About the Ring Video Doorbell 4
I have a previous version of this doorbell, and I love that it lets me answer my door from anywhere. I can see and chat with visitors whether I'm upstairs or away on vacation. The latest version adds some helpful new features including a pre-roll video that shows you the moments leading up to a motion event — so that you don't miss any of the action.
The Ring Video Doorbell 4 also offers a Quick Replies option that lets you choose one of six preset responses to play when someone rings the bell:
- Please leave the package outside. If you'd like to leave a message, you can do it now.
- We can't answer the door right now, but if you'd like to leave a message, you can do it now.
- Hi! We'll be right there.
- Sorry, we're not interested.
- Thanks for stopping by. If you'd like to leave a message, you can do it now.
- Hi! Please wait. It may take me a moment to answer.
Your selected reply can play immediately or up to 20 seconds after a ring. Visitors can leave a message after the Quick Reply plays.
The Ring app lets you see and chat with visitors from anywhere.
Hardwired or battery-powered — your choice
If your current doorbell operates at a voltage between 8 and 24 volts AC, you can connect Ring Video Doorbell 4 to the existing wiring. Hardwiring this way keeps Ring's battery charged and allows it to trigger your existing chime when someone rings the bell.
Not replacing an existing doorbell? No problem. The included battery is easily removable and only needs to be charged every 6 to 12 months, depending on usage. If you don't want to lose coverage while your depleted battery is recharging, pick up an extra battery. Without an existing doorbell, you'll also need to keep your phone handy for notifications, or purchase Ring Chime or Chime Pro for alerts while you're at home.
Optional Ring Protect plan offers storage and more
The camera streams live footage to the app 24/7, but if you want to save or send video clips, you'll need a Ring Protect plan. Ring Protect is a subscription-based cloud storage service that also offers some expanded app features. The basic package ($3/month or $30/year) covers a single camera and allows you to save and share your Ring videos from that camera. You get a free, 30-day trial subscription when you activate your Ring device.
Installing multiple Ring devices? The Ring Protect Plus plan ($10/month or $100/year) includes cloud storage for unlimited Ring devices at a single location.
Part of your ring of security
The Ring Video Doorbell 4 is just one piece of your home protection puzzle. Fill in the gaps with these other Ring devices:
- provides a 1080p HD view of who's ringing the doorbell
- built-in speaker and microphone with noise cancellation for two-way talk
- Quick Replies lets you choose preset responses or ask visitors to leave a message
- you can choose one of six outgoing default messages
- set message delay time from right away to 20 seconds after someone rings the bell
- visitors can leave message after default message plays (Ring Protect plan required)
- color pre-roll video previews motion events (no audio)
- if you do not subscribe to a Ring Protect Plan, pre-roll only appears as a picture-in-picture in Live View for answered motion notifications
- advanced motion detection
- infrared night vision
- hardwired or battery-powered
- includes one quick-release battery for charging without removing the device
- compatible with Ring plug-in adapter (sold separately)
- requires 8-24 VAC transformer for hardwiring
- field of view: 160° horizontal and 84° vertical
- weather-resistant housing
- operating temperature: -5°F to 120°F
- uses your home Wi-Fi® network to send images to your smartphone
- 802.11 a/ b/g/n dual-band Wi-Fi connection @ 2.4GHz & 5GHz
- suggested minimum upload speed of 2Mbps
- Ring app features include:
- live view
- crime and safety alerts
- see, hear, and speak with visitors
- real-time notifications
- select and adjust motion zones
- "near motion" option cuts down on false alarms
- "Shared Users" functionality lets you share access to your Ring devices with other users
- premium features available with a Ring Protect plan:
- save and share captured photos and videos
- rich notifications show a preview of what triggered motion without opening the Ring app
- access and review recordings of Quick Replies interactions in your event history
- view full pre-roll video previews in timeline or event history
- use People Only Mode to customize your settings to only get alerts when people are detected
- includes corner kit for adjusting mounting angle
- compatible with Amazon Alexa devices for voice control (sold separately)
- 2-7/16"W x 5-1/8"H x 1-1/8"D
- warranty: 1 year limited with lifetime theft protection
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # B08JNR77QY
What's in the box:
- Video doorbell
- Satin Nickel faceplate (installed)
- V4 Quick-release rechargeable battery pack (3.65V 6040mAh 22.046Wh)
- Corner bracket
- 20" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Torx security screwdriver
- 5 Mounting screws (length 1")
- 5 Plastic wall anchors (length 1")
- 3 Bracket screws (length 1-1/4")
- 3 Plastic wall anchors (length 1-1/4")
- 5 Bracket screws (length 3/8")
- 2 Torx security screws (length 3/8")
- 2 Wire extenders (length 3-1/2")
- 2 Wire nuts
- User Guide
- Important Product Information
- Protected by Ring window decal
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Ring Video Doorbell 4
Overview: The Ring Video Doorbell 4 instantly alerts you (on your smartphone, tablet, or computer) when someone approaches your front door or rings your doorbell, and lets you see and hear who it is before you answer. The Video Doorbell 4 has a built-in camera that streams HD video via Wi-Fi, and two-way audio to let you speak with your visitor. It features customizable motion zones, and enhanced Wi-Fi. The Ring Video Doorbell 4 is powered by a quick-release rechargeable battery (included), or can be hardwired to an existing doorbell system. A Satin Nickel faceplate is included -- optional faceplates are available from Ring. The Ring Doorbell 4 is covered by a 1-year limited warranty, and lifetime theft protection.
