About the Shure MOTIV™ MV5
Record straight to your computer
Record straight to your computer
The compact Shure MV5 USB microphone is great for informal home recording, podcasting, and video conferencing audio. The 5/8" diaphragm condenser mic captures the human voice accurately and has 3 DSP settings to help you fine tune your recording session.
This ball-shaped mic can easily slip into a pocket for recording on the go. It's flat on one side, so you can simply place it on a desktop angled upwards for recording. Orattach the included tabletop stand to bring the mic closer to your mouth. The package also comes with an adapter for attaching a standard mic stand (not included).
USB and Lightning connectors
Two cables are provided. One has a standard USB connector that lets you use the MV5 with virtually any computer. The second has a Lightning connector, so you can plug the mic directly into a compatible iPhone® or iPad® for mobile recording. The mic's built-in analog to digital converter with 16-bit and 24-bit conversion gives you accurate, detailed recordings.
- USB electret condenser microphone
- for home recording, podcasting, and video conferencing
- 5/8" diaphragm
- cardioid polar pattern
- headphone minijack for monitoring
- built-in analog-to-digital 16-bit/24-bit converter
- sampling rates: 44.1 and 48 kHz
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: -40 dBFS/Pa at 1 kHz
- max. SPL: 130 dB
- 2-5/8"W x 2-5/8"H x 2-9/16"D (with stand: 5-5/8"W x 3-1/2"H x 3-13/16"D)
- weight: 3.17 oz. (with stand 5.64 oz.)
- mini-USB connector
- USB cable
- Lightning cable
- tabletop stand
- threaded mic stand adapter
- supports Windows® 7, Windows 8, Mac® OS X Lion, OS X 10.7 and up
- compatible with Lightning-connector iPhones and iPads
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # MV5-LTG
What's in the box:
- MV5 digital condenser microphone (gray)
- Aluminum desktop stand
- 41" Digital interface cable (Lightning connector on one end and Micro USB on the other end)
- 41" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- User Guide
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Warnings and Safety Instructions sheet
- MOTIV Headphone Volume sheet
More details on the Shure MOTIV™ MV5
Features & specs
|Application||For studio use|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Overview: The Shure MOTIV digital microphones and devices are designed to be used with many of today's smartphones and tablets for high quality, portable recording anywhere. The MV5 is a compact condenser microphone that can be used for recording directly to compatible Mac, PC, or iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, and Android devices. The MV5 comes with an aluminum stand, Micro-B-to-USB cable and a Micro-B-to-Lightning cable.
Design: The spherical MV5 has a unidirectional (cardioid) polar pattern. The mic mute and mode buttons are located on the rear of the microphone. It has a 3.5mm headphone jack that lets you monitor the audio in real time. The Micro USB port on the rear panel is for connecting the mic to your computer or mobile device. The MV5 receives power through the USB or Lightning connector. The 1/4" thread mount can be used to mount the included stand or to mount the mic onto any standard 1/4" camera tripod thread.
ShurePlus MOTIV App: With the ShurePlus MOTIV recording app, you can easily make recordings on your iOS mobile device, PC, or Mac. The app enables you to make up to 24-bit/48 kHz uncompressed recordings on your device. You can also make adjustments to the recording levels, monitor, and play back recordings. When plugged into a PC or Mac, the MV5 device automatically loads the necessary drivers. The microphone is compatible with Windows 7 and 8, and Mac OS X v10.7-10.10. It is also compatible with Android devices that support USB Audio Class 2.0 and Micro-B OTG (On-the-Go) connectivity. The MOTIV mobile app is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch running iOS 7.0 or 8.0 or later, and is available for download from the App Store.
The app is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone: iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus
- iPad: iPad 4th generation, iPad Air, iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 1st generation, iPad Mini 2nd generation, iPad Mini 3rd generation
- iPod touch: 5th generation
Preset Modes: The MOTIV app offers three DSP preset modes to match your recording needs:
- Voice: This preset is ideal for capturing speech or vocals for podcasting and musical applications. It offers a narrow pattern to reject background noise, an EQ setting to emphasize clarity and fullness, and gentle compression to keep levels constant. A de-esser reduces sibilance.
- Instrument: The acoustic mode is suitable for quiet music applications involving acoustic instruments and other live music applications. It uses a medium-width pattern and transparent compression to smooth out volume spikes and bring out quiet passages.
- Flat: The signal is completely unprocessed, so you can add processing after the recording is completed.
Controls: The MV5 has the following controls:
- Mode Selector: The Mode Selector lets you choose the desired preset mode.
- Headphone Volume: You can adjust the headphone level using the rotary dial on the top of the microphone.
- Mic Mute: You can quickly mute or unmute the microphone with the dedicated mute button.
Specifications: The MV5 has the following specifications:
- Frequency Response: 20-20kHz
- Rear Panel Connections: 3.5mm headphone jack for monitoring real-time audio; Micro-B USB for connecting the MV5 to a Mac, PC, Android or iOS device using the supplied cables
- Recording Resolution: 24-bit or 16-bit rate; 48 kHz or 44.1 kHz sampling rate
- Adjustable Gain Range: 0 to +36dB
- Sensitivity: -40 dBFS/Pa at 1 kHz
- Maximum SPL: 130 dB SPL
- Dimensions: Diameter 2.609", Height 2.564", Base Diameter 3.503" Base Height 3.082"
- Weight: 3.17 ounces (w/o stand); 5.64 ounces (w/ stand)
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?