About the Niles ABS-1 FG00271
Here's the scenario: You've already wired your house with remote speakers in different rooms, all being driven by your main receiver. There's a separate audio system in your bedroom, and you'd like to use its amplifier to play the audio through the same speakers you've got wired to your multi-room system. But how do you wire two amplifiers to the same set of speakers without damaging your equipment?
The Niles ABS-1 solves that problem. It provides safe switching between two amplifiers — like the one in your main system and the one in your bedroom — and a single pair of speakers. Operation is automatic: when the ABS-1 senses a signal from your secondary amp, it passes it on to the speakers. The speakers in the rest of the house are unaffected, so your main system continues to play elsewhere.
Now, back to our scenario: Install the ABS-1, and when you want to listen to your smaller system through your bedroom speakers, just turn it on and the ABS-1 does the rest.
- speaker-level inputs and outputs
- requires unswitched AC power
- sensitivity and delay controls
- 6-1/4"W x 2-7/8";H x 3-13/16"D
- warranty: 2 years
What's in the box:
- Signal-Activated amplifier A-B switch
- AC adapter (16VAC/800mA) with an attached 6.5' cord with a male mini-jack connector on other end
- Installation Guide
- "Important" tag on AC adapter
Niles ABS-1 FG00271 reviews
Thanks for submitting your review
More details on the Niles ABS-1 FG00271
Product Overview: The ABS-1 is designed specifically to enable two audio sources to use one set of stereo speakers. The speakers are connected to the device using spring-loaded push terminals. The ABS-1 will automatically switch back and forth between the "A" and "B" inputs based on signal level sensed by the unit at the "B" input.
Product Features: The ABS-1 offers the following features.
- Integrates a local, independent audio source into an existing speaker installation
- Signal-activated switch requires no user action
- Will not interrupt other speakers in the house
- Adjustable delay for switching back to the main source
- Adjustable switching-trigger level
- Compact design remains out of sight
- Power handling of 600 watts RMS
- Powered by wall-mounted AC transformer (included)
Sensitivity Controls: Adjust the sensitivity control clockwise until the switch activates and you can hear the audio through the connected speakers. You will hear the relays in the ABS-1 "click" when triggered. By turning the sensitivity knob clockwise you can increase the sensitivity up to 5 watts and by turning it counter-clockwise you can decrease the sensitivity down to .2 watts. Once the "B" input senses the set amount of input level it will activate the "B" speaker turn off the "A" speaker. Once the input level goes below that input level it will switch back to speaker "A" after a set amount of time.
Delay Controls: Adjust the delay control clockwise to increase or counter-clockwise to decrease the delay time. This control sets the amount of time the ABS-1 will switch from "B" speaker back to "A" once the "B" input is removed. This delay time may be set between 1/4 of a second and 30 seconds. The delay time takes into account certain events that occur during the playback of sources such as the time a CD player takes to change discs or tracks.
- Speaker-Level Power Handling: 600 watts/channel continuous (RMS)
- Minimum Trigger Level: .2 watts
- Delay-Control Range: adjustable from 0.25 to 30 seconds
- Frequency Response: Flat from 20 to 20 kHz
- Connectors: Spring-loaded push terminals
- Power Requirements: 18 volts/300mA, use wall-mounted AC transformer (included)
- Weight: 1.25 lbs
3 questions already asked