About the Shure KSM32
A voice mic extraordinaire
A voice mic extraordinaire
The Shure KSM32 condenser microphone is designed to meet the needs of highly critical sound reproduction in both studio and live performance settings. Its extremely flat frequency response helps it deliver a transparent reproduction of the sound source.
The KSM32 (right) has a 15 dB attenuation switch that lets it handle high sound pressure levels — such as those from a guitar amp.
Optimized for vocals
The KSM32 can be used in a variety of applications, but it really shines as a vocal mic — solo, background, voice-over, and broadcast. It features an integrated three-stage pop protection grille to reduce breath sounds and "pops." And because many vocalists prefer to hold the mics in hand, the KSM32 has an internal shock mount to reduce the transmission of motion noise. A 15 dB attenuation switch lets this model handle high sound pressure levels, so you can also use it to mike drum kits, and ensembles.
Quality components ensure accurate sound reproduction
This side-address design features an ultra-thin 24k gold-layered Mylar® diaphragm. The Mylar makes it extremely durable — and its low mass ensures accurate transient response. A built-in Class A preamplifier minimizes harmonic and intermodulation distortion, while also eliminating crossover distortion.
- designed for vocal recording and live sound
- permanently biased condenser microphone
- cardioid polar pattern
- ultra-thin low mass Mylar diaphragm for improved transient response
- internal shock mount to minimize motion noise
- integrated three-stage pop protection grille
- switchable low-frequency filter
- 15dB attenuation switch for handling extremely high sound pressure levels
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- output impedance: 150 ohms
- sensitivity: -36 dBV/Pa
- max. SPL: 139 dB
- weight: 17.3 oz.
- XLR connector
- requires 48-volt phantom power on your mixer or audio interface
- padded zipper bag
- ShureLock® stand mount
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # KSM32/CG
What's in the box:
- KSM32 Cardioid condenser microphone (charcoal gray)
- ShureLock stand mount
- Stand adapter (5/8"-to-5/16")
- Padded zippered carrying case
- User Guide
- Warranty sheet
- Safety Precautions
- Online Registration sheet
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Shure KSM32
Features & specs
|Application||For live & studio use|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Shure KSM32 is a high-quality professional microphone for studio recording and live performance applications. It features an extremely flat, extended frequency response, and provides transparent reproduction of your sound source. It contains many useful features, such as a 3-way low cut filter and an attenuator for handling high volume sources. This KSM32/CG (charcoal gray) model comes with a swiveling stand mount, a stand adapter, and a padded zippered carrying bag.
Pickup Pattern: The KSM32 is a premium side-address condenser microphone with a cardioid pickup pattern. The front of the microphone is marked by the rectangular Shure logo, and this side should be positioned toward the sound source. The rear of the microphone contains the two switches and Shure's smaller round "S" logo.
Applications: Typical applications for the Shure KSM32 include:
- Voice and vocals
- Close-miking of acoustic instruments (piano, guitar, violins, drums, and percussion)
- Brass and woodwind instruments
- Low-frequency instruments (double bass, kick drum)
- Overhead miking for drums or percussion
- Orchestras, choirs, wind ensembles
- Room ambience pick-up (guitar amplifier or drums)
Mounting: The KSM32/CG comes with the ShureLock swivel mount, which provides a secure mount to a floor stand or a boom stand. The swivel mount screws onto the threads at the base of the microphone, and lets you tilt the microphone forward or backward over 180°.
Selectable Low Frequency Response: The microphone is equipped with a selectable low-frequency response switch. This 3-way switch on the back of the microphone can be used to reduce wind noise, room noise, or proximity effect. Available settings include:
- Flat: In this position, the filter is not active, and the full frequency response is attained.
- Low Frequency Cutoff: This position applies a 15 dB-per-octave cutoff at 80Hz. This helps eliminate floor rumble, and low-frequency room noise from heating and air conditioning systems. It can also compensate for the proximity effect, or to eliminate low frequencies that can muddy the sound of an instrument.
- Low Frequency Rolloff: This position provides a gentler, 6 dB-per-octave rolloff at 115Hz. It can be used to compensate for the proximity effect, or reduce low frequencies that cause an instrument to sound muddy.
Attenuation Switch: When miking sources with high SPLs (close-miked drums and guitar cabinets), the attenuation switch on the back can prevent overloading the microphone. When activated, the switch reduces the signal level by 15dB without altering the frequency response.
Internal Pop Filter: The KSM32's grille consists of three separate mesh layers that act as a pop filter to help reduce wind and breath noise. In some cases, an external pop-protection screen or windscreen may also be necessary when close-miking vocalists.
Power Requirements: This condenser microphone requires phantom power and performs optimally with a 48 Vdc power supply. It can operate with a power supply as low as 11 Vdc, but with lower sensitivity and headroom. Phantom power can only be transmitted to the microphone through a cable terminated with XLR connectors at each end. Most modern mixers provide the required phantom power.
- Frequency Response: 20Hz - 20kHz
- Directional Polar Pattern: Cardioid
- Output Impedance: 150 ohms
- Phantom Power: 48 Vdc ±4 Vdc positive pins 2 and 3
- Current Drain: 4.65 mA typical at 48 Vdc
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 81 dB
- Sensitivity (typical, 1000Hz, 1 Pa=94 dB SPL): -36 dBV/Pa (16 mV)
- Maximum SPL at 1000Hz:
- 2500 ohms load (attenuator on): 139 (154) dB
- 1500 ohms load (attenuator on): 133 (148) dB
- Output Clipping Level: +9 dBV (2500 ohms load); +3 dBV (1000 ohms load)
- Dynamic Range: 126 dB (2500 ohms load); 119 dB (1000 ohms load)
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD) 2500 ohms load: <0.08% for a 120 dB equivalent SPL input