About the Thorens TD 170-1 EV
A versatile automatic turntable
A versatile automatic turntable
When word got out that we'd be carrying Thorens turntables, the news created a buzz amongst Crutchfield's knowledgeable community of record collectors. The resurgence of vinyl for a new generation of music lovers has brought this venerable and respected Swiss company — it started making music boxes and clockworks in 1883 — back to the forefront of turntable production, right where it belongs.
The company's mid-level TD 170-1 EV is fully automatic, and plays records at 33-1/3, 45, and 78 rpm. Its built-in phono preamp lets you plug directly into a receiver or pair of powered stereo speakers and start listening to records quickly.
- automatic start, stop, and tonearm return
- heavy 12" aluminum platter reduces resonance and noise
- 33-1/3, 45 and 78 rpm speeds (electronic speed change)
- 78 rpm playback of some older pressings requires Audio-Technica VM670SP or similar stylus (stylus not included)
- one-piece Thorens TP 18 tonearm for superior rigidity and low resonance
- includes factory-installed Ortofon OM10 moving magnet cartridge
- integrated phono preamp
- medium density fiberboard (MDF) base with structured enamel finish four shock-absorbing rubber feet
- wow and flutter: ±0.12%
- frequency response: 10-22,000 Hz
- signal-to-noise ratio: 68 dB
- designed and manufactured in Germany
- 17-3/8"W x 4-11/16"H (with dust cover down) x 14-3/16"D
- weight: 10.1 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year (turntable and motor)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # TD 170-1 EV SL
What's in the box:
- Turntable (tonearm/cartridge pre-installed)
- Platter (pre-installed)
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- 45 RPM adapter
- Dust cover
- 2 Hinges
- Instruction Manual
- Important Note
- "Thank You" letter
- "Attention" note
More details on the Thorens TD 170-1 EV
3-Speed Fully Automatic Operation: The Thorens TD 170-1 EV turntable offers fully automatic operation for playback of 33-1/3, 45 (adapter included), and 78* RPM records. When you start playback, the tonearm will automatically move to the lead-in groove. You can also choose to manually place the tonearm on the record. When the record has finished playing, the tone arm automatically will return to the tone arm rest and the turntable will shut off. You can also manually stop playback before the record reaches the end and the tone arm will lift and return to the tone arm rest and the turntable will shut off.
Note: A 45 RPM adapter is included. *78 RPM records require a special stylus/cartridge assembly that is sold separately
Belt-Driven Aluminum Platter: The turntable features a 12" low-resonance aluminum platter with felt mat that is belt driven. The belt, platter, and mat all come pre-installed.
Tonearm w/ Pre-Mounted Cartridge: The Thorens TD 170-1 EV turntable features a pre-installed 8.3" one-piece aluminum straight tonearm with pre-mounted Ortofon M10 moving magnet (MM) cartridge featuring an elliptical stylus that provides exceptional sound with a frequency response of 10-22,000Hz.
MDF Plinth: The turntable features a medium density fiberboard (MDF) plinth (base) with four integrated shock-absorbing rubber feet to prevent unwanted vibration. Its available in a black or silver finish.
Built-in Phono Preamp: The built-in phono preamp allows you to connect this turntable directly to a line-level input on your receiver or integrated amplifier. The turntable features an attached 44" stereo RCA cable with ground wire that connects to a line-level input on the back of your receiver or integrated amp.
Note: The turntable's built-in phono preamp cannot be turned off. Because this turntable has a built-in phono preamp, it should never be connected to a dedicated phono input of a receiver or integrated amplifier.
AC Power Adapter: The turntable operates off of standard household current using the supplied external AC power adapter.
Dust Cover: The Thorens TD 170-1 EV turntable comes with a high-quality acrylic cover to keep dust away. The dust cover comes with two hinges and will need to be installed.