About the Shure SE846
Pleasing the hard-to-please
Pleasing the hard-to-please
Professional musicians and sound engineers aren't easy to impress. We have lots of both here at Crutchfield, and they can be a tough crowd. But any of them would be excited about the sound of the Shure SE846 Sound Isolating earphones. With four balanced armature drivers per earpiece offering astonishing levels of clarity and smoothness, these headphones will impress anyone capable of being moved by music. Use them in the studio, on stage, at home, or out and about to discover what your music should sound like.
The SE846's compact earpieces house four drivers that offer stunning clarity and musicality.
Three-way system with dual bass drivers
What do four drivers mean for sound quality? Each earpiece features a crossover network that sends different frequencies to different drivers. This allows for more clarity and accuracy in the high-, mid-, and low-frequencies as each are being reproduced by dedicated drivers. Two low-frequency drivers form a subwoofer that delivers incredibly deep bass. It employs an innovative low-pass filter to ensure roll-off at between 75 and 250 Hz. That means the extended bass response doesn't muddy the midrange or make these headphones sound "closed off." Instead, they offer balanced sound that is detailed while remaining cohesive and musical.
Tune in your signature sound
In the studio, musicians and producers are looking for accuracy. But on stage or at home listening for pleasure, you may want something a little different. You can adjust the SE846 to your taste using its unique tuning system. Remove the ear tip and "nozzle" in order to swap out the installed "balanced" insert with one of two other options: "warm" and "bright." This is a very cool feature that makes these headphones more versatile while allowing for a wide range of listening preferences.
Studio-quality noise isolation
These headphones are designed to fit snugly in your ears to limit external noise from getting into your monitor mix while recording. There are eight pairs of ear tips in different sizes, shapes, and materials to help create a tight seal. With the right fit, the SE846s offer up to 37dB of noise attenuation. They're great for the studio, so you can focus on your performance and prevent sound from leaking into live microphones. They're also excellent for pleasure-listening in loud environments like city streets or crowded cafes.
Detachable cables that stays out of the way
The SE846 earphones come with two durable Kevlar-reinforced cables that are detachable at each earpiece. The snap-lock connectors ensure they won't get disconnected by a simple tug on the cord. The cables are designed to wrap around your ears with a shapeable wire to help keep them in place. This allows the headphones to stay properly in position and out of your face as you move about, either head-banging on the stage or heading outside to catch a ride back home after a long session in the studio. The SE846 headphones also come with a detachable volume controller and two carrying cases, including a rugged road case that's water-resistant.
- in-ear headphones for music listening or performance monitoring
- four high-definition balanced armature drivers offer detailed, accurate sound with deep bass response
- low-pass filter allows the dedicated bass driver to deliver deep, powerful low frequencies without sacrificing clarity
- up to 37dB of noise attenuation
- adjustable sound signatures via changeable nozzle inserts for balanced (installed), warm, or bright tone
- 64" and 46" detachable Kevlar™ reinforced cables
- cables are designed to wrap over your ears for added security and to keep dangling wires out of the way
- earpiece connectors use a lock-snap mechanism to keep them from accidentally disconnecting
- frequency response: 15-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 114 dB
- impedance: 9 ohms
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- three sizes of soft flex and foam ear tips along with one triple-flange sleeve and one universal-fit foam sleeve
- detachable 64" and 46" headphone cables
- detachable in-line volume controller
- soft, zippered carrying case and water-resistant hard-shell road case
- two sound-tuning nozzles and removal key
- airplane adapter
- clothing clip
- polishing cloth
- MFR # SE846-CL
What's in the box:
- In-ear headphones (clear) with attached 64" cable (right-angled 3.5mm plug)
- 46" Cable (MMCX plugs on one end and right angled 3.5mm plug on other end)
- 3.5mm-to-1/4" Plug adapter
- Airline adapter (female 3.5mm jack on one end and dual 3.5mm plugs on other end)
- In-line attenuation control
- 4 Pairs of black foam sleeves (1 pair installed)
- 1 Pair of yellow foam sleeves
- 3 Pairs of gray soft Flex silicone sleeves
- 1 Pair of Triple Flange sleeves
- 2 Nozzle inserts (white/black)
- Nozzle removal tool
- Polishing cloth
- Hard square zippered case
- Hard road case
- User Guide
- Limited Warranty
- Safety Precautions
- Online Registration card
- Custom Earphone Sleeves promo card
- Ear sleeve fit guide
Shure SE846 reviews
Probably among the best in-ear phones on the consumer market!
Pros: Audiophile sound quality that one may take practically anywhere with them!
Cons: A bit pricey, but worth it.
