About the Shure BETA 27
High output BETA Series mics
High output BETA Series mics
Shure has been setting the standard for audio for over 80 years. They engineered their BETA® Series mics to provide powerful output and resistance to feedback, and their rugged construction ensures they'll stand up to the tough conditions you'll find on the road.
The BETA 27's supercardioid design lets you pick out only the sounds you want to hear.
Precision engineered for quality sound
Whether you need to capture the warmth of an acoustic bass, the reedy growl of a tenor sax, or the shimmer of a piano obbligato, Shure's BETA 27 microphone is ready for the job. This versatile side-address condenser mic offers the exceptionally flat frequency response required to accurately capture the sound of acoustic instruments, percussion, keyboards, and the human voice.
For stage or studio
Its tight supercardioid pattern does a great job of isolating the instrument that's miked, rejecting sound from other instruments on stage or in the studio. A switchable attenuator allows this mic to handle very high sound pressure levels, and you can use the 3-position low-frequency filter to tailor the mic for the job at hand.
- designed for acoustic instruments, keyboards, and studio vocals
- side-address condenser microphone
- gold-plated Mylar diaphragm
- supercardioid pattern for superior noise rejection and high gain before feedback
- 3-position switchable low-frequency filter
- -15 dB switchable attenuator
- gold-plated internal and external connectors
- internal pop filter
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: -37 dBV/Pa
- output impedance: 160 ohms
- maximum SPL: 140 dB
- requires 48-volt phantom power on your mixer or audio interface
- weight: 16.1 oz
- male XLR connector
- adjustable stand adapter
- storage bag
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # BETA 27
What's in the box:
- Beta 27 Condenser microphone
- Threaded stand-mount
- 3/8" - 5/8" Thread-adapter
- Padded vinyl carry-case
- Hook-and-loop cable fastener
- Owner's manual
- Warranty sheet
- Safety precautions
- Online registration card
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Shure BETA 27
Features & specs
|Application||For live & studio use|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Shure Beta 27 is a high-quality professional microphone for studio recording and live performance applications. It features an extremely flat frequency response and low self-noise, providing transparent reproduction of your sound source. It contains many useful features, such as a 3-way low cut filter and an attenuator for handling high volume sources. The Beta 27 features a 1" externally-biased, ultra-thin 24 karat gold-layered Mylar diaphragm that's tailored for a superior transient response. The microphone comes with a swiveling stand-mount, a 3/8" to 5/8" thread-adapter, and a padded zippered carrying case.
Pickup Pattern: The Beta 27 is a premium side-address condenser microphone with a supercardioid pickup pattern. This type of pattern specifically targets the sound source while minimizing bleed from off-axis sound sources. The front of the microphone is marked by the rectangular Shure logo, which should be positioned toward the sound source. The rear of the microphone contains the two switches and Shure's smaller round "S" logo.
Applications: Typical applications for the Shure Beta 27 include:
- Close-miking of acoustic instruments (piano, guitar, violins, drums, and percussion)
- Brass and woodwind instruments
- Overhead miking for drums or percussion
- Orchestras, choirs, wind ensembles
Mounting: The Beta 27 comes with the ShureLock swivel mount, which provides a secure mount to a floor stand or a boom stand. The swivel mount screws onto the threads at the base of the microphone, and lets you tilt the microphone forward or backward over 180°.
Selectable Low Frequency Response: The microphone is equipped with a selectable low-frequency response switch. This 3-way switch on the back of the microphone can be used to reduce wind noise, room noise, or proximity effect. Available settings include:
- Flat: In this position, the filter is not active, and the full frequency response is attained.
- Low Frequency Cutoff: This position applies a 18 dB-per-octave cutoff at 80Hz. This helps eliminate floor rumble, and low-frequency room noise from heating and air conditioning systems. It can also compensate for the proximity effect, or to eliminate low frequencies that can muddy the sound of an instrument.
- Low Frequency Rolloff: This position provides a gentler, 6 dB-per-octave rolloff at 115Hz. It can be used to compensate for the proximity effect, or reduce low frequencies that cause an instrument to sound muddy.
Attenuation Switch: When miking sources with high SPLs (close-miked drums and guitar cabinets), the attenuation switch on the back can prevent overloading the microphone. When activated, the switch reduces the signal level by 15dB without altering the frequency response.
Internal Pop Filter: The Beta 27's grille consists of three separate mesh layers that act as a pop filter to help reduce wind and breath noise. In some cases, an external pop-protection screen or windscreen may also be necessary when close-miking vocalists.
Power Requirements: This condenser microphone requires 48 VDC of phantom power, with 5.6 mA of current draw.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Directional Polar Pattern: Supercardioid
- Output Impedance: 160 ohms
- Phantom Power: 48 Vdc
- Current Drain: 5.6 mA typical at 48 Vdc
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 85.5 dB
- Sensitivity (typical, 1000Hz, 1 Pa=94 dB SPL): -37 dBV/Pa
- Maximum SPL at 1000Hz:
- 1000 ohm load: 134 dB, 148 dB w/ pad on
- 2500 ohm load: 140 dB, 154 dB w/ pad on
- Output Clipping Level:
- 1000 ohm load: 2.0 dBV
- 2500 ohm load: 8.5 dBV
- Dynamic Range:
- 1000 ohm load: 125.5 dB
- 2500 ohm load: 131.5 dB
- Self Noise: 8.5 dB
- Connector: 3-Pin, male XLR
- Dimensions: Diameter - 2.21", Length - 6.20"
- Weight: 15.1 oz.