About the Ring Video Doorbell 3
Stay connected from a distance
Stay connected from a distance
I have the previous version of this doorbell, and I used to love that it allowed me to answer my door from anywhere. But with the current need for social distancing, I now really appreciate that it lets me safely answer the door from home, too. I can see and chat with visitors while we both maintain our recommended six-foot personal bubble of space. I have mine set to alert me when motion is sensed, too, so I know when deliveries arrive or if the neighbor cat comes by to say hello.
Minor and major improvements
In addition to the subtle structural improvements like the redesigned easy-to-remove faceplate and stronger mounting screws, the Ring Video Doorbell 3 offers some upgrades under the hood as well. While the previous model connected to your router on the 2.4GHz band, this model has dual-band compatibility for a more reliable connection. This updated version also has improved motion detection including a "near motion" zone that is designed to reduce false alarms.
The Ring app lets you see and chat with visitors from anywhere.
Hardwired or battery-powered — your choice
If your current doorbell operates at a voltage between 8 and 24 volts AC, you can connect Ring Video Doorbell 3 to the existing wiring. Hardwiring this way keeps Ring's battery charged and allows it to trigger your existing chime when someone rings the bell.
Not replacing an existing doorbell? No problem. The included battery is easily removable and only needs to be charged every 6 to 12 months, depending on usage. If you don't want to lose coverage while your depleted battery is recharging, pick up an extra battery. Without an existing doorbell, you'll also need to keep your phone handy for notifications, or purchase Ring Chime or Chime Pro for alerts while you're at home.
Optional cloud storage
The camera streams live footage to the app 24/7, but if you want to save or send video clips, you'll need a Ring Protect plan. Ring Protect is a subscription-based cloud storage service. The basic package ($3/month or $30/year) covers a single camera and allows you to save and share your Ring videos from that camera. You get a free, 30-day trial subscription when you activate your Ring device.
Installing multiple Ring devices? The Ring Protect Plus plan ($10/month or $100/year) includes cloud storage for unlimited Ring devices at a single location.
Part of your ring of security
The Ring Video Doorbell 3 is just one piece of your home protection puzzle. Fill in the gaps with these other Ring devices:
- provides a 1080p HD view of who's ringing the doorbell
- built-in speaker and microphone with noise cancellation for two-way talk
- advanced motion detection
- infrared night vision
- hardwired or battery-powered
- includes one quick-release battery for charging without removing the device
- requires 8-24 VAC transformer for hardwiring
- 160° wide-angle lens
- weather-resistant housing
- operating temperature: -5°F to 120°F
- uses your home Wi-Fi® network to send images to your smartphone
- 802.11 a/ b/g/n dual-band Wi-Fi connection @ 2.4GHz & 5GHz
- suggested minimum upload speed of 2Mbps
- Ring app features include:
- live view
- crime and safety alerts
- see, hear, and speak with visitors
- real-time notifications
- select and adjust motion zones
- "near motion" option cuts down on false alarms
- "Shared Users" functionality lets you share access to your Ring devices with other users
- review, save, and share videos with optional Ring Protect cloud storage plans
- includes wedge and corner kits for adjusting mounting angle
- includes 2 interchangeable faceplates (Venetian bronze and satin nickel)
- compatible with Amazon Alexa-enabled devices for voice control
- 2-7/16"W x 5-1/8"H x 1-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year limited with lifetime theft protection
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # 8VRSLZ-OENO
What's in the box:
- Video doorbell with Satin Nickel faceplate
- Venetian Bronze faceplate
- V4 Quick-release battery (3.65V 6040mAh 22.046Wh)
- Wedge install plate
- Corner install plate
- 20" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Screwdriver (with Phillips and Star bit)
- 3 Self-tapping screws (Length 1-1/2")
- 3 Self-tapping screws (Length 1-1/4")
- 5 Self-tapping screws (Length 7/16")
- 3 Plastic wall anchors
- Two 3" extension wires with spade lugs
- 2 Wire nuts
- Bubble level
- Drill bit (6mm / 15/64")
- 5 Self-tapping screws (Length 1") with rubber washers
- 5 Plastic wall anchors
- 2 Security screws (inside doorbell)
- Owner's Manual
- Optional Wedge and Corner Mounts sheet
- Setup Steps (with QR code)
- Important Product Information
- Ring Protect promo
- Battery Tips (inside the doorbell cover)
- Ring window decal
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Ring Video Doorbell 3
Overview: The Ring Video Doorbell 3 instantly alerts you (on your smartphone, tablet, or computer) when someone approaches your front door or rings your doorbell, and lets you see and hear who it is before you answer. The Video Doorbell 3 has a built-in camera that streams HD video via Wi-Fi, and two-way audio to let you speak with your visitor. It features customizable motion zones, and enhanced Wi-Fi. The Ring Video Doorbell 3 is powered by a quick-release rechargeable battery, or can be hardwired to an existing doorbell system. Satin Nickel and Venetian Bronze faceplates are included, to help you find one that fits your décor. Wedge and corner mounting kits are included in case you need to aim the video doorbell in a direction other than straight ahead.
