Power Output (Watts x Channels)||
125 x 4 |
|Peak Power Output (Watts x Channels)||N/A|
|Power at 2 Ohms (Watts x Channels)||200 x 4|
|Bridged Power (Watts x Channels)||400 x 2|
|Minimum Impedance Bridged||4|
|Minimum Impedance Unbridged||2|
|Best Frequency Response||20-24k Hz|
|THD at Rated RMS Power||0.1%|
|Signal to Noise Ratio||102 dB|
|Amplifier Class||Not Given|
|Low-Pass Crossover Frequency||20-20kHz|
|Low-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12/24 dB/octave|
|High-Pass Crossover Frequency||20-20kHz|
|High-Pass Slope (dB/octave)||12/24 dB/octave|
|Bass Boost Frequency||N/A|
|Speaker Level Inputs||Set screw|
|Preamp Outputs||1 pair|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Overview: The AudioControl D-4.800 multi-channel amplifier is designed to enhance the sound of your car stereo system, whether it's a factory or an aftermarket one, featuring AudioControl's powerful Matrix DSP sound processing. It accepts speaker-level or line-level inputs, and can be configured for 2-,3-,or 4-channel operation. The D-4.800 features a black brushed aluminum chassis, with black powder-coated cast alloy heat sinks and a one piece bottom panel. A black brushed-aluminum cover is provided to protect the amp controls from tampering. A 2.5mm Allen wrench (supplied) is needed to remove the cover.
Maximum Input Level Control (MILC): The amplifier analyzes the input signal to detect any clipping. If the signal reaches the level of clipping, the MILC Source Clip LED glows red, prompting you to turn down the gain level. When the gain level is maximized, a green Maximized LED will glow to indicate the gain, for that set of channels, is set to the optimum level.
GTO (Great Turn On) Signal Sense: If you are connecting the amplifier to a factory stereo, or an aftermarket unit without preamp outputs and a remote turn-on lead, the GTO Signal Sense circuitry can turn on the amplifier when an audio signal is detected on either the line-level or speaker-level inputs. After a period of time with no signal input, the amp will turn itself off.
ACR-3 Remote: The optional AudioControl ACR-3 wired remote is a dual-function remote that lets you adjust both the level of the main and line outputs, as well as recalling memory presets, all from the driver's seat. The ACR-3 has two LED indicators and a rotary/push-knob. When the blue LED is on, the remote knob raises and lowers the output level. When the knob is pushed in, the red LED will light, allowing the knob to recall memory presets when turned.
DM Smart DSP: The D-4.800 includes a micro USB (Type-B) port to connect to a laptop (USB Type-A to micro-B cable included, allowing you to use AudioControl's DM Smart DSP app. This is a fully featured Matrix DSP interface designed to give you control over every aspect of the processor. Features include routing any input to any output, gain adjustment, delay, polarity, and a 30-band EQ. High-pass, low-pass, and band-pass filtering can be set up for any output using 12 or 24 dB/octave Linkwitz-Riley crossovers. It also includes RTAs (Real Time Analyzer) for every input and output to easily identify and sum factory speaker signals for OEM integration.
Top Panel: Underneath the removable protective panel are the GTO on/off switch, labeling for all of the input/output connections, and the following LED indicators:
- Power: If the amp is powering on correctly, this should be lit green.
- Protection: The amp has built-in diagnostic codes to tell you exactly what is going wrong if the amp detects a problem. Both the Protection and Power LEDs can flash certain codes indicating where the problem is. A chart of these is provided in the Quick-start guide.
- Communications LED: This LED lights when there is USB activity between the amp and your computer during set up.
- Maximized Input LEDs: These LEDs illuminate when a maximum audio signal is present on any of the analog audio inputs. Signal levels should be lowered if these LEDs are on a lot. Three LEDs are provided covering: Front High, Front, and Rear.
- Maximized Output LEDs: These LEDs illuminate when there is maximum signal present on any of the audio outputs. Signal levels should be lowered if these LEDs are on a lot. Two LEDs are provided, one each for Outputs 1/2 and 3/4.
- MILC Source Clip LED: The MILC (Maximum Input Level Control) level-setting circuit prevents clipping and distortion. It calculates when the waveform of an incoming signal on input 1 or 2 is clipping and lights this LED. The level of the incoming signal should be set just prior to MILC LED coming on.
Connections: The D-4.800's connections are aligned along the front of the amplifier for ease of installation. The amp's connections include:
- Fuses: Two 40A ATO blade-type fuses are installed in the amplifier.
- Power: Set-screw terminals are provided for connecting +12V Power, Ground, and Remote In. The Power and Ground terminals will accept 8 to 4-gauge wire, while the Remote In terminal accepts up to 6-gauge. An 80A fuse should be placed in-line on the power wire, no more than 18" from the battery.
- Line Level Inputs: Two pairs of RCA jacks are provided for connecting the amp to the source unit via RCA cables.
- Line Level Output: One pair of RCA jacks for feeding the signal to another amplifier.
- Speaker Level Input: Three sets of removable Phoenix (or Euroblock) connectors are provided for connecting the source unit via speaker-level input. The connectors are labeled Front High (for tweeters), Front, and Rear.
- ACR-3 Control: This RJ-14 telephone-type connection allows you to plug in the optional ACR-3 Remote. The ACR-3 is used to change the output level and for recalling memory presets.
- USB: A micro-USB (Type-B) is used for connection to a computer for DSP configuration.
- Speaker Output: Two removable Phoenix connectors are provided for connecting speaker wire. The amplifier will accept a load impedance of 2Ω or higher in stereo (4Ω or higher when bridged).
Power Output: The D-4.800 has the following power specs:
- 4 x 125 W RMS @ 4 Ohms
- 4 x 200 W RMS @ 2 Ohms
- 400 W RMS @ 4 Ohms bridged
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
5 questions already asked