0 of 0 found this helpful
Utterly enjoyable! They were a quantum leap better than any IEM ( inner ear monitor) or headphone, I had ever heard. Pristine clarity and resolution combined with very satisfying and tight bass. Distortion is not even on the distant horizon! The sound tuning options are useful, as I got an even better sound quality ( according to my preferences). I liked them so much ( particularly, while using my Oppo HA2 portable headphone amplifier and DAC), I also ordered custom molded silicone sleeves. These give a much better noise isolating seal, approximating IEMs that are custom built for your ears. Expert reviewers say this kind of custom seal is transforming for high end IEMs. I concur. The custom sleeves from available from a parter firm.
Pros: Clarity, absence of any noticeable distortion, full range excellent sound, from the lowest of lows to the highest of highs.Allow the use of high quality DAC/ amplifiers that can really be a dramatic upgrade ( not so obvious in cheap headphones)
Cons: They work so much better with the custom sleeves! However, there is an extra cost. Also, the sleeves create bulk. However, the enjoyment they provide is well worth it.
8 of 9 found this helpful
More details on the Shure SE846
Features & specs
|Earcup Width x Height|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||15-20k Hz|
|Cord Length||64" + 46"|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
Quad High-Definition MicroDrivers: The Shure SE846 Sound Isolating Earphones deliver crystal clear, spacious sound with rich, low bass performance. These in-ear headphones are equipped with Quad High-Definition MicroDrivers: Dual vented Low-frequency MicroDrivers, a Mid-frequency MicroDriver, and a High Frequency MicroDriver. An internal 3-way crossover routes the high, mid, and low frequencies to the dedicated drivers for maximum detail and clarity.
Low Pass Filter: The built-in low-pass filter is composed of ten small stainless-steel plates that are laser-welded to the front of the driver assembly to form 4 inches of high acoustic mass pass which naturally allows the lows to start rolling-off at 75Hz without distortion or artifacts. To keep from affecting the mids and highs, the filter rolls the bass signal off -3dB at 90Hz, and --10dB at 250Hz. This design gives the SE846 unparalleled bass performance with very low distortion.
Sound Signature Customization: The SE846 Sound Isolating Earphones comes with three interchangeable nozzle inserts to let you personalize your listening experience. The inserts allow you to customize the frequency response for the desired sound signature. Out of the box, the earphones have a blue nozzle insert with a neutral response for a balanced sound signature. If you desire a brighter sound, you can swap the blue insert for the white one, which boosts the response in the 1kHz to 8kHz frequency band by +2.5dB. To get a warmer sound, you should insert the black nozzle insert for a -2.5dB cut in the 1kHz-8kHz band. A nozzle removal tool is included.
Dual Detachable Kevlar-reinforced Cables: The earphones come with two Kevlar-reinforced cables (64" and 46") to let you choose which length is best for your activity. The cables are reinforced with durable Kevlar for long life. A formable over-the-ear wire ensures the earphones stay in place and keeps them out of the way. The cable plugs into the earphone with a nickel-plated MMCX connection and a lock-snap mechanism that allows 360° rotation. This relieves stress on the cable connection to prevent failure.
Premium Fit Kit: The SE846 comes with a Premium Fit Kit with a multitude of sound isolating sleeves. The sound isolating sleeves block ambient noise (up to about 37dB), while ensuring a comfortable and customized fit. A good seal is required for optimal sound isolation and bass response, and maximum comfort for extended wear. The Premium Fit Kit comes with the following types of sleeves:
- Soft Flex Sleeves: The Soft Flex sleeves are made of cone-shaped pliable rubber. Sizes include Small, Medium, and Large.
- Soft Foam Sleeves: The Soft Foam sleeves compress and expand to form a tight seal in your ear canal. Sizes include Small, Medium (2), and Large.
- Yellow Foam Sleeves: One pair of yellow foam sleeves is included. These sleeves are cylindrical in shape, and compress and expand to fit your ear canal.
- Triple-Flange Sleeves: The Triple-Flange Sleeves are made of soft, white rubber with three flanges of increasing diameter to fit the shape of your ear canal. One pair of Triple-Flange sleeves is included.
Note: The SE846s are compatible with custom-molded ear sleeves made by Sensaphonics. Information on custom sleeves is available directly from Shure.
Accessory Plugs: The SE846 in-ear headphones are designed for use on stage, or for leisure. The headphones include a 3.5mm-to-1/4" adapter so you can use your headphones with your home audio components or professional sound consoles with a 1/4" headphone jack. An airline adapter is also included so you can enjoy the in-flight entertainment provided on most airlines. A plug-in volume control (with a 7" cable) is included for use with high-output audio sources where you don't have easy control of the volume, particularly on airline armrests.
Carrying Case: The SE846s come with a semi-hard, compact carrying case that will protect your headphones. The headphones come in a crush-proof road case that can also be used for storage, if desired.
- Transducer Types: Quad balanced-armature MicroDrivers
- Frequency Response: 15Hz - 20kHz
- Sensitivity (1 kHz): 114 dB SPL/mW
- Impedance: 9 ohms
- Net weight: 1.3 ounces
Q Crutchfield asked: Why did you buy this?
1 question already asked