- in-wall speaker selector for distributed audio systems
- quickly switch between two pairs of connected speakers
- play music through pair A, pair B, or both pairs at the same time
- supports in-wall speaker wire (up to 14-gauge)
- handles up to 600 watts RMS per channel
- includes Decora®-style faceplate
- requires a standard single-gang bracket or electrical box for installation (not included)
- 2-3/4"W x 4-9/16"H x 2-7/8"D
- 3" of mounting depth required to accommodate speaker connections
- warranty: 10 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- MFR # FG00395
What's in the box:
- AB-2D speaker/amplifier selector with attached circuit board
- 1 White Decora faceplate
- 2 Device screws
- 2 Faceplate screws
- Installation & Operation Guide
- Warranty and Registration Card
See the difference between "Open Box" and "Scratch & Dent" Outlet items
Niles AB-2D reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Niles AB-2D
In-Wall Speaker Selector: The Niles AB-2D is a wall-mount, Decora-style speaker selector with a single amplifier input and two sets of speaker outputs. With the AB-2D, you can have the amplifier power either pair of speakers (A or B), or both pairs simultaneously (A+B).
- Printed Circuit Boards: The printed circuit board design uses no hand wiring, assuring high reliability.
- Switch Contacts: The self-cleaning, silver-plated switch contacts assure many years of trouble-free use.
- Isolated Grounds: Isolated left and right-channel grounds ensure safety with any amplifier.
Impedance Load Compatibility: The Niles AB-2D can be used with 4-, 6-, or 8-ohm speaker systems. When both pairs of speakers are selected on the AB-2D, they are connected to the amplifier in parallel. This will lower the overall impedance load presented to the amplifier.
- If two pairs of 8 ohm speakers are selected on the AB-2D, their parallel impedance load will be 4-ohms.
- If two pairs of 4 ohm speakers are selected on the AB-2D, their parallel impedance load will be 2-ohms.
Note: The AB-2D does not provide impedance protection for your connected amplifier. Make sure your amplifier is capable of handling the appropriate parallel impedance loads.
Speaker Wire Connection: The Niles AB-2D will accept stranded copper wire up to 14-gauge. Larger (lower gauge) wire is not recommended, as it will not fit into the connectors. Solid-core, aluminum, or "Romex" wire is not recommended. Most states require in-wall speaker wire to have a specific "CL" fire rating.
Mounting Options: You can install the AB-2D in just about any location where in-wall space exists, though it should not be installed into an electrical box with 110 volt devices, such as light switches or dimmers. Speaker wire can act as an antenna for electrical noise, and locating speaker wire too close to a light switch or dimmer may cause the speakers to emit a popping or buzzing sound.
- The AB-2D must be installed using a standard light switch plaster ring (p-ring) or a standard 18 cubic inch (or larger) electrical box.
- The mounting depth of the AB-2D is 2-1/2". When installed, the unit extends 2" behind the sheetrock (assuming 1/2" sheetrock).
- The Decora-style insert and buttons on the AB-2D are removable, allowing you to substitute a different color insert and buttons.
Required Tools: To install the AB-2D, you will need the following tools: #2 Phillips screwdriver, 1/8" standard slotted screwdriver, 1/4" standard slotted screwdriver, and wire stripper. Other tools may be required to prepare the wall and electrical box or p-ring to accept the AB-2D.
- Power Handling: 600 watts/channel RMS
- Frequency Response: 20 to 20,000 Hz
- Impedance: compatible with 4-, 6-, and 8-ohm speaker systems
- Speaker Selector: W=1.402", H=4.061", D=2.834"
- Faceplate: W=2.762", H=4.515"