Rack-mount powered monitor
Our take on the Fostex RM-3 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
A space-saving audio monitor
Need to be able to hear audio, but don't have a logical place to mount standard speakers? The Fostex RM-3 powered monitor system is rack-mountable, so you can stash it out of the way in your machine room, security office, or utility closet. Listen through a pair of built-in 10-watt speakers, or plug in headphones when it's noisy or when privacy is needed.
Connections and controls
The back panel of the RM[-]3 features a flexible variety of input and and pass-through output connections, including analog XLR and 1/4" jacks, and digital XLR.
A set of eight dip switches offer detailed control over various functions: display brightness, mute volume, auto standby, and more. On the front panel, there are convenient single-button selectors for input source and output configuration options.
- built-in monitoring speakers powered by 10 watts each
- frequency response: 200-20,000 Hz
- front-mounted input and output selection buttons
- LED meter with variable brightness
- set of 8 rear-mounted dip switches for detailed function control
- analog stereo XLR/TS combination jacks
- digital AES/EBU XLR jack
- analog stereo XLR pass-through
- analog stereo 1/4" TS pass-through
- digital AES/EBU XLR pass-through
- 1/4" front-panel headphone jack for private listening
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 19"W x 1-3/4"H x 11-3/16"D (1U rack space)
- weight: 7.7 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Rack monitor
- Power cord (IEC 3-pin)
- Owner's manual
- Safety information sheet
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||N/A|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||N/A|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Full range Driver size||4x1.5|
|Built in amplifier||Y|
|RMS Power rating||---|
|Peak Power rating||10 W x 2|
|Inputs||(2) XLR/1/4" TS Combo jacks|
|Parts warranty||1 Year|
|Labor warranty||1 Year|
|Maximum Peak SPL||84 dB|
Overview: The Fostex RM-3 is a rack mount stereo monitor speaker system with a built-in 10 W + 10 W class-D amplifier and two 4" x 1.5" speakers. It's the ideal solution for monitoring in various space-challenged locations such as video monitoring, surveillance, machine rooms, mobile and stationary control rooms, and theme park applications where audio monitoring is needed in a compact environment.
Inputs/Outputs: The RM-3 can accept both analog and digital signals. Analog inputs include two XLR/ 1/4" TS combination jacks, with the XLR accepting balanced signals and the 1/4" TS accepting unbalanced signals. The unit also has a 3-pin digital AES/EBU input. Outputs, or Thru jacks, include two analog XLR jacks and two 1/4" TS jacks. A digital 3-pin AES/EBU jack provides a Thru for any signals input on the AES/EBU digital input. The front panel also includes a 1/4" stereo headphone output for private monitoring. When headphones are plugged into the RM-3, no signal will be outputted from the speakers. When switching from headphones to speakers, or vice versa, the output signal will fade in to avoid sudden jumps in the signal level.
Meter and Controls: The front panel includes a 26 segment LED bar that includes 24 LEDs acting as a Level Meter, with a Signal indicator on the far left end and a Peak Over-Level indicator on the far right end. The analog reference level, indicated by 0 on the meter, can be set to display either a +4 dBu (balanced)/ -10 dBV (unbalanced) scale, or a 0 dBu (balanced)/ -14 dBV (unbalanced) scale. The Level Meter type can also be set to: VU, VU+Peak, VU+Peak Hold, and Peak+Peak Hold. The digital signal reference is set at -20 dBFS. The front panel also includes an Input button, that switches between the analog and digital inputs, with two LEDs in the LED bar that will show which is selected. An Output button selects which signal channel(s) will be output with choices of Stereo, L, R, and L+R (summed mono). A Volume knob determines the output level from the speakers and the headphone output. This control also acts as a Mute button when pressed momentarily. The rear panel includes a Terminate On/Off button that determines if a digital signal coming into the unit will get passed back out on the AES/EBU Thru jack. The Power button is also located on the rear of the unit.
DIP Switches: An 8 segment DIP switch panel on the rear of the unit is provided for making any setting changes to the RM-3, with the following options available:
- Display Brightness: DIP switches 1 and 2 can vary the brightness with 4 levels available.
- Level Meter Type: Switches 3 and 4 determine the type of signal to be displayed by the LED Level Meter. Options include: VU, VU + Peak, VU + Peak Hold, and Peak + Peak Hold.
- Reference Level: Switch 5 is used to set the analog reference level for the LED Meter. Options are: +4 dBu (balanced) / -10 dBV (unbalanced) and 0 dBu (balanced) / -14 dBV (unbalanced)
- Source Sound Type: Switch 6 determines the appropriate sound type with 2 choices available: Music, ideal for sound sources with a wide frequency range, and Voice, which has a narrow frequency range that's ideal for speech.
- Volume When Muted: Switch 7 determines the volume when the unit is Muted with choices being Infinity (no sound) or -20 dB.
- Auto Standby (On/Off): If this setting is On, the unit will automatically go into standby mode if the input level drops below a certain level for approximately 4 hours, reducing the power consumption to 0.5 watts or less.
- Type: 4" x 1.5" antimagnetic cone speakers
- Impedance: 8Ω
- Output SPL: 84 dB/W (1 M)
- Frequency Response: 200 Hz to 20 kHz
- Maximum Output: 10 W x 2
- Residual Noise: -50 dB or less
- Distortion Rate: 0.1% or less
- Digital Input:
- Connector: 3-pin XLR type
- Format: IEC 60958 (AES/EBU)
- Sampling Frequency: 44.1 kHz to 96 kHz
- Analog Input:
- Connectors: XLR/1/4" TS combo jacks
- Rated Input Level: XLR (balanced): +4/0 dBV, 1/4" TS (unbalanced): -10/-14 dBV
- Input Impedance: 10 kΩ or more
- Digital Thru: 3-pin XLR type
- Analog Thru: 3-pin XLR and 1/4" TS
- Connector: 1/4" TRS
- Impedance: 16Ω or more
- Maximum Output: 20 mW + 20 mW (32 Ω, 1 kHz)
- Level Meter:
- Display: 26 Segment LED
- Reference Level:
- Digital: -20 dBFS
- Analog: XLR: +4/0 dBu, 1/4" TS: -10/-14 dBV
- Power: 100 V to 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz
- Power Consumption: 10 W
- Dimensions: Width - 19.0", Height - 1.73", Depth - 11.20"
- Weight: 7.7 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
Frequently Compared With
Rack-mount powered monitor$499.99 each
2-way powered studio monitor with 8" woofer and 1" tweeter$199.99 eachSale: $50.00 off$249.99
2-way powered studio monitor with 5" woofer and 1" tweeter
KRK ROKIT 10 G3
3-way powered studio monitor with 10" woofer, 4" midrange, and 1" tweeter$499.00 each