About the Fostex T60RP
For my money, an excellent choice
For my money, an excellent choice
I took a look at other headphones in this price range, and the Fostex T60RP are near the top of the heap when it comes to sound quality. That just happens to be my number-one priority. I think their acoustic capabilities rival that of some headphones costing three times as much. They have a forward presentation that is well-balanced and accurate, yet still fun and musical.
Well-rounded sound that bounces with energy
Fostex machined the real mahogany ear cups into the familiar shape of their classic T50RP headphones. The tonal characteristics of that wood and the slight redesign of Fostex's planar magnetic driver system give these 'phones a lively, organic sound of their own. They excel in the mids — like most old-school Fostex RP models — yet also deliver clear highs, and exciting, punchy bass.
What struck me most was the spot-on imaging. "Coming around" by the modern soul/blues group California Honeydrops is a thick, tasty stew of sound that can be too complex for lesser headphones. All the ingredients separated — or blended — properly through the T60RPs. Percussion lept with energy, vocals mixed in beautifully, and the horns cut through with an extra layer of heartiness.
- over-the-ear headphones for creating and enjoying music
- direct lineage to legendary Fostex RP studio headphones
- African mahogany wood earcups offer a rich, organic sound with smooth, relaxed highs
- wood housings machined into shape of classic Fostex RP earcup design
- semi-open design combines airiness of open-back headphones with the strong bass of a closed model
- a separate headphone amplifier will properly power these headphones for optimum sound quality
- planar magnetic drivers deliver a well-balanced, accurate sound
- Regular Phase (RP) diaphragms produce clear, detailed mids
- high-grade copper foil voice coil
- powerful neodymium magnet array moves diaphragm quickly for superb dynamics
Accessories and Specs:
- detachable 49" oxygen-free cable with 3.5mm mini plug
- locking system keeps cable securely connected to headphones
- soft genuine leather strap headband for proper fit
- plush, memory foam ear pads
- frequency response: 15-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 92 dB
- impedance: 50 ohms
- weight: 13 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AMS-T60RP
What's in the box:
- 1 Pair headphones
- 1.5 m Unbalanced cable with 3.5 mm connector
- Owner's manual
Fostex T60RP reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Fostex T60RP
Overview: The Fostex RPmk3 series headphones are the successor to the reputed RPmk2 series monitor headphones, which have been used in professional recording studios around the world for more than 30 years. Their unique planar-magnetic (orthodynamic) driver utilizes Fostex's proprietary Regular Phase (RP) technology. This technology uses a diaphragm driver with a copper foil etched polyimide film and a powerful neodymium magnet, capable of handling a maximum input level of up to 3000 mW. The housing, ear pads, and head pad have all been redesigned to get maximum performance from the RP driver while providing maximum comfort for the listener. The T60RP's housing is made of African mahogany, which helps add depth to the sound, and features ear pads made of low-repulsion urethane with a soft artificial leather exterior.
Balanced Output: The T60RP includes an 1.5 m unbalanced cable with a 3.5 mm connector, but is set up to use one of their optional balanced cables as well, either with a 2.5 mm connector (part# ET-RP2.5BL) or 4.4 mm connector (part# ET-RP4.4BL). Balanced connections are becoming more common in modern DACs and headphone amplifiers, providing clearer audio reproduction and a high stereo separation. All three types of cables are made of OFC materials which deliver high resolution over the whole frequency range.
- Driver: Regular Phase (Orthodynamic)
- Type: Semi-open
- Impedance: 50Ω
- Sensitivity: 92 dB (1 kHz @ 1 mW)
- Frequency Response: 15 Hz - 35 kHz
- Maximum Input Power: 3000 mW
- Weight: 13.4 oz.
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?