XLR-to-USB signal adapter with headphone output
Our take on the Shure X2u by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Use your favorite microphone to record directly to your computer. The Shure X2u XLR-to-USB adapter makes it easy. The adapter comes with a 9.8-foot USB cable, so you can position your microphone on a stand for recording. The adapter's headphone jack lets you monitor as you record, and a mix control lets you balance the input signal with recorded sound to hear your take with zero latency.
- XLR-to-USB signal adapter
- stereo headphone minijack
- monitor mix control for zero-latency monitoring
- frequency response: 20-20,000 Hz
- sampling rate: up to 48 kHz
- 16-bit recording
- adjustable gain range: 40 dB
- Mac®: OS X v10.1 or later
- PC: Windows® 2000, Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Windows 7
- USB 1.1 or 2.0 port
- padded zipper pouch
- 9.8-foot USB cable
- 1-3/16"W x 1-1/16"H x 5"L
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- XLR-to-USB signal adapter
- 10' USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Type B USB on other end)
- Two 5" Hook-and-Loop strips
- Padded zippered pouch
- User Guide
- Online Registration card
- Safety Precaution card
Why Shop With Us?10 Reasons.
Overview: The Shure X2u is an adapter that converts an XLR microphone into a USB mic for digital recording. It has a female XLR receptacle on one end and a female Type B USB port on the other end. The X2u comes with a 10' USB cable, two hook-and-loop straps for attaching the adapter to a microphone stand, and a padded zippered pouch.
Compatibility: The X2u is compatible with the following Windows and Mac operating systems:
- Windows 8.1 64-bit
- Windows 8
- Windows 7
- Windows Vista
- Windows XP
- Windows 2000
- Mac OS X 10.1 or later
Phantom Power: The X2u has a +48V Phantom Power switch for condenser microphones. It should be switched off when using with dynamic microphones that do not require phantom power to conserve battery life when connected to a laptop. An orange LED will illuminate when Phantom Power is switched on.
Controls: The X2u has three rotary controls for adjusting levels. The Mic Gain control adjusts the microphone input level before the analog-to-digital conversion. The Volume control adjusts the output of the headphone jack. The Monitor control dial blends the pre-recorded playback from the computer with the live audio from the microphone.
Indicators: A tri-color peak level indicator shows the level of the audio input. It should glow a steady green while recording, occasionally glowing yellow at the highest sound volumes. If the indicator glows red, you should lower the Mic Gain. A green USB light illuminates when the adapter is connected to your computer via USB to indicate you are ready to record.
Headphone Jack: The X2u features a side-mounted 3.5mm headphone jack that allows you to directly monitor the microphone signal. This monitor output has none of the delay that occurs if you were to monitor the signal through the computer's headphone output. The X2u's headphone output also allows you to monitor previously recorded tracks while recording a new track.
- Frequency Response: 20 to 20,000 Hz +/-1dB
- Input Impedance: 1.6 kΩ
- Power Requirements: USB-powered, 500 mA, maximum
- Phantom Power Supply: 48 V, 10 mA
- Digital Noise Floor (20Hz-20kHz, A-weighted):
- Minimum Mic Gain setting: -81 dB FS
- Maximum Mic Gain setting: -78 dB FS
- Sampling Rate: up to 48 kHz
- Bit Depth: 16-bit
- Adjustable Gain Range: 50 dB
- Headphone Output: 3.5mm (1/8") 60 mW at 32Ω
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.