About the Shure MOTIV™ MV51
A USB mic for home recording
Ideal for home recording to computer (laptop not included)
A USB mic for home recording
The Shure MV51 USB microphone is ideal for home recording, podcasting, and video conferencing audio. This large 1” diaphragm condenser mic is especially responsive to the human voice and has five DSP preset modes for optimal recording.
The mic features an all-metal body and an integrated kickstand, so it's easy to set up on a table. And the tip of that kickstand unscrews to reveal a threaded opening. Attach the included threaded adapter and you can mount the MV51 on a standard mic stand (not included).
USB and Lightning connectors
Two cables are provided. One has a standard USB connector that lets you use the MV51 with virtually any computer. The second has a Lightning connector, so you can plug the mic directly into a compatible iPhone® or iPad® for on-the-go mobile recording. The mic's built-in analog-to-digital converter with 16-bit and 24-bit conversion gives you accurate, detailed recordings.
- USB condenser microphone
- for home recording, podcasting, and video conferencing
- 1" diaphragm
- cardioid polar pattern
- all-metal body
- headphone minijack for monitoring
- touch panel controls on microphone
- built-in analog-to-digital 16-bit/24-bit converter
- sampling rates: 44.1 and 48 kHz
- attached kickstand
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: -39 dBFS/Pa at 1 kHz
- max. SPL: 130 dB
- 5-1/16"W x 3-3/8"H x 2-3/4"D
- weight: 20.27 oz.
- mini-USB connector
- USB cable
- Lightning cable
- threaded mic stand adapter
- supports Windows® 7, Windows 8, Mac® OS X Lion, OS X 10.7 and up
- compatible with Lightning-connector iPhones and iPads
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MV51
What's in the box:
- MV51 USB condenser microphone
- 5/8"-to-3/8" Thread adapter
- 41" Digital interface cable (Lightning connector on one end and Micro USB on the other end)
- 41" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- User Guide
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Warnings and Safety Instructions sheet
- MOTIV Headphone Volume sheet
Shure MOTIV™ MV51 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Shure MOTIV™ MV51
Features & specs
|Application||For studio use|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Shure MOTIV digital microphones and devices are designed to be used with many of today's smartphones and tablets for high quality, portable recording anywhere. The MV51 is a large diaphragm condenser microphone that can be used for recording directly to compatible Mac, PC, or iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, and Android devices. The MV51 comes with a Micro-B-to-USB cable and a Micro-B-to-Lightning cable.
Design: The MV51 has a large 1" (25mm) microphone capsule with a unidirectional (cardioid) polar pattern. Its all-metal construction is rigorously tested by Shure for reliable performance. It has touch controls on the front panel, and professional-quality connectors on the back, including a 3.5mm headphone jack, and a Micro USB port. The heavy duty integrated kickstand/mic clip lets you place the microphone on a tabletop, or on any standard 5/8" mic stand (or 3/8" with included thread adapter). The MV51 is powered through the USB or Lightning connector.
ShurePlus MOTIV App: With the ShurePlus MOTIV recording app, you can easily make recordings on your iOS mobile device, PC, or Mac. The app enables you to make up to 24-bit/48 kHz uncompressed recordings on your device. You can also make adjustments to the recording levels, monitor, and play back recordings. When plugged into a PC or Mac, the MV51 device automatically loads the necessary drivers. The microphone is compatible with Windows 7 and 8, and Mac OS X v10.7-10.10. It is also compatible with Android devices that support USB Audio Class 2.0 and Micro-B OTG (On-the-Go) connectivity. The MOTIV mobile app is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 7.0 or 8.0 or later, and is available for download from the App Store.
The app is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone: iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- iPad: iPad 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 1st generation, iPad Mini 2nd generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation
- iPod touch: 5th generation
Preset Modes: The MOTIV app offers five DSP preset modes to match your recording needs:
- Speech: This preset is ideal for capturing speech for podcasting. It offers a narrow pattern to reject background noise, an EQ setting to emphasize clarity and fullness, and gentle compression to keep levels constant.
- Singing: The singing preset is for capturing solo or group vocal performances. It has a medium-width pattern with subtle equalization to add richness and clarity.
- Flat: The signal is completely unprocessed, so you can add processing after the recording is completed.
- Acoustic: The acoustic mode is suitable for quiet music applications involving acoustic instruments. It uses a medium-width pattern and transparent compression to smooth out volume spikes and bring out quiet passages.
- Band: For recording bands and other loud sources, the Band preset should be selected. It uses a wide pattern to capture all of the sound on the stage. Some frequencies are EQ'ed out to make the instrumentation sound less crowded.
Front Panel Controls: The MV51 has the following front panel controls:
- Mode Selector: The Mode Selector lets you choose the desired preset mode.
- Volume Control Slider: You can adjust the microphone or headphone level by sliding your finger across the control surface. A bar of 8 LEDs above the volume control slider indicates the level of the microphone (green) or the headphone level (orange). You can switch between the headphone and microphone levels by pressing the appropriate button.
- Mic Mute: You can quickly mute or unmute the microphone with a dedicated mute button.
Specifications: The MV51 has the following specifications:
- Frequency Response: 20-20kHz
- Rear Panel Connections: 3.5mm headphone jack for monitoring real-time audio or playback audio; Micro-B USB for connecting the MV51 to a Mac, PC, Android or iOS device using the supplied cables
- Recording Resolution: 24-bit or 16-bit rate; 48 kHz or 44.1 kHz sampling rate
- Adjustable Gain Range: 0 to +36dB
- Sensitivity: -39 dBFS/Pa at 1 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 130 dB SPL
- Dimensions: Width 3.411", Height 5.046", Depth 2.48"
- Weight: 20.27 ounces