Camera: The Video Doorbell 4 has a wide-angle lens with a 160° (horizontal) x 84° (vertical) field of view. The camera produces bright 1080p HD video in a Live View that you can watch on your phone, tablet, or computer. When motion is detected, a notification will be sent to your smart device or computer through the Ring app, allowing you to view the live video stream. Built-in infrared LEDs enable night vision after the sun goes down.
Pre-Roll: The new Pre-Roll feature lets you view what happened just before you received the motion alert. The Video Doorbell 4 will capture motion up to four seconds in a rolling buffer before a motion event is triggered. When the motion event video is recorded, the pre-roll footage is attached to the video in a picture-in-picture window. The Pre-Roll video is captured by a small series of low-powered cameras (at less than 1080p resolution), and does not included audio. If you are not subscribed to a Ring Protect Plan, you can only view Pre-Roll as a picture-in-picture in Live View for an answered motion notification. Subscribers can take full advantage of the Pre-Roll feature, which includes viewing Pre-Roll video previews in the Ring App timeline or event history, as well as answered Motion Notifications. Pre-Roll can be disabled, if desired.
Wi-Fi: The Ring Video Doorbell 4 operates on an 802.11 a/b/g/n Wi-Fi connection on either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz bands. It requires a minimum upload speed of 1 Mbps, however, 2 Mbps is recommended for best streaming performance.
Quick Replies: Quick Replies is a feature of the Ring Video Doorbel 4 which allows your visitors to interact with your Ring doorbell, even if you don't answer the door. When the feature is enabled, and someone rings your doorbell, the visitor will hear a pre-selected message. The visitor can leave a message, as well, like a answering machine for your door. The Quick Replies messages show up on the Ring App timeline as an individual event. Only Ring Protect Plan subscribers will be able to access and review recordings of Quick Replies interactions in their Event History.
Motion Zones: Motion Zones allow you to define specific areas that you want the Ring Doorbell 4 to monitor for movement. You can determine the size and shape of the Motion Zone in the Ring app by "drawing" the box on your screen. Other zones, where there is frequent activity that causes false alerts, can be designated as non-active. Other Motion Settings include scheduling and sensitivity. You can schedule brief interruption in coverage to avoid triggering alerts caused by expected activity. A slider in the app menu lets you fine tune the sensitivity from "People Only" motion to "All Activity."
Weather Resistant: The Video Doorbell 4 has a water resistance rating of IPX5, and is resistant to inclement weather and temperature extremes (-5°F to 120°F). If you hardwire the Video Doorbell, the device will allow charging in temperatures between 32°F and 113°F, otherwise charging is disabled.
Installation: The Ring Video Doorbell 4 surface mounts to a flat surface, and can replace an existing doorbell. It can be powered by the included quick-release rechargeable battery, or hardwired into your existing doorbell. The hardware needed to install your new Video Doorbell 4 is included in the box, including screws, anchors, wire extensions, wire nuts, and a screwdriver. If replacing an existing standard doorbell system, a Ring plug-in adapter is required, or a transformer with 8 to 24 volts AC, 40 VA max, 50/60Hz, or 24 volts DC, 0.5A, 12 watts. The included corner plate lets you install the video doorbell to the side, if needed. The included Satin Nickel faceplate can be replaced by an optional faceplate, available from Ring.
Chime Compatibility: The Ring Video Doorbell 4 works with the Ring Chime and Ring Chime Pro (sold separately). It is not compatible any other brand of wireless chimes, or any chime/intercom system using a DC transformer. Click here for a list of tested and compatible mechanical and digital chimes.
Ring App: The free Ring - Always Home app pulls together all of your Ring devices, including Video Doorbells and Security Cameras. The app sends you an instant alert when someone triggers a motion sensor, or rings your Ring Video Doorbell. You'll be able to see, hear, and speak to anyone on your property using your smart device. In addition, the app lets you create a virtual Neighborhood Watch and receive alerts from your neighbors. In the app, you can zoom and pan for a better look, customize the Motion Zones, times for receiving (or not receiving) alerts, and how often to be notified for motion events. The Ring App is available for Apple iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 11.0 or later, and for Android devices running version 6.0 and up. The app also works with Windows 10 and Mac OS.
Works with Alexa: When paired with your Alexa-enabled device, you can enjoy enhanced features of the Video Doorbell 4. You can ask Alexa to show you the view from your Video Doorbell on the Echo Show device. If you have a visitor at your door, you can enjoy two-way communications hands-free with your Echo Dot.
Ring Protect: The Ring app includes a free 30-day trial of Ring Video Recording, which lets you save, review, and share recordings from the app. Ring Protect plans are currently* $3.00 per month / $30.00 per year for basic coverage (per camera), or $10.00 per month / $100.00 per year for Protect Plus (unlimited cameras).
*As of September 2021
1 question already asked