Camera: The Video Doorbell 3 has a wide-angle lens with a wide 160° (horizontal) field of view. The camera produces bright 1080p HD video in a Live View that you can watch on your phone, tablet, or computer. When motion is detected, a notification will be sent to your smart device or computer through the Ring app, allowing you to view the live video stream. Built-in infrared LEDs enable night vision after the sun goes down.
Wi-Fi: The Ring Video Doorbell 3 operates on an 802.11 b/g/n Wi-Fi connection on either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands. It requires a minimum upload speed of 1 Mbps, however, 2 Mbps is recommended for best streaming performance.
Motion Zones: Motion Zones allow you to define specific areas that you want the Ring Doorbell 3 to monitor for movement. You can determine the size and shape of the Motion Zone in the Ring app by "drawing" the box on your screen. Other zones, where there is frequent activity that causes false alerts, can be designated as non-active. Other Motion Settings include scheduling and sensitivity. You can schedule brief interruption in coverage to avoid triggering alerts caused by expected activity. A slider in the app menu lets you fine tune the sensitivity from "People Only" motion to "All Activity.
Weather Resistant: The Video Doorbell 3 has a water resistance rating of IPX5, and is resistant to inclement weather and temperature extremes (-5°F to 120°F).
Installation: The Ring Video Doorbell 3 surface mounts to a flat surface, and can replace an existing doorbell. It can be powered by a quick-release rechargeable battery, or hardwired into your existing doorbell. The hardware needed to install your new Video Doorbell 3 is included in the box, including screws, anchors, wire extensions, wire nuts, and a screwdriver. The included wedge and corner plates let you install the video doorbell at an angle, if needed. Two interchangeable faceplates, in Satin Nickel and Venetian Bronze, are included.
Ring App: The free Ring - Almost Home app pulls together all of your Ring devices, including Video Doorbells and Security Cameras. The app sends you an instant alert when someone triggers a motion sensor, or rings your Ring Video Doorbell. You'll be able to see, hear, and speak to anyone on your property using your smart device. In addition, the app lets you create a virtual Neighborhood Watch and receive alerts from your neighbors. In the app, you can zoom and pan for a better look, customize the Motion Zones, times for receiving (or not receiving) alerts, and how often to be notified for motion events. The Ring App is available for Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 10.0 or later, and for Android devices running version 5.0 and up. The app also works with Windows 10 and Mac OS.
Ring Protect: The Ring app includes a free 30-day trial of Ring Video Recording, which lets you save, review, and share recordings from the app. Ring Protect plans are currently* $3.00 per month / $30.00 per year for basic coverage (per camera), or $10.00 per month / $100.00 per year for Protect Plus (unlimited cameras).
*As of May 2020
The Ring Video Doorbell 3 replaces these items
- provides a 1080p HD view of who's ringing the doorbell
- built-in microphone and speaker for two-way talk
- infrared night vision and selectable motion zones