About the Fostex TH900 MK2
Each birch cherry wood earcup housing is finished using a traditional Japanese lacquer method.
Top-flight headphones from the personal audio pioneers
In many ways, Fostex helped usher in the high-end, audiophile headphone boom that we're currently in. And the Japanese company's TH-900 MK2 model has helped accelerate it. Going back to the 70s, Fostex studio headphones were popular among hardcore headphone enthusiasts. And they were one of the first companies to treat a sweet headphone amp setup like a serious alternative to a traditional high-end home stereo — for those of who either can't fit or can't always crank up a two-channel speaker system in our home.
Beautifully sculpted and finished earcups
Just how serious are we talking? Take a look at the video in the carousel above that shows the traditional Japanese "Urushi" lacquer process. Each birch cherry wood earcup is sculpted and sanded, then coated with that striking red finish. It is almost mesmerizing to see the Fostex crew at work — they show such great care and attention to detail.
And the housings don't just look and feel deluxe, they serve a musical purpose. The wood helps give the sound a clean, organic feel. And the earcups keep external noise from leaking in — and your music from escaping out.
Effortless, transparent sound
Of course, it's kind of like ordering at at a nice restaurant: as cool as it is to watch a master chef at work, you're really only pleased if the dish delivers. And these are some tasty-sounding headphones. Rich, musical detail across a wide soundstage.
How many times have we all heard "You Don't Know How It Feels" by Tom Petty? (Rest in peace!) Listening to a high-res version of the laid-back track through these 'phones, it bounced with a brand-new energy. From that abrupt, familiar opening until the song faded out, the large drivers never strained to play highs or lows — even when tested by the head-nodding percussion and blaring harmonicas.
- over-the-ear, closed-back design
- large 50mm dynamic drivers offer strong musical detail and dynamics
- Japanese birch cherry wood earcups for natural, full-bodied sound
Design and Build:
- designed and hand-crafted in Fostex's Japanese headquarters
- small-batch wood earcups finished using traditional "Urushi" lacquer process
- centuries-old technique results in a striking red coating
- bio-cellulose fiber diaphragm is extra-light and strong
- can start and stop quickly within super-powerful magnetic field
- powerful neodymium magnet array for wide-range frequency response
- magnetic flux density of 1.5 teslas
- thick ergonomic protein leather earpads offer relaxed, comfortable fit
- padded flexible headband
Accessories and Specs:
- 9.84-foot silver-coated oxygen-free cable with 1/4" headphone plug
- display case and stand included
- frequency response: 5-45,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 100 dB
- impedance: 25 ohms
- weight: 13.76 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # AMS-TH-900MK2
What's in the box:
- 1 Pair headphones
- 3 m Y-type cable (with 1/4" stereo plug on one end and 2-pin plugs on other ends)
- Owner's manual
More details on the Fostex TH900 MK2
Overview: The Fostex TH900mk2 are premium dynamic headphones designed for the discerning listener. The second generation of the TH900 series, the TH900mk2 headphones feature a balanced output (with optional cable, sold separately), which is becoming more common in modern DACs and headphone amplifiers, and offers increased rejection of noise. The headphone's unique design also features a neodymium magnetic circuit that uses a magnetic repulsion system with 1.5 tesla (15,000 gauss) magnetic flux density to achieve a wider dynamic range. They also incorporate a proprietary "Biodyna" diaphragm for higher resolution and sound reproduction, ear pads that are made of protein leather made from eggshell membrane for maximum comfort, and a detachable unbalanced cable (included) that's made of 7N grade (99.99999%) OFC with a durable "duralumin" plug case. The earpieces are made of Japanese Cherry Birch and finished using a traditional Japanese "Urushi" lacquer by a 110 year old artisan group, which gives the headphones a "Bordeaux" finish. Optional balanced cables (sold separately) include: ET-H3.0N7BL with a gold plated 4-pole XLR, and ET-H3.0N7UB which uses a gold plated 1/4" stereo plug.
- Driver Type: Dynamic
- Driver Size: 50 mm
- Type: Closed
- Impedance: 25 Ohm
- Sensitivity: 100 dB (1 kHz @ 1 mW)
- Frequency Response: 5 Hz - 45 kHz
- Maximum Input Power: 1.8 W
- Weight: 13.76 oz.